PDA

View Full Version : 'X' dies.

JeffinNZ
02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Team.

I have done some reading on 'X' dies and they do appear to be a rather clever idea. For those that FL size for autos it seems like the Mecca of dies.

Who is using them and are they really as good as the hype suggests?

Johnch
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Yep they work

I use them for 223 and 308
LOL you can even shorten your brass if you set them up wrong
I took full length sized 223 brass that just needed to be trimmed and shortened it to just under max length with a pass through the X die

But I have broken the expander / decapping stem several times
When I sized range pick up brass with rocks in them
And when the flash hole is off set badly

But a call to RCBS got me a new one for free
I called again , so I have a spare

John

kodiak1
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I use them for the 25-06 and the 22-250 and like them a lot.
Ken.

Chunky Monkey
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I think I'm get an X-die for 223. I've read enough that I'm willing to give it a try. I'm also tired of constantly trimming thousands of pieces of brass. :(

MT Gianni
02-04-2009, 11:53 PM
I use it in 30-30 and like the results. It is one of the thinner necked cartridges and I don't need to trim.

Jon K
02-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Me too, 30-30... They grow too fast..........X dies are th cure.

Jon

C A Plater
02-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Another .30-30 X die user. Gone from trimming after every use to maybe once to even out the case mouth on some range brass.

acemedic13
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
1 want one in 308. Are they used as a set, or is it just the sizing die that does the trimming?

Willbird
02-05-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-22078.html

It does look like you have to watch for the formation of a "donut" where the neck joins the shoulder. This could create a dangerous conditions if your bullets are getting seated into that area. This "donut" is most often encountered otherwise in neck turned brass, the result can be a case where the bullet is wedged between the case and the chamber...IE an interference fit between the neck of the loaded round and the chamber.

Bill

C A Plater
02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
1 want one in 308. Are they used as a set, or is it just the sizing die that does the trimming?

It is just the sizing die so if you already have a set then you just need the one.

Russel Nash
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I think another tool complimentary to the X die is the Possum Hollow cutter/trimmer from Sinclair International.

Let's see if I can find that YouTube video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nDelSKf8

IIRC, the directions for the X die says to size either with a regular size die or to use the RCBS X die with the mandrel screwed up.

Then you trim all that brass, I think, 20 thousandths under the trim to length.

But don't hold me to that, I should probably re-read the directions again.

Then go ahead and load them up and shoot them.

Then you use the RCBS X sizer die with the mandrel screwed down. That's what keeps the neck or case from growing.

There is a video up on http://www.rcbs.com/ that shows a cutaway X die and how the mandrel works.

acemedic13
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks plater, I thought that was the case.

GSPKurt
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The Lee collet sizer die does the same thing, I believe.

Larry Gibson
02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
The Lee collet sizer die does the same thing, I believe.

Negative on the Lee Collet dies "doing the same thing". The Lee collet dies only neck size. The RCBS X-Die full length sizes.

I did a rather extesive test with the .308W X-die used to reload 7.62 NATO cases. The results of that test are in this thread;http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2413&highlight=RCBS+X-die . I got 20 firings with 19 of 20 LC cases used in the test. The one loss lasted for 16 firings. No trimming was necessary and the so called "donut" did not thicken enough to cause any problem. When you need to FL size neck turned cases (I generally don't FL until they've been NS'd and fired 8+ times) then it is a simply matter to lightly turn the neck again to remove the "donut" if it bothers you.

I generally do not trim the cases the first time as the directions say. Of a given lot I mic 10 cases and take the longest one and adjust the die to that case per the directions. Most chamber necks are a lot longer than new case necks so I simply make sure it is not to long for the chamber. I actually have my X-dies all adjusted for a max length that fits all chambers. The minimal stretching that new brass takes to reach that length has not shortened case life.

I currently use X-dies in; .223, 6.5 Swede, 30-30, .308W, 30-'06 and 8x57. I do wish RCBS would expand their selection of X-dies. I now consider them as 1st choice if full length resizing on a regular basis and when loading cartridges for use in multiple rifles.

Larry Gibson

GSPKurt
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Negative on the Lee Collet dies "doing the same thing". The Lee collet dies only neck size. The RCBS X-Die full length sizes.

D'OH! Never mind...

Meatco1
02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I use the 30-06 X-Die for my Garand. They do a dandy job for me!!

Richard

Chunky Monkey
02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Anyone using the X-die for 223 in an AR?

I'm gonna get an X-die but should I get the small base X-die or not. Right now I use a small base die when I first size them then I only use the regular RCBS sizing die from there on out.

Any thoughts on the X-die for 223?

Thanks

Patrick L
02-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I use one for .223 in an AR, and they are just dandy! I did not bother with the small base one as most AR chambers will be on the generous side unless you have a match chamber.

I also have an '06 X die and am just as pleased with that. In fact, my match M1 has a tight chamber, and still no problems with the standard X die.