PDA

View Full Version : loading 44-40

targetshootr
02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
The other day I decided to load some more 44-40 with rcbs dies and it didn't take long to notice something is wrong. They've always been hard to chamber but I figured it ws oddball brass so I checked the first few in a Ruger cylinder and same problem. So I pulled one off after sizing and the case won't even chamber. Any ideas are welcome. I tried to call rcbs but their phone has been busy for two days.

tonyb
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
What do the cylinders on the Ruger mic out to be?
What do the cases mic out to be after sizing?
Are they Cowboy Action dies?
Try a different die, Lee ect.

targetshootr
02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I heard Hornady makes an excellent sizing die but it's pricey. l'll get rcbs on the phone eventually to see if their cowboy die is any different. This happens in all of my 44-40 Ruger cylinders so I haven't measured anything.

targetshootr
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I mailed it to rcbs today along with five fired cases. On their website they give those instructions for returning sizing dies so it must be a common problem.

TNsailorman
02-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40 and I load ammo for it with RCBS Cowboy dies with no problem. I have loaded both Winchester and Starline brass. Keep us posted on what the findings are and what RCBS did about it. I have always gotten top notch service from them. James

FromTheWoods
02-06-2009, 03:40 AM
I have the .38-40/10mm Ruger Buckeye. Pretty much the same cartridge as the .44-40.

Did you check your crimp? Too much crimp or too long of cases will cause bulging at the crimp.

Is your sizing die screwed down tightly--and enough to size the base of the case? Sometimes if the die is too high, cases will not go the last 1/8-1/4 inch into the chamber.

How about cartridge Overall Length? If the bullet is seated too far out, no fit.

And maybe try a different type of bullet?

I know you said the case wouldn't chamber fresh from the sizing die and without a bullet crimped on, but it has to be something. The crimp die may close the mouth enough to let that unloaded case chamber.

When I started loading for the .38-40, I had the same problem. No long cases and Die adjustment solved the problem.

missionary5155
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Good morning
You are not alone in this 44-40 case size situation.

Fired brass from my 1992 44-40 Winny will NOT chamber in my 44-40 Colt New Service. Bore and Throat sizes are .003+ different. So I segregate my brass to the firearm. I only neck size. If I carry both with me on desert tromps (rare) I load the winny with 7 + rounds of itīs ammo and carry extra revolver ammo which will fire in the rifle but accuracy doubles + at 50 yards. But then I am mot looking to have to "Repel Boarders" or toooo many LLamas out in the desert. Wild dogs maybe but they usually give me lots of clearance and 1 shot to the biggest brute convinces the rest I am not part of the food chain.
My dies here are older RCBS and work well for the COLT but would be MUCH to tight for the WINNY. BUT I ONLY neck size my brass and keep it seperate.
Mike God Bless you.

August
02-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Common situation with dies in this caliber. Most successful reloaders of 44 WCF and 38 WCF report having to take a little material off the bottom of the die or the top of the shell holder to get the shoulder set back properly. That has been my personal experience too.

Lloyd Smale
02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
ive had to do this myself. There are to many variations in size of dies made by manufactures probably due to the fact that theres so many differnces in the reamers over the years that have cut the chambers. Most of the time a little grinding on the bottom of the die will push the shoulder back enough so they chamber well.
Common situation with dies in this caliber. Most successful reloaders of 44 WCF and 38 WCF report having to take a little material off the bottom of the die or the top of the shell holder to get the shoulder set back properly. That has been my personal experience too.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I didn't think it through as well as Lloyd did, I ordered the Lee Factory Crimp die. Now they all fit. I'm not really pushing great accuracy out of an 1873 Uberti clone, perhaps I should try.