PDA

View Full Version : In-Line .50 - what's yours?

huntinlever
01-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Anticipating next year, and having no clue on makes of the last several years, I was wondering what you use for an in-line deer woods gun. Probably scoped, as much as I hate it. Under $500, if possible. I've fired a few flintlocks and loved them but won't be hunting with anything other than an in-line.

Maybe more generally, what to look for and what to avoid in an in-line?

FWIW, fan of Hal Blood, rewatched an Ontario deer hunt with a scoped Encore Pro-Hunter, with 100 grains Triple 7 and 250 grains Shockwave bonded. Probably dated I imagine.

panhed65
01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
My inline is a T/C omega, a good rifle but not made anymore. really accurate.
Barry

Wheelguns 1961
01-23-2023, 07:56 PM
I have a cva optima, and have always liked it. Simple, functional, and accurate, I paid $319 for it a couple years ago. My sister asked me to get one for my BIL. They redesigned the ramrod to make them cheaper. What a joke! This kind of ruined it for me.

Midohhntr
01-23-2023, 08:58 PM
I have a Traditions Vortek ultralight, paid around 300 for it 5 or so years ago. I like it, it has the Cercoat finish on it with a black stock, even with a scope it’s light to carry.
Also have a Savage 10 ML-2 but they’re no longer made.

BLAHUT
01-23-2023, 09:03 PM
I have a wolf magnum, very accurate, after you finger it out, I use 3 different Lee molds in .50 cal, pure lead, 300+gr to 500+gr bullets,
blackhorn 209 powder, at about 1200FPS, only mag primers, didn't change breach plug, 5 shots one jagged hole, at 100 yds with iron sights, am now putting a scope on it.

MarkP
01-23-2023, 09:14 PM
Knight Big Horn and Little Horn (50 cal) LGS had them on clearance a few yrs ago for $199 /ea. SS black comp stocks 209 priming system. Only fired the Little Horn, I got it set up for my daughter. I put on Leopold QD mounts so I can take the scope off when I clean it and flush it with hot soapy water.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2023, 09:19 PM
Traditions Pursuit XLT bought used on Gunbroker for around 2 bills. Added Williams fiber optic sights, feed it the Lee 429-200-RF in a shot over 80 grains T7. Haven't taken anything with it yet but my buddy took two deer this year with those boolits in sabots and knocked 'em dead no problem.

Gtek
01-23-2023, 11:42 PM
Omega, Omega, Omega, a NICE used one! 90 measured of T7 and a red Sabot/tip 250. Yes I still love my caps and pans but this thing is a Laser with that stinking quick load muzzle.

gc45
01-24-2023, 01:09 AM
Mine is a Remington in 45 cal, does it count? Very accurate too.

megasupermagnum
01-24-2023, 02:51 AM
You will see a number of suggestions for the CVA and Traditons guns. I really don't understand the draw to them. They do work. They will fire. Some actually shoot good. It's kind of luck of the draw with them. Quality is all over the map. One guys will shoot near MOA, and 3 others can barely keep theirs on paper. The higher cost ones I really don't understand. If you are going to pay $800+ for an inline rifle, buy a Knight. None of these Spanish imports hold a candle to a Knight. They have the trophies to prove it.

If you are willing to buy used there are some really good ones under $500. Pretty much anything from Thompson Center is good. An Encore is likely over $500. An Omega is likely under $500, and those are really good quality rifles. The Impact is a bargain that also shoots quite well. Knight also has some great used rifles such as the bighorn and BK92.

For new we lost a lot with the closing of TC. Even still, Knight still makes the Vision which is well under $500. If you wait for the sales, a lot of their bolt actions will be under $500.

As for things to avoid, I'd avoid the more oddball inlines that existed before about the 90's. Things like the H&R huntsman and TC scout rifle do work, but they are not perfect. There were a lot of goofy designs then. I'd also avoid most things that require a plastic carrier for a primer. It might not be a deal breaker though, as you can usually get a different breech plug to convert them. I would avoid the odd calibers like 52 and 58 caliber. 58 is a standard caliber, but bullets for that are going to be round ball or conical. 50 and 45 calibers are going to be your bread and butter. I'm unsure of the status of 54 caliber inlines. They used to be somewhat popular, but nothing compared to 45 or 50. I don't think I would worry too much about twist rate. Almost everything is going to be in that 24:1 to 35:1 range. They will all have shallow rifling best for bullets or sabot shooting.

There's nothing dated about an Encore with 777 and a Shockwave sabot and bullet. Inlines have pretty much standardized on such loads and been that way for over 20 years. The only thing that is kind of more recent is Blackhorn 209 powder, but that's over 10 years old now too. There are a number of western states that require certain things such as an "open" ignition which is why you get some oddball guns trying to cheat the rules.

Shawlerbrook
01-24-2023, 09:37 AM
I also have a TC Omega that was a special run for Jerry’s Sport Center back around 2000. Sadly both TC and Jerry’s no longer exist.

FergusonTO35
01-24-2023, 09:59 AM
Older Knights can be purchased very cheaply on GB and pawn shops, and they still compare favorably to newer ones. An inline caplock can shoot very well, and right now caps are alot easier to find than 209's. Yes, a caplock will shoot T7 no problem, both of mine do. The various Knight "inspired" guns from CVA and Traditions can be purchased under 100.00 in very nice condition and some of them shoot really good. In any event it's good to have a functional backup or loaner rifle.

NSB
01-24-2023, 10:43 AM
I’ve owned a lot of different muzzleloading rifles over the last fifty+ years. Quite a few of them were/are in-lines. At the moment I have a Savage ML2, an TC Encore, and my most recent is a CVA Optima. All three of these guns will shoot five shot 1moa groups on a good day, and don’t do any worse than 1.5” on an “average” day. This is because I spent a lot of time trying different bullets, sabots, and powders (charge weights). The CVA Optima cost the princely sum of $350 on sale and came with a one piece base/ring combo, stainless Bergara barrel, and a synthetic stock that’s actually pretty decent (no flexing). I bought the CVA because I was out at the range and observed one of our local fire chiefs and a buddy of his shooting new ones they each just got. Both of them were shooting sub two inch groups with the first load they tried. I asked them about the guns because I knew nothing about them. When they told me they paid just over three hundred dollars for the guns I mentioned “I might get one”. The chief said he’d order me one on the spot because he could get a first responder discount. Three days later I got the CVA delivered to my door. I did order a Spin-jag ramrod for it since I use one on all my muzzle loaders, so this brought the price up to just under four hundred total. It shoots super good groups, has an out of the box trigger pull of just under two pounds, and my first deer with it this years was a trotting buck at a measured 128 yards. I honestly have to say that this gun is a better buy than my TC Encore and my Savage ML2. It shoots as good and costs about a third the price. I can’t find any fault with the CVA Optima so far. I don’t let my ego stand in the way of common sense. They might be cheap, but they perform fantastic.

freakonaleash
01-24-2023, 10:59 AM
The certainly take the primitive spirit out of the muzzleloading season.

metricmonkeywrench
01-24-2023, 11:34 AM
I'm siting on a 2010 CVA Buckhorn that i traded a 220v window A/C unit for and a new out of the box CVA Wolf gotten at a huge discount from the wally world clearance isle, both in .50 cal running 209 primers of course. I am not a ML hunter they are more relegated to range plinkers. I have a pair of moulds I'm toying with with so-so results so far as the barrel twist seems more suited to Sabots and of course their sort of costly Powerbelt bullets. As the Buckhorn is older it lives off Pyrodex RS or whatever pellets I happen to pick up on clearance. The Wolf has been fed a steady diet of 80-100g of BH-209.

The biggest thing I think is the barrel twist- what do you plan to shoot for bullets and the rest will likely follow.

TomAM
01-24-2023, 12:02 PM
TC Encore. The extractor is very handy for sticky caps, and different barrels can be used during the off season.

TomAM
01-24-2023, 12:06 PM
Sorry, sticky primers.

white eagle
01-24-2023, 12:10 PM
Just got rid of my 50 T/C Encore for a knight Peregrine 40
man is that sweeeeeet I shoot BH 209
waiting for Tom to design a mold for it
hopefully soon

FergusonTO35
01-24-2023, 04:00 PM

I agree, however back in the day people could hunt whenever they wanted to and as much as they wanted to. Where I live, we have a total of 11 days to hunt with a muzzleloader whether it's a smokeless powder centerfire or a matchlock. I do in fact hunt with my sidelocks but it's nice to be able to up my chances of success a bit when I want to. I would love to see a special season for true primitive muzzleloaders, in fact I don't think it would upset things too much to let people hunt with them during bow season on private land. We can already use 400 fps crossbows for nearly all of archery season.

centershot
01-24-2023, 04:11 PM
Back in 2006 I was lucky enough to win a .50 caliber Remington Genesis, stainless steel with a composite stock & forend. What a tack driver! This area was "shotgun-only" area, but muzzle loading rifles were allowed. That Genesis was my deer rifle until CF rifles were OK'd about ten years ago. I have nothing but praise for it, accurate, easy to maintain, easy to clean, it is the single most accurate rifle I own! From the bench, it will shoot groups at 100 yards with all shots in one jagged hole! I know they're out of production now but you can find them used for cheap, you wouldn't go wrong owning one!

stubshaft
01-24-2023, 04:18 PM
Knight Wolverine.

ShooterAZ
01-24-2023, 04:34 PM
Mine is a T/C Impact. It's an inexpensive rifle, but it's been a very solid performer. I've taken deer and elk with it, one shot was all that was needed on any of them. I use BH209 with Hornady SST's or T/C Shockwave saboted bullets. It'll shoot cast in a sabot, but not with the accuracy of the jacketed models. Some of the Barnes bullets that I tried were super accurate, but very tight and difficult to seat.

brewer12345
01-24-2023, 06:08 PM
In M/L season I only hunt with a caplock, but I picked up a CVA Wolf to play with. I have a scope on it (not allowed for deer here) and it cloverleafs 50 cal maxi balls at the 30 yards it is sighted in for. Plan to take it beaver hunting this weekend and see if I can bag one with it.

rockrat
01-24-2023, 07:00 PM
I have used my 50 cal. Remington 700 ML with success on Elk. You can find them reasonable, now and then. Last one I saw for sale was about $250

huntinlever
01-25-2023, 12:37 PM
Tons of input. Many thanks guys.

BamaNapper
01-25-2023, 04:39 PM
I've got the T/C ProHunter FX. It's the muzzleloader only, not interchangeable. A little over the $500 mark. Admittedly, I'm a novice, but I like it. A break-open action makes it super easy to clean.

If I was to offer any suggestion for muzzleloader hunting, it would be the Hornady Lock-N-Load bullets. Love 'em. They are the ultimate convenience. I don't have to carry a pocketful of components. The packaging they come in allows you to carry 5 bullets, assembled with powder pellets, and 5 primers in your shirt pocket. The only other supplies I carry is a micro ziplock bag with a dozen patches and my cleaning jag.

With 100gr of the Triple 7 pellets, this gun and bullet is about as accurate at 100 yds as any hunting rifle I own. Groups under 2" is the norm.

The Lock-N-Load bullets are a little pricey for me at the range so I play with my .452 cast boolits in sabots over loose powder. Groups are typically about 3", but cost is 90% less.

01-25-2023, 06:19 PM
I'd look at the used market to find a deal. This time of year isn't a bad time to hit the pawn shops or scour the used guns racks. Care to see poor maintenance clues and obvious issues. Lots of really good designs for in-lines. You just have to find one that you like. I'd say it would be hard to go wrong with Remington 700ML, T/C Omega, Knight, T/C Scout, that T/C model that is supposed to look like a rolling block, or so many others I am not familiar with. I have a few and one on my favorites is a T/C Impact. Like most, I got it used & abused, had Bobby Hoyt bore out the roached out .50 to a .54 round ball twist, and never looked back. It is a big time tack driver. I think it can shoot better than I can. YMMV. Good luck.

huntinlever
01-25-2023, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys. I often get ideas from Cabela's though I tend to look elsewhere as I think they're overpriced on most things. They don't carry or are out of stock on most of the rifles I was interested in but I the Impact did catch my eye.

FergusonTO35
01-26-2023, 09:51 AM
I have used my 50 cal. Remington 700 ML with success on Elk. You can find them reasonable, now and then. Last one I saw for sale was about $250

Wow, that's a deal!

toallmy
01-26-2023, 10:09 AM
I have resisted new purchasing a new inline for decades simply because my old Knight MK 85 knocks a half inch hole in whatever I point it at . However some of the fellows around here are doing some impressive shooting with the newer smokeless inline rifles at double my range , but they are paying quite a bit to be able to do it .

FergusonTO35
01-26-2023, 02:07 PM
I'm kind of an oddball because I use an inline but insist on lead boolits and sights. So, I guess I'm using a front loading 1870's centerfire rifle!

megasupermagnum
01-26-2023, 08:15 PM
I'm kind of an oddball because I use an inline but insist on lead boolits and sights. So, I guess I'm using a front loading 1870's centerfire rifle!

Not odd at all. That's how most people do it in western states. It's just that at that point a TC hawken or similar becomes a great option since they are in general easier to shoot and clean than an inline.

Plastikosmd
01-27-2023, 08:47 PM
Fred Sinclair built 50 on a Remington composite stock, 2oz trigger etc. No false muzzle on this one. It was my first BP rifle and got me hooked on target BP shooting. I can’t remember where I saw it online, but it was love immediately. Mr. Sinclair passed in 2020. I will continue to shoot it in remembrance of him.

https://i.postimg.cc/28Xfg4v6/4-A344-CE2-F335-4670-B63-E-CB095-F5-B3-C8-D.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/XYG0Wpcg/0-CC50659-6-FBE-4-D84-8103-EC7-C83-A37297.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VJ8hBshS)

90g FFFG 5 shots at 100y
https://i.postimg.cc/SNKhZZn3/05-EF0-FEE-9-B29-405-F-AE19-00-CAA1329-DA2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Super Sneaky Steve
01-27-2023, 08:47 PM
I have a CVA Optima. You get a long of bang for your buck with that one. It's got a really nice barrel and the best trigger of any of my other rifles. I really like the one piece mount that CVA sells. It comes in low medium and high. It will shoot patched balls accurately with lower charges and I've recently started shooting 600gr conicals out of it.

Edward
01-27-2023, 10:25 PM

They also keep a lot of older shooters in the game , which like your post has absolutely nothing to say about the topic other than being labeled an elitist looking for a cause/Ed

Edward
01-27-2023, 10:30 PM
I have a CVA Optima. You get a long of bang for your buck with that one. It's got a really nice barrel and the best trigger of any of my other rifles. I really like the one piece mount that CVA sells. It comes in low medium and high. It will shoot patched balls accurately with lower charges and I've recently started shooting 600gr conicals out of it.

Want a really nice trigger get 1st a TC Renegade /or 2nd TC Hawken , I like the Renegade with 1 inbarrels and a better stock (recoil wise)! They come standard with the set trigger ,the 2nd will go bang as light as you set the 1st /Ed

megasupermagnum
01-27-2023, 10:43 PM
Want a really nice trigger get 1st a TC Renegade /or 2nd TC Hawken , I like the Renegade with 1 inbarrels and a better stock (recoil wise)! They come standard with the set trigger ,the 2nd will go bang as light as you set the 1st /Ed

The Renegade/Hawken triggers are phenomenal. I'd have them on every one of my rifles, modern centerfire included if such a thing existed. I will admit the Optima trigger is not bad at all, but they can vary a lot from gun to gun. Again, I don't really understand the bang for the buck thing. An Optima is over $300, closer to $400. The TC Impact when they were sold until TC closed were the same price or less. Their triggers were at least as good. Even today, that Knight Vision is even less, currently on sale for $200. Now THAT is bang for your buck. A 100% American made rifle that is super consistent for $200. If you want a really good trigger, most every other Knight comes with a Timney trigger that is as good as they come. The Knight timney triggers are the best non-set triggers on the market, outside of custom guns.

OverMax
01-28-2023, 12:10 AM
I've shouldered quite a few inlines over the years. Either the barrels sight plane or a short stock gave me cause to keep looking. One day I shouldered a brand new to the market place a CVA Optima. >Perfect fit and a sight plane that came into view >naturally. So that would be my choice if I were to buy a inline. CVA. Model of CVA? that is another hard choice. "I like them all"

FergusonTO35
01-29-2023, 12:31 AM
Not odd at all. That's how most people do it in western states. It's just that at that point a TC hawken or similar becomes a great option since they are in general easier to shoot and clean than an inline.

Oh, I like my side locks too! I have an ancient CVA built from a mail order kit by me and dad when I was in grade school that shoots great and has taken a few deer with PRB no problemo. Also got an ugly pawn shop rescue TC Renegade that shoots alot better than it looks. Its nice to have both options, 'cause usually if primers are available then caps aren't and vice versa.

Good Cheer
01-29-2023, 12:56 PM
Anyone shoot these from NOE?
https://i.imgur.com/aXPiahX.jpg

megasupermagnum
02-01-2023, 11:39 PM
Anyone shoot these from NOE?

I've never tried that exact mold, but I tried some that looked a lot like that. The Lyman great plains bullet mold that looks like that is a tapered design. I found it shot quite well, but loading them was not fun at all. That front driving band was thick, and at over groove diameter they were not easy to start. I have also tried the conical from No Excuses that looks just like that. I don't remember if it was the 460 or 495 gr. Either way I ordered them .002" over groove diameter and they loaded nice, and they shot really well. They liked heavy loads, and recoil was a factor. So I would say if that NOE mold is tapered, try and see. If it is straight sided, try it in different sizes. I would guess most guns a .502" or .503" is the most common used. Alternatively you could try the idaho lewis method of paper patching those.