PDA

View Full Version : CVA Scout 2

Iwsbull
01-22-2023, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know much about them as I saw a used one in 450 Bushmaster at the local guns store. It had a brake on it but I didn’t look to see if it was made on or removable. Any info on accuracy, strength and longevity of the rifle would be appreciated as well as how the Bushmaster does with fairly heavy (340 grain) lead.
Thanks

barrabruce
01-22-2023, 07:45 AM
If it’s the same as the bagara rifle then I have only played with three or four.
A 9mm 300blk and 44mag. The other I forget. 223 I think.
All except the 223 had the same problem.
The barrel locked up just over centre on the standing breach and they were hard to open.
Shot nicely thou with jacketed ammo.
You could fix this with a shim of paper on the barrel pivot point.
If you close the breach then let go the trigger guard they will lock up nicely and open easy after shooting.
The silver finish is a paint/coating that some cleaners will dissolve or make soft.

Bit heavy for my liking but I wouldn’t knock one back if you gave me one.

Trigger was firm but broke nice.
Plastic is well……

This is only my opinion. Check it out your self.

Iwsbull
01-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Not sure if they are but I believe they do sport a Bagara barrel.

popper
01-23-2023, 11:12 AM
I have one in 300BO, works great. Very accurate, decent trigger.

murf205
01-25-2023, 01:07 PM
Iwsbull, my son has a Ruger American in 450 BM and I have some 290 gr 45 boolits powder coated that his rifle just will NOT shoot worth a hoot. IIRC, they are sized to .452 and you are welcome to a handful to try if you decide to buy that gun. From my experience, his rifle will only shoot Flex Tip Hornady's but maybe that's just a Ruger thing. Why they decided on a .451 groove diameter, is a mystery to me but.....? I am really considering a Scout in 44 mag especially since those rifles have a 1-20" twist and the people who have reported on them say they shoot all cast boolit weights reliably. Keep us posted.

Iwsbull
01-26-2023, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the offer Murf. I hate that about your sons rifle as cast are mucho cheaper than factory bullets. I also looked hard at the 44 but I think I want a lever 44 and I know the new Henry rifles have a pretty good twist rate. Too bad I was born good looking instead of wealthy.

cwlongshot
01-26-2023, 11:31 PM
I am crossing fingers and tows that CVA chamber s the 360 Buck Hammer in these rifles!!!

CW

Four-Sixty
01-27-2023, 12:22 AM
I am crossing fingers and tows that CVA chamber s the 360 Buck Hammer in these rifles!!!

CW

I've long wished for them to do so in 30-30. Since they did 350 Legend, I bet there is a reasonable chance 360 Buck hammer will happen.

murf205
01-27-2023, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the offer Murf. I hate that about your sons rifle as cast are mucho cheaper than factory bullets. I also looked hard at the 44 but I think I want a lever 44 and I know the new Henry rifles have a pretty good twist rate. Too bad I was born good looking instead of wealthy.

HA! you think you've got problems, I was left out on both accounts! I wish CVA would make a 35 Rem in the Scout but I know that it aint gonna' happen. I have thought about a 35 Whelen instead that could be loaded down to 35 Rem levels to accommodate my prosthetic shoulder joint.
As far as a lever action 44, I emailed Ruger about the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and the gave me the generic lawyer tainted reply but indicated that the 1894 an all the other Marlin were forthcoming but my guess is that they will go for more than sticker price when they do finally show up. Henry may be the best solution even though Brian Pearce recently stated that the new guns would have the 1-20" twist as does the Henry.

Jedman
01-28-2023, 09:34 AM
HA! you think you've got problems, I was left out on both accounts! I wish CVA would make a 35 Rem in the Scout but I know that it aint gonna' happen. I have thought about a 35 Whelen instead that could be loaded down to 35 Rem levels to accommodate my prosthetic shoulder joint.
As far as a lever action 44, I emailed Ruger about the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and the gave me the generic lawyer tainted reply but indicated that the 1894 an all the other Marlin were forthcoming but my guess is that they will go for more than sticker price when they do finally show up. Henry may be the best solution even though Brian Pearce recently stated that the new guns would have the 1-20" twist as does the Henry.

CVA does make the v2 Scout in 35 Remington.

Jedman

murf205
01-28-2023, 10:25 AM
I'm not saying that they don't but I just looked again(and again) in their catalogue and web page and if they do make one, they're not showing it in those 2 places that I searched, or let me say that I can't find it. I see the 350 Legend and 35 Whelen but try as I might, I couldn't see a 35 Rem. I know you didn't make that statement without a reason. Thanks

popper
01-28-2023, 12:10 PM
I got my CVA scout by going to gunbroker, finding who was selling and contact them directly. Guy had 3 NIB on the shelf.

06ackley
01-28-2023, 12:53 PM
I have the scout 2 in 45-70 and it shoots nice. My daughter has the scout 2 in 35 rem and that one is a tack driver with the rcbs 200

Abert Rim
01-30-2023, 12:59 PM
I have the Scout 2 pistol in 6.5 Grendel. Bergara barrel, nice trigger, good shooter. They send a spare forend screw that is also a sling stud, but it is too short to engage the forend threads, as I found out the hard way after buying a bipod for it.

Iwsbull
01-30-2023, 08:51 PM
Does anyone know how the lug is secured at the chamber , is it secured with screws and how long are they if so.

murf205
01-31-2023, 12:18 PM
Just a FYI, I just got off the phone with the CVA USA office in GA and they told me that they did not make a Scout in 35 Rem. I believe that all of you who said you have one, do indeed have one, but the guy I talked to said he had worked there 7 yrs and they hadn't made one during that period. However he was kind enough to send an extractor for my friends 223 Scout. I'm not giving up, he could've been an underling. I can't seem to find an email address to the factory.

Jedman
01-31-2023, 03:33 PM
I have a V 1 Scout in 243 that I bought about 10+ years ago and you could find them in 35 Rem. Very easy. I have seen them in the V 2 in SS in 35 Rem. also but it has been a couple of years ago but I haven’t been looking either. They absolute did make them.

Jedman

cwlongshot
01-31-2023, 07:56 PM
I have wanted a 35 Rem CVA for some years. I know there was some made but not catalogued in a while.
Now Ill get it in 360 or Ill have something re chambered/bored.

CW

murf205
02-02-2023, 01:10 PM
It might be a blessing that I can't find one since I have started looking for 35 Rem brass. Buying a 243 and having JES turn it into a 358 Win is another alternative. Does the 360 have a rim similar to a 30-30?

cwlongshot
02-03-2023, 07:27 PM
It might be a blessing that I can't find one since I have started looking for 35 Rem brass. Buying a 243 and having JES turn it into a 358 Win is another alternative. Does the 360 have a rim similar to a 30-30? The 360 Cartridge is based upon the 30/30 Winchester & uses its brass as parent case. So yes same rim dimensions.

murf205
02-03-2023, 08:37 PM
The 360 Cartridge is based upon the 30/30 Winchester & uses its brass as parent case. So yes same rim dimensions.

So it is the 35-30 with legitimate parenting. Every brass scrounger worth their salt has a stash of 30-30 brass. Sounds like fun especially with cast boolits in a single shot. C'mon CVA, its your move!

murf205
02-06-2023, 10:09 AM
CVA is still a 360 BuckHammer mystery but I just got an email reply from Magnum Research and they said that caliber was definitely on their list of chamberings they were considering. They said check back in 4-6 months. Update: Magnum Research Tech guy just sent another email and said they would be making
Them as soon as they could get ammo and reamers. They will be available through Bill Hicks, a distributor I would guess

cwlongshot
02-06-2023, 06:08 PM
CVA is still a 360 BuckHammer mystery but I just got an email reply from Magnum Research and they said that caliber was definitely on their list of chamberings they were considering. They said check back in 4-6 months. Update: Magnum Research Tech guy just sent another email and said they would be making
Them as soon as they could get ammo and reamers. They will be available through Bill Hicks, a distributor I would guess
Awesome news!!

Thanks for that update!!

CW

murf205
02-06-2023, 08:21 PM
The folks at Remington said that Ruglin was going to make guns for it too as well as Henry. Probably a 336. They also said that the testing was done and the SAAMI drawing had been submitted (we knew that) and approved. Ammo should be forthcoming-Remington's statements, not mine.
For the "straight wall case " states, it sounds like a whitetail woods gun for sure. Everybody knows that the 35 Rem is the kissin' cousin but the game and fish bureaucrats had to have their say so we get another cartridge. At least this time it is one that us cast boolit people can identify with.

cwlongshot
02-07-2023, 11:56 AM
I know of a few with emails into CVA requesting the 360.

If enough of us ask they may chamber some!!!

murf205
02-07-2023, 12:28 PM
With a real world price of under $350 plus the fact that the accuracy reputation, it is a no brainer for a monetarily challenged guy like myself.

Four-Sixty
02-10-2023, 10:09 PM
I wish CVA would make a 35 Rem in the Scout but I know that it aint gonna' happen.

They actually did make the Scout in 35 Remington. I have one.

murf205
02-11-2023, 10:32 AM
I have since discovered that they did indeed make a 35 Rem and it must have not been a great seller OR Covid could have interrupted their work force so they dropped the ones that didn't move that we. That country got hit pretty hard with the China virus. The 35 Whelen is available now but I don't care to load it down to the slower speeds I'm looking for and the 350 Legend appeals not a bit with the case mouth headspace and .355 barrel. A 360 BH sounds about right AND I have a ton of 30-30 brass!
Four-Sixty, how does your rifle shoot? These guns seem to have a great reputation for accuracy.

Four-Sixty
02-11-2023, 07:12 PM
I think I got my Scout in 35 Remington about 5 or 6 years ago. I was at Academy and they said they only got one in chambered in 35 Remington. It happens to come with a silver finish. It is not black.

I must admit I've not shot my 35 Remington Scout too much due to my plan for it to compliment a 336 in 35 Remington that never materialized. My experience is it really worked best with 200 grain bullets so far. I did not have much luck with lighter bullets. I've been shooting lots of 30-30 in a 336 instead. I would be interested in a scout in 30-30.

I did, however, get a Scout in 44 Magnum and have been very pleased with it. I had a brass mold from Arsenal for that popular Keith bullet. With some Unique it shot like a laser. I took a 14" pumpkin out to the range and shot a hole through the center of it at 50 yards. Then, I shot the pumpkin into two haves. Next I pulverized the chunks of remaining pumpkin. Alas, my Arsenal mold had one of the guide pins fall out - the second time. I returned it at my expense never to get any reply from Arsenal. So, now my Scout sits idle. I need to buy a similar mold profile from NOE or Accurate. The Scout in 44 Magnum is a great rifle. I ran a stick down the chamber and you cannot feel the transition from the chamber to the rifling. I do plan on getting a scout in 300 Blackout. That would be awesome. A rifle that is 30 caliber, and brass can almost always be found at the range! If they made a Scout in 357 Magnum, I would consider getting a couple as gifts. Most people I take to the range really enjoy the single shots.

Abert Rim
02-12-2023, 11:12 AM
I am a little puzzled -- which of course is normal for me -- but what does Magnum Research have to do with CVA? I know MR is owned by the Kahr Arms group, but CVA is owned by BPI and I haven't heard of a connection.

murf205
02-12-2023, 02:37 PM
Nothing, it was just a FYI about the 360 BH>

popper
02-12-2023, 03:18 PM
scout in 300 Blackout - mine is great.

cwlongshot
02-12-2023, 04:59 PM
Nothing, it was just a FYI about the 360 BH>

Correct. BFR has nothing to do with CVA.

Both COULD be chambered for the new 360. Simply commenting BFH has confirmed they will make guns chambered for 360.

CVA has not.

CW

jaysouth
03-29-2023, 11:26 PM
CVA does make the v2 Scout in 35 Remington.

Jedman

They made the Hunter model in .35 Rem several years ago. I bought one and chambered it in .358 win. It kicked way too much and I sold it. Wish I had the Hunter or Scout in .357 mag. Don't think they ever made one except for the scout pistol