PDA

View Full Version : New Marlins from Ruger

W.R.Buchanan
01-21-2023, 08:40 PM
So as I walked into the Ruger Booth at SHOT about 10 AM on Tuesday Morning I was greeted by Eric Lundgren who is the head guy on the Marlin Project. Eric recognized my name off my badge and started vigorously shaking my hand, then drug me over to meet Nate Brown.

I am buddies with Mark Gurney who is the Head of Marketing for Ruger, and I met him when he was #2 man on the Scout Rifle Project in 2010 and we've been friends ever since. When I contacted him about the Marlin project he sent my name and phone # to Eric So they could get my input...

Eric called me one day and we talked for 45 minutes on the phone about what needed to be done to improve the Marlin Leverguns. Turns out all he did was write down everything I said to him and pass it along to Nate Brown who is Head of Engineering for the Marlin Project. Nate then went over everything along with all the other input they got from various people they considered to be knowledgeable on the subject.

Some of the ideas that came only from me were the Chamber Chamfer, the Radius on the Hammer Face, Cleaning up the Groove on the Bolt that the Extractor rides in, and Tumble Deburring of all small internal parts.

Other changes were 1:20 twist in the .44 and .45 barrels, Radius on the Snail Cam to prevent wearing of the bottom of the Lifter causing the "Marlin Jam." Redesign of the Loading Gate so it wouldn't dig into your thumbnail, changing the way most of the parts were machined, and making of all the internal parts out of Pre Hardened materials for dimensional stability. also the Internal Machining of the Receiver was a far cry from the Crap Marlin and Remington produced. I was amazed that the underside of the receiver top was smooth,,, making the insertion of a cartridge into the chamber smooth as glass. No rough Broach Marks because they weren't done with a worn out broach! They were all done on a Multi Axis CNC Machining Centers. Pretty much all of the Machines, Tooling and Programs to run them are all new!

I talked to Nate for the better part of an hour about all the fine points in the Production Process and he was very forth coming with answers to all of my pretty technical questions. I left Swelled up like a toad!

I picked up several 1894's and 1895's and they all ran smoothly. Only slightly stiffer than my personal guns which had been reworked by me years ago and had also had many rounds thru them. These new guns will run similar to mine with very little "break in." The fit and finish on the metal and wood was as close to perfect as you could ever expect from a Generic Firearm**. And the whole Idea was to remove as much of the hand work (Preferably all of it!) as possible, so the guns could be assembled with parts from a bin with no hand fitting required. This should have taken place 25 years ago, but nobody cared enough to push it thru at the previous Mfg's.

I have no reservation in saying "These are the Best Made Marlin Rifles ever produced by anyone !!! PERIOD!"

The 1894's are just going into production as we speak and look for them on the shelves in the Spring.

Randy

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-21-2023, 08:51 PM
That's good news indeed!

FergusonTO35
01-21-2023, 09:27 PM
Thanks so much! I'm glad to see Ruger is going to do it right. And hopefully my meager budget will allow me to buy one at some point. Ruger please bring back the 1895CBA!

justindad
01-21-2023, 09:28 PM
Thanks for sharing. Good things happen when Engineers have the humility to listen to people with experience. I’m a Ruger fan, so this is double good for me.

W.R.Buchanan
01-21-2023, 09:53 PM
There is one other major point included in this process. The people making these guns actually care about what they are doing!!!

They are actually trying to make perfect guns, which is not possible. But it still must be Pursued Relentlessly! You can never achieve perfection, but you can get damn close if you try hard enough !

They are trying really hard, and unlike previous Mfg's, Everyone wants to be there ! NO Union problems !!!

Randy.

Rp-
01-21-2023, 10:00 PM
I believe I shot moonpie's. It was great!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

budman5
01-21-2023, 10:14 PM
My palms are itching to coon finger one of the 1894.

elmacgyver0
01-21-2023, 10:29 PM
I wonder if they will ever be available at the MSRP, they seem to be made of unobtainium, except on Gun Broker at inflated prices.

stubshaft
01-21-2023, 11:10 PM
I'll have to get me one if for no other reason than to compare it with my older Marlins.

ChuckJaxFL
01-22-2023, 12:04 AM
The 1894's are just going into production as we speak and look for them on the shelves in the Spring.

Great news! I'm actually waiting eagerly for the 336's, but I'm glad to see them moving down the list.

FergusonTO35
01-22-2023, 12:35 AM
I would rather they do it right and we have to wait awhile and pay higher prices than release hurriedly slapped together junk like Remlin or the last years of New Haven Winchester.

trapper9260
01-22-2023, 07:55 AM
Thanks for your work to have a better rifle made. I like Rugers ,I wonder if you can try to talk them into make a 327mag in a lever . For how they will make the rifles it would be a nice one that I would like to get if they were to come out with one. No I do have a Henry in it , Just had a friend of my make one out of the Handi Rifle from H&R . I can shoot anything that I can in my BH .

dverna
01-22-2023, 08:35 AM
Good to hear!!!

Wag
01-22-2023, 09:48 AM
Guess I gotta start saving some pennies again.........

I'm drooling.

--Wag--

Four-Sixty
01-22-2023, 10:25 AM
I'm curious if there will one day be a 336 available in either, or even both, 35 Remington and 360 Buck hammer.

freakonaleash
01-22-2023, 10:30 AM
I'm not interested until they get rid of that stoopid safety. I'll just keep shooting my antique Marlins.

Rrusse11
01-22-2023, 01:19 PM
Great to hear that Ruger is listening to those with experience!
Keep it up please.

W.R.Buchanan
01-22-2023, 10:36 PM
Yes all the 1894's I saw at SHOT were .357's and in Carbine configuration.. What you are going to see first is .357's .44's and .45's.

I personally want a 1894 CB Short Rifle (20" Octagon) in .44 Spec/Mag.

Eventually all of the blanks will get filled in. I expect 336's in .30-30, and .35 Remington. Obviously the 1895's will be mostly .45-70 and I personally don't see any reason for any other caliber in that one. But .444 Marlin could be a possibility. But they do need a Rifle version with a 24 or 26" bbl. right now they have the 18" Guide Gun and 16" Trapper. I don't care for the Big Loop Lever but it is still quite popular.

1894's should get a Carbine with 16 or 18 or 20" bbl and Barrel Band, Short Rifles with 18 or 20" Octagon Barrels and 24" Octagon Rifles.

Anyway lots to look forward to.

Randy

Rrusse11
01-23-2023, 12:14 AM
Randy,
GMTA! (great minds think alike), I've got an Marlin1894CB in 44 with a 24" octagon, but would love a 20" as well. Take down would be the icing on the cake for me! Any opinions on the Chiappa 1892s in a take down? The only version is an "Alaskan" which is satin chrome I believe. They do a 20" octagon gun in 44Mag.
Cheers!

Bad Ass Wallace
01-23-2023, 05:01 AM
I already have an older "JM" in 45 long colt. Here is hoping Ruger eventually make 24" octagonal models in 44/40 and 38/40!

trapper9260
01-23-2023, 05:20 AM
I have the older 1894 in 44 mag love it , the ammo that I shot in my RH will shoot in the Marlin also.

jstanfield103
01-23-2023, 05:36 AM
I'm also waiting on the 44 Mag short rifle with 20" Octagon barrel. Need one to go with my 1892 Winchester 44 Mag. Probably be one of the last rifles I buy.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2023, 11:14 AM
yes all the 1894's i saw at shot were .357's and in carbine configuration.. What you are going to see first is .357's .44's and .45's.

I personally want a 1894 cb short rifle (20" octagon) in .44 spec/mag.

Eventually all of the blanks will get filled in. I expect 336's in .30-30, and .35 remington. Obviously the 1895's will be mostly .45-70 and i personally don't see any reason for any other caliber in that one. But .444 marlin could be a possibility. But they do need a rifle version with a 24 or 26" bbl. Right now they have the 18" guide gun and 16" trapper. I don't care for the big loop lever but it is still quite popular.

1894's should get a carbine with 16 or 18 or 20" bbl and barrel band, short rifles with 18 or 20" octagon barrels and 24" octagon rifles.

Anyway lots to look forward to.

Randy

hawt!!

Rrusse11
01-23-2023, 10:50 PM
I already have an older "JM" in 45 long colt. Here is hoping Ruger eventually make 24" octagonal models in 44/40 and 38/40!

Marlin did an 1894 "commemorative" in 44-40 with a 24" octagon. I got lucky many years ago now and got a new barrel from gunpartscorp.com. Plugged right in to a 44Mag. Got some fancy wood which I'm finishing now.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2029/1092/marlin-model-1894-century-limited-commemorative-rifle-with-box

danmat
01-25-2023, 01:25 AM
Im still waiting to walk into a gunshop and see a ruger marlin 45-70 on the shelf.��

FergusonTO35
01-25-2023, 09:39 AM
You may be waiting awhile yet. Lever action demand is red hot right now, Henry reportedly has five years worth of orders and is running production 24 hours a day.

Pereira
01-25-2023, 09:52 AM
Marlin did an 1894 "commemorative" in 44-40 with a 24" octagon. I got lucky many years ago now and got a new barrel from gunpartscorp.com. Plugged right in to a 44Mag. Got some fancy wood which I'm finishing now.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2029/1092/marlin-model-1894-century-limited-commemorative-rifle-with-box

That is a Beautiful rifle.

RP

Seeker
01-25-2023, 09:52 PM
You may be waiting awhile yet. Lever action demand is red hot right now, Henry reportedly has five years worth of orders and is running production 24 hours a day.

I just picked up a Henry H010G side gate 45-70. It's everything you'd expect and more. Perfect fit and finish and as accurate as I am able. One of my new favorite leverguns. I will be watching for the Rugers to come in as I own more Ruger guns than any other manufacturer.

elmacgyver0
01-25-2023, 10:03 PM
You can buy all you want on Gunbroker, whether it be Henry or Ruger/Marlin if you're ready to pay scalper prices.
Doesn't seem right does it.

farmbif
01-25-2023, 10:13 PM
the only reason I ever bought an AR was when ruger entered the market with a great piston operated example and they did things right, at least most of the time. the only time ive seen a new ruger that was off is when I went to buy a new, brand new, double action stainless 327 fed mag. the barrel was screwed up and had been dented with vise marks. no thank you, I do not own a 327 fed mag.
the questions on my mind right now is at what price will these new marlins be retailing for? and if ruger starts making marlins better than ever before, will they try to produce new 39a's? and I have faith they will do things right, will my old ugly marlins go back to being $200 guns. maybe I better sell the ones I have now before the "jm" market crashes

FergusonTO35
01-25-2023, 10:15 PM
I just picked up a Henry H010G side gate 45-70. It's everything you'd expect and more. Perfect fit and finish and as accurate as I am able. One of my new favorite leverguns. I will be watching for the Rugers to come in as I own more Ruger guns than any other manufacturer.

Oh I know! I get to ogle them at my side job shop and then watch them walk out the door with their new owners.[smilie=b:

elmacgyver0
01-25-2023, 10:21 PM
the only reason I ever bought an AR was when ruger entered the market with a great piston operated example and they did things right, at least most of the time. the only time ive seen a new ruger that was off is when I went to buy a new, brand new, double action stainless 327 fed mag. the barrel was screwed up and had been dented with vise marks. no thank you, I do not own a 327 fed mag.
the questions on my mind right now is at what price will these new marlins be retailing for? and if ruger starts making marlins better than ever before, will they try to produce new 39a's? and I have faith they will do things right, will my old ugly marlins go back to being $200 guns. maybe I better sell the ones I have now before the "jm" market crashes

They posted the MSRP, unfortunately they hardly ever make it to retail.

elmacgyver0
01-25-2023, 10:34 PM
Some months ago I bought a GemTek 9mm 92 series barrel from CDNN, glad I jumped on it.
Now CDNN is selling them on Gunbroker, can't find them anymore on their website.
Everything is the highest bidder these days, fewer parts than people who want them.
I guess what I have always said in the past is true.
Elections have Consequences.

376Steyr
01-27-2023, 02:46 PM
Im still waiting to walk into a gunshop and see a ruger marlin 45-70 on the shelf.��

I walked into my small town's (pop. 10,000) gunshop and, to my surprise, found an 1895 SBL and an 1895 Guide Gun sitting on the rack, both at MSRP. After three weeks the SBL is gone and the Guide Gun is still there. I'm kicking myself for letting the SBL get away, and am manfully fighting off the temptation of the Guide Gun. Oddly enough, the UPS man brought a big box of 45-70 brass to my doorstep yesterday. :grin:

376Steyr
01-27-2023, 02:51 PM
The good news is the 1894 and 336 are coming back. The bad new is, at least according to this site: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/27/shot-2023-two-reintroduced-leverguns-marlin-1894-and-336/ the .44 Magnum will continue to have a 1:38" twist. Marlin's website doesn't have a specification sheet for the 1894 posted yet.

Gewehr-Guy
01-27-2023, 03:04 PM
A 336 CB in .38-55 would be nice, maybe in a few years Davidson's will offer some nice variations like in the past.

murf205
01-27-2023, 03:59 PM
The good news is the 1894 and 336 are coming back. The bad new is, at least according to this site: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/27/shot-2023-two-reintroduced-leverguns-marlin-1894-and-336/ the .44 Magnum will continue to have a 1:38" twist. Marlin's website doesn't have a specification sheet for the 1894 posted yet.

In either Handloader or Rifle magazine, Brian Pearce stated that the new guns were to have the tighter twist rate of 1-20", according to his conversations with Ruglin. Randy, did anybody you talked with divulge the twist of the new 44 mag 1894's?

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2023, 06:16 PM

That site is NOT ACCURATE!!! The 1894 .44's and .45's will both have 1:20 twist barrels. This was one of the first things they did because the Ruger 77/44 has a 1:20 twist barrel from the start as do all Ruger .44 Magnum Pistols. Everybody and their dog commented on the need to be able to stabilize 300-340 gr boolits. This was the most requested change to these guns made in the Data Gathering portion of the Relaunch.

Randy

FergusonTO35
01-28-2023, 10:12 PM
I'm really glad to hear that Ruger is listening to customers on the Marlin relaunch. Sounds like they are taking it way more seriously than Remlin ever did. I am really digging what I see in those pics from the TFB article. You could have told me they were the best of the JM guns and I would believe it.

fragman
01-30-2023, 01:39 AM
I got lucky. Picked up a Ruger/Marlin Trapper a week or so ago, And got it a little under MSRP to boot. They had it tagged at MSRP, but as I have bought so many guns from them in the past, they gave me a little discount. And it sure is a sweet gun, that's for sure.
Just a right place, right time thing. Oh, and having built up a relationship with your LGS.

sukivel
01-30-2023, 11:49 AM
A 336 CB in .38-55 would be nice, maybe in a few years Davidson's will offer some nice variations like in the past.

Yeah that’s what I want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pereira
02-03-2023, 11:55 PM

I have a friend that had a sit down lunch with one of the Ruger reps. last Fri. I believe.
The 39's will not be made as they would be to expensive to make according to that rep.:sad:

RP

missionary5155
02-04-2023, 08:51 AM
Used to be able to pick up a rusty bore 36 or 336 cheap Send it to JES Reboring and for about $250 have a great cast shooter. Or a .414 Super Mag with a little tinkering Or a .412-444 (405 JES).

dverna
02-04-2023, 09:54 AM
In the short term, the hoopla that will accompany the relaunch of the 1894's will cause the price of the older JM's to bump up a bit. People will want the rifle, but Ruger will not be able to meet demand.

I have an 1894 I was planning to sell and am now wondering if I should wait a couple of months.

Outer Rondacker
02-04-2023, 10:24 AM
Everybody and their dog commented.........:mrgreen: Funny stuff.

I better get in on this.

Overpriced is all I am going to say.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2023, 11:01 AM
if the prices resemble the 4570 prices ive seen on those ruger produced guns they can keep them. Im sure not paying north of 1500 bucks for lever gun. That ridiculous. Make them at half that price and they will come. Leave them that high and what will happen is nobody will buy them and the whole project with marlins at ruger will come crashing down. Same thing happened with there #1s. They got so proud of them that they priced them higher than what sane people would pay and you can see where that project is today. Heck id even be alot more apt to buy a #1 for 1500 bucks then a 94 marlin. Add to that ive always chuckled at the people who think ruger firearms are some high grade gun. Ive had more junk from ruger then all the other manufactures combined. If they like someone said really care about what there making that would have never been the case. Since Bill died that company has been run by bean counters just like rem, win and all the rest of them. Sorry if im skeptical but ive just seen to much junk get by there quality control inspectors.

W.R.Buchanan
02-04-2023, 07:09 PM
Lloyd: the Marlin project is being ran in a completely different factory, by a completely different crew. They are trying to make guns where there is no" hand fitting" required. With the machinery that has been available for the last 30+ years this should have happened long ago. If the Parts go together on paper (Or in the computer) If they follow the drawings they will go together in the real world. If you compare the price of these guns to what Winchester and Henry is offering they are right in line and the quality is right there.

I just got thru looking at every manufacturer of Levergun Products at the SHOT Show. Prices and quality of manufacture are similar . Ruger Management is well aware of past quality issues and they are determined to not let that go forward into the Marlin Line. By the same token if anybody thinks that every single gun will be perfect, they are living in LALA Land. All Manufacturers of anything experience production issues. The key to success is to get the Percentage of crap that goes out the door down to as close to zero as possible. Sometimes you can't see flaws with the naked eye.

I worked for a Company called Gaiser Tool Company. We made the little Ultrasonic Bonding Tools that stick the wires onto computer chips. We had a 90+% Market Share because every tool we shipped was perfect. That doesn't mean that every tool we made was perfect. But our scrap rate was only about .01-.02% We just had ways to inspect and cull during the production of the tools. At the end of the line there were no culls left.

However these tools were one piece and had no moving parts. They were also .0622-4 in diameter and .375 or .437 long so everyone was looked at under a microscope during and after every operation. Obviously with that much scrutiny you can achieve zero defects before they are packaged. Coors bought us out.

Guns aren't like that, so the Engineering must be a little more comprehensive. But if the Engineering is complete then every part should fit and work with every other part the same way every time. Tolerances well in excess of what was common 30-40 years ago will allow this to happen, and if those parts fit perfectly and are 100% interchangeable, then the end result will be perfect!

The only thing that gets in the way of this is "HUMAN HANDS"!!! And this has been the problem with making guns for as long as we've been making guns. The less Human Hands touch a gun the better off it will be, and the cheaper it will be as well.

What the machine shop of the future will look like will be the "Replicator" from Star Trek. No Human intervention whatsoever from start to finish and perfection occurs every time. It will happen within the next 50 years.

We won't see it! Which is fine with me.

Randy

FergusonTO35
02-04-2023, 07:46 PM
People are too happy to pay even more than $1500 for Japanese Winchesters in spite of the light strike gremlins that have dogged them for decades. Henry can't keep up with demand no matter how hard they try and many of their rifles aren't much cheaper. Ruger would really have to foul it up for the Marlin relaunch not to be successful.

fragman
02-04-2023, 11:52 PM
With the utmost respect, I would say that those who have not actually handled one are really not qualified to pass judgement on quality.

I'd also say that to make statements that they won't sell at that price is clearly incorrect given the apparent difficulty in sourcing one. Not to mention that pretty much everything is seems to be considerably more expensive than 5-10 years ago. So 1200 dollars today is getting you what was 800 dollars 5-6 years ago. This not a political statement, it's the same the world over. It's just a fact. If you want primers, it's gonna be at least 8 cents per . If you want powder, it's going to be at $40 a pound and up. Some of us are lucky enough to still have a good stock of components from when things were cheaper, but today, they cost what they cost, and the stuff is not languishing on the shelf.

I remember just 4-5 years ago getting a model 36 and a 336 off Gunbroker for barely $200 each (one might have been even less). Both were beaters but worked and shot perfectly. Due to my stunning lack of foresight, sold the 36. Had intended to reblue it etc but just had too many projects and could not close the safe. My goodness, that thing had a slick action too. Nearly 80 years of being worked had kinda smoothed it up I guess!

crash87
02-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Why wait, just like all the rest go to gunbroker and buy one OVER-priced right now. Problem is people with more money/ego than brains actually pay those prices. Ego? I got one and you dont internet hero. My LGS hasn't got one yet!
Oh! and with the 1894's showing up in spring of '23, well they say there going to be produced anyway, I cant wait to get one, and all of you to, in, here we go, 32/20, 25-20 (even with no ammo to be found or even the thought of producing), 218 BEE, 38/40, 44/40, a dedicated 38 Special, 32 H&R, 327 federal (maybe), 45 COLT, and on and on and on and on!
Crash87

rockrat
02-05-2023, 11:44 AM
Maybe I ought to turn loose of my 1894 in 357. Granted its a Remlin, but I think its one of the last ones as its a decent gun.

Wouldn't mind a 327 or a 38/40

Good Cheer
02-05-2023, 11:48 AM
Used to be able to pick up a rusty bore 36 or 336 cheap Send it to JES Reboring and for about $250 have a great cast shooter. Or a .414 Super Mag with a little tinkering Or a .412-444 (405 JES).

Years ago I'd remind myself to keep watch for 45-70 Marlins, to find one to rebarrel to this cartridge made for Lyman's #375296... but like so many things I just never got around to it. Would have made a really nice lever action.

Rrusse11
02-05-2023, 12:51 PM
Good Cheer,
Couldn't quite make out the specs on the reamer, what is it? I just bought a set of 38-56 dies to aid in caseforming 45-70
brass to 33WCF. I'd love to try the cartridge with some modern powders, not enamoured of the Marlins in 45-70,
to big a loading gate cut-out and not much meat left in the old acme style threads. The Win 1886 is the other obvious
platform, but then I much prefer the Marlin action simplicity.
Cheers!

Good Cheer
02-05-2023, 01:30 PM
It's a 45-70 necked down to .375 with a 9/16" long neck to hold lots of lube grooves.
The basic idea was to provide enough powder capacity to allow for plenty of (whoooosh!) acceleration without accuracy deleterious plastic deformation on the base of a relatively soft alloy boolit for a flat shooting 200 yard deer rifle. In the 2100-2200 velocity range settled on #375296 turned out to be a flatter shooting design than I'd hoped for, hence having being interested in a lever gun. Figured a Marlin would handle whatever pressures those soft boolits held up to.
Oh well, still got the No.1 single shot and it's still my favorite rifle, even more than the "Fremont" .69 rifled musket.

super6
02-05-2023, 01:33 PM
W.R.Buchanan, First off all thank you for your contributions to the Ruger project ! I will look forward to seeing them when they are available. I want to replace my 336 micro groove with a better barrel. Will sell the micro groove to help finance the newer Ruger. It is in 30-30.

Rrusse11
02-05-2023, 02:18 PM
Good Cheer,
Ahhh, an "improved" 38-56, what do you do for dies? Courtesy of Wikipedia, the 38-56 WCF.

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2023, 06:41 AM
randy ive probably owned at least 30 marlins through the years. From guns made in the late 50s to newer guide guns 444s 336's and 94s and can honestly say ive never had a bad one. So to smoothen out a few parts and sell them for twice the money just isnt getting me to drink the kool-aid. matter of fact while i owned those marlins i had 5 times the troubles with different rugers i owned. Ive seen absolute junk come out of there factory. I once bought a 45 colt bisley vaquaro that the notch in the back strap went from one corner to the other instead of down the middle. Ive owned more dud 77s then good ones. Dont get me started on the older semi autos. even had one of my favorite rifles, a number 1 come defective. It was a 257 roberts 1a. It would fire period and when i got to looking at it the hole for the firing pin in the block was drilled off center so far that the pin didnt even touch the primer. Ive seen some even worse crap get by there quality control people. Then add that they have nobody that actually fixes guns. Send one in and for the most part they just send you a replacement. I have problems believing the same been counters opening a factory that actually cares more about this then the old factory. This isnt Bill Ruger were talking about. By the way in all that time i had problems with various rugers and had no problems with marlins i also didnt have any problems with remington rifles either. Add to that im not the guy that buys a gun and maybe puts 500 rounds through it in a lifetime. Thats just a decent weekend. I have to take it back though. I have had a couple marlin extractors break but those were on guns with LOTS of rounds. Honestly i could give a rip as to what they think there worth. I already have all the marlins and winchesters i need and all of them shoot just fine thank you. i just get a good laugh out of the "ruger bought so now there better" comments you see. thats about like polaris buying out yamaha and people chearing it on saying now we will get better yamahas.

papaglenn
02-06-2023, 09:17 AM
I have to agree with Lloyd in the post above. I have sent back two brand new Rugers in the past 2 years. I ordered them in to my FFL but when I opened the box they were unacceptable.

It's not just Ruger either. I also had to return a brand new Smith and Wesson for an over clocked barrel. When I called Kentucky Gun Company for a return of the new Smith the customer service guy said "I'm not surprised, we get a lot of those."

My hope is that there is so much attention on Ruger's new Marlins that they are paying attention. They must know that one bad batch of rifles will echo across the internet like thunder. Now saying that there is a video on youtube from the guy "target suite" I think it is. He bought a brand new Ruger Marlin in 45-70 and it had an incorrectly machined bolt.

Not a good look.

FergusonTO35
02-06-2023, 10:05 AM
All I can say is, it's good that somebody is making Marlins again and they seem to really care about what they are doing. What kills me is how Winchester has turned out alot of crudely made junk over the years but people just give them a pass. And they still refuse to address the light strikes on their otherwise very nice rifles that cost four figures.

W.R.Buchanan
02-06-2023, 04:03 PM
OK guys I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I can only report what I have seen with my own eyes, and what I've seen compared to what I've worked on over the years tells me that the new ones are better made.
Technology is moving in one direction. That direction is to remove as much of the "Human Touch" as is possible. These new guns are assembled out of parts in bins that are machined, finished and then assembled into working Rifles. They don't require extra work to fit right. They are machined right to begin with! This should have been done 30 years ago.

As I said, the dozen or so of these guns I have personally inspected were so far above anything that has come before it is pathetic.

As far as price? It is, what it is, and you can either pay it or not. But the prices are NOT GOING DOWN so get used to it. This is not Peculiar to these guns either. My lunch at my favorite restaurant just got bumped another $1.20 to $13.95. This is because CA raised the Minimum Wage to $15.50/ hour. The costs for everything are increasing.

Most of you know that I am a Machinist/Toolmaker by trade. As such, my ability to evaluate machined parts is by definition better than people who aren't trained in those trades. I can rework a Marlin action in a little less than 2 hours and it will run as smooth as is possible for this action.

The thing is that the new guns I have had in my hands run nearly as smooth as older ones I have reworked without the rework. My reworking consists of "Detailing" all of the internal parts by knocking off sharp edges and general deburring and I usually put in a Spring Kit from Brownell's for $10.

The Ruger guns already have all the Sharp Edges knocked off, but they don't have weaker springs, because you don't want a misfire when Mr. Bear or Ms. Piggy is charging you !!! That is the only difference in how they compare to reworked or well used older guns.

I am happily paying the $13.95 for my meal because I not only like the food, I also like the people who are making it and want them to stay in business so I can eat there every Wednesday.

I can say the same thing about Ruger, except I don't eat there on Wednesdays.

Randy

FergusonTO35
02-06-2023, 05:02 PM
I for one don't mind paying extra for a quality rifle that I really like. You want a cheap rifle that performs well, go buy a Savage Axis (I got one and love it). In any event, today's cheap MOA bolt actions are the reason the economy lever actions and single shots are gone. Adjusted for inflation, they actually cost alot less than the latter two did and it's pretty hard to argue with how well they shoot.

FergusonTO35
02-07-2023, 12:58 AM
The price of guns relative to my income really hasn't increased much at all in my 44 years on planet Earth. Sure, I could buy a new 336 or 94 for $250.00 in the late 90's but that was still more than a week's pay for me back then.

jstanfield103
02-07-2023, 05:12 AM
Love Marlin, very happy about Ruger making them now. I do have the Trapper model made by Ruger. I have been waiting and waiting for a new 1894 made in 44 Mag but tired of waiting and bought the Henry (just like a Marlin) in steel receiver yesterday. So my waiting is over and Marlin lost on that rifle.

missionary5155
02-07-2023, 08:18 AM
If they would produce a 41 magnum !

DAVIDMAGNUM
02-07-2023, 09:16 AM
All I can say is, it's good that somebody is making Marlins again and they seem to really care about what they are doing. What kills me is how Winchester has turned out alot of crudely made junk over the years but people just give them a pass. And they still refuse to address the light strikes on their otherwise very nice rifles that cost four figures.

The firing pin with four parts (if you don't count the roll pins) . The spring loaded plunger and cam, and on top of that it is an inertia firing pin, ridiculous . My 1886 Winchester had a trigger pull of over 10lbs ! Make them the way John Moses Browning designed them.

FergusonTO35
02-07-2023, 10:40 AM
The firing pin with four parts (if you don't count the roll pins) . The spring loaded plunger and cam, and on top of that it is an inertia firing pin, ridiculous . My 1886 Winchester had a trigger pull of over 10lbs ! Make them the way John Moses Browning designed them.

This 100%. You charge somebody outrageous money and then include an absolutely horrid design in the deal. They already put a manual safety on the thing, give it a real firing pin. You know, like every bolt action under the sun!

375supermag
02-07-2023, 12:50 PM
��
I would certainly buy at least one in .41Magnum.

W.R.Buchanan
02-07-2023, 04:59 PM
All of the past variations are possible, but the basics have to get up and running first. I am pretty sure that all reasonable calibers will be included. Previously all these guns were all done in batches, and sold to outfits like Davidson's, Lipsey's and others as "Specials". Typically it is a 500 piece run, and places like Lipsey's and Davidson's get special calibers and finishes that are not available elsewhere.

If you remember the Ruger Flattop Bisley's in .44 Special, were made for Lipsey's. I got one of the first run of them which sold out in 2 days! Then they made another 500 and those sold out in about a week. There is a market for "Special Items." But you have to be ready to buy 500 or it won't happen. Obviously if you feel the market is there you would be willing to make that commitment.

Randy

Rrusse11
02-08-2023, 12:47 AM
So we'd need to get a group buy together. 500 1894 41Mag CBs, 24" octagon barrel.
Guessing here at least $500@, hmmmmmm gents, think we can raise $250,000?
I may be way off on the initial cost, but it's a thought.

W.R.Buchanan
02-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Probably more like $700 ea.? Just a guess. Randy

Misery-Whip
02-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Cast boolits edition!

Moleman-
02-08-2023, 08:06 PM
I got to handle a new Ruger made 1895 trapper and if I wanted a 16" 45/70 I'd of bought it. Only one of the Rugers I've seen. I get the slow rollout, but it is stil frustrating. I have a couple 336's but would add a SS 30/30, a 35rem, 375Win or 38/55. Only have one 1894 in 44 mag, but would add an octogon barrel 44mag and a 357. Looking forward to seeing them on the shelf which will likely take a while.

FergusonTO35
02-08-2023, 09:57 PM
Sure would love to see the 1895 CBA come back!

Rrusse11
02-09-2023, 03:05 PM
Now here's a question, can you hammer forge an octagon barrel?
Thinking about it, it might be impossible. Or do you you start oversize and then machine flats?
And I agree with Randy, $700-$800 is likely a more realistic price. Still, I'm thinking the demand is out there,,,,,,,,,

indian joe
02-09-2023, 05:50 PM

I have a little plastic bag in my parts drawer with the excess bits in from a Browning model 71 (late 1990's so pre the tang safety)
The stupid part of it is - its impossible to fire JMB's design (1886,71,1892) unless the locking bolts are almost fully home and the lever almost fully closed - the Japanese built in a second version of what was already part of the design and in the process incorporated a fault that could get someone killed - being that the 86 and 71 were guns to be used on big angry critters that bite back on occasion.

I left the rebound spring at the front of the firing pin in my 71 when I fixed it but it should be in the little bag too

indian joe
02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Thinking about it, it might be impossible. Or do you you start oversize and then machine flats?
And I agree with Randy, $700-$800 is likely a more realistic price. Still, I'm thinking the demand is out there,,,,,,,,,

somebody has to put 300k on the table ahead of time --with guns flying off the shelf as fast as they come in the door anyway --unlikely it will happen.
I dunno - not a marlin fan - no reason - just is what happened along the way.

FergusonTO35
02-09-2023, 11:00 PM

People are already happy to pay that much for a deluxe Rossi, and more than that for an Italian import. At $700-800 real world price Ruger won't be able to make them fast enough.

Rrusse11
02-09-2023, 11:32 PM
"somebody has to put 300k on the table ahead of time" indian joe

Chump change for a hedge fund manager.

TXTad
02-10-2023, 12:51 AM
I just hope they'll make a 22" "regular" model 1895 .45-70

sukivel
02-10-2023, 08:16 AM
People are already happy to pay that much for a deluxe Rossi, and more than that for an Italian import. At $700-800 real world price Ruger won't be able to make them fast enough.

That’s what I thought!

$7-800 for a 41 mag lever seems too good to be true.

W.R.Buchanan
02-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Uh, that $700-800 price is what the gun costs at the Distributor Level when they buy 500, not the Retail Level. Retail will be more like $1300-1400 with the guns going for more initially due to "Availability Mark Up." My Local Gun Store sold every 1895 they got in at $1995 and none lasted more than a few days.

And don't quote me on any of these prices as I am just guessing !!!

Randy.

jstanfield103
02-10-2023, 08:18 PM
Well I got tired of waiting for the New Marlin 1894's, so now I own my second Henry in 44 Mag. (Steel this time) or should I say I bought a Henry Marlin.

FergusonTO35
02-11-2023, 12:52 AM
Uh, that $700-800 price is what the gun costs at the Distributor Level when they buy 500, not the Retail Level. Retail will be more like $1300-1400 with the guns going for more initially due to "Availability Mark Up." My Local Gun Store sold every 1895 they got in at $1995 and none lasted more than a few days.

And don't quote me on any of these prices as I am just guessing !!!

Randy.

My usual shop really doesn't mark up new guns much at all, usually 10-15%. He makes most of his money on ammo, used guns, and accessories. If he was paying a grand to the distributor I would guess he would price it at 1150.00, probably accept 1100.00 if you are a long time customer.

I see no reason why Ruger couldn't be price competitive with Henry on at least the standard versions of the 1894, 1895, and 336. The designs and materials aren't much different, and of course Ruger has enormous resources they can draw on. If parts production is mostly automated and requires little to no fitting, economy of scale should bring the prices down an awful lot.

W.R.Buchanan
02-11-2023, 03:30 PM
"Economy of scale should bring the prices down an awful lot." Maybe in a few years after all the Engineering is done and the production line is running smoothly. However by that time inflation will have jacked the prices of everything up beyond what they are today.

My advice is if you see something you like you better buy it. There is no telling when It might show up again, and will probably cost more when it does.

Randy.

r80rt
02-11-2023, 06:08 PM
The guns aren't worth more, the money is worth less. Buy it now, it'll never be less expensive than it is today.

papaglenn
02-11-2023, 11:41 PM
The guns aren't worth more, the money is worthless. Buy it now, it'll never be less expensive than it is today.

This right here!!

The guns aren't worth more. Just like your house isn't worth more.

Your dollars are worth less!

Buy now and enjoy them.

At my age I am too old to worry. I have given up waiting on Ruger/Marlin. Not that I don't think Ruger will succeed. I think they will make fine rifles.

Ruger seems to make less product than the consumers want to keep the prices up. Fair enough and if I were 30 years old again it wouldn't bother me.

I already have several Marlins that work great. Two are Remlins. So I'm good. I am in the process of downsizing. I sold a couple of old beater project cars that I would never get to and bought a Rossi 92 45 Colt, Rossi 92 357 magnum and a Citadel (CBC/Rossi) Levtac 92 in 357 magnum. I am enjoying the heck out of them as they are the best Brazilian 92's ever made in my opinion. As accurate as any of my Marlins and smooth as glass.

Will I buy a Ruger Marlin? Maybe. If the price is right. But the magic has worn off for me.

Outer Rondacker
02-12-2023, 08:54 AM
I just saw the MSRP for the 45-70. What, In my neck of the woods a guy would have to work the entire month and not pay any bills or eat just to buy a gun to shoot a dear to save on food. Ammo for 45-70 around here is 50+ dollars a box. Remember I am looking at this from a working mans class with a young family to take care of and do not own anything just looking to hunt. Tax hunting license and ammo we are looking at 1750 ish. Crazy and honestly not going to happen. Ruger has marketed themselves out of a major class of people.

FergusonTO35
02-13-2023, 10:06 AM
I just saw the MSRP for the 45-70. What, In my neck of the woods a guy would have to work the entire month and not pay any bills or eat just to buy a gun to shoot a dear to save on food. Ammo for 45-70 around here is 50+ dollars a box. Remember I am looking at this from a working mans class with a young family to take care of and do not own anything just looking to hunt. Tax hunting license and ammo we are looking at 1750 ish. Crazy and honestly not going to happen. Ruger has marketed themselves out of a major class of people.

Respectfully, new lever actions haven't been affordable for the working man for quite awhile now. People looking for a new functional hunting rifle at a good price would be crazy to go with anything other than one of the new MOA cheap bolt actions (Savage Axis, TC Compass, etc.), not that there is much else out there. Back when you could buy a new 94 or 336 for three bills, you were buying a rifle with alot of compromises made to get the price down and you could in fact be buying a project gun. I'm currently sorting out a 1985 94 which won't group worth a poo, and the workmanship and parts fit on this example is absolutely nothing to be proud of. The talented folks of the Khyber Pass could easily make a better rifle than this thing is.

I think Ruger is also aware that today's lever action buyers want very well made rifles and aren't afraid to spend serious coin on them. Look at how much the Italian replicas and Japanese Winchesters go for. I would love to see someone come out with a new lever action design that is tube fed and has the classic look but can be easily mass produced with low labor costs. Henry has incorporated this somewhat, and their rifles are well made and come with A+ customer service if you should ever need it.

W.R.Buchanan
02-13-2023, 04:14 PM

Ruger is just making guns for what it costs to stay in business. "Joe Biden" has made that class of people into Impoverished Slaves!!!. I have lost so much money on the Equity of my Home it is ridiculous. I blame J Powell for that because instead of confronting Biden and making him "Turn the Oil back on!!!" which is what caused the crash in the first place. He decides the only way to combat Inflation is by Raising Interest Rates which makes all the Banks see Windfall Profits at the expense of the rest of us.!

They really don't care and the sooner we can get rid of them the better off the citizens of this country will be.

Randy

FergusonTO35
02-13-2023, 04:56 PM
Another thing to remember is, for most of the twentieth century bolt action rifles were regarded as upscale and levers were the working man's gun. Nowadays that has flipped, with very accurate bolt guns selling for less than cheap lever actions did when adjusted for inflation. Even rather recently, basic bolt actions sold for more than lever actions. In 2003, I bought a new Winchester 94 Ranger and my best friend bought a new Remington 700 ADL from the same shop. Sticker price on my rifle was $275.00, his was $399.00. Adjusted for inflation, my 94 cost around $437.00 and his 700 cost around $634.00. That's quite a cost difference, especially considering the 94 is a more complicated design. By comparison, the Savage Axis with scope for $375.00 at my side job shop would have cost only $236.00 20 years ago.

elmacgyver0
02-13-2023, 05:27 PM
Ruger is just making guns for what it costs to stay in business. "Joe Biden" has made that class of people into Impoverished Slaves!!!. I have lost so much money on the Equity of my Home it is ridiculous. I blame J Powell for that because instead of confronting Biden and making him "Turn the Oil back on!!!" which is what caused the crash in the first place. He decides the only way to combat Inflation is by Raising Interest Rates which makes all the Banks see Windfall Profits at the expense of the rest of us.!

They really don't care and the sooner we can get rid of them the better off the citizens of this country will be.

Randy

Most people are too stupid to have your insight.

Pereira
02-13-2023, 06:49 PM
That’s what I thought!

$7-800 for a 41 mag lever seems too good to be true.

You can add my name to that list.[smilie=1:

RP

FergusonTO35
02-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Looked at some more pictures of the 336 and 1894 from the Shot Show. They are handsome rifles and Ruglin is keeping the .35 available in the 336. Winoku eat your heart out, sign me up!

anongeorge
02-15-2023, 10:50 AM
I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983

I'm waiting patiently for a .44 mag marlin with a 20 twist barrel .

FergusonTO35
02-15-2023, 02:37 PM
I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983

I'm waiting patiently for a .44 mag marlin with a 20 twist barrel .

Agree 100%. Look at how much some folks have tied up in one bass boat or ATV.

W.R.Buchanan
02-15-2023, 08:00 PM
Another Tid Bit to consider is that Pick Up Truck and/or Bass Boat will decrease in value over time. The gun won't.

Randy

elmacgyver0
02-15-2023, 08:15 PM
I would be happy to pay $1400 for a new Ruglin 45/70 with threaded barrel, if I could get one locally.

3Crows
02-15-2023, 11:35 PM
I own a number of Marlins of various years and the best three I have ever owned are these, a new Ruger-Marlin 1895 SBL, GBL and a late Remington-Marlin SBL:

https://i.postimg.cc/T2HP84X2/Screen-Shot-2022-11-01-at-11-03-53-AM.png (https://postimg.cc/z3KNKpB4)

I was able to get the SBL at MSRP and the GBL at well under MSRP. My favorite is still the Remington, it is what it is and we know each other.

Outer Rondacker
02-16-2023, 07:35 AM
I just wish they where making it in other calibers.

Outer Rondacker
02-16-2023, 07:42 AM
I would be happy to pay $1400 for a new Ruglin 45/70 with threaded barrel, if I could get one locally.

https://gunprime.com/products/marlin-1895-trapper-45-70-large-loop-16-stainless-steel-barrel-70450?gd

trapper9260
02-16-2023, 08:12 AM
I get a laugh out of the guys who think nothing of spending 80k on a pickup truck and then turn around and complain that a new gun costs more then the $350 they paid for something in 1983 .
You got this so right. I seen it also. In other things also. Yes guns just keep going up no matter they are used. Go to a estate auction and you see used guns go for more then you can buy used. That is the same maker and all the same . I had a friend told me about a person went to one and there was a 22lr wheel gun for sale and the person did not what to spend the price on it and one gun said he had one and then person was willing to pay him for the same price he can get a new one.

FergusonTO35
02-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Another Tid Bit to consider is that Pick Up Truck and/or Bass Boat will decrease in value over time. The gun won't.

Randy

Even worse than that, look how much some folks spend on their friggin' cell phone! Those are practically worthless after a year or two.

dverna
02-16-2023, 10:49 AM
I have learned a few things over the years. People love to complain about "if only". Then when "if only" comes around, they find some excuse for not getting what they say they told others they wanted.

There is a thread on the new Henry 9mm carbine. People going ga-ga over it. But it will likely cost $850. And I suspect most of the "if only" folks think $650 is the "right price".

And you wonder why manufactures pay little heed to the stuff posted on sites like this.

What Ruger is doing is good business. There is not a large market for lever action rifles so mass producing them would be foolish. Keep the number of units down and prices up.

I suspect the new 1984's will be $1000-1100 and the new 336's $100 more. People hoping to see $800 lever guns out of Ruger are living in an alternate reality. Heck, a Sig 365 is selling for $700 with plastic parts!

Rapier
02-16-2023, 01:03 PM
If they want to do the world a favor build a Marlin in a 357 Super Mag.:twisted: Do not bother, that was intentional. poke, poke.

FergusonTO35
02-16-2023, 02:17 PM
I have learned a few things over the years. People love to complain about "if only". Then when "if only" comes around, they find some excuse for not getting what they say they told others they wanted.

There is a thread on the new Henry 9mm carbine. People going ga-ga over it. But it will likely cost $850. And I suspect most of the "if only" folks think $650 is the "right price".

And you wonder why manufactures pay little heed to the stuff posted on sites like this.

What Ruger is doing is good business. There is not a large market for lever action rifles so mass producing them would be foolish. Keep the number of units down and prices up.

I suspect the new 1984's will be $1000-1100 and the new 336's $100 more. People hoping to see $800 lever guns out of Ruger are living in an alternate reality. Heck, a Sig 365 is selling for $700 with plastic parts!

Very true! Another problem with Ruger trying to make cheapmart grade Marlins is they would still have to compete with thousands of perfectly good used ones out there. I think Remington learned this the hard way, given that back then you could still buy a really nice JM 336 for the same price or less than a new matte finish/fat stock Remlin.

r80rt
02-16-2023, 07:02 PM

I hope you are right, I have $1100 saved up for a new 1894 in 357!

Rrusse11
02-16-2023, 08:51 PM
r80rt,
You'll need more than that unless you're very patient on Gunbroker. There's a clean 20" CB on GB now that's still sitting after 3 rounds of auctions. $1500 with shipping. Or just keep trolling through the local gunshops and pawnshops, put ads up in the local shooting clubs/ranges etc. I predict new Ruglins will be circa the same kind of money by the time it's in hand. Bargains are out there to be had, but you really gotta' scour the internet. Or get lucky locally. KNOW when you find it, and grab it.

gc45
02-16-2023, 10:19 PM
Be nice if gun folks would stop buying off gun broker at inflated prices.

dverna
02-16-2023, 10:25 PM
Be nice if gun folks would stop buying off gun broker at inflated prices.

It is called capitalism. BTW, I have seen some stupid prices at gun shows and the LGS too.

papaglenn
02-17-2023, 12:31 AM

I put this one my wishlist this morning.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/henry-homesteader-9mm-carbine-16.37-bbl-blued-walnut-10rd

r80rt
02-17-2023, 08:55 AM
r80rt,
You'll need more than that unless you're very patient on Gunbroker. There's a clean 20" CB on GB now that's still sitting after 3 rounds of auctions. $1500 with shipping. Or just keep trolling through the local gunshops and pawnshops, put ads up in the local shooting clubs/ranges etc. I predict new Ruglins will be circa the same kind of money by the time it's in hand. Bargains are out there to be had, but you really gotta' scour the internet. Or get lucky locally. KNOW when you find it, and grab it.

I've seen those on GB, but I don't want one. I'm waiting on the new Ruger/Marlin, I'll keep saving my pennies.

dverna
02-17-2023, 09:25 AM
I put this one my wishlist this morning.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/henry-homesteader-9mm-carbine-16.37-bbl-blued-walnut-10rd

That is a great price if they honor it. My doubt comes from the MSRP being quoted at $928.

Hope it works out fo you and you will be kind enough to give us a range report when you get it!!

FergusonTO35
02-17-2023, 07:42 PM
I don't have a problem paying big bucks for a quality gun that I enjoy and will pass down to my kid. I'm 2017 I paid over a grand for one of the last Hi-Powers made by FN, test fired November 2016. I love that pistol and it was worth every penny.

farmbif
02-17-2023, 09:29 PM
I still dont understand it. I never had a desire for a dinosaur killing gun. the old 444s will kill anything and everything it's pointed at and works very well with bullets I cast for the 44 mag. but with so many that just have to have a 45-70 I guess they won't be making any 444's anytime soon. as far as the 41mag I got a Henry bbs when they first came out for less than $700 with bud's price match guarantee and discount and I like it a bit better than the marlin. now that I'm over the fact that they could have polished it with a finer grit before blueing. I only wish Lyman would make oversized lube size dies for the 41.

FergusonTO35
02-18-2023, 10:09 AM
To each his own. Love my Henry .45-70 with a Lyman 292 over 12.8 of Unique and plan to add a Golden Boy or Ruglin at some point.

bisleyfan41
02-20-2023, 07:42 PM

I agree most of this, except for the bolded. If Ruger were to non-stop crank out 357 1894s for a year, they'd sell every one easily. JMO

elmacgyver0
02-20-2023, 08:11 PM
I am kind of waiting for a Henry X in 45/70.
The premier dealer in my area, I think they call it Gold Dealer told me it may be 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years before they see them, I am on the list, but how far down, I don't know.
There was one at the local Thiesens store for the longest time, but I said no, (stupid) I'm going to wait until I get my silencer.
Well, I got my silencer and now I can't find the Henry X to save my soul.
The funny thing is you can find anything you want at Gunbroker for twice the price all day long.
If I have to go that route, I will never have it. Not that I can't afford it, but I have my principals.

FergusonTO35
02-21-2023, 10:18 AM
I agree most of this, except for the bolded. If Ruger were to non-stop crank out 357 1894s for a year, they'd sell every one easily. JMO

Agreed. Henry has like 5 years of orders right now and people are too happy to pay the same money for a Rossi that would have bought a NIB JM Marlin just a few years ago. Lever actions are red hot right now, and most gunmakers are not set up to make them unlike AR's and poly frame auto pistols. The relatively few makers of lever actions out there have a captive market that is willing to spend.

freakonaleash
02-21-2023, 10:29 AM
I'm buying antique Marlins at the same price that are far better guns than this new made junk. Good Grief!

Cosmic_Charlie
02-21-2023, 12:22 PM
The prices on these new ones make the nicer vintage ones I see at gun shows look attractive.

tja6435
02-21-2023, 12:27 PM
I'm buying antique Marlins at the same price that are far better guns than this new made junk. Good Grief!

What’s junk about the new Rugers? From the review videos I’ve seen on them, the fit and finish looks very good and the action seems to be nice and slick. Also, it seems that the Ruger was designed to allow unloading via the loading gate, which is pretty cool to me.

TurnipEaterDown
02-21-2023, 12:50 PM

Honest question: What qualifies a Marlin as "antique" in your view?

No jab, but the Model 1894 44 Rem Mag micro groove I bought new ~ 1992, and sold ~ 1999 had two things going for it: Nice wood, and really great accuracy.
The negatives were: horribly tool marked bore that took 3-5 days to get copper fouling out of after 30 rounds (Hoppes 9 alternated w/ Sweets), hole machining for fore end cap screw so misplaced that the screw was obviously cocked from external visual inspection and was Very hard to reassemble, a trigger so gritty that it was the first that I ever stoned and then dry fired hundreds of times to get to be acceptable, and burrs on internal parts that would slice your hand open during handling when pulling the bolt for cleaning.

Last I looked at auctions (about 2016) for similar to what I sold in 1999, the prices were $800-900. Can't imagine they are more reasonable now.

freakonaleash
02-21-2023, 02:14 PM
Honest question: What qualifies a Marlin as "antique" in your view?

No jab, but the Model 1894 44 Rem Mag micro groove I bought new ~ 1992, and sold ~ 1999 had two things going for it: Nice wood, and really great accuracy.
The negatives were: horribly tool marked bore that took 3-5 days to get copper fouling out of after 30 rounds (Hoppes 9 alternated w/ Sweets), hole machining for fore end cap screw so misplaced that the screw was obviously cocked from external visual inspection and was Very hard to reassemble, a trigger so gritty that it was the first that I ever stoned and then dry fired hundreds of times to get to be acceptable, and burrs on internal parts that would slice your hand open during handling when pulling the bolt for cleaning.

Last I looked at auctions (about 2016) for similar to what I sold in 1999, the prices were $800-900. Can't imagine they are more reasonable now.

I have three old marlins at the moment. A M1881 in 40 65 made in 1887, a M1893 in 38 55 made in 1896 and a M1895 in 40 82 made in 1903. Easily superior in quality than any of those clunky modern guns they put out today.

r80rt
02-21-2023, 09:10 PM
I've had a good look at a couple of the new Ruger Marlins and many of the old ones. I'll take a new one.

376Steyr
02-22-2023, 03:14 AM
I'm watching an auction for a 1894C JM Marlin in .357. 15 bids, $1050, and it still has two days to go. Make of that what you will.

FergusonTO35
02-22-2023, 09:31 AM
As a guy who owns and really likes a nice 1894C, I would not pay that kind of money for it. I would buy a new Henry and still have plenty left over. If the new Ruglins are as good as they are supposed to be and fairly available, I think JM prices are going to soften as people who are practical hunters and shooters are going to buy them instead. I love my JM rifles and own several, but over a grand for a not uncommon rifle in typical used condition with no factory support is not a good deal in my book. And that applies even more to any post-64 Winchester, those things are a real slot machine of problems.

Rockindaddy
02-22-2023, 09:48 AM
Sure would be great if they make a 1893 carbine in 38-55 !!! Make it with a half magazine Leave out the lawyer cross bolt safety that usually gets removed. Mount a sling swivel mount on the end of the magazine tube. Perhaps a stainless model with green laminate wood. Great brush buster!!!

jstanfield103
02-23-2023, 04:24 AM
I own old Marlins and the New Ruger/Marlin. I think that the New Marlin is every bit as nice and as good quality as the old Marlins and I feel that they may not inherit the Marlin Jam, all though I have never had that problem. But then again I prefer the New Winchester rifles myself. :) 1892 action.

Shawlerbrook
02-23-2023, 07:40 AM
I am glad to still have a choice and am thrilled that a quality company like Ruger saved the Marlin brand.

dverna
02-23-2023, 08:48 AM
I'm watching an auction for a 1894C JM Marlin in .357. 15 bids, $1050, and it still has two days to go. Make of that what you will.

I have a like new .44 mag JM listed in S&S for $1000. I will likely close the post later today and list it where it will get more interest. Folks here are more sophisticated and know the twist is "wrong". But for the Fudds who shoot 240 gr factory type ammunition it will be good enough.

FergusonTO35
02-23-2023, 09:29 AM
I am glad to still have a choice and am thrilled that a quality company like Ruger saved the Marlin brand.

This 100%!!

FergusonTO35
02-23-2023, 09:30 AM
I have a like new .44 mag JM listed in S&S for $1000. I will likely close the post later today and list it where it will get more interest. Folks here are more sophisticated and know the twist is "wrong". But for the Fudds who shoot 240 gr factory type ammunition it will be good enough.

If I was looking for a .44 I would probably try to make a deal for your rifle, since it comes from a known source with a good reputation. Unknown seller on GB, no way.

hornetguy
04-01-2023, 06:58 PM
I have emails from a local online gun shop... don't know if I can mention them by name....
If you want a new Ruger made Marlin 1895 SBR, they have some.....

Oh, did I mention they are $2,400?? And this store normally has the lowest prices around... doesn't look like I'll be getting one. I mean, it's not the money.... ok, ok, it's the money.

MrWolf
04-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Have you seen the prices over on MarlinOwners? Wow. Granted those are asking and not really selling but some folks think they have gold. Saw another post stating would rather have a Henry than the JM Marlins. I just don't like the Henry for some reason and yes I have a few. Everyone is different.
Ron

hornetguy
04-02-2023, 06:14 PM
Have you seen the prices over on MarlinOwners? Wow. Granted those are asking and not really selling but some folks think they have gold. Saw another post stating would rather have a Henry than the JM Marlins. I just don't like the Henry for some reason and yes I have a few. Everyone is different.
Ron

The Marlins all seem to start around $800 or so, and that's for the plain jane, run of the mill 336's.... the 1895's are way higher than that, usually $1500 and up.
Henry's are around $800-ish.
I have a Henry, steel, side gate, in .357 mag. I am very pleased with it. Smooth, fit and finish are at least as good as any Marlin I've seen.

c0wb0y84
04-09-2023, 09:29 PM
Has anyone here held the new 336 classic or are online dealers just auctioning guns they don't really have yet? I don't expect them to be much different then the 1895s ruger has already made and the price seems high but I guess that's the new normal.

FergusonTO35
01-11-2024, 05:50 PM
Saw a new 1895 GBL at the fun store today, and it seems to be very well made. Price was $1129.00 and I think that is a good deal for a nice lever action .45-70. Funny how prices on these things are all over the place. So, the standard 1895 should be real world price of less than a grand.

FergusonTO35
01-12-2024, 08:04 PM
Thing is, the sub-MOA bolt actions have completely displaced the cheap mart grade 336 and 94 as the basic low cost hunting rifle. The last of the latter were made by Remlin, still cost more than the Axis/Compass/783 etc., and were nothing to be proud of. You could tell Remlin did everything they could to keep the price down, and of course the tales of woe surrounding these rifles is the stuff of legend.

Rockindaddy
01-12-2024, 08:45 PM
Yeah Freakonaleash! The hammer cross bolt safety is a lawyer safety that will only cost you a nice shot at a great buck! That safety can automatically slide across the receiver and block the hammer fall. I have removed plenty of them and replaced them with a pair of spring pins that look like an extra screw in the receiver.

Jim22
01-13-2024, 01:48 PM
How is the trigger? Is it like Ruger's normal heavy, creepy? Will the rifles still need a trigger job?

Jim

vonb
01-15-2024, 07:46 PM
How is the trigger? Is it like Ruger's normal heavy, creepy? Will the rifles still need a trigger job?

Jim

Yes, heavy with creep. I have a new Marlin in .44 Mag.

FergusonTO35
01-19-2024, 05:42 PM
My side job shop has a new Ruglin .44 and its a real beauty. Even at $1200.00 I think it is worth it as long as it shoots as good as it looks. The Italian and Japanese 92's go for that much or more. I bet my local shop could sell one for less than that.

Recycled bullet
01-19-2024, 06:37 PM
My side job shop has a new Ruglin .44 and its a real beauty. Even at $1200.00 I think it is worth it as long as it shoots as good as it looks. The Italian and Japanese 92's go for that much or more. I bet my local shop could sell one for less than that.Could you please check the twist rate on that rifle?

longbow
01-19-2024, 10:59 PM
The Marlin site says 1:20". I am hoping that is true!

Another good question is what the groove diameter is! Has anyone slugged one to see if the .44 is "normal" .44 groove diameter or the oversize SAAMI spec for rifles? Mine like boolits of at least 0.433".

The pics of the gun on the website look very nice! I have a 1980's vintage 1894 that has plain... make that ugly, wood and the fit and finish is poor with gaps around tangs. I am sure that Ruger used the nicer looking guns for the adds but if they are even remotely close to what we will be buying they will be nicer than mine!

Longbow

dverna
01-20-2024, 06:40 AM
I have put more rounds through pistol caliber lever actions than another other CF rifles. They are just a lot of fun to shoot for ringing steel.

I did sell the .44 Mag Marlin, Rossi .45LC, and two .357 Uberti rifles but kept the two Marlins. One in .38 and the other in .357. I did not shoot them much when the cost of primers went nuts. With "off brand" primers down under $60/k they will be seeing more use this year.

IMO, $1000 is lot of money for a "fun toy" but worth it. If you are a younger guy, they will provide a lifetime of fun. Even if you only live another 20 years, it comes to $50/year. If you die sooner, you can't take the money with you anyway.

I was disappointed with the review Idaho Guy did on his new gun. The accuracy was poor. I hope it was due to using factory ammunition, but I fear that is not the whole story. I have not seen any other reports wrt the accuracy of these guns. My old ones put 10 rounds into an inch at 30 yards with mouse phart loads and that was all I needed for CAS. I plan to test them at 100 yards this year with .38+P loads and will report back.

John Wayne
01-20-2024, 11:54 AM
Ruger and Mr. Buchanan give us hope. I look forward to the Cowboy action shooters really working them hard. If they're as rugged as the old Vaqueros it will be a winner.
:guntootsmiley:

TXTad
01-21-2024, 12:01 PM
What’s junk about the new Rugers? From the review videos I’ve seen on them, the fit and finish looks very good and the action seems to be nice and slick. Also, it seems that the Ruger was designed to allow unloading via the loading gate, which is pretty cool to me.

My LGS has several recent ones and I see some very inconsistent quality. They have two Lipseys 5" blue GP100s. One is great, with tight lockup and good wood, the other is sloppy and has grips that won't get tight. I have the good one set aside for me.

I've also noticed that none of the wood grips fit all that well any more, which is actually surprising to me as I would expect in this CNC world they would be better than ever. Maybe not like the hand-fitted grips of yesteryear, but all pretty tight and consistent.

murf205
01-22-2024, 03:27 PM
Has anyone here held the new 336 classic or are online dealers just auctioning guns they don't really have yet? I don't expect them to be much different then the 1895s ruger has already made and the price seems high but I guess that's the new normal.

I have seen and handled a new 336 and it was as smooth as I've seen on a new gun. The fit and finish was very good. If I did'nt already have a Glenfield 30A I would be sorely tempted but I am waiting for a 35 cal. At the same time, I got to look over a new Rossi that had a remarkable resemblance to a 336 and it was as good as the Marlin except for the polishing of the metal finish, but impressive for the $.

Hometek
01-24-2024, 12:27 AM
The Marlin site says 1:20". I am hoping that is true!

Another good question is what the groove diameter is! Has anyone slugged one to see if the .44 is "normal" .44 groove diameter or the oversize SAAMI spec for rifles? Mine like boolits of at least 0.433".

The pics of the gun on the website look very nice! I have a 1980's vintage 1894 that has plain... make that ugly, wood and the fit and finish is poor with gaps around tangs. I am sure that Ruger used the nicer looking guns for the adds but if they are even remotely close to what we will be buying they will be nicer than mine!

Longbow

I picked up my Ruger Marlin 1894 in .44 mag for $1060 out the door. Haven't shot it yet. I slugged the barrel and it measured .430. I'm replacing the safety with with the Beartooth Mercantile saddle ring and taking the recoil pad off and replacing with a factory hard plastic buttplate. Seems like a really nice levergun. Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.

FergusonTO35
01-24-2024, 09:55 AM
I picked up my Ruger Marlin 1894 in .44 mag for $1060 out the door. Haven't shot it yet. I slugged the barrel and it measured .430. I'm replacing the safety with with the Beartooth Mercantile saddle ring and taking the recoil pad off and replacing with a factory hard plastic buttplate. Seems like a really nice levergun. Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.

Sweet! One of these might be in my future.

ChuckJaxFL
02-04-2024, 11:42 PM
Now if they would just make a Marlin 39A mountie. They would get more of my money. The gun store also had a .357 mag version right beside it.

I wish! I’d bet that would be a $2,500.00 rifle. But, I still hope they do it.

Tazman1602
02-06-2024, 09:15 PM
I wish! I’d bet that would be a $2,500.00 rifle. But, I still hope they do it.

Man the thought of a 39A just made my checkbook flinch……

Art

Styles
02-12-2024, 08:03 AM
Handling coal of 1.620” would have been a nice ask.

FergusonTO35
02-12-2024, 09:43 AM
If Ruglin brings back the 336 Texan I will sell a kidney to get one. My favorite hunting rifle of all time hands down. Took a giant buck with my 1976 edition that is on my living room wall.

farmbif
02-13-2024, 06:13 PM
I saw a new one today at a new gun shop not too far away. 1894 in 44 mag. very nice, action smooth and slick. blue was nice on whole gun and walnut was nice also great fit and finish with $1000 price tag. seems every bit as good as old jm marlins

r80rt
02-18-2024, 07:26 PM
I agree, these are the best Marlins ever produced. I bought a new 1894 in .357 and took it home for a good look and try out. Went back the next day and bought another one.

6thtexas
03-23-2024, 04:41 PM
I just got a 44 mag. this morning. Academy had one in stock for $999. 1/20" twist, conventional rifling, and it slugged out at .4296". I won't be able to shoot it for a couple of days, but it will feed a Magnum case with a 429421 crimped in the crimp groove. It also feeds a WC round at 1.542" OAL. Wood to metal fit is great and I like how they relieved the wood just a tiny bit behind the top tang to prevent cracks due to recoil. The action is/was a bit stiff, but I took it apart, cleaned it, and lubed it properly and it is a lot better. The wood is better than any I ever saw on an older Marlin. The forearm is slimmer than the old Marlin .44 and the gun just seems to handle a bit more "livelier" ) for lack of a better term) than the older .44s. If this shoots as good as it looks I'm in love!

6thtexas
03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
I might add, that if this .44 shoots well, I may just sell my older 336s in 30/30 and .35 to someone who likes the "JM" mark and replace them with "Ruglins".

NWPilgrim
03-23-2024, 06:49 PM
What is the twist rate? I don’t understand why most rifle makers give their carbines much slower rifling twist than .44 mag revolvers. I hope Ruger has corrected this in the new Marlins. I have one of the early Remlins but thankfully it is well made and shoots great. Interested to see how these newest ones are finished and shoot.

Hillbillyhunter
04-18-2024, 09:36 PM
Ruglin, I like that. The new Ruger produced Marlins are a sight better than the Remlins, but I like my Marlins with a JM stamp and no crossbolt safety.

scattershot
04-18-2024, 10:55 PM
I was just given one by my (now favorite) niece. A .357 carbine.Beautiful rifle, with a good trigger. The only negative I have is that the loading gate is sprung like a bear trap, and the edges of the loading port are sharp. Both easy fixes. I think I’m really gonna love this rifle.

1895gunner
05-14-2024, 07:03 PM
I have been testing and reviewing each of the new Marlin's as they come off the production lines. I currently have the new 336 Trapper, 1894 SBL and the new .45-70 Trapper with Magpul stocks is on the way. I test them and then publish reviews. I have bought nearly each rifle I tested because they have been top quality. I've been a JM Marlin man for many, many years and I have to say the quality, accuracy & reliability on these new Ruger built Marlins is top notch.