PDA

View Full Version : Animal Quirks

Polymath
01-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Here is something cool you don't see everyday. Forgot where I found this originally. Enjoy.
https://www.upworthy.com/moose-shedding-antlers-caught-on-film

Rapier
01-21-2023, 02:40 PM
We own a planted pine tree farm with harwoods that the squirrels, we have 3 species, help us plant. We have two ponds., with rolling hills.

We had a family of Muscovy Ducks move onto the upper pond. They are an interesting duck. The eat anything that does not eat them first, no teeth or quack, they do not mess outside the pond and love alge and pond grass. They are naturally a tree dwelling duck with prehensile claws, four per foot. They keep a pond cleaned up. they are not afraid of anything I watched a male Muscovy take on an adult coyote. Coyote thought he was going to eat a duck, until the duck got him, then the coyote could not turn loose of the duck. Coyote started rolling around withe duck attached to his belly by 8 claws 1 1/2 inches long. Once the coyote disengaged, I shot him out the back screen door. That was an interesting engagement, a 35 pound coyote VS a 35 pound duck.

waksupi
01-22-2023, 12:01 PM
We own a planted pine tree farm with harwoods that the squirrels, we have 3 species, help us plant. We have two ponds., with rolling hills.

We had a family of Muscovy Ducks move onto the upper pond. They are an interesting duck. The eat anything that does not eat them first, no teeth or quack, they do not mess outside the pond and love alge and pond grass. They are naturally a tree dwelling duck with prehensile claws, four per foot. They keep a pond cleaned up. they are not afraid of anything I watched a male Muscovy take on an adult coyote. Coyote thought he was going to eat a duck, until the duck got him, then the coyote could not turn loose of the duck. Coyote started rolling around withe duck attached to his belly by 8 claws 1 1/2 inches long. Once the coyote disengaged, I shot him out the back screen door. That was an interesting engagement, a 35 pound coyote VS a 35 pound duck.

That reminds me of a friend who used to do primitive technology demonstrations. He told of using a duck decoy made from cattails, and sneaking up on a duck in the water. He said when he grabbed the duck, he discovered that ducks have fangs and claws!

jonp
01-22-2023, 03:28 PM
Here is something cool you don't see everyday. Forgot where I found this originally. Enjoy.
https://www.upworthy.com/moose-shedding-antlers-caught-on-film

Wife saw this yesterday. As a Wildlife Biologist from many years past i knew about blood flow stopping etc but always thought Whitetails and Moose used branches, alders etc to whack them against. Never knew they just shaked their head. I love learning new things