PDA

View Full Version : Outpost75 ruger security six question?

dogdoc
01-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Outpost75 or anybody that has knowledge on ruger security six. I have a late production security six that has a gas ring on the cylinder and therefore has a small flat filed at 6:00 . Have you any problems with cracked forcing cones like the smith model 19?
I notice the barrel breech does not protrude near as much from the frame as on a smith 19. I have not seen any examples of this on the rugers. My earlier security six’s have no gas ring hence no flat at 6:00.

Thanks

Dogdoc

Electrod47
01-21-2023, 01:43 PM
Barrel length? Stainless or Blue? Just curious.

tja6435
01-21-2023, 01:44 PM
Watching to see Outpost’s input on this

dogdoc
01-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Late production 4 inch stainless with heavy barrel. I read some law enforcement contracts required the gas ring coming off the cylinder. I have several of the earlier ones without.

Jtarm
01-21-2023, 05:37 PM
Late production 4 inch stainless with heavy barrel. I read some law enforcement contracts required the gas ring coming off the cylinder. I have several of the earlier ones without.

IIRC, that was to accommodate the FBI load, which was pretty dirty, and the cut forcing cone only in .38s.

Used to have a link to an article on it.

Yep, here it is, about halfway down:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/Revisiting%20The%20Double-End%20Wadcutter%20and%20the%20FBI%20Load.htm

dogdoc
01-21-2023, 08:40 PM
IIRC, that was to accommodate the FBI load, which was pretty dirty, and the cut forcing cone only in .38s.

Used to have a link to an article on it.

Yep, here it is, about halfway down:

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/Revisiting%20The%20Double-End%20Wadcutter%20and%20the%20FBI%20Load.htm

Thank you for that but I think mr Harris may be wrong on this one as my revolver is clearly a 357 magnum. He states that the hubbed cylinder design was ONLY use in cylinders chambered is 38 special. This is not the case as I have one to prove it. I see pictures all over the internet of Smith model 19s with cracked forcing cones but none of Ruger security sixes with the issue. I think the internet greatly overstates the problem in k frame smiths as in reality it is not common. My model 66 from about 1983 has had the snot shot out of it with all kind of handloads by me for the last 40 years . There is minimal forcing cone wear. The breach on the k frame Smiths extends a good further than the rugers so there is a good bit more metal removed which, I suspect makes them a bit weaker.