Johnch
01-19-2023, 11:51 AM
I have 3 brass tumblers
2 are the Lyman 1200 that I have had for 20+ years
The other is the large Dillon CV-2001 Tumbler I got used a few years ago

So it is not like I HAVE to get a Ultra Sonic case cleaner

But I am interested in also getting a Ultra Sonic cleaner
For both small batches of brass
But also gun parts as I just got 2 older used pistols with 30 years of dried grease from my dad
So I figured I might be able to use a Ultra Sonic cleaner for both jobs and save a LOT of time

Is there a Ultra Sonic cleaner that is BOTH
Good quality and a decent price ?

Thanks
John

PJEagle
01-19-2023, 12:41 PM
I have used 3 RCBS ultrasonic cleaners in the past three years. The electronics failed on each one within a year. Usually the heater fails first. I really like an ultrasonic cleaner for firearms and firearm parts. I was not impressed with them for brass cleaning. I much prefer wet tumbling with stainless steel pins for brass.

hc18flyer
01-19-2023, 12:46 PM
I have had a smaller Lyman for several years. I usually deprive my brass and run it thru the Ultrasonic. Brass then ges in the tumbler to shine it up. My Lyman continues to work well. hc18flyer

BLAHUT
01-19-2023, 12:47 PM
They work good on some parts, and not so good on others. Simple green and let soak, works great on dried grease or cosmiline.
For Brass, tumble with SS pins, simple green, lemi shine, then in corn with brass polish.

rockrat
01-19-2023, 01:22 PM
No luck with cleaning brass with ultrasonic. Haven't tried gun parts yet.

Winger Ed.
01-19-2023, 03:20 PM
I don't use one for gun stuff, but a jewelry buddy told me if you put your part in a glass jar and it's under the solution,
it make the harmonics of it concentrate and it works better & faster.

farmerjim
01-19-2023, 05:10 PM
I have the HF one. It is not a commercial grade, But it does work for cleaning brass and parts. It probably takes longer, but I have been using this one for about 18 years and cleaned over 20,000 cases. It works great with a little citric acid and dish soap. It takes about 10 minutes per load.

Mr Peabody
01-19-2023, 05:46 PM
I've got the Harbor Freight model, it cleans gun parts nicely

country gent
01-19-2023, 05:59 PM
I have a 6 gallon vevor ultra sonic cleaner in the shop, I use simple green precision cleaner in it mixed 10-1. Works great on tooling and parts. Havent tried it on cases yet. One thing with small batches or parts is to put plain water i the cleaner and the parts solvent in plastic jar, works great and saves on solvent.

Bmi48219
01-19-2023, 07:25 PM
I've got the Harbor Freight model, it cleans gun parts nicely

I went to the range last weekend with the wife’s friend’s husband. He’s just getting into shooting again and has purchased several revolvers from a pawn shop. They all look good but every one has a carbon ring in the cylinders, bad enough to make loading them difficult. Has anyone had success removing carbon fouling from cylinders with an ultra sonic cleaner?
I bought a HF model for the wife to clean jewelry in. It works good for that.

Winger Ed.
01-19-2023, 07:38 PM
Has anyone had success removing carbon fouling from cylinders with an ultra sonic cleaner?

I've had good luck with leaving a wet Hoppe's patch in them for a day or so, then a bore brush knocked 'em right out.

45_Colt
01-20-2023, 08:35 AM
...several revolvers from a pawn shop. They all look good but every one has a carbon ring in the cylinders, bad enough to make loading them difficult.

Use BoreTech's C4 Carbon remover. Stuff the chambers with paper towel pieces, dribble in some C4, leave soak for 15 - 20 minutes. Push out the paper, patch it with some more C4, done.

Don't know what is in the stuff, but it flat out works.

45_Colt

Bmi48219
01-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Does C-4 damage the finish?

45_Colt
01-20-2023, 06:19 PM
Does C-4 damage the finish?

Bluing, no; stocks, no/possibly; nickel plating, yes. See the FAQ at their product page, they cover it there:

https://www.boretech.com/products/c4-carbon-remover

45_Colt

popper
01-20-2023, 06:33 PM
I have the Hornady unit sitting on the shelf. It will clean brass but does a poor job of primer pockets. Too small for a slide or bolt. Means you have to disassemble. Hard carbon , probably not, just greasy dirty stuff. I did try the HF unit, worse than Hornady. It went back.

Johnch
01-20-2023, 06:47 PM
Thanks
From what I have read
I guess I will pass on getting a Ultra Sonic cleaner

I took the S&W 10 apart today and it is soaking

Thanks
John

BLAHUT
01-20-2023, 08:39 PM
I don't use one for gun stuff, but a jewelry buddy told me if you put your part in a glass jar and it's under the solution,
it make the harmonics of it concentrate and it works better & faster.

I have put small parts in a jar ( plastic or glass ) and put in the vibrator with the corn, worked great. Have also done that with molly and bullets.

Winger Ed.
01-20-2023, 08:57 PM
I took the S&W 10 apart today and it is soaking

I've had good luck doing that and scrubbing with a tooth brush and piece of blue jean cloth.