PDA

View Full Version : My 303's look bent !

superior
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
:( Last night I loaded up 10 rounds of 303 brit with my new Deluxe die set and factory crimp die. I used some lee ctl312-160's that I already had gas checks on. I think these boolits are too short because some of them appear to be off center now and only a tiny portion of the boolit is in the case. I have the bullet about 2 thousandths off the barrel lands. The dead length sizer die felt ok as I used it but I wouldn't really know what to feel for, as that was the first time using one. Anyway, I think the cause is the boolits are too short? Any advice will be immediately considered. I was thinking that after I factory-crimped them, maybe they would straighten out but no luck. I will be test firing them when I get off today. The ones that look slightly bent still look ok to fire.
They are sitting on 16.5 grains of 2400-once fired neck sized Federal cases-cci large rifle primers. I think the 312-160's will be dedicated to my 7.62x39 but if I can get them to work in the 18.5" bbl Enfield, that sure will be a bonus.:Fire:

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Superior, can you post pic's? It sound to me that your boolits are not seated deep enough in the case. The dead length die needs to be adjusted, as there is no 'factory' setting; it just sets a uniform depth. Where exactly is the 'crimp'? I'll bet it's near the bottom!

docone31
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I cannot use anything that small in my .303. Even with the 185gn missle, it still has jump. I do ok with the 185, but my 160 is a joke. More for the 7.62 X 39.
I seat them where they are secure, jump or no jump. I also paper patch the .303 with good results with the 185gner. There is jump.

superior
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I've tried to post pics here and I haven't figured out how to make it work. Yes gunnerd, the crimp is towards the bottom of the boolit. There is an adjustment on the seater die, though.
The top of the die die has a ring you turn which lowers the seater it seems. I first ran a dummy cartridge with a non-gaschecked boolit into the rifle's chamber and closed the bolt. That's where I got my OAL and then I seated the boolits .002 deeper than that. That's why I think the boolits are too short for that type of seating. I want to seat them just off the lands but it looks like I'm going to have to compromise and seat them deeper with the 160's. I'm sure that will correct the runout problem. Whaddaya think?

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Superior, the ring on the die does set depth of the die in your press. The die itself has a knurled knob on top that screws in and out. Use that to set boolit depth. If you are concerned about OAL, I have no answers, sorry. I seat to crimp groove, and have done with it. I don't know about 'jump' in my .303's, I can't tell, either way. Getting pic's to attach can be frustrating!

superior
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Ok, the knurled knob is what I was referring to when I said ring. After I fire these 10 rounds off today, I'll reload them seated to the crimp groove. Hopefully they will do ok for the 100 round target shooting I plan to do. If not,I'm getting ready to order a 200grain or more elk load mold anyway so I'll just use those boolits for target shooting instead of the 160's.

docone31
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
If you want a whiz-bang-Hairy Wally load, try paper patching those rounds.
I size mine to .308, two wraps of notebook, or computer paper, size to .314 and its off to the races.
Full tilt loads with lead and paper!
My Smelly is a tack driver these days.
A real tack driver.

Ricochet
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Having "jump" to the rifling is no problem if the boolit stays aligned straight with the rifling. I have a .300 Weatherby that shoots both jacketed and cast very well with about 3/8" freebore. Revolvers have been shooting with similar amounts of "jump" for a long time. A boolit that's not seated deeply enough into the case to hold it straight is a problem.

JeffinNZ
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Having "jump" to the rifling is no problem if the boolit stays aligned straight with the rifling. I have a .300 Weatherby that shoots both jacketed and cast very well with about 3/8" freebore. Revolvers have been shooting with similar amounts of "jump" for a long time. A boolit that's not seated deeply enough into the case to hold it straight is a problem.

I concur Ricochet. This is where throat fitting really pays off.

mrbill2
02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
If your problem is bullet runout after loading, check to make sure the bullets are round.
Mr. Bill

Ricochet
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Runout's another matter. If his rounds look "bent," the boolits are cocked in the cases. Or actually bent, less likely.

superior
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
They are definitely cocked in the case. These same boolits are extremely accurate when loaded in my sks paratrooper. Of course they are seated correctly in the 7.62x39's.

jdgabbard
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
You know. If I remember correctly, I bought some factory loaded (think Remm) that every round in the box looked bent. All of it shot ok. Maybe the brass was turned a bit funny? Do they seat in the chamber flush?