PDA

View Full Version : Primers..

ROCKET
01-17-2023, 05:29 AM
Why are primers so high now? Are those prices here to stay?
They almost tripled since I got them last

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ukrifleman
01-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Here in the UK, we have seen prices for components skyrocket over the last few years.

5 years ago, CCI200 LR primers were £19/1000, they now retail at £99/1000!

Check out component prices at one of our main UK firearms suppliers

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/primers/large-rifle-primers/

ukrifleman.

dale2242
01-17-2023, 09:00 AM
I just looked over the Henrykrank website.
Wow, you Brits are really paying to load.
And I thought our prices were high.

murf205
01-17-2023, 10:42 AM

The ammo manufacturers are making loaded ammo with them. The industry has always placed us hand loaders on the hind tit! There were some pretty solid rumors at one time that a company in Tx was going to renovate an old US military facility and manufacture primers but, so far, none have hit the market that I am aware of. CCI says they are working around the clock but the demand is just huge, especially with a whole new generation of hand loaders. Every time the political wind changes direction, the demand soars. Prices?? It would take a glut of primers to lower prices and only heaven knows what the future is.

jdgabbard
01-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Here in the UK, we have seen prices for components skyrocket over the last few years.

5 years ago, CCI200 LR primers were £19/1000, they now retail at £99/1000!

Check out component prices at one of our main UK firearms suppliers

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/primers/large-rifle-primers/

ukrifleman.

Wow, it actually sounds like primers might be cheaper in the UK than they are here in the states. IF you can find them right now I'm seeing them go for about $150 USD/1000. There were a few going for around $80/1000 for no-name brands, but those dried up as well. I miss the days of $5/1000 Wolf Primers.

To answer the OP's question, we're in the middle of the 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th Freak-Out-Panic-Buying event over the last 15 years or so. The ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand for ammo. Primers on the other hand have always been an overflow product. Read that as, they put left over primers on the market. So loaded ammo is always the priority. Right now there just simply isn't enough ammo to meet the demand. Until there is, no primers - or at least very few primers.

racepres
01-17-2023, 11:56 AM
Wow, it actually sounds like primers might be cheaper in the UK than they are here in the states. IF you can find them right now I'm seeing them go for about $150 USD/1000. There were a few going for around $80/1000 for no-name brands, but those dried up as well. I miss the days of $5/1000 Wolf Primers.

To answer the OP's question, we're in the middle of the 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th Freak-Out-Panic-Buying event over the last 15 years or so. The ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand for ammo. Primers on the other hand have always been an overflow product. Read that as, they put left over primers on the market. So loaded ammo is always the priority. Right now there just simply isn't enough ammo to meet the demand. Until there is, no primers - or at least very few primers.
Recent gun show had Primers.. I was only wanting small pistol...so observed CCI for $100.00 a Thousand...I won't contribute to that B.S. so....Waiting!!!
If I do get "needy"....gonna go to LGS because they have the same...but of course have overhead, and I wish them to be there Next year as well!!!!

jdgabbard
01-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Recent gun show had Primers.. I was only wanting small pistol...so observed CCI for $100.00 a Thousand...I won't contribute to that B.S. so....Waiting!!!
If I do get "needy"....gonna go to LGS because they have the same...but of course have overhead, and I wish them to be there Next year as well!!!!

Yeah, I won't spend that much on primers either. I'll make my own before I allow the manufacturers to charge that. Besides, I still have about 5k of each size in my powder closet. I'm in no rush to buy more, as I typically shoot twice a month at a few boxes each session. And sometimes I'm lazy and buy FMJ ammo before I go (such as with my AR9). I'm set for a while.

TNsailorman
01-17-2023, 12:46 PM
The government has awarded huge ammo contracts for military and federal law inforcement agencies as I understand it. That itself makes for primer shortages but also there is the "panic" buying going on the last few years. I haven't fired a centerfire rifle or pistol in 2 years now and I probably won't shoot much this year although I do have 2 rifles to sight in. I have gone to air rifles and will continue my "practicing" with both rifle and pistol air guns until sanity returns (if it ever does). Air and pellets are cheap compared to primers, powder and bullets, not to mention brass. I know one individual who bought 75000 small pistol primers before the last presidental election because of fear as to what the demorats might do when they took office and he was anticipating the run on primers. my take anyway, james

racepres
01-17-2023, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I won't spend that much on primers either. I'll make my own before I allow the manufacturers to charge that. Besides, I still have about 5k of each size in my powder closet. I'm in no rush to buy more, as I typically shoot twice a month at a few boxes each session. And sometimes I'm lazy and buy FMJ ammo before I go (such as with my AR9). I'm set for a while.
I'm jealous... since I have Not changed any of my routines (in fact threw one big ass Party back at first epidemic panic) I have just run dry of Small Pistol primers.. I will be OK tho.. gots Large Rifle and Pistol..certainly Not 5k ea...as I will Never be that Skeert..
If I get in a Bind, I have close friends that will help out..
TN,SM...I still have air powered Guns...and the one Pistol shoots really amazing for what it is.. Not a Toy!!

Point is, They are becoming available...at a Premium just now...and I for one believe that this too will pass....tho I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to 25$!!!!

jdgabbard
01-17-2023, 01:56 PM
I'm jealous... since I have Not changed any of my routines (in fact threw one big ass Party back at first epidemic panic) I have just run dry of Small Pistol primers.. I will be OK tho.. gots Large Rifle and Pistol..certainly Not 5k ea...as I will Never be that Skeert..
TN,SM...I still have air powered Guns...and the one Pistol shoots really amazing for what it is.. Not a Toy!!

Point is, They are becoming available...at a Premium just now...and I for one believe that this too will pass....tho I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to 25$!!!!

Well, keep in mind I bought those a decade ago when Wolf Primers were on sale for like $5 a brick. I think my entire powder valley order probably seemed ridiculous to most people. But I haven't wanted for primers for a long long time.

fredj338
01-17-2023, 02:06 PM
SOme local shops are selling limited daily quantity of primers at $5-$6 per 100. High but not terrible. I suspect primer prices to stay high until ammo market is saturated. We are seeing 9mm ammo come down, good sign, but until we see all ammo drop in price, primers will be slow to come down. I think the new normal when it does happen will be $50-$60/1000. Ole Joe inflation will guarantee that.

fredj338
01-17-2023, 02:07 PM
Well, keep in mind I bought those a decade ago when Wolf Primers were on sale for like $5 a brick. I think my entire powder valley order probably seemed ridiculous to most people. But I haven't wanted for primers for a long long time.

I think that was more than 10y ago, more like late 90s. I bought primers locally in the late 90s for $10. Still using primers from about 10y ago, not anywhere close to that price.

MUSTANG
01-17-2023, 03:06 PM
SOme local shops are selling limited daily quantity of primers at $5-$6 per 100. High but not terrible. I suspect primer prices to stay high until ammo market is saturated. We are seeing 9mm ammo come down, good sign, but until we see all ammo drop in price, primers will be slow to come down. I think the new normal when it does happen will be $50-$60/1000. Ole Joe inflation will guarantee that.

I received an ad for .223 by PMC for $9.49 per 20 today. Looking forward to the "Big Boys" in manufacturing and Distribution recognizing the market is saturated - and if they want to keep sales up they need to start reducing Powder Costs (Saw another ad for 5744 powder at $68.00 per pound yesterday!!) and Primer Costs in order to keep production at a steady rate. Looking forward to "Primer Over Runs" for Large Rifle and Large Pistol (more difficult since most military/police sales are for 9mm).

Prices will begin to diminish over next 2 years slightly; but will need the current White House Administration (and any replacements for Biden when he is ousted for senility) to be gone before we see significant reductions.

makeurownfun
01-17-2023, 03:12 PM

When was the last time you got them? Because the world flipped upside down 3 years ago...
Its been going on for a long time now

almar
01-17-2023, 04:09 PM
Been making my own non corrosive, lead free and non toxic as powerful as any commercial primer. I think at about 3$/1000....it's a pain to make them but no more than casting or reloading..

charlie b
01-17-2023, 04:23 PM
Yep, I have the components to 'reload' some but haven't done it yet. I may end up that route if I can't find Large Rifle anymore.

The Cabela's around here have a lot of small rifle and small pistol primers. Last time I went I got 1000 CCI SR magnum for $80. SR BR were over $100 ($109 I think). That is just a bit over double what they were before COVID. That's less than the rise in beef prices.

jdgabbard
01-17-2023, 04:32 PM
I think that was more than 10y ago, more like late 90s. I bought primers locally in the late 90s for $10. Still using primers from about 10y ago, not anywhere close to that price.

Fred, I can assure you it wasn't more than 15 years ago. Definitely not the 90s, but MAYBE really late 2000s, like 2008-2009. But I seem to remember that I ordered them closer to 2012-2013. And I had ordered them directly from Powder Valley. But I also can remember the days of $50-70 cases of Russian ammo. And also the SKSs that got shipped with a free case of Russian ammo.... Man, those were the good 'ole days....

BLAHUT
01-17-2023, 04:55 PM
Making my own LR mag primer sounds very interesting, where do I get info on doing that ??? PM me if you like with that info ??

fredj338
01-17-2023, 05:10 PM
I received an ad for .223 by PMC for $9.49 per 20 today. Looking forward to the "Big Boys" in manufacturing and Distribution recognizing the market is saturated - and if they want to keep sales up they need to start reducing Powder Costs (Saw another ad for 5744 powder at $68.00 per pound yesterday!!) and Primer Costs in order to keep production at a steady rate. Looking forward to "Primer Over Runs" for Large Rifle and Large Pistol (more difficult since most military/police sales are for 9mm).

Prices will begin to diminish over next 2 years slightly; but will need the current White House Administration (and any replacements for Biden when he is ousted for senility) to be gone before we see significant reductions.

Ammo manuf for the most part do not use canister powders reloaders use. They order 55gal drums from the powder manuf, often slightly diff than canister stuff. I think the industry has figures out keeping the supply thin means keeping prices up.

fredj338
01-17-2023, 05:12 PM
Fred, I can assure you it wasn't more than 15 years ago. Definitely not the 90s, but MAYBE really late 2000s, like 2008-2009. But I seem to remember that I ordered them closer to 2012-2013. And I had ordered them directly from Powder Valley. But I also can remember the days of $50-70 cases of Russian ammo. And also the SKSs that got shipped with a free case of Russian ammo.... Man, those were the good 'ole days....
Some of us ordered like 120K Wolf from PV about 2002-03, about $8-9/1000 if I remember. Fortunately, I only went in for couple thousand. THe QC was terrible, never buy Russian anything.
My last real primer purchase was pre covid, late 2019. For Win, $28/1000 delivered to me. We bought like 100K to thin out the HM&SH. I wish I would have bought more than the 10K small pistol though, who knew.

jdgabbard
01-17-2023, 05:22 PM
Some of us ordered like 120K Wolf from PV about 2002-03, about $8-9/1000 if I remember. Fortunately, I only went in for couple thousand. THe QC was terrible, never buy Russian anything.
My last real primer purchase was pre covid, late 2019. For Win, $28/1000 delivered to me. We bought like 100K to thin out the HM&SH. I wish I would have bought more than the 10K small pistol though, who knew.

The ones I bought haven't had a single issue. The primer cups are a little stiffer. But assuming I'm not working with cases that were previously crimped I don't have any issues. But I had heard that some of the earlier wolf primers had issues with contaminated priming compound that sometimes wouldn't ignite. I believe that's what the consensus was.... Either way, any time I've had an issue with Wolf Primers it was a problem that I created myself by not paying attention to detail.

fredj338
01-17-2023, 08:04 PM
The ones I bought haven't had a single issue. The primer cups are a little stiffer. But assuming I'm not working with cases that were previously crimped I don't have any issues. But I had heard that some of the earlier wolf primers had issues with contaminated priming compound that sometimes wouldn't ignite. I believe that's what the consensus was.... Either way, any time I've had an issue with Wolf Primers it was a problem that I created myself by not paying attention to detail.

Yes, poor compound, no compound or no anvil. IF I did not check every primer going into the case, I could expect 10% failures. I dont get 1/2% with US primers. Friends dont let friends buy Russian poop. If I could find Wolf/Tula today cheap, I would buy them & trade them 2-1 for US primers.

charlie b
01-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Making my own LR mag primer sounds very interesting, where do I get info on doing that ??? PM me if you like with that info ??

https://22lrreloader.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

15meter
01-17-2023, 11:14 PM
And one of the things people forget is one of the major suppliers of loaded ammo and reloading bullets, brass and primers closed their doors.

How long was that factory shuttered during bankruptcy?

Loaded ammo is filling up the shelves around here and the prices are coming down.

Primers and powder that was non-existent on retailers shelves 18 months ago are filling back up with no limits. Primers are in the $80-100/1000 range. Down from the $12-15/100 and only 100 primers at a time this time last year.

As Remington comes back on line and reloaders get confident in their stashes, I suspect the prices will continue to slide.

Sig556r
01-17-2023, 11:50 PM
Academy in my neck of the woods have WSP for $7.99/100…no limit

Dahak
01-17-2023, 11:54 PM
My local big box is selling CCI SPP for $5.54/100 - limit 2. Sporadic availability, but it gives me a good feeling that the new normal will settle closer to $50 than $90 per brick.

jdgabbard
01-18-2023, 01:30 AM
Yes, poor compound, no compound or no anvil. IF I did not check every primer going into the case, I could expect 10% failures. I dont get 1/2% with US primers. Friends dont let friends buy Russian poop. If I could find Wolf/Tula today cheap, I would buy them & trade them 2-1 for US primers.

Like I said, I never had a problem with them. I actually have gotten to the point where I prefer them over others such as CCI and Federal. But, as I mentioned before, I think they ironed out some of the issues by the time I bought these. But they're all gone from the market now. So maybe some of those south american brands will start shipping good, and cheap, primers. There is a market for them even after the major brands get their stock back on shelves.

jdgabbard
01-18-2023, 01:40 AM
Dahak, that gives me a little hope. While I have a variety to chose from (picture is of some of the various brands I have, and that's just a peek for demonstration), I would like to build up a much larger stock. I have a feeling the next decade is going to be particularly chaotic. So if I can fill up the powder closet now I can probably go on shooting for several more decades, which is probably all I'll last anyways. If you guys hear of some crazy estate sale 20-30 years from now where some crazy old guy had horded several hundred thousand primers, you're welcome.... :veryconfu

lead4me
01-18-2023, 05:20 AM

If you get needy on those SPP hit me up. I'll trade 1 for 1 for LRP I'm running short on those. I'm near Ann Arbor and have 1 or 2 k to trade.

fredj338
01-18-2023, 03:45 PM
My primer supply is adequate but I am getting nervous because I thought this would be over after the pandemic & rem coming back online. I think the industry has adjusted & dont really care about the reloader unless it is to sell over runs on their components. We shall see if it gets better as we head into recession, but no, you wont see $30 primers again imo.

hoodat
01-18-2023, 03:58 PM
So last night I popped into Sportsman's Warehouse, and HOLY SMOKES!! They were stocking bullets, powder, and primers. They only had one pound of Varget for 85 bucks, and the rest of the powder was around $35. Primers $5.50/hundred with 200 limit.

Most of the powders were Winchester that I'm not too familiar with, (but gonna get that way) . Also Accurate, and Vitavori.

I'm thinking that prices aren't gonna go much below this level -- maybe powder around $30/lb -- primers around 4 or 5 cents each.

I don't think gas will ever go much lower either. :neutral: jd

charlie b
01-18-2023, 04:26 PM
Prices won't drop much. If anything they will go up a bit more unless the overall inflation is not halted.

racepres
01-18-2023, 08:23 PM
If you get needy on those SPP hit me up. I'll trade 1 for 1 for LRP I'm running short on those. I'm near Ann Arbor and have 1 or 2 k to trade.

I will get with you when/if I get to your neighborhood....Thanks!! Appreciate it..

barnetmill
01-19-2023, 01:18 AM
The ammo manufacturers are making loaded ammo with them. The industry has always placed us hand loaders on the hind tit! There were some pretty solid rumors at one time that a company in Tx was going to renovate an old US military facility and manufacture primers but, so far, none have hit the market that I am aware of. CCI says they are working around the clock but the demand is just huge, especially with a whole new generation of hand loaders. Every time the political wind changes direction, the demand soars. Prices?? It would take a glut of primers to lower prices and only heaven knows what the future is.

The latest forecast for expansion industry last november I think said may they hoped to be putting out primers by March. I certainly hope all is well with their venture.
There website for ammo. I can not find any recent updates for primers. https://www.expansion-ammunition.com/

Posted November 2, 2022 https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/340730-expansion-industries-primer-production-update/

Some of the guys on another forum signed up for emails from Expansion Industries. This received this on October 10th.:

We are looking forward to starting production over the coming month and shipping on a limited basis.
You will likely see them being offered retail before the end of the first quarter 2023...
Thank you,
Rich Jarvis
Expansion Ammunition Sales
Cell 214.608.5651
www.expansion-ammunition.com

AP30N
01-19-2023, 02:53 AM
We have it pretty bad down under too. Federal small pistol) are AUD$200/1000, considering it's 1USD to 1.45AUD, it's pretty bad. I am a revolver shooter so there is no other option than using Federal on a tuned gun. However Fiocci are only 145/1500 and S&B about 100/1000. I can also get Russian primers for $120/1000 (these are old stock from 2010, importation has been banned since 2014 due to Ukraine invasion. I ended up hoarding whatever supply of Small rifle primers to run my pistols. We don't have semi-auto 223s here and 223 ammo is cheap enough so the biggest use is for 22 hornet and stock availability was good until all the pistol shooters got desperate enough to buy SRP. I caught on early and get 35k SRP when they were still $80/1000.

If primers are bad, powder is worse! Our home grown ADI plant has upgraded and couldn't optimise the new equipment to make pistol powder yet. And they couldn't keep up with the rifle powder demand around the world so it's not profitable to do anymore R&D on pistol powder. If you shoot cast boolits, you are pretty stuffed too. Some shooters are now trying to make a quick buck and start to sell Trailboss for $1000/1500g, and people would buy it. A few are now resorting to cutting 12ga shells to get powder, they are still cheapish @ 100/250 and each shell contains 22-25 gr of very fast powder. Considering many only stick 2gr of it in a 38 target load, shell cutting is actually worthwhile.... But it's sad

tmag97
01-19-2023, 02:59 AM
Paid $83 bucks this weekend for cci 500 spp

tmag97
01-19-2023, 03:01 AM
They had several sizes of cci primers and some federal gmm for $119

LAH
01-19-2023, 12:04 PM
Like I said, I never had a problem with them. I actually have gotten to the point where I prefer them over others such as CCI and Federal. But, as I mentioned before, I think they ironed out some of the issues by the time I bought these. But they're all gone from the market now. So maybe some of those south american brands will start shipping good, and cheap, primers. There is a market for them even after the major brands get their stock back on shelves.

Went through several sleeves of Wolf primers. Never a problem other than they can be a little tight in some pockets.

jdgabbard
01-19-2023, 12:53 PM
Went through several sleeves of Wolf primers. Never a problem other than they can be a little tight in some pockets.

You know, I initially thought the same. But then I swapped out my Lee priming arm (the metal one in the ram) one day for one I had from a different press and I no longer had issues. My guess was that the ram prime was slightly out of square with that arm. And the new one has work flawlessly ever since.

Chief TC
01-19-2023, 12:54 PM
So last night I popped into Sportsman's Warehouse, and HOLY SMOKES!! They were stocking bullets, powder, and primers. They only had one pound of Varget for 85 bucks, and the rest of the powder was around $35. Primers $5.50/hundred with 200 limit.

Most of the powders were Winchester that I'm not too familiar with, (but gonna get that way) . Also Accurate, and Vitavori.

I'm thinking that prices aren't gonna go much below this level -- maybe powder around $30/lb -- primers around 4 or 5 cents each.

I don't think gas will ever go much lower either. :neutral: jd

Wow. Varget for 85? They are doing some serious price gouging. Cabela's and powdervalleyinc pretty much have the common powders and at decent prices. Just got Varget for 45. Swiss 1.5 for 30. I am pretty rural out on the Oregon coast, so have not found anyone with primers and can't find any online. Guess you got to hit it just right.

Rich/WIS
01-19-2023, 01:59 PM
One issue with primer availability haven't seen mentioned is the increase in the number of cartridges now being loaded. Looking at an old edition of Cartridges of the World versus the newest there has been a massive increase in numbers. The old edition from the late nineties had about 80 listed under currently loaded, the new one has about 140. That is a 75% increase, and the primers that were sold to reloaders are now going into factory ammo. To keep the primer flow going to both would have required a 75% increase in primer production. This is not a precise evaluation as production figures would have changed between quantities made by caliber since then as well as whether small or large primers were used but is indicative of a major change in primer and powder demand, and allocation by the ammo makers. Considering that the 2+ million guns sold to new gun owners were likely handguns, and probably mostly 9mm and 380, even if the new owners only bought one box of ammo that is roughly 100 million primers. Haven't seen anything to indicate that the major ammo manufacturers increased primer production by 100 million.

LAH
01-19-2023, 04:28 PM
Plenty of primers on GB.

ioon44
01-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Academy in my neck of the woods had WMSRL for $8.99/100…no limit so I bought the last 10 boxes.

TXTad
01-19-2023, 06:51 PM

Same here. The last time I bought primers was right before the Obama panic. I had almost always bought locally, and would just grab a brick or two when I happened to be at one of the local stores. Then the small guys went out of business and Sportsman's Warehouse was the only walk-in place where I live in North Texas. I never went much, but I'd make a special trip every now and again to grab some stuff, but then the Obama panic hit and they simply quit having them.

When availability was good again before 2020, I wasn't focused on shooting. I was just starting to get back into things and was starting to buy again in late 2019 and then 2020 happened. Dangit.

The next time that primers are available at reasonable prices, if that ever happens again, I'm going to buy enough to last the rest of my life and a bit more. Someday somebody will get a good deal at my estate sale, but before that, I'll have what I need.

nagantino
01-19-2023, 07:37 PM
I think that Eastern European manufacturers are going to become a major supplier in the coming years..Magtech are still making primers at a reasonable price.

truckerdave397
01-19-2023, 09:39 PM
I could be the grumpy old man that sits here and says everyone should have bought when things were plentiful and cheap. I realize that not everyone could. I was lucky in this respect. So I will just be the grumpy old man that yells at the school kids to get the h off my yard.

15meter
01-20-2023, 09:57 AM
The next time that primers are available at reasonable prices, if that ever happens again, I'm going to buy enough to last the rest of my life and a bit more. Someday somebody will get a good deal at my estate sale, but before that, I'll have what I need.

And this is a large part of the current inventory problem. There are people who are grabbing what ever they can, regardless of price to fill up their basement.

When it was a one or two sleeve per day limit, they were going to the gunshop every day. Didn't matter if they needed the primers.

Reasons were varied, use them as barter goods when the world collapsed, sell at a scalpers profit, convinced martial law was coming and the sale was going to be banned. I heard all those over the last 3 years.

Personally, I was lucky in the 3-4 years prior to election season 2020 I came across a half dozen dead guy sales on craigslist and garage sales and picked up more powder and primers than I will likely use in my lifetime.

And got them for cheaper than free, I've sold off the stuff I had no interest in or use for and made a profit along the way. 2020 and the deals disappeared.

Crazy kind of stuff, there was a flier at one of the gun clubs for a MEC 650 for $100. I ignored it for a couple of months because I didn't think I needed a 4th 12 gauge progressive press. I finally broke down and called the guy.
While I was looking at it, he pulled out 11 pounds of 700x, 50 pounds of 7-1/2's, a 1000 primers(Alcans!), a 1000 wads and a couple of grocery bags with AA once fired hulls.

Yeah, for $100 I bought it. Cleaned up and tuned up the press then put it on craigslist for $150.

Don't see that much anymore. Another 2-3 years and there'll be a fresh wave of dead guy/panic bought stuff coming back on the market.

And during the worst of it I was able to keep multiple buddies shooting, I've sold 10000-12000 primers in the last 12 months to buddies when they ran low at non-scalper prices.

Guys I'd offer a brick to and they only took a half so somebody else could have a some if they needed them.

Quality kind guys.

charlie b
01-20-2023, 10:21 AM
Won't be long before all the 'new' doomers will need some cash and admit they don't want to keep all that reloading stuff that's still in the boxes.

jdgabbard
01-20-2023, 11:58 AM
And this is a large part of the current inventory problem. There are people who are grabbing what ever they can, regardless of price to fill up their basement.

When it was a one or two sleeve per day limit, they were going to the gunshop every day. Didn't matter if they needed the primers.

Reasons were varied, use them as barter goods when the world collapsed, sell at a scalpers profit, convinced martial law was coming and the sale was going to be banned. I heard all those over the last 3 years.

Personally, I was lucky in the 3-4 years prior to election season 2020 I came across a half dozen dead guy sales on craigslist and garage sales and picked up more powder and primers than I will likely use in my lifetime.

And got them for cheaper than free, I've sold off the stuff I had no interest in or use for and made a profit along the way. 2020 and the deals disappeared.

Crazy kind of stuff, there was a flier at one of the gun clubs for a MEC 650 for $100. I ignored it for a couple of months because I didn't think I needed a 4th 12 gauge progressive press. I finally broke down and called the guy.
While I was looking at it, he pulled out 11 pounds of 700x, 50 pounds of 7-1/2's, a 1000 primers(Alcans!), a 1000 wads and a couple of grocery bags with AA once fired hulls.

Yeah, for $100 I bought it. Cleaned up and tuned up the press then put it on craigslist for $150.

Don't see that much anymore. Another 2-3 years and there'll be a fresh wave of dead guy/panic bought stuff coming back on the market.

And during the worst of it I was able to keep multiple buddies shooting, I've sold 10000-12000 primers in the last 12 months to buddies when they ran low at non-scalper prices.

Guys I'd offer a brick to and they only took a half so somebody else could have a some if they needed them.

Quality kind guys.

Just the last three years? I remember back in the 2012 or 2013 scare when Fudds were literally lining up at Walmarts at 3am to buy the new stock as soon as it was put on shelves to turn around and sell to people that truly needed it for 5-6 times as much as they had paid for it. 50rd Boxes of 22lr going for $20-30. Etc...

Honestly, the problem isn't so much shortage as it is the people willing to pay the prices for it. Shortages happens. It's when people give in and pay those prices that we find ourselves in a situation where the price permanently goes up. Which is the reason we're paying $100 today for primers that were $12-25 (depending on Brand) 10 years ago. Ammo companies are still companies. They're there to squeeze every cent of profit they can out of their products. They're not your friends any more than the government is....

P Flados
01-20-2023, 01:56 PM
https://22lrreloader.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

The above is the easy way to get started, but you end up with corrosive primers and their stuff is not ideal for larger volumes.

A little over a year ago, I got started into non-corrosive primer reloading using EPH-2x as prompted by https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?434882-Making-Sparkplugs-My-first-100-primers.

At the time, lots of others were jumping in to the EPH-2x game due to very low availability of commercial primers. Many found it to be too tedious and/or they did not "do what it takes" to get a good product. With commercial primer availability improving, interest in using EPH-2x seems to be dropping off.

Even though it is a bunch of effort, it is not big deal for me as I am retired. I will probably continue using EPH-2x primers for most of my bulk target shooting. I am all set up, the per unit material cost is incredibly low, and my results are very good in guns with a strong firing pin hit.

My lowest stockpile of commercial primers is SPP. I will continue to have enough to us as needed (feed my guns that do not like reloaded primers) for probably another year or two.

I also have plenty of SRP/LPP to use for more serious applications and/or applications where I just want to use commercial stuff.

1hole
01-20-2023, 02:47 PM
I believe plenty of primers ... and bullets and cases and powders too ... are being made. Our supply "problem" is how many people are buying everything they can find for any price they must pay; I'd bet many of them have a 5-10 year supply stashed on their shelves. And many of them are still buying everything they can, just as fast as they can find it before greedy hoarders can get it!

Meaning I believe the reloading market is experiencing the childish, "All this stored stuff I don't really need cost me a lot but I got mine!" syndrome. Thus, the current "shortages" will last as long as eager hoarders still have more money than common sense.

Moral: No one should ever underestimate the selfish purchasing effects of human greed.

(Note: I heard there may soon be another massive shortage of toilet tissue paper. Be sure to fill your critical next 25 year supply of wiping paper right now, while it can still be found for less than a mere $10 per roll! ;))

TXTad
01-20-2023, 03:27 PM

Not really. I used to shoot a lot and buy primers by the brick and even case. I gradually got ahead of my burn and got a supply. They consistently stayed the same reasonable price the entire time I was doing that.

The problem was that I quit replenishing them because I saw that my life was getting busy in other areas and I knew I wouldn't be shooting as much. When there was no place close to simply walk in and buy them, I got lazy. I was starting to get back into shooting and building my stash back up in 2019 but we know what happened next.

The next time primers are at some normalish price, I'll return to my 1990s pace of buying them, but not my 1990s pace of using them. I'm pretty sure that a normal market can handle me doing what I did normally 25 years ago.

If I'm lucky, I'm shooting for another 30 or so years. I won't need more supplies than I have life to use. It should be a relatively easy equation to figure out that that approximately is + 20 or 30%.

LAH
01-20-2023, 05:56 PM
The next time that primers are available at reasonable prices, if that ever happens again, I'm going to buy enough to last the rest of my life and a bit more.

If you love doing something, this is the approach which works.

Seeker
01-20-2023, 06:42 PM
The last time I bought primers I paid $39.00 a thousand. I'm glad I got stocked up on wsr and wlp, although I didn't use a lot of large rifle back then.

Strummer
01-21-2023, 06:30 PM
I paid 7.99 a 100 Thursday. At a chain outdoor store .

Four-Sixty
01-21-2023, 08:22 PM
I wonder as things get worse between Russia and Ukraine we'll ever see 'reasonable' component prices.

dale2242
01-22-2023, 05:09 AM
I just read that we will be sending millions of rounds of ammo to Ukraine.
That much ammo is going to eat up a lot of primers.

GRid.1569
01-22-2023, 08:37 AM
Good grief those prices are extortion 😱… Last time I bought primers (10K of Federal SPP) it was 2014 and I didn’t pay that much for a box of 5K… still haven’t opened the second shipping unit yet 😳

David2011
01-22-2023, 03:00 PM
One issue with primer availability haven't seen mentioned is the increase in the number of cartridges now being loaded. Looking at an old edition of Cartridges of the World versus the newest there has been a massive increase in numbers. The old edition from the late nineties had about 80 listed under currently loaded, the new one has about 140. That is a 75% increase, and the primers that were sold to reloaders are now going into factory ammo. To keep the primer flow going to both would have required a 75% increase in primer production. This is not a precise evaluation as production figures would have changed between quantities made by caliber since then as well as whether small or large primers were used but is indicative of a major change in primer and powder demand, and allocation by the ammo makers. Considering that the 2+ million guns sold to new gun owners were likely handguns, and probably mostly 9mm and 380, even if the new owners only bought one box of ammo that is roughly 100 million primers. Haven't seen anything to indicate that the major ammo manufacturers increased primer production by 100 million.

An increase in the number of commercially produced cartridges will not translate 1:1 to a like increase in handloading or ammunition consumption. Sure, .32-20, .32-40 and many other older cartridges are still being produced in limited batches but those and other cartridges have fallen out of favor and other cartridges are being used for the most part instead. The .357 Sig and FN 5.7x28 are newer cartridges but how many are handloaded and how many are used in place of another cartridge versus being used in addition to the other previously existing cartridges? Several new rifle cartridges have been developed as well. Some are military. Some are benchrest or long range cartridges. Those, I will assume, are being used in place of other older cartridges. A shooter doesn’t take a 6.5mm Creedmoor and a 6mm Creedmoor both to a match. The 6.5 goes from bride status to bridesmaid status. A soldier or law enforcement officer is not going to use a 5.56mm rifle and a 6.8mm rifle. It’s either-or; not both.

Adding new cartridges to the list of those in current production doesn’t magically increase the overall amount of ammunition produced/consumed in direct proportion.

I was in Academy a few days ago. Ammunition was plentiful. The prices ranged from a little high to staggering. There were boxes of 9mm Luger of a brand that I had never heard of priced at $190 for 200 rounds.

ioon44
01-22-2023, 06:12 PM
I went to a LGS this weekend and some dealers were still asking $250.00 per thousand for primers, as far as I know they still have them. Other dealers were asking $15.00 or more for 100 primers. Alot of powder was $60.00 per lb.

TXTad
01-22-2023, 06:59 PM
I went to a LGS this weekend and some dealers were still asking $250.00 per thousand for primers, as far as I know they still have them. Other dealers were asking $15.00 or more for 100 primers. Alot of powder was $60.00 per lb.

I feel like the online prices on powder indicate that demand is slowing. I have purchased powder within the last month for $27/lb. I think primers are a bit behind, but I suspect if the prices stay elevated much longer, we'll start seeing some Eastern European primers enter the market. Barring some major political catastrophe, I think we'll see a realignment of prices on all components over the course of this year.

makeurownfun
01-23-2023, 10:06 AM
Just saw really old bricks of OLD CCI SRP at a local gun show last Saturday. Asking $130 a brick... Gun shows have been a big let down lately, although I did get lucky and find an old 870 Wingmaster for a good price

TXTad
01-23-2023, 11:17 AM
... Gun shows have been a big let down lately...

Not just lately. I've gone a few times in the past decade, but they're just not the same as they were in the 90s and early 2000s. I suspect had I been going longer, I'd say the same things about earlier decades compared to the 90s and 2000s. :-D

jdgabbard
01-23-2023, 11:28 AM
Just saw really old bricks of OLD CCI SRP at a local gun show last Saturday. Asking $130 a brick... Gun shows have been a big let down lately, although I did get lucky and find an old 870 Wingmaster for a good price

Yeah, gun shows are trash today. Back in the day you could actually go to one and find good deals on things. Now it's just a bunch of different vendors all in one place. Tulsa has several MASSIVE gun shows every year. I don't even waste my time going to them. I don't want the headache of finding a place to park, and then navigating the thousands of people in the center itself. Even though the boss gets a ton of free tickets every year, I just don't care to mess with it.

The last time I got a good deal at a gunshow was when I bought a case of .45acp, and the vendor seemingly only charged me for a half-case. Didn't notice it until the following day when I went back and took another look at the pricing, thinking I would buy another case at that price. I brought it up to him and offered to pay the difference, but he refused. Stating it was his mistake and to enjoy my ammo. That was probably 15 years ago.

charlie b
01-23-2023, 01:08 PM
I used to visit gun shows when I had a gun I wanted to sell or trade or was looking for a 'special' gun. Most of the time I could get as good or better deal at the local gun shop. There were always at least two large vendors with GI parts. Garand, AR, 1911, etc, etc. Also some good surplus vendors.

These days the 'surplus' stuff is mostly cheap reproductions. Guns are usually priced very high. There are exceptions. Haven't been back to one in several years.

One reason is there are more gun shows now then there used to be. They were an annual (or maybe twice a year event in larger towns/cities). Now days there are many more. Companies exist whose sole business is conducting gun shows. They will keep setting up more shows until they can't get enough vendors.

makeurownfun
01-23-2023, 04:12 PM
Not just lately. I've gone a few times in the past decade, but they're just not the same as they were in the 90s and early 2000s. I suspect had I been going longer, I'd say the same things about earlier decades compared to the 90s and 2000s. :-D

Oh absolutely! I didn't mean to imply just the last couple of years. I remember going to them back in the late 90s with my grandfather, buying cases of primers for $14 per k, then I started going all the time in the early 2000s. But around 2010ish or so they've just not been the same. IDK why, but most pawn shops are the same too.

I get the ammunition/primer prices, because people are still panic buying I guess :( Its still dumb

I remember 2 years ago I went to a huge Flea Market in Canton TX, and there was literally 3-5 tables full of brand new ammo from Walmart for 3-4x the price lol

MUSTANG
01-23-2023, 06:04 PM
Hopefully the Primer "Panic Buying" is subsiding. When I have been in the Kalispell Sportsman Ski Haus several times since Christmas; they have has Small Pistol, Small Pistol Magnum , and Match Small Rifle primers - on a shelf beside the Firearms Counter (Trust but verify customers?). The boxes of hundred out probably in the neighborhood of 8 to 14 boxes of 100 for each. A couple of the staff back in Nov & early Dec were giving me grief because I was going in each day buying 2 boxes of 100 Small primers each day. Prices were in $8.00 to $16.00 per hundred. They would infer that I should leave some for everyone else; & I would tell them I bought what their max was each day, and that I Had family coming for Christmas; so I wanted 1000 to 1500 rounds of 38 special wadcutter for family shooting at the range. They no longer give me any grief when I go in (although I am not buying many now); so I am suspecting they have sufficient on hands and they are not moving that fast.

Large Pistol is sometimes available; but Large Rifle seems to never show up on their shelves. Fortunately I have sufficient CCI Large Rifle primers that I am not in a NEED for some time. Right price and them being on the shelf - I would probably do a small buy or repetitive small buys.

tmag97
01-27-2023, 04:33 AM
Local gun shop has cci for $83 a brick $93 for remington. coming down a little

oldsman
01-27-2023, 10:45 AM
here is some pricing from back in time , if the pics load . I had to shrink resolution to get the pics to load.

charlie b
01-28-2023, 09:55 AM
That was probably back when my Python was only $300. :)

barnetmill
01-28-2023, 10:54 AM
There are slated to be 6 companies making primers for the public in the USA in the not too distant future and one of these of Fiocchi. So hang in there, things will get better relative to the supply of primers. Money is being invested to make more primers available. There is expansion industry that may be selling primers to public in May.

In the most recent 'american rifleman' is a story of Fiocchi doing more investment here in Little Rock.
Below is a news release I found on line.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2022/nov/16/italian-ammo-maker-plans-to-build-415m-factory-at/
talian ammo maker plans to build $41.5M factory at the Port of Little Rock, add 120 jobs
Ammunition maker to add 120 new jobs in $41.5M primer supply operation by Andrew Moreau | November 16, 2022 at 5:25 a.m.
Fiocchi Group, a global manufacturer of defensive, target and hunting ammunition, will build on 281 acres at the port, an expansion that will nearly double the company's employment in Little Rock. The new operation will produce primer supply for the broader ammunition manufacturing segment.

fragman
01-29-2023, 11:47 PM
Wonder how many of us have a decent stock because of hazmat fees. You had to buy a lot to make it worthwhile. Used to gripe about that fee, but they've paid for themselves many, many times over due to not having to buy primers in many years. Nothing to do with 'being smart and seeing the future', just wanted to make the order worth the fee.

Hodagtrapper
01-30-2023, 12:08 AM
Good point Fragman!

Chris

LAH
01-31-2023, 12:37 PM
Wonder how many of us have a decent stock because of hazmat fees. You had to buy a lot to make it worthwhile. Used to gripe about that fee, but they've paid for themselves many, many times over due to not having to buy primers in many years. Nothing to do with 'being smart and seeing the future', just wanted to make the order worth the fee.

I ordered because I wanted to stock up while primers were on sale. Of course as you say the hazmat does figure in the cost. FWIW I could order 50,000 primers at that time & the shipping & hazmat came to just under 5% of the total cost. Same for six each 8 pound jugs of power.

jdgabbard
01-31-2023, 01:33 PM
There are slated to be 6 companies making primers for the public in the USA in the not too distant future and one of these of Fiocchi. So hang in there, things will get better relative to the supply of primers. Money is being invested to make more primers available. There is expansion industry that may be selling primers to public in May.

In the most recent 'american rifleman' is a story of Fiocchi doing more investment here in Little Rock.
Below is a news release I found on line.

I did not know about this. I do like the Fiocchi brand, especially their loaded 380acp ammo. But I would welcome their primers if they come at a decent price. And Little Rock isn't too far away, so maybe we'll see an influx of them in the Tulsa area when they get up and going. I'm always about buying from companies that produce locally. I just recently found out about a Brand that produces AR components about a mile away from my home. I plan on buying some of their products soon. Maybe it'll help a neighbor get a raise. You gotta do what you can for your neighbors....

Pirate69
02-01-2023, 07:48 PM
Stopped by a local gun shop today. Primers were $20/100 and there was $69/LB powder. Glad I don't need anything at this time.

gloob
02-01-2023, 07:59 PM
It's like a Chris Rock skit. Guns should be legal. Bullets should cost $10,000 each. Then you know when someone gets shot, they deserved it!

I see a lot of disappointed investors, trying to cash in on new primer production. There's 50k more primers flooding the market every time an old reloader dies.

elmacgyver0
02-01-2023, 08:20 PM
Not too long-ago primers were $11.00 a thousand.
Tell me how they are becoming more reasonable.

MUSTANG
02-01-2023, 08:54 PM

Reasonable is a debatable term. I am getting advertisements via e-mail from several different reputable sites with primers "Marked Down" to $89 per 1K, even marked down as low as $68 per 1K; and of course there would be a Haz Mat fee on top of that. What I am seeing is Winchester, Remington, CCI, and some Baltic countries as well as DOwn South of USofA manufacturers.

They are still too high for me to buy since I have enough of all sizes for this year. If I could get them for $49 per 1K locally I would probably buy and replenish shelves as that may be as low as they go (Eventually I hope).

jdgabbard
02-02-2023, 11:59 AM

I'm with you. While I never saw the main brands at $11/k, I have seen, and bought a lot of, the secondary brands such as Wolf, Tula, etc for $12ish. And let me tell you, that wasn't as long ago as others might try to get you to believe. Last time I ordered from Powder Valley was some time back in the 2010 to 2011 time frame, and thats what I bought. I'm still shooting those primers today....

charlie b
02-02-2023, 12:28 PM
And not too long ago steak was $2/lb.

Primers are not going to go back to $50/1000. We will be lucky if the price stays below $100/1000 for std primers.

Half Dog
02-02-2023, 12:35 PM
I’m seeing reloading components but it’s hit or miss. I’m finding the best thing to do is get components when you see them and trade for what you need.

MUSTANG
02-02-2023, 01:12 PM
I foresee differently than those who remain skeptical on prices coming down. This week received e-mail add from Southern Defense with Primers ranging from $63 to $89 per 1000.

https://southerndefense.com/servicos-aventuras-small-pistol-primers-1000ct-35-flate-rate-shipping-on-any-size-primer-order-hazmat-included-minimum-purchase-of-3k-primers-required/?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ginex%20primer%20and%20powder_1_2&utm_content=&_rmId=pZdOy2qY6jIJ3grbekZ9SNxKbJ7Ee2c7yZq1W

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e6pwta9b5x/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/810/1689/SASPP001-G__73889.1675111790.jpg?c=1

Also received similar ads and prices from others via e-mail this week.

I note that the price of .223/5.56 ammunition has stabilized at about $11 to $12 per 20 rounds for PMC and similar. I am seeing e-mail ads for same with sales as low as $5.99 per 20 rounds. Similar drops for .308 ammunition. These would indicate that the Manufacturer prices are dropping as the shelves are filled at many LGS's for popular calibers (9mm, 38 spell, .45, .223, 6.5 Creedmor, .308 and similar). I am not seeing ammo going out the door; and shelves are filled - this would translate to dropping price of components such as primers to keep sales/profits moving for the larger corporations.

As a counter to the above; I am seeing the price of Powder continuing to increase. Old reliables are hard to get, and the newer offerings are being pushed - but the are pushing them at the $50 to $60 per pound rate. I bought 8 lbs of Win 760 Tuesday for $228.00 - May go back and buy the other 8 lb container of W760 this Friday or Saturday if it's still there as that seems to be a good buy and W760 is not showing up at most locations I frequent.

jdgabbard
02-02-2023, 01:47 PM
I foresee differently than those who remain skeptical on prices coming down. This week received e-mail add from Southern Defense with Primers ranging from $63 to $89 per 1000.

https://southerndefense.com/servicos-aventuras-small-pistol-primers-1000ct-35-flate-rate-shipping-on-any-size-primer-order-hazmat-included-minimum-purchase-of-3k-primers-required/?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ginex%20primer%20and%20powder_1_2&utm_content=&_rmId=pZdOy2qY6jIJ3grbekZ9SNxKbJ7Ee2c7yZq1W

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e6pwta9b5x/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/810/1689/SASPP001-G__73889.1675111790.jpg?c=1

Also received similar ads and prices from others via e-mail this week.

I note that the price of .223/5.56 ammunition has stabilized at about $11 to $12 per 20 rounds for PMC and similar. I am seeing e-mail ads for same with sales as low as $5.99 per 20 rounds. Similar drops for .308 ammunition. These would indicate that the Manufacturer prices are dropping as the shelves are filled at many LGS's for popular calibers (9mm, 38 spell, .45, .223, 6.5 Creedmor, .308 and similar). I am not seeing ammo going out the door; and shelves are filled - this would translate to dropping price of components such as primers to keep sales/profits moving for the larger corporations.

As a counter to the above; I am seeing the price of Powder continuing to increase. Old reliables are hard to get, and the newer offerings are being pushed - but the are pushing them at the $50 to $60 per pound rate. I bought 8 lbs of Win 760 Tuesday for $228.00 - May go back and buy the other 8 lb container of W760 this Friday or Saturday if it's still there as that seems to be a good buy and W760 is not showing up at most locations I frequent.

Pertaining to powder, I've got a keg of BE that has $189 marked on it. So I don't consider the $228 to be TOO high. Higher than I'd like to pay, but within reason... If 8lb kegs of typical pistol powders get get to the +/- $200 range, I don't think that is a horrible deal. But I'd also like to see some more WC844 powder hit the market. I'm on my last jug of it, and I'm dreading running out. I may switch over to 1200R after it's gone. I tried it and really liked it. Not as much as the WC844... But I liked it.

LAH
02-02-2023, 09:48 PM
The local Bridgeport Equipment & Tool had CCI small rifle primers today for 6.99/100. Ammo shelves were full plus a nice selection of powder. Some ammo was marked "sale." Things appear to be catching up. When things are on the shelf hoarder seem to take a break. Stock increases & prices fall.

P Flados
02-02-2023, 11:47 PM
Pertaining to powder, I've got a keg of BE that has $189 marked on it. So I don't consider the $228 to be TOO high. Higher than I'd like to pay, but within reason... If 8lb kegs of typical pistol powders get get to the +/- $200 range, I don't think that is a horrible deal. But I'd also like to see some more WC844 powder hit the market. I'm on my last jug of it, and I'm dreading running out. I may switch over to 1200R after it's gone. I tried it and really liked it. Not as much as the WC844... But I liked it.

Powder availability is the key to any reduction in prices.

Availability of flake and ball is improving but not great. On line prices are starting to improve and I would expect them to come down some more.

Availability of most extruded rifle powers (stick) is still very poor. Production facilities for Hodgdon (Austrailia), IMR & Accurate (Canada), Alliant (Sweden) have not made a dent in the pent up demand. This has pushed these powders into the $40 - $50 per pound range. Production of stick powder also seems to struggle with environmental concerns.

And if you like WC 844, good options for similar commercial powders include: SW Tactical Rifle, Ramshot X Terminator, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2460. These are all ball powders (like WC 844) and are among the most economical rifle powders.
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/powder?in_stock_only=true&itemsPerPage=36&powder_size=8-lbs&sort=price-asc

Outer Rondacker
02-03-2023, 06:36 AM
No large pistol primers anyplace around me. No large rifle primers either. Plenty of small rifle primers for 149.99 /1000.

Rich/WIS
02-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Was in the LGS yesterday, a small selection of powder averaged $60 a pound, only primers were 209's. Don't know who made the 209's but the packaging was really different, a flat tray of 1000, not 100 round flats. Price was $100/K. There is another shop north of me that had reloading supplies before the pandemic but haven't been in there in 6 months or more so don't know if they are getting stock in or not. Gun show next week in town, but may or may not go, high entrance fees and seems like the same overpriced stuff from the last couple of shows.

jdgabbard
02-03-2023, 12:04 PM
Powder availability is the key to any reduction in prices.

Availability of flake and ball is improving but not great. On line prices are starting to improve and I would expect them to come down some more.

Availability of most extruded rifle powers (stick) is still very poor. Production facilities for Hodgdon (Austrailia), IMR & Accurate (Canada), Alliant (Sweden) have not made a dent in the pent up demand. This has pushed these powders into the $40 - $50 per pound range. Production of stick powder also seems to struggle with environmental concerns.

And if you like WC 844, good options for similar commercial powders include: SW Tactical Rifle, Ramshot X Terminator, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2460. These are all ball powders (like WC 844) and are among the most economical rifle powders.
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/powder?in_stock_only=true&itemsPerPage=36&powder_size=8-lbs&sort=price-asc

Well, WC844 is roughly equivalent to H335. So I could always switch to that as well. However, I have some loads worked up with 1200R which worked very well. What I liked about WC844 was the price, being a surplus/pulldown powder and whatnot. It was extremely undervalued for what it was.

Whatever I make the change to it would be nice to have some cross-compatibility. I'd ideally like to find something that works well with jacketed ammo in .223/5.56 and 7.62x39. And I think the H335 is just a little too slow for the x39. I haven't looked too deeping into the loading data on hand - mostly because I'm still have a little less than a keg of the WC844 and thus time to make up my mind. But I need to start thinking about it.

high standard 40
02-03-2023, 12:45 PM
I just purchased the first CCI 400 primers I've seen on the shelf in a very long time. I never thought I'd pay this much but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. $92 per thousand. There were 2000 on the shelf. I left 1000 there for the next guy.

Hanzy4200
02-04-2023, 07:33 PM
I don't think we will ever see primer prices return. My guess is we might get lucky and find them in the $60-$70 range on sale eventually.

high standard 40
02-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Will prices ever go back to where they were? Nope. I can remember buying 1000 primers for $9.95. Inflation and resultant devaluation of the dollar assures the prices may fluctuate but the trend will always be rising as a whole.

fredj338
02-06-2023, 03:52 PM

Primers are not going to go back to $50/1000. We will be lucky if the price stays below $100/1000 for std primers.

Well many places are already selling for $60, just limiting amounts. So I could see $50 again, but its gonna be alooong while.

TXTad
02-06-2023, 04:20 PM
Well many places are already selling for $60, just limiting amounts. So I could see $50 again, but its gonna be alooong while.

If more suppliers enter the market, as seems they are, the prices will go back down after a sufficient amount of time without political distortions of the market. The floor will be something like the 2019 price plus the cumulative inflation since then, with possibly a bit more if some key components have increased in price faster than inflation.

Outer Rondacker
02-06-2023, 06:43 PM

I just bought a hundred pounds from the market for $2/lb. Not burger either. Wife and I laugh as we opened the few packs we didnt vacuum seal. Her T-bone was 2.49 and mine was 2.67. Not sure if it was a market mix up but hey I filled the cart and hit the self checkout. T bones for 1.99 a pound.

But primers have never really been cheap in my area. Gun shops around here rape you. One local is getting 19.99 a 100 for CCI 400s

dondiego
02-06-2023, 07:44 PM
I just bought a hundred pounds from the market for $2/lb. Not burger either. Wife and I laugh as we opened the few packs we didnt vacuum seal. Her T-bone was 2.49 and mine was 2.67. Not sure if it was a market mix up but hey I filled the cart and hit the self checkout. T bones for 1.99 a pound.

But primers have never really been cheap in my area. Gun shops around here rape you. One local is getting 19.99 a 100 for CCI 400s

He's asking $19.99 per hundred, is he actually getting that price?

Outer Rondacker
02-06-2023, 08:23 PM
He's asking $19.99 per hundred, is he actually getting that price?

Your right I should of worded it better. He is asking that much and claims he is selling a lot of them. He was not getting that from me. Same shop wants 42.99 for a box of 50 winchester white box 9mm.

As for if I believe him I will put it this way. His shop is still open and heated. Has to be selling something.

jdgabbard
02-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Your right I should of worded it better. He is asking that much and claims he is selling a lot of them. He was not getting that from me. Same shop wants 42.99 for a box of 50 winchester white box 9mm.

As for if I believe him I will put it this way. His shop is still open and heated. Has to be selling something.

Yeah, but there is a difference between that is what you have available now, when you need it, and what you can wait on. In Tulsa there is a store called Dong's that sells a lot of reloading equipment. Whenever you mention the store name around anyone in the area they chuckle. The guy is way overpriced on just about everything. BUT, you can get it today at Dong's, or wait a day or two to go someone else, or order online.

Just because you sell stuff doesn't mean that is the going price. That is the price one guy is selling them for.

fredj338
02-08-2023, 04:04 PM
If more suppliers enter the market, as seems they are, the prices will go back down after a sufficient amount of time without political distortions of the market. The floor will be something like the 2019 price plus the cumulative inflation since then, with possibly a bit more if some key components have increased in price faster than inflation.

WHich is why I put $50/1000 as the floor, because of inflation. Nothing driven by inflation ever goes down.

Hondolane
02-08-2023, 04:14 PM
Prices will come down when third-party manufactures start making cheaper cost primers. Capitalism abhors a vacuum.

fragman
02-09-2023, 12:03 AM
I'm not advocating price gouging in any way, but something to consider. The numbers I'm going to use are arbitrary, but hopefully serve to make the point.

Say that an LGS has rent and utilities of $1000 a month (I can assure you it's more) and payroll of $3000. So he has to make $4000 profit just to stay open. He WAS buying primers for 20 a 1000 and selling for 30. He buys 9mm for 7 a box and sells for 12. So if he sells 500 boxes of 9mm and 150 boxes of primers, he can stay open. Key factor is that he his distributor could supply as many as he could sell.

Problem is, during the crunch, suddenly he can't source 500 boxes of 9mm. He might be able to get 50. And he might just get two cartons of 5000 primers. If he wants to stay open, he has to get $4k out of those. Maybe he cuts payroll temporarily, but the rent is the rent. He has to make more per item to survive. Not only that, but he is not sure if he can get another two cartons of primers next month.

I'm guessing that scenario has been a driver of prices too. So, as supply increases, not only will the wholesale price per unit decrease, but the amount these guys need to markup their stock will go down.

And no, I am not an LGS!

TXTad
02-09-2023, 11:05 AM
I'm not advocating price gouging in any way, but something to consider. The numbers I'm going to use are arbitrary, but hopefully serve to make the point.

Say that an LGS has rent and utilities of $1000 a month (I can assure you it's more) and payroll of $3000. So he has to make $4000 profit just to stay open. He WAS buying primers for 20 a 1000 and selling for 30. He buys 9mm for 7 a box and sells for 12. So if he sells 500 boxes of 9mm and 150 boxes of primers, he can stay open. Key factor is that he his distributor could supply as many as he could sell.

Problem is, during the crunch, suddenly he can't source 500 boxes of 9mm. He might be able to get 50. And he might just get two cartons of 5000 primers. If he wants to stay open, he has to get $4k out of those. Maybe he cuts payroll temporarily, but the rent is the rent. He has to make more per item to survive. Not only that, but he is not sure if he can get another two cartons of primers next month.

I'm guessing that scenario has been a driver of prices too. So, as supply increases, not only will the wholesale price per unit decrease, but the amount these guys need to markup their stock will go down.

And no, I am not an LGS!

Exactly correct. Most people don't understand that many business expenses are not proportional to sales, and that is so for every step in the supply chain.

Politics has stolen so much from people and they don't even realize it. It's not, or at least not just, the big box stores and the internet that killed the LGS. It's the unbearable swings in the market caused by the machinations of politicians. I just want to be able to walk into a gun store and grab as much as I felt like carrying of primers, powder, and bullets from a full brand size selection all at reasonable and predictable prices like I could in the 90s.

OS OK
02-09-2023, 11:22 AM
"All the comments were 'OFF THE RECORD' ... for whatever that's worth!" :bigsmyl2:

What's Up With Primer Production? What MAJOR Ammo Manufacturers WOULDN'T Say On Camera!

https://youtu.be/BNxoJvH8uSc?t=46

tmag97
02-12-2023, 01:36 AM
Local gun shop has full shelf of cci and remington for $83 a thousand and $109 for fgmm
if you want to pay that much

charlie b
02-12-2023, 03:17 PM
Small businesses do mark stuff up more than a big box store. Lower volume and lower number of customers means they need to have more profit per purchase than the big stores.

And those people who live far away from a big box store pay more for their stuff. Same kinds of reasons.

The availability of products on the internet, and fast shipping, has caused a decline in small business for all those reasons.

So, if you like having your local gun shop, then go there and buy stuff even if it is a bit more expensive than internet shops.

35 Rem
02-13-2023, 01:02 PM
I think prices are going to go down over the next year or two. Of course they won't be the same as they were in 2019 before all the madness started but then prices go up every year due to inflation so nobody should expect that. On-line suppliers are starting to have "Free Shipping" sales and I even saw one that is having a "Free Haz-Mat" deal again. Haven't seen one of those in a long while and they wouldn't be doing that unless supply was catching up with demand. Also I get "Shooting Industry" magazine since I'm a FFL holder, and the last two issues have been full of articles concerning a significant slowdown in buying and the inevitable price drops the industry will have to endure to keep customers coming back. This has happened before and it always seems hopeless but it always returns to normal.
For those who are running low on primers or powder, learn from this and the next time a Republican gets in the White House BUY BUY BUY. Get lifetime quantities of everything while it's cheap and plentiful.

murf205
02-13-2023, 04:18 PM
Yep, Barrack Obama taught me how to buy primers and powder-and 22 RF ammo. Sooner or later, the primer market will level off but it might be at $100 per thousand. Kinda' like gasoline in the 70's. There was a shortage of gas until it doubled and presto! Gas again. We're at their mercy.

LAH
02-13-2023, 08:24 PM
I think prices are going to go down over the next year or two. Of course they won't be the same as they were in 2019 before all the madness started but then prices go up every year due to inflation so nobody should expect that. On-line suppliers are starting to have "Free Shipping" sales and I even saw one that is having a "Free Haz-Mat" deal again. Haven't seen one of those in a long while and they wouldn't be doing that unless supply was catching up with demand. Also I get "Shooting Industry" magazine since I'm a FFL holder, and the last two issues have been full of articles concerning a significant slowdown in buying and the inevitable price drops the industry will have to endure to keep customers coming back. This has happened before and it always seems hopeless but it always returns to normal.
For those who are running low on primers or powder, learn from this and the next time a Republican gets in the White House BUY BUY BUY. Get lifetime quantities of everything while it's cheap and plentiful.

What 35 Rem said.

gloob
02-13-2023, 08:51 PM

Only if we buy more of them than before. We're possibly the most unpredictable part of the entire chain. It's not like fresh eggs or milk. A lot of us buy enough powder and primers in one purchase to potentially last until we die. We don't buy more because we're out. We buy another lifetime when the prices are good enough and we have money to burn!

Longfellow
02-15-2023, 05:23 PM
I’m settled in my mind that this Bullseye season will be a 22 only season. Better to accept, be patient and be at peace and check back this time next year.

gloob
02-15-2023, 10:21 PM
Yep. Shooting the heck out of my airguns and got round to scoping my 22LR. Pulling down and upgrading some of my old ammo, to get my reloading fix.

Problem is the missus. She only wants to shoot the semiauto 223 and 45 ACP. Primers AND j-words! And for pistol, the most lead per shot!

fragman
02-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Only if we buy more of them than before. We're possibly the most unpredictable part of the entire chain. It's not like fresh eggs or milk. A lot of us buy enough powder and primers in one purchase to potentially last until we die. We don't buy more because we're out. We buy another lifetime when the prices are good enough and we have money to burn!

And this is also true!

Longfellow
02-16-2023, 10:05 AM
I tried 45 amp with small primer pockets since I had quite a bit of those left and there were too many misfires. Your guns may be more reliable. I have hammer springs on all my Bullseye guns set to be 100% reliable with LR of the softer flavors. If you have stock pistols, it may be an option for you.

fredj338
02-16-2023, 08:16 PM
Yep, Barrack Obama taught me how to buy primers and powder-and 22 RF ammo. Sooner or later, the primer market will level off but it might be at $100 per thousand. Kinda' like gasoline in the 70's. There was a shortage of gas until it doubled and presto! Gas again. We're at their mercy.

Its well below $100 no. I just got a notice from PV, they have primers for $80.

Bird
02-17-2023, 05:25 PM
CAUTION..PV, Powdervalleyinc, should not be confused with Powdersvalley.com.
Powdersvalley.com looks like powdervalleyinc, with lower prices and better availability. It looks like a scam.
Just called Powdervalleyinc, and they are in the process of having that other website taken down.

TXTad
02-21-2023, 11:58 PM
More evidence of lower prices to come: https://shop.tactical****.com/servicios-aventuras-small-pistol-primers

$69 per 1,000 is still too much, but as long as prices remain high, more foreign manufacturers will continue to try to enter the lucrative US reloading market. Eventually the effect of competition will return to its usual level of influence and we may actually be surprised at where prices end up. I doubt $10.95 again. but $30 to $40 seems easy.

35 Rem
02-22-2023, 01:16 AM
More evidence of lower prices to come: https://shop.tactical****.com/servicios-aventuras-small-pistol-primers

$69 per 1,000 is still too much, but as long as prices remain high, more foreign manufacturers will continue to try to enter the lucrative US reloading market. Eventually the effect of competition will return to its usual level of influence and we may actually be surprised at where prices end up. I doubt $10.95 again. but $30 to $40 seems easy.

I'm thinking about the same prices too. As much as I would love to see all our products manufactured here in the USA, the foreign competition is going to help shooters wallets considerably. I can't see primers staying above $50 for the long term.

Bird
02-22-2023, 03:41 AM
Looks as though interest rates will rise another 3/4 of a % this year. The Fed will try to stop inflation by taking us to the edge of economic collapse. They will either collapse the economy, which is very doubtful, or they will flood the economy with more easing, and thus more inflation.
I think prices on everything may be at their lowest in August or September this year, and that may be the window of opportunity to buy anything at the best prices.

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2023, 07:45 AM
At the end of the day if I want to shoot I will buy when needed if I run out. I do not see primers going below 50 dollars ever again.

TXTad
02-22-2023, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking about the same prices too. As much as I would love to see all our products manufactured here in the USA, the foreign competition is going to help shooters wallets considerably. I can't see primers staying above $50 for the long term.

I agree. I would prefer to keep buying CCI, Winchester, and Federal primers as I always have, but because those companies are reluctant to increase capacity, for both good and bad reasons, there will be a market for a marketeer to come in and take advantage of those conditions. I think at this point the limiting factor to how fast prices are going to correct is the amount of expensive inventory in stock and how long it takes for that to be sold.

barnetmill
02-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Small pistol primers are available for the moment
I do not know if we are allowed to post vendors here, but searching the large internet vendors should likely find the offering. These were CCI, but there were two other brand also. Still a bit high for my pocket book.
For that pricing I can buy a 1,000 rounds of 5.56 ammo.

$440.00 for 5,000 sp
Free Shipping!
Select :
Quantity:
AVAILABLE : 15 in stock
Note: *A $30 hazmat fee will be applied upon checkout*

barnetmill
02-22-2023, 12:42 PM
Finally! NEW PRIMER COMPANY Shows Proof Of Life! We've got Em! Small Pistol Primers from EXPANSION
not available yet for retail sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6eFfw222U

MUSTANG
02-22-2023, 01:06 PM
Maybe it will come to reality. I would give it a try when available. And if priced right and the initial test worked out - I would by many thousands to replenish. As I have said in several different threads, we need to see new entry into the market place to break to Wall Street Holding Company Monopolies that have crept into the Manufacturers and Retailers of our Shooting Sports.

I did a search on EXP Ballistics and came up with a Vendor who actually has them for sale at ~ $80 a thousand plus Ship/Hazmat:

https://southerndefense.com/copy-of-expansion-ballistics-small-pistol-primers-7-brass/

TXTad
02-22-2023, 02:55 PM
I think another way to look at it is what is the price of primers relative to loaded 9mm ammunition.

In 2019, a brick of SP primers was something around $25, I think. 1k 9mm rounds from a major manufacturer was about 10x this, maybe less. I am not sure, I wasn't buying any ammo then.

Anyway, primers are normally something like 10% to 15% of what a case of 9mm costs. Prices for FMJ are starting to get fairly low, but primers have not yet moved.

deces
02-22-2023, 03:40 PM
"All the comments were 'OFF THE RECORD' ... for whatever that's worth!" :bigsmyl2:

What's Up With Primer Production? What MAJOR Ammo Manufacturers WOULDN'T Say On Camera!

https://youtu.be/BNxoJvH8uSc?t=46

In other words, a government created problem.