PDA

View Full Version : pressure treated lumber precautions

oley55
01-14-2023, 09:31 AM
A subject switch from the usual lead dust/smoke discussions, I am looking for some thoughts on pressure treated lumber. For most most of my life there were NOT a lot of warnings about cutting creosote or PT lumber and I've cut my share as a dedicated DIYer and remain healthy. Now that the many warnings are out there, is a simple dust mask adequate? I am rebuilding my 42 year old saltwater marsh dock and the framing lumber (2x10 headers and 2x8 joists) do contain arsenic (0.60 pcf CCA-C) while the remainder of the lumber is of the CA-C type. All was purchased from a dedicated dock construction lumber supplier and I presume even the CA-C non-arsenic containing lumber has either more concentrated chemicals or a longer/deeper pressure penetration time in the pressure chamber.

I presume both require a bit of caution and care, but does the CCA-C deserve a respirator or will a simple dust mask suffice? I will be wearing eye protection, long sleeves and gloves to minimize skin absorption of the arsenic.

Am I falling for the whole California initiated "everything will harm you" culture or should I take this more seriously than I do most everything else? Whenever I see one of those "the state of California...." warnings I almost always role my eyes.

Thoughts or practical experience?

Johnch
01-14-2023, 10:55 AM
I used "Free" pressure treated lumber and Plywood to build Wood Duck Boxes several times
So I made sure the pressure treated lumber I used arsenic free pressure treated lumber

I feel the pressure treated lumber with arsenic might last longer
But that type of pressure treated lumber might be hard on some types of life that lives on the posts under water

BUT please check that what lumber is OK to use
Years ago I helped dad rebuild part of the cow holding area
Long story Short there is regulations on what can be used in a Milking Paylour
As milk cows will chew on anything

John

gunther
01-14-2023, 12:09 PM
A respirator ought to do. Some years ago, one of my bosses built a deck of pressure treated lumber, and did not think of using a respirator. Developed breathing problems. Finally got a respirator and got that under control.

.45Cole
01-14-2023, 12:32 PM
I have a half face 3m respirator that uses removable cartridges for different things. The round pink is for particulate. I use that thing for all sorts of stuff, the particulate for tons and then other cartridges for painting, ect. They are comfortable. The mask is like $50 and the cartridges are $20 to !00 depending on what they remove.

alfadan
01-14-2023, 12:47 PM
I too bought a 3m half face. I think its actually more comfortable than an N95 paper mask and less fiddly as I have to constantly readjust the n95s.

HWooldridge
01-14-2023, 12:58 PM
With sawdust, you are dealing more with particulates than vapor, so most any type of face mask should work.

A friend of mine worked in a local sawmill that primarily cut mesquite lumber for furniture. He had experienced childhood asthma, which was completely under control for many years until he began working in this shop. He started wearing a cartridge type mask over his mouth and nose, and the breathing problems disappeared, almost overnight.

oley55
01-14-2023, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, a 3M style half mask with particulate cartridge is on my purchase list.

Froogal
01-15-2023, 11:20 AM
The last project I did with PT lumber was to build a new deck for the front of my house. THAT lumber was apparently fresh from the mill because it was still wet and gooey. Absolutely NO dust.

Gator 45/70
01-15-2023, 11:36 AM
When I worked bulk-head construction back then we had 2 coat creosote pilings and wood boards for bulkheads and pig pens.
Pig pens would be the wooden frame around the well casing and well head framed up on pilings.
2 coat creosote means 1 coat stays on the wood 1 coat gets on you!
Never used any breathing protection, Did use Vaseline on the face in order to remove the creosote easier.

MaryB
01-15-2023, 01:08 PM
The last project I did with PT lumber was to build a new deck for the front of my house. THAT lumber was apparently fresh from the mill because it was still wet and gooey. Absolutely NO dust.

I had a sheet of treated ply that was so wet the sawdust balled up in the blade guard of the circular saw and jammed the blade! Stuff was soggy!

farmbif
01-15-2023, 01:42 PM
that pressure treated wood and poles for docks is the good stuff. the highest pressure treated wood rating. it lasts a long long time on my outdoor projects. dust particles are much bigger than fumes and smoke. im no expert but one of those n95 dust masks is what I would use. I have bunch of that dock building wood I dragged up here from florida I use around the farm for repairs on outdoor stairs and steps.