PDA

View Full Version : Smelting car battery lead

3rdTennCoC
01-13-2023, 11:54 PM
Let me Stat of by saying I know everyone's opinion on the matter. Dangerous, will kill you amd the like.
I have a robust ventilation system in my shed far away from the house so I want to give it a try
I am hoping for an answer to my one question.
Do the dangerous chemicals like arsenic and such burn off after the first melting or will the harmful fumes be emitted every time the lead is solidified then remelted?

Winger Ed.
01-14-2023, 12:03 AM
Do the dangerous chemicals like arsenic and such burn off after the first melting or will the harmful fumes be emitted every time the lead is solidified then remelted?

I'm not sure, but I'd treat it like any other melt, and keep up wind of it.

trails4u
01-14-2023, 12:05 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh boy.....you've done it now.

My friend, I believe you and I are probably wired alike..... Don't do it?? Yeah, well....hold my beer and watch this!

M-Tecs
01-14-2023, 12:09 AM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220873-Smelting-Battery-Lead

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138362-Why-Car-Batteries-Are-Dangerous

https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/thread/4442-battery-smelting/

BK7saum
01-14-2023, 12:12 AM
Arsenic alloys with lead and won't burn off. However, Arsenic is in wheelweights and lead shot.

The harmful substances in battery lead like cadmium are also metals and will always be present. I don't know the complete makeup of newer current production batteries, but believe there may be calcium and magnesium as well.

I would err on the side of caution and assume that they will still be present after the initial smelt/melt.

challenger_i
01-14-2023, 12:13 AM
Big cast iron pot, BIG hot fire, OUTSIDE (stay upwind my friend!) and flux it often!
Yes, batteries can be smelted (the battery remanufacturers do it daily!), the plastic and yuck float to the top (skim the mix frequently!) and once it appears clean, let cool and smelt it a second time.

trails4u
01-14-2023, 12:17 AM
Just sell them for scrap $ and buy/trade for lead.... I mean, really. <My earlier post was intended sarcasm, purple font didn't take>

3rdTennCoC
01-14-2023, 12:23 AM
Will smelting it a second time help? Allowing me to smelt it and cast in the basement with my normal vents? My robust ventilation system is my lee bottom pour pot on a 50 yard extention cable in the field.

Dusty Bannister
01-14-2023, 12:27 AM
No matter how many threads are provided to document that it is dangerous, produces little return, and there are better things to use, some folks just have gotta test the electric fence anyway.

Winger Ed.
Will smelting it a second time help? Allowing me to smelt it and cast in the basement with my normal vents? My robust ventilation system is my lee bottom pour pot on a 50 yard extention cable in the field.

You're good.
I'd be more concerned with the Cadmium than anything else.
It is not something to play around with.

Run your pot pretty hot, leave it going for a hour or so.
If there is a brown, crunchy crud on top--- that's Cadmium.

fredj338
Are we really to that point? I can get all the range lead i want to mine, seems a safer bet.

challenger_i
01-14-2023, 12:39 AM
Consider this: anytime One buys scrap lead at the junk yard, there is recycled battery lead in the mix. Generally, a high percentage. As for range lead, unless it is encompassed by copper jackets, One can reasonably assume the lead may be from a recycled source. So, the bottom line is, just what source of lead can be trusted to not have been a battery in its past?

GregLaROCHE
01-14-2023, 01:38 AM
Thirty years ago I decided to harvest lead from some batteries I had. I was surprised at how little amount of lead was in the batteries. I expected to find them full of lead plates, but instead found mostly lead covered fiberglass. It certainly wasn’t worth it to me. Maybe deep cycle batteries are more like the old car batteries I remembered, but the new batteries designed for starting vehicles, were completely different.

Winger Ed.
01-14-2023, 01:54 AM
Maybe deep cycle batteries are more like the old car batteries I remembered, but the new batteries designed for starting vehicles, were completely different.

The deep cycle old school batteries probably did have more pure Lead in them,
as well as a deeper case for the Lead Sulphate to fall and settle in before it built up and shorted out the cell.

Modern-ish wet cell batteries that have a big number of cold cranking amps and are rather small have a lot of Calcium in their alloy.
They wear out faster too*.

Also, if you drain them flat, they only charge back up to about 90% of what you had to before it ran flat.
Run it flat again, and it only recharges back up to 90% of that,,,, and so on, and.so on.......

I used to know a guy who had worked at the old Dallas Lead plant.
One of the things they did was make and blend the alloys to the specs. going to the battery manufacturers.

In the mid-late 80s- They got a project in one time to re-cast the same and original pure Lead plates
for the last US Navy WWII Diesel Electric submarine they still used at the time for training.
They added some modern equipment, and needed to change the dimensions of its batteries.
The batteries had pure Lead plates separated by sheets of glass, and stacked in a box.
They could be drained and fully charged back up over and over--- more or less forever.

By the alloy, and construction of the battery, they could very accurately predict how long that battery would last
in a given climate, with the size of engine it had to crank..... and adjust the warranty accordingly.

uscra112
01-14-2023, 03:00 AM
The biggest danger is not in the smelting, it's the dross. It gathers moisture and creates an extremely dangerous gas. As in lethal if it concentrates in a closed trash container.

OS OK
01-14-2023, 07:07 AM
This is one of those decisions in life that is easy to walk away from...no harm & no foul.
On the other hand...well...it's your life...your call.

If you live to be an old'Fart like me and some of the other boys...you will look back in time and wish you'd handled some things differently.
Nuff said.

M-Tecs
01-14-2023, 07:30 AM
Consider this: anytime One buys scrap lead at the junk yard, there is recycled battery lead in the mix. Generally, a high percentage. As for range lead, unless it is encompassed by copper jackets, One can reasonably assume the lead may be from a recycled source. So, the bottom line is, just what source of lead can be trusted to not have been a battery in its past?

The only way that happens is individuals melt the batteries and sell it to the scrap yard. Since it is not remotely cost effective that rarely if ever happens.

Recycled battery lead is much different than you or I smelting down batteries. While I cannot speak to all lead recycling facilities that one that an acquaintance works at refines it the 99.9 pure.

https://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=151#:~:text=Primary-lead%20companies%20generally%20produce%20the%2099. 99%25%20Pb%20grade%2C,contains%20sufficient%20bism uth%20to%20preclude%20reaching%2099.99%25%20purity .

Specifications for Recycled Lead
Throughout much of the world, two lead specifications prevail: one with a minimum of 99.99% Pb and the other with a minimum of 99.97% Pb. The major impurities in lead are antimony, arsenic, bismuth, copper, nickel, silver, tin, and zinc. Recently, selenium and tellurium have been added as important impurities.
Primary-lead companies generally produce the 99.99% Pb grade, whereas recyclers produce the 99.97% Pb grade. The major difference in the lead grades is that recyclers generally do not remove the bismuth and silver in their refining process. Recycled lead generally contains sufficient bismuth to preclude reaching 99.99% purity.

Gas-Producing Impurities. More important than restrictions of bismuth and silver in lead specifications has been the restriction of elements that increase gas generation in lead acid batteries. Elements that promote decomposition of the electrolyte and production of gas upon charging are specified at very low levels regardless of the overall purity of the lead. The specification for pure lead for battery oxide restricts antimony, arsenic, nickel, and tellurium to low levels, whereas nongassing impurities such as bismuth, silver, and copper are permitted at higher levels. In the most restrictive specifications, all the gas-producing impurities are restricted to a content of 1 ppm or less.

schutzen-jager
01-14-2023, 08:53 AM
iirc most automotive battery plates starting in 1978 contain a diminished percentage of lead + increased amount of the element . strontium -

fyi [[ Can you extract the lead from batteries?
Re: Extracting the lead from batteries? Here in the U.S., cracking and recycling lead-acid batteries is a regulated activity. Depending on what you do with the spent sulfuric acid, it's regulated as a hazardous waste. ]]

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0378775378850034

charlie b
01-14-2023, 09:50 AM
...In the mid-late 80s- They got a project in one time to re-cast the same and original pure Lead plates
for the last US Navy WWII Diesel Electric submarine they still used at the time for training.
They added some modern equipment, and needed to change the dimensions of its batteries.
The batteries had pure Lead plates separated by sheets of glass, and stacked in a box.
They could be drained and fully charged back up over and over--- more or less forever.

By the alloy, and construction of the battery, they could very accurately predict how long that battery would last
in a given climate, with the size of engine it had to crank..... and adjust the warranty accordingly.

Brings back fond memories with my father-in-law who spent many years on the old diesel subs. SS303 was his favorite time. The batteries were their 'life', everything about the sub operation centered around the batteries.

They had detailed charts on voltages and charge rates. To get 100% they had a very specific charge sequence of voltages and times. One 'layover' in Panama the dock did not have enough shore power so they rolled up one of the railroad tugs. The tug crew claimed the cable would be fine, until it smoked when it was hooked up. They got a bigger cable and the tug bogged down. Finally got a second tug and cable to get a good charge rate.

Also stories about the Fairbanks Morse 2 stroke, opposed piston diesels. And those guys sailed those tiny boats all around the world.

And, no, he would not smelt batteries. Too much work for too little return.

Froogal
01-14-2023, 10:06 AM
Just sell them for scrap $ and buy/trade for lead.... I mean, really. <My earlier post was intended sarcasm, purple font didn't take>

My thoughts exactly. That junk battery is worth about $10. You won't get $10 worth of lead out of it.

gunther
01-14-2023, 10:12 AM
The other problem that hasn't been mentioned is that about 80 % of a battery's weight is two varieties of lead oxide. You don't have enough heat to "smelt" either variety. Both are TOXIC. Sell the batteries and develop other sources for your lead supply. Live longer and prosper!

3rdTennCoC
01-14-2023, 10:44 AM
For all who say get scrap yard lead or other safer sources, being near Chicago there are not many sources that will willingly sell lead, aside from ordering stuff online which can get difficult for me (poor student) so forgive me for tempting the fates of trying to find what I can. I have yet to find a reliable source for lead.

243winxb
01-14-2023, 11:11 AM
Having tried batteries, years ago. Forget it. Not much lead in there.

The other elements are present in trace amounts and can vary from one product to another. Bullet leads analyzed from CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester have contained up to 0.42 percent arsenic, 6.8 percent antimony, 2.5 percent tin, 0.2 percent bismuth, 0.22 percent copper, 0.031 percent silver, and 0.011 percent cadmium. The wide ranges in concentrations of all of these elements within sources provide for thousands of distinguishable melts of bullet lead at any one time.
The composition of a molten pot of battery lead can change because of volatilization of selected elements, segregation during solidification, as well as other factors (Schmitt et al. 1989). However, in experimental studies of bullet lead ingots, no compositional variations have been observed.

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?p=AONE&u=googlescholar&id=GALE|A137921512&v=2.1&it=r&sid=googleScholar&asid=52df183f

City of Vernon smelter Background
The input of the Vernon smelter is spent automotive batteries. Its output is purified lead for the manufacture of
new batteries; plastic for non-food uses and neutralized sulfuric acid from which fertilizers and other
commodities are manufactured. From start to finish, little is wasted. In between is a gritty manufacturing
operation that involves handling TOXIC and CORROSIVE materials.

Closed- Former Exide Facility at 2700 South Indiana Avenue, Vernon, CA.

GregLaROCHE
01-14-2023, 11:40 AM
I remember when people used to steal car batteries to sell for scrap value. Now they have moved on to catalytic converters.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-14-2023, 12:28 PM
For all who say get scrap yard lead or other safer sources, being near Chicago there are not many sources that will willingly sell lead, aside from ordering stuff online which can get difficult for me (poor student) so forgive me for tempting the fates of trying to find what I can. I have yet to find a reliable source for lead.
It's true that scrap lead is getting harder to find, but it's still out there. I can't believe Chicago has dried up. I suggest just buy what you need for now from castboolits sources here and keep putting out the word with your friends and acquaintances, and sooner or later (maybe a few years), people will be coming to you, saying they have some BIG stash of Lead for you.

Recycling prices for used Car Batteries are higher than the value of the content of Lead, even if it wasn't dangerous to melt them, you'll be able to buy more boolit Lead from selling car batteries, then from melting them.

Good Luck

mdi
01-14-2023, 01:51 PM
No matter how many threads are provided to document that it is dangerous, produces little return, and there are better things to use, some folks just have gotta test the electric fence anyway.

Yep. A whole bunch of chemists can testify to the toxicity fumes from melting battery lead, but someone will do it anyway. Besides there ain't much lead in batteries manufactured in the last 15-20 years (Many just have "grids" resembling 1/4" hardware cloth).

JSnover
01-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Scrap lead might have been a primary source for casting but it was never the only source, a lot of us are just offended because The Good Old Days are gone.
Hit the Rotometals link up at the top of the page, or buy lead from other members. It may cost more than you want to spend but it's clean, safe, ready to use and you get a known quantity instead of being disappointed by how little lead came out of those batteries after all that work. Plus I don't know if I'd want raw battery lead in my bottom pour Lee.
Ain't worth it.

schutzen-jager
01-14-2023, 02:11 PM
in my state a large amount of older large cities have received over a billion dollars in federal [ tax payer ] funding to have lead water supply pipes replaced - contractors are selling the removed lead pipes to scrap yards + metal recyclers adding to the supply -

Brassmonkey
01-14-2023, 02:14 PM
I would spend that time trying to make some side money rather than tearing batteries apart. that is filthy nasty work. I did it once just to do it never again. I didn't even bother melting them down. I just wanted a better lead price from the scrap yard instead of battery price, now I just make sure they aren't dry when I take them in. Lol.

super6
01-14-2023, 03:16 PM
I went after the red lead oxide on the last battery I cracked apart, Not much lead, The red lead oxide makes for some fine sparks with styfanate. All will have adverse effects on your health. Think primers..

jdgabbard
01-14-2023, 04:19 PM
Not really anything other than what has been mentioned before... But, why risk it?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand trying to find creative / new ways to obtain lead. EVERYONE tries to think of the next way they can get a decent score. Especially when the spot price on lead is about $1/lb, and everyone sells it for $2-3/lb for various scrap forms that we have no way of knowing the alloy of. I'm reminded of this every time I go to the marketplace sub-forum here. But some rewards are just not worth the risk, period. Or as my old man used to say, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Consider the same logic for anything in life and you'll live a lot longer, or at least happier life. I once decided to try and use chisel and mallet while holding a piece of wood and the chisel in the same hand rather than using my wood vise. That mistake cost me an evening in the ER, 11 stitches, a $3500 ER bill, a week's worth of work product, partial loss of feeling in my finger, a notable loss of strength in that finger, and a scare that constantly gives me problems. And for what did I lose all of this? A little expediency??? Like I said, some rewards are not worth the risk.

It's up to you. I on the other hand would like to stay above the dirt a little longer... But if you're going to do it have a friend video tape it and post it on YouTube so that others learn from whatever mistakes you make. Who knows, it might bring some closure to this topic....

405grain
01-14-2023, 05:05 PM
There are other better sources for lead: lead isotope containers, lead dental scrap, lead roof sheathing, lead tire weights (when you can find them), lead diving belts, lead boat ballast, etc. Melting down batteries isn't a very good idea. Ever notice how, in every post-apocalyptic science fiction movies ever made, where the whole Earth has been converted into a toxic war mongering homeless camp, you never see anyone melting down car batteries for their bullets? That's because even in a Road Warrior type scenario it's still a bad idea. Just the cadmium alone; if you breath in cadmium fumes it's going to be a race between pancreatic cancer and the brain tumor to see which one gets you first. Just don't do it. There's lots of better, safer, and more abundant sources.

3rdTennCoC
01-14-2023, 05:34 PM
I'm sure Chicago hasn't dried up yet more just no one want the liability of selling it to someone who isn't a recycling company. This was a thiugh since I had them on hand. Unfortunately I'm not as in the loop as others here on sources for scrap. Who are those here known to sell lead? I need a bit of everything, pure, #2, lino and such

ShooterAZ
01-14-2023, 05:50 PM
I'm sure Chicago hasn't dried up yet more just no one want the liability of selling it to someone who isn't a recycling company. This was a thiugh since I had them on hand. Unfortunately I'm not as in the loop as others here on sources for scrap. Who are those here known to sell lead? I need a bit of everything, pure, #2, lino and such

Rotometals is a site sponsor, and is great to deal with. Also there are several members here selling lead on a regular basis, check the Swappin' & Sellin' forum from time to time.

https://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

TheCaptain is another source on this site, might shoot her a PM to see what she has.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?9216-TheCaptain

Hope this helps...

Froogal
01-14-2023, 05:53 PM
Scrap lead might have been a primary source for casting but it was never the only source, a lot of us are just offended because The Good Old Days are gone.
Hit the Rotometals link up at the top of the page, or buy lead from other members. It may cost more than you want to spend but it's clean, safe, ready to use and you get a known quantity instead of being disappointed by how little lead came out of those batteries after all that work. Plus I don't know if I'd want raw battery lead in my bottom pour Lee.
Ain't worth it.

At one time I spent considerable time trying to scrounge up scrap lead, only to come back home pretty much empty handed. Then I discovered Roto-Metals. At first glance, it seemed to be a costly way to go, but considering the price of gasoline burned up just to come home with nothing, it made more sense. 50 pounds gets free shipping, delivered right to my back door.

For what it's worth, the cost of buying bullets ready to load is about the same as casting my own with purchased lead. Maybe even cheaper considering the cost of the equipment needed for do-it-yourself bullet casting, but not near as much fun.

lightman
01-14-2023, 07:52 PM
I'll be another that says don't do it. Sell the batteries and buy lead from the for sale section on here.

WRideout
01-14-2023, 08:47 PM

If you look under the Swapping and Selling subforum, you are (as I understand it) currently allowed to post a "want to buy" thread. With another five posts under your belt, you will be authorized to post "want to sell" threads. Under the vendor sponsor heading, you might want to look up the vendor known as The Captain. I have not purchased from her, but she sells lead at a reasonable rate, with many positive comments from members here. Individual members are often willing to part with smaller quantities of the metals you are looking for.

Wayne

charlie b
01-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Yep, days have changed. Don't see much scrap lead around here anymore either. I tried some of the 'normal' sources but the ones I approached are required to give theirs to those dealers certified by their companies. I have been buying from Rotometal for several years now.

justindad
01-14-2023, 10:09 PM
The folks on this board telling you something is dangerous/lethal are the same folks who often scoff at the general public when folks say this-and-that is dangerous/poisonous/etc. These are not overly cautious, fearful people.
What about shooting guns makes you want to risk your life? If melting down battery lead is the only way that you can shoot, then don’t shoot. Better yet, get a job. I graduated with two majors in engineering and I worked a job.

john.k
01-14-2023, 10:54 PM
from what Ive heard ,the low maintenance /sealed lead acid batteries yield a useless mush ,not metallic lead suitable for casting............The only lead yield from low maintenance is to cut off the terminals and ,if you lift the tops ,the joiners ............dont melt the lot ,just clip off the solid lead.

3rdTennCoC
01-15-2023, 02:06 AM
Nice of you too assume I don't work. Seems to be a poor choice of words here mate.

3rdTennCoC
01-15-2023, 02:07 AM
I appriciate the input of those who sell, I will look into such sources. Buying bullets can be too pricey too. Lot of mine balls for the muskets seem to be quite high from where I look, upwards of 50 cents a ball

charlie b
01-15-2023, 09:05 AM
LOL. Yeah, several years ago I got a muzzle loader cause it would be 'cheap' to shoot. I could not cast at the time due to where I lived. I 'graduated' to paper patched bullets and found out they cost more than .223 loaded ammo. So, I ended up buying a .223. From your post and handle I will assume you are participating in Civil War stuff.

Understand the cost issues. If you have plenty of time on your hands and access to a LOT of batteries then the advice above about using just the terminals and connectors is reasonable. It will take a lot of time and you still have to find a way to responsibly dispose of the battery contents (dumping on ground is bad and pouring in sink is REALLY bad).

Froogal
01-15-2023, 11:10 AM
I fully understand the money issues. Not too many years ago I knew nothing about reloading, but that made no difference because I could not afford to even own a gun. A few years later I bought a used Marlin 30-30. It came with 1 and 1/2 boxes of ammo. I bought one more box, but only shot 4 rounds because I figured out each cartridge was worth 25 cents and that was simply way too expensive for just having fun.

BJung
01-15-2023, 12:40 PM
I retrieved lead from car batteries when I was in High School. That was 44 years ago and I'm still alive. As two others have said, there is not much lead in a battery despite its weight. I'm going to guess but from one large battery, you might get 5 lbs of lead. You get more lead from lead wheel weights. I'd suggest first asking the shooting range where you shoot at for some lead. Tell them it's for a new hobby. If that doesn't work, look up small shooting clubs and ask them. I've never met a bullet caster in any range I've shot at yet. There are weight limits by lead recyclers before them come in, so it isn't worth it for small clubs with small indoor ranges to call them. If the ground is dusty, be sure to wear a face mask and use a deep frying ladle to sift out most of the dirt and debri. There's no use carrying that stuff home.

WRideout
01-16-2023, 11:39 AM
Just a thought: If you have any kind of reloading stuff to trade (i.e. brass, dies, etc.) you could possibly work out a trade with someone on this forum for prepared boolits. Or Lead.

Wayne

jdgabbard
01-16-2023, 11:54 AM
Nobody has to tell me about making it work on a tight budget. Back when I started casting it was partially because I was poorer than dirt. And even then I had a hard time affording decent equipment. Resorting to making lube from toilet bowl wax and candles. Lead was measured by the boolit. And my smelting was done in a small Lee pot... Melting car batteries is still not worth it. I'd hazard a guess that even Rotometals could sell you enough castable alloy with $50-100 than you would see out of 20-30 car batteries. Throw in the health risks.... No thanks, not me.

3rdTennCoC
01-16-2023, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look into the other sources recommended, and snip off terminals as I see them

schutzen-jager
01-16-2023, 01:06 PM
I retrieved lead from car batteries when I was in High School. That was 44 years ago and I'm still alive. As two others have said, there is not much lead in a battery despite its weight. I'm going to guess but from one large battery, you might get 5 lbs of lead. You get more lead from lead wheel weights. I'd suggest first asking the shooting range where you shoot at for some lead. Tell them it's for a new hobby. If that doesn't work, look up small shooting clubs and ask them. I've never met a bullet caster in any range I've shot at yet. There are weight limits by lead recyclers before them come in, so it isn't worth it for small clubs with small indoor ranges to call them. If the ground is dusty, be sure to wear a face mask and use a deep frying ladle to sift out most of the dirt and debri. There's no use carrying that stuff home.

newer production batteries contain a much lesser percentage of lead than they did back then -

huntinlever
01-16-2023, 01:14 PM
Unless my math is wrong, shipped 45 pounds of known alloy (2:1 Pb/No.2) from Rotometals is $150. That's a total of 790 bullets for me (without taking into account dross losses etc.). That's a nominal $0.19 per bullet. More than worth it to me and I can't understand considering battery smelting at all.

jdgabbard
01-16-2023, 01:42 PM
Unless my math is wrong, shipped 45 pounds of known alloy (2:1 Pb/No.2) from Rotometals is $150. That's a total of 790 bullets for me (without taking into account dross losses etc.). That's a nominal $0.19 per bullet. More than worth it to me and I can't understand considering battery smelting at all.

There are actually a few better deals there too if you're willing to with lesser desired allows. I think they have 60lb Pigs of 99% available for something like $120 shipped.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2023, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=3rdTennCoC;5518208]Thanks guys, I'll look into the other sources recommended, /QUOTE]

Lead is still out there.

I've asked the Home Depot guys for Lead roof flashings kids have stomped down and ruined.
They've just given me a few over the years.

Also at estate sales, there's 'junk' in the garage that they don't figure is worth pricing. I snagged a coffee can of sinkers that way.
I've had neighbors that moved in from the coast and they've given me some of those big salt water sinkers about the size of an egg.
I found SCUBA diving weights at Goodwill for dollar each.
Whenever I get new tires, walking around in the parking lot always yields a few tire weights.

It's going out of style, but Plumbing supply houses should still sell the 5 pound ingots for pouring the Lead joints for cast Iron pipe.
They usually won't sell direct to the public, but any Plumbing contractor could get them for ya.
There's shotgun ranges that sometimes sell bags of reclaimed shot on the cheap.
Our scrap yards here can sell to the public. They sell it for about twice what they pay for it coming in.
Back when Lead scrap paid 10 cents a pound, I bought a lot of picked over, clean stuff for 25 cents a pound.

It's out there, you just need to get the word out, and sometimes it will come to you.

super6
01-16-2023, 02:35 PM
A lot of wheel weights end in dirt track racing cars. They try to balance the cars on the slopes! All the dirt track people get the lead. Just saying. Look around.

Wis Tom
01-19-2023, 11:47 PM
If you were closer than Tenn,(going by your name) I would give you some lead to help out, as you don't get much lead out of a battery. Hope you find some to make musket balls, and if you get close to Wis. ever, let me know. I know what being short on money for extras of shooting feels like. Take care.

hoodat
01-19-2023, 11:57 PM
If you use lead/acid battery scrap, and shoot someone with one of those bullets, you could very possibly kill them. jd

6mm win lee
01-20-2023, 12:18 AM
3rdTennCoC

You mention being near Chicago. That's a pretty big place. It is bound to have little Mom and Pop car repair shops, in not too good neighborhoods, that have stacks of old tires on the side of the building. Tires are a good sign there may be a rich vein of the mother lode wheel weights waiting to be mined for the right price or maybe even a smile with a open hand.

It worked for me a couple of times.

BamaNapper
01-20-2023, 04:38 PM
I'm cheap, and at one point had access to several old car batteries. I thought about giving it a try. I had no idea how to get started, so I checked out YouTube and found a video of a guy breaking down a battery to recover the lead. It looked like a nightmare, and when he was done he had a pitifully small amount of usable lead to show for it. It seems to me the battery yielded him less than 5 lbs of lead. Most definitely not worth the risk/effort.

As mentioned above, find some place you can mine a berm. My last trip to the pistol range berm, I spent an hour sifting and what I recovered netted me right at 300# of clean ingots. Berm at the rifle range was not worth the time.

whisler
01-20-2023, 08:36 PM
How much pure lead do you need and do you ever get near Cincinnati Oh. I would be glad to share?

john.k
01-20-2023, 08:46 PM
I keep batteries until I have over 1 ton (about 50 pickup/truck),then take them to the scrap yard ........I clip all the exposed lead before taking them..........you get a realistic rate for over 1 ton ,under you get the dopeheads rate.

Barry54
01-27-2023, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look into the other sources recommended, and snip off terminals as I see them

You could probably score a fair amount of wheel weights at a pull-a-part junkyard.

I would try truck shops too. Truck weights are bigger than automotive weights.

Old Two Wars
01-28-2023, 11:41 AM
If you have 45 pounds of lead multiply by 7000 grains and divide by bullet weight your going to cast in grains .1 Lb of lead is 7000÷bullit weight cast is70=100 bullets from 1Lb of lead hope this helps.

Old Two Wars
01-28-2023, 11:43 AM
Unless my math is wrong, shipped 45 pounds of known alloy (2:1 Pb/No.2) from Rotometals is $150. That's a total of 790 bullets for me (without taking into account dross losses etc.). That's a nominal $0.19 per bullet. More than worth it to me and I can't understand considering battery smelting at all. see my post belowhope it helps

huntinlever
01-28-2023, 03:32 PM
If you have 45 pounds of lead multiply by 7000 grains and divide by bullet weight your going to cast in grains .1 Lb of lead is 7000÷bullit weight cast is70=100 bullets from 1Lb of lead hope this helps.

Edit: Posted response to wrong thread, sorry. Yep, thanks, that's what I do. Buying 60 lbs at a shot gives me $0.17 per bullet.