PDA

View Full Version : Tiny desiccant bags

abunaitoo
01-11-2023, 03:22 AM
Three questions.
Those small bags the come in food, vitamins and other stuff.
1) Can they be rejuvenated???
2) if so, how?????
3) Can it be put into a powder bottle to help keep it dry???

Winger Ed.
01-11-2023, 04:03 AM
I've heard you can warm them in a oven and the water will evaporate back out.

You might also be able to just put rice in a plastic bag, punch holes in it with a needle and put it in a powder bottle.
It should work like when people put rice in a salt shaker to keep it from clumping in high humidity.

Also, if moisture affecting powder was a big problem,
I think we'd hear more about it or powder would come with desiccant bags in it.

Dio
01-11-2023, 06:42 AM
I've put them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Turning them over halfway through
Got to be carefully tho, some of the packages have melted.

pworley1
01-11-2023, 07:13 AM
I don't think damp powder is a problem n many places. I live in the south and most days in summer 75% humidity is a low day and I have never had an issue.

Land Owner
01-11-2023, 07:47 AM
They are for the elimination of moisture, or perhaps its "control", though I have never seen one moist and question whether they are of any value. Our packaging has gone through a warehouse or two or three, been trucked into and out of cold and warm weather, some at high altitude, some at sea level, in the air, and across the sea. You name it and not once have I seen one moist. That begins to beg the question of its usefulness...

I've got hundreds of them, big, small, rectangular, circular, fiber bag, plastic, etc. Been saving them for years! Pick them up in clothing, shipping boxes, Appliance Centers, Department stores, etc. Don't use them, though I'm certain they can be rejuvenated. Try low heat in the toaster oven used for PC'ing boolits with care not to melt the packaging, or just put it all in a ceramic bowl.

I would NOT put them in with the smokeless powder. Concentrating moisture at the desiccant bag would tend to put the powder in that vicinity at risk of greater moisture and create a "moisture gradient" throughout the powder container, such that the powder consistency might become suspect.

dale2242
01-11-2023, 07:48 AM
Keep the lids on your powder containers tightly sealed.
Nothing else needed.

Newboy
01-11-2023, 07:50 AM
Most of the cautions I see concerning smokeless powder storage concern temperature and not humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Silvercreek Farmer
01-11-2023, 08:01 AM
Had 2-3 large ones, maybe a cup of beads each, that I nuked on low occasionally and kept in the safe. Probably not worth the effort. Golden rod is much easier.

Wayne Smith
01-11-2023, 09:07 AM
Guys, ball powders at least are made in, and kept stable in - water!

gunther
01-11-2023, 09:33 AM
Like dale2242 said, keep the powder can lids tightly closed, that is not a good application for this stuff. A convection oven, set at around 150 degrees F for an hour or two, will do pretty well to get the moisture out of the packets.

Handloader109
01-11-2023, 10:15 AM
Not for powder, but they do absorb moisture. I have several that I put in my safe. Been there a year or so, I've a new dryer for my 3dprinter filament and I dropped them into it to see what humidity reading I can get and see if they could be dried. Yep. It took a few hours at 180f ,but humidity went from in the 60s to the 20s. Back in the safe....oven will work too.low temperature

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

WRideout
01-11-2023, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't know about reusing them; I just eat them. That warning on the package is stupid.
Wayne

Electrod47
01-11-2023, 10:52 AM
You can buy 100 count bags (same size) with color crystals to rejuvenate on Amazon for about 10.00= .10 cents ea
I buy a couple bags annual for ammo and primer protection.

LIMPINGJ
01-11-2023, 11:15 AM
Like Wayne said, Hercules powder had an add in the magazines showing a original batch of Bullseye powder that was kept in a bottle of water the add said. It was taken out occasionally dried and tested. They claimed it tested as good as new powder and the original sample was about 100 years old when the add came out.

poppy42
01-11-2023, 12:30 PM
Keep the lids on your powder containers tightly sealed.
Nothing else needed.
^^^^^ this!

Silvercreek Farmer
01-11-2023, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't know about reusing them; I just eat them. That warning on the package is stupid.
Wayne

Crunchy!

legend 550
01-11-2023, 01:26 PM
I have 275 gram and 50 gram silica gel dry packs. I put them with my primers and primed cases in ammo cans. Powder just keep the lid on tight.

GregLaROCHE
01-11-2023, 01:45 PM
I always heard you could put them in the oven to rejuvenate them, but why bother. They are really cheap by the hundreds on EBay.

Beerd
01-11-2023, 01:50 PM
Wayne

Crunchy!

and less filling

ulav8r
01-12-2023, 01:47 AM
After rejuvenating a bunch, an empty powder bottle would be good for storing the ones you do not want to use right away.

Shopdog
01-12-2023, 06:22 AM
Like Wayne said, Hercules powder had an add in the magazines showing a original batch of Bullseye powder that was kept in a bottle of water the add said. It was taken out occasionally dried and tested. They claimed it tested as good as new powder and the original sample was about 100 years old when the add came out.

Got a framed print of this Bullseye ad hanging in our shop bathroom.

Cris T
01-13-2023, 11:58 AM
I have been using them for years. Bought a big bag of them from China for about 3 cents apiece. Easy to rejuvenate. Youtube has many videos on how to.
I use them in powder coating powder.

ChuckO
01-13-2023, 12:51 PM
I keep some in a metal ammo can along with the bags of powder coating materials. This seems to make PC work better for shake N bake bullet coating. It keeps the relative humidity down to about 20% during the powder storage.

I rejuvenate the silica gel by placing the extra bags on the top of the toaster oven while cooking the PC on the bullets.

Land Owner
01-14-2023, 08:13 AM
^^^ great idea ^^^

robg
01-17-2023, 12:47 PM
its very wet here<twinned with atlantis> i use them in my gun cabinets .they can be redried on a radiator .

Land Owner
01-18-2023, 07:14 AM
^^^ daily? weekly? ^^^

on what schedule do you dry them?

if a packet is "wet" (how do you know) is that not already too late?