PDA

View Full Version : Hoe cakes in the waffle iron, feasible?

hc18flyer
01-10-2023, 06:07 PM
Wifey's not home tonight, so I want to give this a try? Deer steaks and hoe cakes, works for me! Plan to fry a little bacon to grease my waffle maker with. Or I may just fry my 'hot water cornbread' in the waffle maker? Any thoughts? hc18flyer

rockrat
01-10-2023, 06:37 PM
It sounds good though!!

Winger Ed.
01-10-2023, 06:59 PM
If it involves bacon grease-- ya know it'll be good.

hc18flyer
01-10-2023, 07:26 PM
If it involves bacon grease-- ya know it'll be good.

That's what I was thinkin!

01-10-2023, 07:38 PM
Winger Ed. & hc18flyer. -- Great minds think alike.

Winger Ed.
01-10-2023, 08:08 PM
Winger Ed. & hc18flyer. -- Great minds think alike.

My Southern Belle Grandma thought it was its own food group and required with every meal.

Between bacon grease, real butter, and Crisco--- you can cook anything.

recumbent
01-10-2023, 08:36 PM
I cook eggs in my waffle maker.

SciFiJim
01-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Since I like the crust on cornbread best, I often make it in the waffle iron. That way I get lots of crunch crust.

hc18flyer
01-10-2023, 10:48 PM
I ended up making the hot water cornbread. I could have cooked it longer. I will keep trying. I love cornbread with butter and honey. At deer camp we pair the hot water cornbread with stew, made a with canned deer. It don't get no better! hc18flyer

Winger Ed.
01-10-2023, 11:11 PM
. It don't get no better! hc18flyer

I took a life long friend hunting in the Texas Hill Country several years back.
He was at about saturation for work related stress and after our first camp fire meal-
He relaxed, opened a beer, and said, "This is great........ I ain't never going back".

I never looked forward to going back to the city, but never needed as much convincing as he did that time.

BLAHUT
01-10-2023, 11:59 PM
Share you corn bread recipe ? Bacon Grease, Real Butter, Crisco, Is there another way to cook ????

Winger Ed.
01-11-2023, 12:11 AM
Is there another way to cook ????

I didn't think so until I ran into a few refugees that had come down here from those frozen,
unexplored, Northern territories of Not Texas where they have critters that will eat your horse.

You should see how they have defiled chili.
The best way I have reverse engineered their recipe for it is to combine and heat :
A can of cheap grocery store spaghetti sauce.
Dump it in a pot, then pour four cans water in with it, and cut up some hot dogs to swim around on the bottom.
But to their credit--- they don't put beans in it.

BLAHUT
01-11-2023, 12:28 AM
I didn't think so until I ran into a few refugees that had come down here from those frozen,
unexplored, Northern territories of Not Texas where they have critters that will eat your horse.

The best way I have reverse engineered their recipe for it is to combine and heat :
Dump it in a pot, then pour four cans water in with it, and cut up some hot dogs to swim around on the bottom.

There are some people here that will eat the horse. Beans are just filler makes it so all last longer

dverna
01-11-2023, 11:49 AM
I learn so much on this site. Had never heard of Hoe cakes so Google to the rescue.

They sound good to me!!!! And I am dumb transplanted Canadian living in Northern MI!

I worked in Alabama for two years and got ejimacted, in real sweet tea (not the crap we get here) and southern pulled pork but somehow missed hoe cakes.

hc18flyer
01-11-2023, 12:01 PM
Don, Ed, and others, Let's work out an awesome 'Hoe Cakes' recipe! Try some, adapt what we need to and share the results. I have a buttermilk one I am trying next. hc18flyer

gwpercle
01-11-2023, 12:14 PM
I cook eggs in my waffle maker.

And I thought I had heard everything !

I've been involved in cooking since I could stir a pot ... and I've never heard anyone say ...

" I cook eggs in a waffle iron " ...
Gary

Soundguy
01-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Works good for me.

Winger Ed.
01-11-2023, 12:42 PM
but somehow missed hoe cakes.

Yawl probably miss out on making pancakes with Jiffy corn bread mix* and cheese grits too.
No wonder people up there are cranky all the time.:bigsmyl2:

*also requires bacon grease rather than salad oil.

MaryB
01-11-2023, 01:22 PM

You left out dump the mess over spaghetti noodles... BLECH

I just made a batch of chili

Hand chopped chuck trimmed of all silver skin/ gristle/most of the fat(use fat to to render then brown the meat!)
Mild chili powder to taste, I use around 1/4 cup per pound
chopped onion
beef base
beer
my own blend of HOT chili powder

that's it... no corn, no tomato, no other weird veg and NO BEANS

Winger Ed.
01-11-2023, 01:32 PM

You're my hero.
Every native born redneck in Texas would be proud to eat your chili.

BLAHUT
01-11-2023, 02:39 PM
You left out dump the mess over spaghetti noodles... BLECH

I just made a batch of chili

Hand chopped chuck trimmed of all silver skin/ gristle/most of the fat(use fat to to render then brown the meat!)
Mild chili powder to taste, I use around 1/4 cup per pound
chopped onion
beef base
beer
my own blend of HOT chili powder

So just meat and gravy that's good too

GregLaROCHE
01-11-2023, 03:35 PM
Who says you can’t smell or taste things over the internet? You guys are making me really hungry!

jdfoxinc
01-12-2023, 09:33 AM
Fried corn bread

1 1/2 cups of plain corn meal (preferably
from a North Carolina mill), unsifted
1/4 cup of all purpose flour, sifted
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon black pepper (or more)
1/2 cup milk
water

I add 1 egg and 1 tsp baking powder for a more pancake like consistency. Of course fried In bacon grease.

yeahbub
01-12-2023, 01:11 PM
I like chilli and the many variations of it, even that Cincinnati concoction, but I never ciould figure the bean thing. What in the world are THEY doing in there? I once ran into another heresy, chilli with lots and lots of sugar in it. I wasn't sure what I was consuming and when I asked, I was told it has to be in there, it's not possible to eat chilli without lots of sugar in it. . . . Nice folks, but I came away realizing they reeeaallly needed to get out more.

Hey, what's this "hot water cornbread"? I've not heard that term before. . . . Maybe I need to get out more.

Winger Ed.
01-12-2023, 01:16 PM
Hey, what's this "hot water cornbread"? I've not heard that term before. . . . Maybe I need to get out more.

You probably would recognize it as a 'hush puppy'.(It's a cool story on how those were 'invented')

They're cornmeal, salt, boiling water, a bump of bacon grease, salt, and a spoon of sugar.
Mold it into a patty or ball, then deep fried.

jaysouth
01-13-2023, 02:04 AM
Several years ago, my daughter had a summer job as a uniformed docent at Mt Vernon, the home of George Washington. Her job was to wear a period correct 1760s dress and cook hoe cakes on a chopping hoe heated in a wood fire. Field hands would carry a cornmeal cake mix in a leather bag and mix with water to form a dough. A chopping hoe would be heated in a fire. When hot enough, dough would be dropped on the hoe blade to cook. The finished product was a "hoe cake".

yeahbub
01-13-2023, 01:54 PM
I see. When I get a need for fried fish, few things go better with it than hot hush puppies and good cole slaw. Alright, but why boiling water I wonder? Wouldn't tap water do the job or does this have something to do with making the constsency correct?

owejia
01-13-2023, 02:09 PM
We always referred to them as Johnny cakes. When Johnny was in the Civil War, fried corn meal cakes, made with water was a staple or so have been told.

Winger Ed.
01-13-2023, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't tap water do the job or does this have something to do with making the constsency correct?

I never tried it with corn meal, but it makes a difference for things like tortillas made with flour.
I'm not sure why, it just does.

I guess it works like trying to make oatmeal or grits in cold water.

MaryB
01-14-2023, 01:57 PM
Hot water helps hydrate the corn meal negating some of the gritty texture.

yeahbub
01-17-2023, 01:43 PM
That does make sense. Probably makes it easier to guess-timate how it's going to turn out after baking. When making plain cornbread, I've taken to generously adding unsweetened apple sauce to the batter so it's moist and not so crumbly that it needs a hazardous material warning. Inadvertantly inhaling the crumbs of drrryyyy corn bread will put me in serious coughing fits.

hc18flyer
01-18-2023, 08:40 AM
Hot water helps hydrate the corn meal negating some of the gritty texture.

Boiling water is used to make the 'Hot water cornbread that is fried, dried rather than baked. Awesome at camp!