PDA

View Full Version : Starting my first batch soon

Nightwing_Actual
01-08-2023, 07:56 PM
I am going to try my first batch probably next weekend, that being said I need some tips.

I have pure lead that I got from a plumber buddy of mine- can I just use that or should I be adding stuff. I am going to be making boolits for a 45LC to start

Any other helpful info for a first timer is welcome!

Digital Dan
01-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Most all the tips you need are found here:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Would be useful to add some tin to your mix and if you can find any, a bit of clip on wheel weight.

Nightwing_Actual
01-08-2023, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the link- I’ll browse that

Winger Ed.
01-08-2023, 11:26 PM
If you can get some 95/5 solder from him to mix into the Lead, it will flow and fill out the mold better.
It doesn't take much, just a few percent by weight.

If you don't have one already, I'd get a Lyman cast bullet book.
There's a lot of information in the front end of it that will short cut your learning curve.

WRideout
01-09-2023, 05:56 PM
I consider it my sacred duty to help anyone, anywhere who wants to learn how to cast boolits. If you will PM me your postal address, I would be glad to send you some clip on wheelweight ingots to harden up your pure lead, free gratis. It won't take much; maybe a few ounces depending on how big your pot is. I can also throw in a bit of tin from smelted down pewter.

I have the opposite problem; now that I shoot muzzle loaders more, I am trying to find sources of pure lead; hard lead it seems is everywhere.

Wayne

charlie b
01-09-2023, 10:10 PM
Maybe 'everywhere' for you but here almost any lead is hard to find. :)

GregLaROCHE
01-10-2023, 02:50 AM
Adding some tin will make fill out much easier. You should take advantage of WRideout’s offer.

Welcome to the addiction and good luck.

William Yanda
01-10-2023, 08:55 AM
It would be helpful to know the intended use, pistol, rifle, shotgun?

Larry Gibson
01-10-2023, 09:18 AM
Most all the tips you need are found here:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Would be useful to add some tin to your mix and if you can find any, a bit of clip on wheel weight.

Not only that site but you can download Lyman's #3 Cast Bullet Handbook from this site. You'll want to do more than "browse". You'll want to read and study the first section articles on how to mix alloys and cast bullets. While casting useful bullets isn't really that difficult it does take some learning. With a basic knowledge learned from those two sources the answers to your questions on this forum will make more sense and you progress much faster. That is if you want to avoid the usual frustration of new casters.

Welcome to the forum.

LenH
01-13-2023, 09:00 AM
Fit is King all else is secondary. Having said that Listen to Larry Gibson, he has a wealth of knowledge. The Lyman cast bullet handbook
is a great source of information.

Welcome to the forum and the rabbit hole that is casting.

01-14-2023, 12:03 AM
where can one find that Handbook here to download? I couldn’t find it. Thanks for any help.

Not only that site but you can download Lyman's #3 Cast Bullet Handbook from this site. You'll want to do more than "browse". You'll want to read and study the first section articles on how to mix alloys and cast bullets. While casting useful bullets isn't really that difficult it does take some learning. With a basic knowledge learned from those two sources the answers to your questions on this forum will make more sense and you progress much faster. That is if you want to avoid the usual frustration of new casters.

Welcome to the forum.