PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about a Lyman 55 measure?

Martin Luber
01-07-2023, 06:00 PM
I'm waiting for some parts for mine but I usually use a few RCBS jobs for rifle and a Lee disc for pistol
Thanks for your thoughts

Winger Ed.
01-07-2023, 07:25 PM
I don't know about great, but it works and is just another way to do a rotating volume measure/dropper.

farmbif
01-07-2023, 07:49 PM
they throw very consistent loads with quite a few powders. for me it was a big step up from lee scoops to a 55. if you take care of it and dont bugger up the pins on the slides and prevent the slides from getting corroded or sticking. it will last forever. ive resurrected old ones and still have and use 2 of them, a very old orange one and a newer grey one. not as accurate for troublesome powders as a belding and mull but pretty close.
oh yeah, I need to add that it can be used mounted on a table or in a turret press or in a press on top of a powder through expander die.
for me it is a very versatile powder measure that just plain works.

Maven
01-07-2023, 07:57 PM
If you keep a notebook of settings for the propellants you use, the #55 is fairly easy to set up and then throw accurate charges.

abunaitoo
01-08-2023, 03:36 PM
To me, the knocker is the key.
Haven't seen it on any other powder measure.

jonp
01-08-2023, 04:00 PM
No power needed and with the right powder are pretty good. Take to the hunting camp, clamp to the edge of the table and start reloading. It's why I have one and a set of dippers at my camp including Lee Whack A Moles for the calibers I reload most and a beam scale. Other than that I've found mine kinda finicky with the powders it will run on a consistent basis. Flakes will get a bunch of crunch, ball flows like water.

recumbent
01-08-2023, 08:53 PM
I've had mine since 1982 still works great. Once a year or so I take it apart and clean it good.

atr
01-08-2023, 08:59 PM
it throws consistent loads and is easy to adjust, also the setting/charge tables that come with it are pretty accurate so you can zero in on a load pretty quickly and without a lot of adjusting

john.k
01-08-2023, 09:03 PM
Its like having a steam lawnmower......you dont need one,but its nice to have one.

metricmonkeywrench
01-08-2023, 10:27 PM
It’s in my regular rotation for dispensing needs, drops constantly and accurately for me. As others stated the knocker I’d the key to settle the charge in the hopper. I kind of get the same effect in the clink-clink of the RCBS. I also find it way faster to tune in to a load than my other measures.

The only downside is that the drop tubes that I have are too small for a good fit for .45acp use and I am not really a fan of the clamp system it has. I do have the threaded drop tube and the die sized bushing and may someday mount it to one of the standard bench mount dispenser arms.

Willbird
01-09-2023, 12:32 PM
If you keep a notebook of settings for the propellants you use, the #55 is fairly easy to set up and then throw accurate charges.

As early as I can remember my dad one and I still have it. I have a uniflow as well and I use either or and do really see either as clearly superior in any way. There is ONE thing to watch out with the 55, just make sure you never accidentally adjust the smaller slides so that they overhang the larger ones.

megasupermagnum
01-09-2023, 11:09 PM
I honestly have no idea. I think they are the most rinky dink, rube goldberg nonsense I ever saw. They put numbers on there to make you feel good, but they don't really mean anything since there are two adjustments. If you adjust one, it changes the number scale so it is no longer accurate.

It works, that's about the best thing I can say about it. It is fairly accurate. It is the worst with stick rifle powders, almost unusable with IMR 3031. It also hates ball powders which get in the barrel and make it hard to move. The knocker sure didn't help mine at all.

Forget the Lyman 55. Maybe they were good in the far past, but today you would just be throwing your money away. The RCBS Uniflow is nicer in almost every way. I don't own a Harrell's, but there's a reason they are popular for extreme accuracy. I don't own a Hornady either, they don't have a great reputation for accuracy, but they should at least be as good as a Lyman 55, and they are way nicer to use. They even offer replacement inserts so you don't have to adjust them constantly when switching calibers. I do own the Lee deluxe PPM and I think it's the best out there today for non-benchrest level stuff. The drums are cheap and quick to change. They are so incredibly smooth. Even IMR 3031 goes through a Lee PPM like butter. The best part is the accuracy. I have yet to see anything more accurate than the Lee. Not that the Lyman 55 is horrible, but you are looking at plus or minus .4 grains with most flake powders like Unique with one. The Lee brings that down to about .2 grains max, and most charges are within .1 grain.

414gates
01-09-2023, 11:38 PM
It can dispense well over 100 grains of powder at a time. Good for Ultra Mags.

The powder hopper is a standard size of perspex, so I replaced both mine with 12 inch tubes.

I have two orange ones, one with a cast iron knocker. I still occasionally scan eBay for another one like that.

HWooldridge
01-09-2023, 11:47 PM
I got a #55 for cheap, so I set it up next to my RCBS measure. The #55 is very consistent with certain powders, like Reloder 7, 2400 and 231. Since I commonly use those powders, it was a no-brainer for me to set up the Lyman for some loads and use the other one as necessary.

GregLaROCHE
01-10-2023, 01:17 AM
They just work well most of the time, even with BP, but don’t leave any in when you are done.

jetinteriorguy
01-10-2023, 08:09 AM
I have two of them and never use them. My favorite is the Lee deluxe PPM. It’s simple, accurate, reasonably priced, and the fact it takes the cheap plastic drums is great. I just work up loads with the standard drum, then match that load in a plastic drum and never have to mess with it for your favorite load again.

richhodg66
01-10-2023, 08:48 AM
I got a little Iver Johnson .32 top break a few years ago and wanted to load for it, had all the stuff. Inquired on here and everybody told me I'd need to make a dipper for charges that small, but I figured I'd try first. Just FYI, a Lyman 55 will throw a 1.1 charge of Bullseye dead on accurate all day long.

It's the best all around powder measure out there, as far as I'm concerned. Seems some are too dense to figure one out and that's OK, I suppose scoops are for guys like that.

Char-Gar
01-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Bought my first one in 1959 and now have 11. They are set and forget measures for my most used pistol powder charges. They throw very accurate charges and last forever. Small powder drop tubes are worthless. I open them up with the lathe. I have a weight that goes in them and provides slight compression to the powder column. Really helps with consistency.

At one time Lyman furnished a chart of setting for various weights of powders. This chart really is quite accurate but should be checked on a scale and might need small tweaking. Lyman no longer furnishes this chart for good reason I suppose. i.e. Todays reloaders do some really stupid things.

papajim
01-10-2023, 10:37 AM
To me, the knocker is the key.
Haven't seen it on any other powder measure.

Agree! Measuring knockers is a good thing.

jaguarxk120
01-10-2023, 10:46 AM
How often do you see someone asking about the Lyman 55 not doing what it is designed to do?
Leaking powder, cutting powder grains, not setting right?
They do what they do charge after charge, and have been doing it for many years.

sundog
01-10-2023, 01:17 PM
I have but one, a No. 5 Ideal. It's my 'go to' for small to medium charges of flake powder, for sure! And usable/used for other powders, too, even though my day-to-day work horse is an RCBS Uniflow.

btw, operation of the slides is not a big deal.

pworley1
01-10-2023, 01:59 PM
They just keep on working.

Baltimoreed
01-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Had one but like the rcbs measures much better. The micrometer adjustment screw is great for load development. I have used Dillon 450 measures on my Lyman turret presses but have upgraded to 550 measures for pistol ammo. Very consistent throws.

megasupermagnum
01-10-2023, 08:48 PM
I got a little Iver Johnson .32 top break a few years ago and wanted to load for it, had all the stuff. Inquired on here and everybody told me I'd need to make a dipper for charges that small, but I figured I'd try first. Just FYI, a Lyman 55 will throw a 1.1 charge of Bullseye dead on accurate all day long.

It's the best all around powder measure out there, as far as I'm concerned. Seems some are too dense to figure one out and that's OK, I suppose scoops are for guys like that.

Why in the world would anyone be considered dense for questioning why a Lyman 55 needs 4 knobs, one which looks just like the rest, but releases the barrel creating a huge problem, two for adjustment, and a clacker to top it all off? All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee. Sure, maybe it is good enough for bullseye powder, what isn't? Put some Unique in there, then compare to any other powder measure out there.

megasupermagnum
01-10-2023, 08:50 PM
How often do you see someone asking about the Lyman 55 not doing what it is designed to do?
They do what they do charge after charge, and have been doing it for many years.

All the time. They leak like a sieve, the settings mean nothing, and there is no worse powder measure out there for cutting grains, not even close.

crandall crank
01-10-2023, 09:44 PM
I use it or a RCBS Uni-flow. The Lyman 55 is a work horse and does not vary. It's easy to set up, doesn't wander or drift....what's not to love about it.

414gates
01-11-2023, 02:03 AM
All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee.

If you're taking a measure that can dispense 150 grains, and using it for 4 grains while expecting a tenth of a grain consistency, you're using the wrong tool.

All volumetric measures can dispense consistent weights of ball powder. So could a measuring spoon.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, the charges will never be thrown identical from any volumetric measure, which is what powder tricklers are for.

You drop one grain under and trickle up. That silly knocker on the side - it settles the extruded powder in the barrel, which helps to drop 100 grains repeatedly to within 1 grain.

There are measures designed to dispense small powder charges. The reason why the Little Dandy, Uniflow and Hornady have a small pistol rotor in them. Why Lee has an Autodisk. To dispense small charges.

You will have exactly the same problems when you try to dispense small powder charges from a Hornady rifle rotor.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, not many measures drop over 100 grains.

If you're using a Lyman 55 for pistol powders, you're using a semi to move the mower from your garage to the lawn.

What I like most about my old 55 is the cast iron body and the brass rotor.

GregLaROCHE
01-11-2023, 12:49 PM
The little piece that funnels the powder to the center is a good addition.

megasupermagnum
01-11-2023, 01:39 PM
If you're taking a measure that can dispense 150 grains, and using it for 4 grains while expecting a tenth of a grain consistency, you're using the wrong tool.

All volumetric measures can dispense consistent weights of ball powder. So could a measuring spoon.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, the charges will never be thrown identical from any volumetric measure, which is what powder tricklers are for.

You drop one grain under and trickle up. That silly knocker on the side - it settles the extruded powder in the barrel, which helps to drop 100 grains repeatedly to within 1 grain.

There are measures designed to dispense small powder charges. The reason why the Little Dandy, Uniflow and Hornady have a small pistol rotor in them. Why Lee has an Autodisk. To dispense small charges.

You will have exactly the same problems when you try to dispense small powder charges from a Hornady rifle rotor.

When dispensing larger quantities of extruded powder, not many measures drop over 100 grains.

If you're using a Lyman 55 for pistol powders, you're using a semi to move the mower from your garage to the lawn.

What I like most about my old 55 is the cast iron body and the brass rotor.

That's bizarre considering the Lyman 55 is horrible with stick powders, easily the worst powder measure there is. Lyman 55 is just a crunch box.

Walks
01-11-2023, 01:47 PM
I've used one since the early 1960's. Loaded 1.1gr of Bullseye for .32S&W up to 100+grs of IMR powder for .416 Rigby. Granted it feeds flake and ball powder more accurately then stick powder, but I throw light charges and finish with a trickler for rifle cases anyway.

stubshaft
01-11-2023, 03:33 PM
I have a couple of them and they kinda work, although my Redding and Harrels have them beat hands down.

shooter bob
01-11-2023, 04:25 PM
Char-gar the weight you have on your powder measure what is the weight made of. Did you make it . And can you post more pictures please.I’m very interested in this.Thanks Bob

megasupermagnum
01-11-2023, 09:10 PM
Nobody in this thread has given a single example of what the Lyman 55 does better than any other powder measure.

Alferd Packer
01-12-2023, 12:52 AM
The 55 is better than some, but no worse.
It has dispensed all my powders, pistol and rifle with repetitious accuracy.
The naysayers are just being contrary because they can.
I also have Lee, Hornady and RCBS as well as scoops both homemade and store bought.
The 55 always works and will deliver 1.1 grs of bullseye for my vintage 32s as well.
I pass on the digital.A bad experience with Lyman and RCBS digital left me in mistrust .
I stay mechanical and verify.

414gates
01-12-2023, 04:04 AM
Nobody in this thread has given a single example of what the Lyman 55 does better than any other powder measure.

It exudes class and an aura of a more civilised era much better than any other powder measure.

papajim
01-12-2023, 08:56 AM
The best thing about powder measures is the choices we have. Which cartridge is best? Favorite music? Perhaps Ford vs Chevy. Questions like this are a good thing cause they get us thinking. Years ago I aquired one in a auction lot, but sold the bits on ebay without ever using it. This thread makes me want another.

Char-Gar
01-12-2023, 09:14 AM
Char-gar the weight you have on your powder measure what is the weight made of. Did you make it . And can you post more pictures please.I’m very interested in this.Thanks Bob

The parts inside the hopper are aluminum and brass. The top weight is steel. There is a guy on Ebay that makes and sells these. I have one for the Lyman 55 and another for the RCBS Little Dandy. Just search "powder measure weight".

Char-Gar
01-12-2023, 09:17 AM

You seem to be on a mission to trash the Lyman 55. By now, we get it that you don't like them.

OS OK
01-12-2023, 09:45 AM

EXACTLY!

https://i.imgur.com/GjP8Avd.jpg

Larry Gibson
01-12-2023, 10:24 AM

It is better because it throws charges much more accurately than any other powder thrower I've used. I've been using 55s since '68. I also have used RCBS, Hornady, Midway, etc. throwers during that time and always end up going back to the 55s. I have 3 of them currently. With flake, ball and "short cut" extruded powders when using the knocker correctly there just isn't any other thrower that throws as accurately or as consistently as the 55. No, the 55 or any other thrower will throw very accurate charges of the longer extruded powders (old 4831, etc.) w/o crunching. The most accurate thrower for such long grain extruded powders is the inexpensive Lee Powder Thrower.

I've found the 55s to so consistent and accurate that I throw match and varmint charges of ball powders, H4895 and Varget with them along with other similar grain sized powders. Someday I may find another powder thrower to replace the 55s but I doubt I'll live that long.....

Willbird
01-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Why in the world would anyone be considered dense for questioning why a Lyman 55 needs 4 knobs, one which looks just like the rest, but releases the barrel creating a huge problem, two for adjustment, and a clacker to top it all off? All of that for a powder measure that is basically useless for half of the rifle powders out there, and it isn't even as accurate as something like a RCBS or Lee. Sure, maybe it is good enough for bullseye powder, what isn't? Put some Unique in there, then compare to any other powder measure out there.

Yet people used them their entire lifetime as their only powder measure and had no issues. And when they died somebody else went right on using it, maybe for their entire lifetime as well.

Bill

shooter bob
01-12-2023, 01:28 PM
Thanks char-gar I’m going to check them out 👍

doulos
01-13-2023, 12:41 AM
Not real crazy about the Lyman 55 I have. I dont find it hard to adjust. But it seems to bind with fine ball powders. Its real good with flake powders like Unique. But I will take my RCBS Uniflow over the 55 any day.

Willbird
01-13-2023, 12:05 PM
Not real crazy about the Lyman 55 I have. I dont find it hard to adjust. But it seems to bind with fine ball powders. Its real good with flake powders like Unique. But I will take my RCBS Uniflow over the 55 any day.

What I do not like about out the Uniflow is that it is a pain in the butt to switch drums, a uniflow devotee would own a couple of them I guess and leave large drum in one and small in the other.

HWooldridge
01-13-2023, 12:44 PM
What I do not like about out the Uniflow is that it is a pain in the butt to switch drums, a uniflow devotee would own a couple of them I guess and leave large drum in one and small in the other.

I have a Uniflow and don't see a problem with swapping the drums; I don't do it very often so no big deal. Granted, it would be more convenient with two frames but it doesn't take that long to change out.

ddeck22
01-15-2023, 08:57 AM
I got one in a lot of other items and it was good for the price :)

The knocker is a bit unique. I use it mainly for rifle powders, so it cuts kind of heavily. I have not used that many others, so not much to compare it against

John Guedry
01-15-2023, 11:21 AM
Love my 55, wouldn't trade it for anything.

GWS
01-15-2023, 06:56 PM

The new Uniflow 3 only has one drum. Same with the slightly older Quick-Change Uniflow model but with that one you could buy inserts separately.

https://i.postimg.cc/htrsskz9/IMG-3443.jpg

Lower insert is the old model (pre-quickchange). Upper one is the Uniflow 3 model. With the quickchange you could buy extra inserts....set them once for a load and just slide in a new insert (if you want) for each load. Least you have that option. You can always just have one insert and readjust it for each load from a load book like we used to do......or buy another p.m. So far I haven't seen separate Uniflow 3 inserts.....but I expect you can order the parts you want.

I did a review on THR a while back when the 3 came out.... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/uniflow-3-picture-review.871276/#post-11570541

imashooter2
01-15-2023, 07:55 PM
My Father got one when he started loading. Used it with complete satisfaction. When I started, I inherited it. I used it with satisfaction too. Then I got a couple Dillon presses. I couldn’t help but notice their measures were better. Then I traded into an RCBS measure, it was better too. Dad’s Lyman just sits now. I should sell it, but it was Dad's…

stubshaft
01-15-2023, 10:19 PM
I have a couple of Lyman 55's and find the adequate to load with using ball powders. For stick powders I much prefer my old Belding and Mull Visible measure.

Willbird
01-17-2023, 02:30 PM
The new Uniflow 3 only has one drum. Same with the slightly older Quick-Change Uniflow model but with that one you could buy inserts separately.

https://i.postimg.cc/htrsskz9/IMG-3443.jpg

Lower insert is the old model (pre-quickchange). Upper one is the Uniflow 3 model. With the quickchange you could buy extra inserts....set them once for a load and just slide in a new insert (if you want) for each load. Least you have that option. You can always just have one insert and readjust it for each load from a load book like we used to do......or buy another p.m. So far I haven't seen separate Uniflow 3 inserts.....but I expect you can order the parts you want.

I did a review on THR a while back when the 3 came out.... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/uniflow-3-picture-review.871276/#post-11570541

That IMHO is a worthwhile improvement :-).

jetinteriorguy
01-18-2023, 08:17 AM
Since there have been numerous complaints that the Lyman 55 cuts stick powders it makes me curious, why is that a problem? I’ve never understood what difference a few cut powders here and there could make.

fatnhappy
01-18-2023, 02:24 PM
I have a couple of them and they kinda work, although my Redding and Harrels have them beat hands down.

bingo.
I've had a bunch of measure pass through my hands for some reason. Hornady, redding, lyman black powder, belding and mull all went down the road.

I'm still using the RCBS with micrometer for extruded powders I'm going to trickle up, a little dandy for almost all handgun loads and my harrel.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52180312699_5325b2995b_c.jpg

uscra112
01-18-2023, 06:13 PM

I bought one for the same reason, but found it very awkward to use. I transferred the operating handle on my RCBS to the left side, so I can hold the scale pan with my right, making it easy to transfer the pan to the scale, which has the pan hanger on the right. Can't do that with the Lyman.

Yes, I'm one of those anal-compulsives that has to weigh every charge. Not ashamed of it, either.

Bmi48219
01-24-2023, 07:41 PM
Guess it a matter of preference. Mine will consistently drop +/- .10 grain charges all day as long as I use the rapper correctly. To me that means one rap when filling the drum and two as I dump the load. I’ve found a second or third rap while filling will boost the charge weight enough to compensate for a lower reservoir powder level but I really should just get a baffle.
Also the lightest load I drop is 2.0g TG. I get +/- .1 grain with Unique, 4227, and Herco too.
Then too I’ve found by lightly tapping the side of the measure with a rubber coated tool handle a couple dozen times before trying to set the charge weight makes getting my charge dialed in a lot easier. After that one rap to fill & two upon dumping.
Only thing I’m not crazy about is all that rapping loosens the lock screw holding my drop tube.