PDA

View Full Version : The End is near...

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-06-2023, 02:58 AM
Took my lovely wife to the local Chinese Buffet this afternoon. Had a great meal. Waitress brings the check, and our fortune cookies.
To my shock, the fortune cookies had the fortune and lotto numberson one side; and a surprise on the other side. There was an ad for Zip Recruiter!

Things like that are a sign the End is near.

Rich

Winger Ed.
01-06-2023, 03:32 AM
In 4 hours you'll be hungry again.
Maybe you can get a better prediction in the next fortune cookie.

pmer
01-06-2023, 08:14 AM
In 4 hours you'll be hungry again.
Maybe you can get a better prediction in the next fortune cookie.

Less rice and noodles and more vegetables is the trick

jonp
01-06-2023, 08:48 PM
Geez, and here I was thinking about Crab WonTon's and Sweet and Sour Chicken this afternoon.

I read somewhere that all of the fortune cookies are made in New Jersey.

Winger Ed.
01-06-2023, 09:25 PM
I read somewhere that all of the fortune cookies are made in New Jersey.

I wonder if people in the Far East feel the same way about that
as we do here concerning hot sauce and salsa made in New Jersey.

stubshaft
01-07-2023, 01:15 AM
IIRC - Fortune cookies were invented in San Francisco...Figures.

Winger Ed.
01-07-2023, 01:48 AM
IIRC - Fortune cookies were invented in San Francisco...Figures.

There's a lot of stuff like that.
The canned 'Chinese food' you see in the grocery store is about as authentic Chinese as John Wayne.

Same with all that Tex-Mex fast food people think is actually Mexican.
I spent 2 weeks in Mexico City and didn't see one taco, burrito, or refried bean the whole time I was there.

triggerhappy243
01-07-2023, 02:19 AM
There's a lot of stuff like that.
The canned 'Chinese food' you see in the grocery store is about as authentic Chinese as John Wayne.

Same with all that Tex-Mex fast food people think is actually Mexican.
I spent 2 weeks in Mexico City and didn't see one taco, burrito, or refried bean the whole time I was there.

that is because those are native american cuisine.

Bmi48219
01-09-2023, 07:16 PM
….I read somewhere that all of the fortune cookies are made in New Jersey.

Not too sure about that. Before I retired I managed several projects under the watchful eye of a Mechanical Engineer who was a first generation American of Chinese (mandarin) descent. At least once a month he would arrive at the project update meeting with a large bag of fortune cookies in lieu of the donuts or bagels the contractors would provide. And every week there would be another smaller bag for my employee’s safety meeting. Turned out his family owned a Fortune Cookie plant in Chicago and the cookies we received were surplus to their company’s weekly sales.

kevin c
01-14-2023, 07:24 PM
They’re made in Oakland, California too. Walking through Chinatown, you can easily follow your nose to where they come off the machines (sort of a hot metal roller that bakes them as they go through, then shaped and supplied with the fortune slip when still soft).

Polymath
01-15-2023, 01:34 AM
"The Chicken in the Chow Main was Cat"

GregLaROCHE
01-15-2023, 03:14 AM
"The Chicken in the Chow Main was Cat"

I can remember often hearing that. However, lynx stew is pretty good. Why wouldn’t cat taste good too.

Idaho45guy
01-16-2023, 12:05 AM
I can beat that.

The last Chinese meal I had a couple of months ago came with a fortune cookie with an FTX sponsored message.

Weird.

DougGuy
01-16-2023, 01:40 AM
And our beloved Texas Pete is actually made in (drum roll...........) North Carolina!

Polymath
01-16-2023, 11:01 PM
I can remember often hearing that. However, lynx stew is pretty good. Why wouldn’t cat taste good too.

I heard tell..
When the club was doing the Bonne and Crocket Scoring Day last Feb a guy brought in a cougar skull and me and my scoring partner scored it and it came in near or close to book. I asked him what he did with it (the cat) and expecting him to say he had the tanned pelt done up and hanging in the den, instead he was telling us how him and the family ate him. Ooookay then.
Waste not want not.
Apparently the only 2 things up here you cannot and must not eat is the liver out the Polar bear and the liver from the arctic seals. Their livers are so toxic with Vitamin A, that is can do harm to a human. So I guess skunk butt is still on the menu. No thanks.

GregLaROCHE
01-17-2023, 06:25 AM
Lynx was the only thing I trapped that was edible.

Good Cheer
01-18-2023, 05:48 PM
In the 60's when Grandad was playing guitar at the opening for a restaurant found a piece of rib bone, flat triangular in cross section, in a taco. My guess was cat.