PDA

View Full Version : Leather drive belt

JRLesan
01-05-2023, 07:01 PM
Need to create a round leather drive belt for my tumbler as the two rubber ones that replaced my original rubber belt (that was 8 years old) only lasted 15 minutes each. The original and the two replacements were all three from McMaster Carr. I intend on angle cutting the round leather belting and then gluing the joint. Anybody know a glue that would work? Not interested in metal staple suggestions; just a good glue. I did have an unopened pint can of adhesive for my lathe belt but the activator (in a glass bottle; also unopened) had set up solidly. Tumbler is not a commercial unit so no ordering from manufacturer...

Winger Ed.
01-05-2023, 07:05 PM
If there is something going on to tear up a rubber belt- ain't no glue gonna hold on a leather belt either.

You might be able to drill a hole near each end and loop some sort of cord through them to tie the ends together.
A few turns of fishing line or that heavy string construction guys use might work.

That's more or less how the leather drive belts for commercial sewing machines are driven.
I had fits with the original leather belt on mine, and my auto parts store buddy got me a car fan belt the right size.
That was in the late 80s and it's still on the job.

HWooldridge
01-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Contact cement - and make sure to skive the ends so the adhesive surface is maximized; at least 2 diameters long. A square butt splice probably won’t hold.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2023, 07:41 PM
Contact cement - and make sure to skive the ends so the adhesive surface is maximized; at least 2 diameters long. A square butt splice probably won’t hold.

That might work.

I'd drill a few holes and sew that together too.
Going around the corners of the pullies over and over is asking a lot from just glue.

36g
01-05-2023, 08:00 PM
The typically recommended leather cement (contact cement) is Barge. The comment about skiving the ends is right on, more surface area for the cement to bind on.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Pound on the joint with a mallet to force the air out and the fibers together after you apply the Barge.

country gent
01-05-2023, 09:32 PM
A most of the flat belts had steel lacing and a cat gut round to tie them together. I would skive the joint 3-4 lengths and glue then drill the holes and use cooper wire to finish and reinforce the joint

jimlj
01-06-2023, 02:32 AM
I know you said your not interested in a metal staple, but.......
a metal staple is what old treadle sewing machines used on the round leather belts. My mom had one that likely made millions of revolutions without any issue. Might be worth a try.

Sasquatch-1
01-06-2023, 08:24 AM
Here again, try the staple with a couple of pieces of shrink tubing over the staple. You may have to soften the shrink tubing a bit, after applying, by rubbing it around a piece of pipe or the like.

William Yanda
01-06-2023, 08:28 AM
I know you said your not interested in a metal staple, but.......
a metal staple is what old treadle sewing machines used on the round leather belts. My mom had one that likely made millions of revolutions without any issue. Might be worth a try.

He said what I was thinking.

gwpercle
01-06-2023, 11:45 AM
For a Thumler's Tumbler Model B , red steel hexagonal barrel , rubber lined , top held on with wing nuts , I found vacuum cleaner drive belts at wally mart work the absolute best best .

The Model B - Thumler's Tumbler : Durabelt- Eureka RD #65100

I took my broken belt with me to vacuum belt replacement display and matched the inside diameter ... the belt was slightly thicker but that was 25 years ago and two belts come in the pkg . A new one is still in there . These belts sold for $3.00 / 2 ... now they cost $6.00 / 2
but they are still sold and Durabelt is made in USA .

Just in case your leather belt doesn't last ... there belts last decades .
And you right about the 15 dollar factory replacement ... they last 15 minutes and Done !
Gary

01-06-2023, 12:28 PM
Contact;
Al Bino Industrial Belting
109 Spook La.
Fleetwood, Pa. 19522
610-670-1603

They make custom belts. They made me a synthetic belt that I glued together. Easy instructions and not hard to do. It drives my South Bend lathe. If nothing else, they are easy to talk to and will willingly give good advice.

45DUDE
01-06-2023, 07:16 PM
A vacuum cleaner is strong and has lots of stretch. Carry yours to a good hardware store and get one a tad smaller.

Polymath
01-06-2023, 07:56 PM
Need to create a round leather drive belt for my tumbler as the two rubber ones that replaced my original rubber belt (that was 8 years old) only lasted 15 minutes each. The original and the two replacements were all three from McMaster Carr. I intend on angle cutting the round leather belting and then gluing the joint. Anybody know a glue that would work? Not interested in metal staple suggestions; just a good glue. I did have an unopened pint can of adhesive for my lathe belt but the activator (in a glass bottle; also unopened) had set up solidly. Tumbler is not a commercial unit so no ordering from manufacturer...

Barge cement.
You didn't say how big or thick you needed so assuming a 1/4" thick. You can buy strapping from the leather supply house and glue two laces together with the joints at opposite ends. There is also a skiving tool for knocking the edges off the square lace.
Neets-foot oil will make your rope/lace last a very long time. Mom had leather rope to drive her treadle singer sewing.

ulav8r
01-06-2023, 10:53 PM
Leather sewing machine belts sell for about $5 on Amazon, have not looked for the latest prices. They come with a metal staple but can be connected with barge cement or kevlar thread. For the cement, cut at an angle to increase glued area. The vacuum belts recommended aboe would probably be a better choice.