PDA

View Full Version : Is your local radio station this bad?

Idaho45guy
01-04-2023, 04:56 PM
I listen to AM talk radio every day for about 3 hours. Basically, from the time I wake up until I get to work, I am listening to the radio.

There are three AM talk radio stations in the region, with only one that is based in the communities close to me, with relevant advertising. It also has the Clay & Buck show, then Ben Shapiro, during the time I am listening. The other two have Sean Hannity, which I cannot stand. So I listen to the local station.

However, they are so incompetent that I wonder how they can even have a station.

Every single day, there are excessive periods of dead air, commercials playing over each other, same commercial being ran back to back...

Oops, they just went off the air as I was typing this... Now they are back on but the feed is cutting out. It's sunny and calm outside.

I used to work in radio years ago for an AM/FM station much smaller than this one and dead air was not tolerated. Nor were the huge amounts of mistakes that are occurring daily.

This station has been bad for years, so not a change in staff. I got so frustrated that I actually filed a complaint with the FCC last year because their amount of errors and dead air were actually violating federal rules for broadcast.

But, of course nothing changed.

I've lived all over the country and listened to AM radio everywhere and never experienced such a thing.

Just curious as to if others here have a local station that is plagued with annoying errors and incompetence.

Outpost75
01-04-2023, 05:28 PM
The locally owned AM stations seem to do OK here in WV, but corporate owned ones which run multiple sites in automatic, unattended mode suck. FM not much better.

I listen to AM late at night during the winter months when there is good E-layer skip. From West Virginia I can usually get clear reception of WBZ, WGY, WLS, WBT, WHAS, WRVA, WCBS, WSM and occasionally other 50kw stations East of the Mississippi.

I use the CountyComm GP5 radio with Kaito wind-up wire antenna.

daengmei
01-04-2023, 05:30 PM
The local FM I listen too has the same problems, dead air is the most annoying.

Half Dog
01-04-2023, 06:03 PM
I gave up listening to the radio. The combination of politics and too many cermercials made me realize it is something I don’t want or need.

elmacgyver0
01-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Sign of the times.
Not sure they even have engineers on site anymore.

georgerkahn
01-04-2023, 06:28 PM
I have read that AM radio is literally on the way out. Many new automobiles will not even have nor offer AM radios in their entertainment options! As most people know at their home, a florescent light turned on near an AM radio, as well as many, many electric appliances will cause that severe noise from speaker to make broadcast unlistenable -- so are the electronics in new autos. The "electric cars?" FORGET IT!!! With streaming services and FM (also on a decline) plus satellite offerings (e.g., Sirius XM) there's not much profit nowadays in the amplitude modulated market.
Local to me is but ONE AM station, serving both my area as well as Canada airspace. Frankly, (my guess is it is the cheapest ;)), they play 1980's (what they call) music. On the other hand, it is the ONLY avenue for LIVE local news and weather. After I awaken and come downstairs, I faithfully turn it on one minute or less before the local news; promptly, thereafter turning it off.
Sad in recollection as I grew up in metro New York area, and the local AM stations (e.g., WINS with Cousin Brucie) were the only stations to listen to! My local station's only error (imho :)) is their music format choice...
geo

Handloader109
01-04-2023, 07:30 PM
Well, in my opinion, Rush Limbaugh saved AM for a couple of 3 decades and with his death, AM is back on the way out. It's sad in a way as it is not really as distance limited as FM. But the auto makers rather put in streaming services that they can continuously make a few bucks a month on. I still listen occasionally, but since Rush passed not so much. There is a local station that actually owns several AM stations across NW Arkansas and they seem to to pretty good. But they cater to the generation older than me, I don't listen

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

deltaenterprizes
01-04-2023, 08:36 PM
Good help is hard to find!

farmbif
01-04-2023, 09:10 PM
I do miss Paul Harvey

hoodat
01-04-2023, 10:58 PM
I've been an avid, maybe rabid radio listener since the age of prolly ten or so. My first radio was a little miniature crystal set that cost about a buck I think.

These days, I've got a couple different C Crane radios that get daily or nightly use. We've got a lot of Christian stations, political, classic rock, country, and of course NPR. (gotta keep an ear on what the enemy is up to) I listen to them all, and I don't see radio disappearing. I met a guy a few months ago who was running a boot-leg station from his solar powered motor home. Don't know what his range is, but he's getting his opinion out.

I remember "Radio Free Europe" back in the Iron Curtain days. When the inter-web is just a memory, we'll probably be sitting around our fires, listening to crystal sets tuned to stations located in the free world. jd

alfadan
01-04-2023, 11:06 PM
Most of their content is sent to the station via internet, so connection problems cause most of their dead-air.
My preferred FM station must have absolutely cheap ad time because they have the same 4 commercials every break, back to back to back...

rbuck351
01-05-2023, 01:37 AM
You all actually have a radio station? Wow, lucky guys. Some days I can pick up a station from Canada but it fades in and out.

ascast
01-05-2023, 02:14 AM
I have given up on radio as at work I could hear several stations at the same time, same thing every day. It was cool to hear 50 years of the Stones at the same time. BUT, I find free TV to as described by the OP. Dead air, huge gaps, same ads over ad over back to back. hard to fig out why. My TV is internet.

GhostHawk
01-05-2023, 07:14 AM
I have a FM station which is local to me that plays older country music and is largely aimed at farmers, so lots of farm news and info which I enjoy.

Seems like they are constantly cutting out, losing signal or something. Station goes off entirely, may be back in 30 seconds or 30 minutes.

106.1 FM Thunder country.
https://streamdb7web.securenetsystems.net/v5/index.cfm?stationCallSign=KQLXFM

pworley1
01-05-2023, 07:21 AM
The local stations in my area all do a good job. I am sorry that you are not as lucky.

uscra112
01-05-2023, 07:35 AM
Since we lost Rush I don't even turn on the radio anymore. Local AM station is WWVA, which is an unending stream of low-brow talk. Ditto the Marietta OH station whose call sign I don't even know. Scanning FM in the car, nothing but subwoofer rap. Not even NPR, not that I would listen to it. At my age it hardly matters - I'm too deaf to make sense of it anyway.

georgerkahn
01-05-2023, 08:56 AM
Since we lost Rush I don't even turn on the radio anymore. Local AM station is WWVA, which is an unending stream of low-brow talk. Ditto the Marietta OH station whose call sign I don't even know. Scanning FM in the car, nothing but subwoofer rap. Not even NPR, not that I would listen to it. At my age it hardly matters - I'm too deaf to make sense of it anyway.

uscra112 -- you bring back many memories, waaaay back some years, listening to Wheeling, West Virginia's WWVA! Back then it was low-impact music primarily, with witty talks spiced in -- just enough to look forward to the next bit following the enjoyable tune.
Thanks for enabling the memories!

Re another post re Radio Free Europe, in the day I was quite the ShortWave listener. I recall listening to Radio Havana Cuba with Fidel live! And, most memorable were the broadcasts -- live, as it was happening (I skipped school that day) when the Stockholm crashed into the Andrea Doria off the coast of Massachusetts. MOST memorable were the conversations live in Shortwave vis the search/for the Edmund Fitzgerald -- a freighter -- on Lake Superior in 1975 (I remember the date clearly as it was a month before my wedding to present wife).
One by one, sadly (I sooo miss Radio Canada International) the Short Wave stations have gone off the air. Back in the 1960's I was gifted by my church pastor a non-tunable one-station tiny transistor radio that could only listen to a religious-broadcast station in Quito, Ecuador: HCJB (Heralding Christ Jesus's Blessings). These were distributed by missionaries there to locals, and he was sent one for showing to congregation to solicit funds...
---good ole' days :) :) :)...
geo

farmerjim
01-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Now with Rush gone I just listen to books on tape ( actually micro SD ) while working outside or driving. Micheners Hawaii took over 2 months to finish.
It takes a lot longer to listen to a book vs reading it.

Shawlerbrook
01-05-2023, 09:02 AM
The more time goes on, the more you realize how great Rush was. I listen to a local FM country music station and seems there has been that dead air thing lately.

warren5421
01-05-2023, 09:41 AM
I still tune 650 AM at night some time. But most times I have the iPad playing Swiss Classic Radio. It is in German but has great classic radio station.

Mr Peabody
01-05-2023, 11:08 AM
I quit the local stations, I pay the subscription fees for Sirius radio and listen to what I like

Bent Ramrod
01-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Sounds exactly like our own talk stations, both Tucson and Phoenix. Amateur Hour until they fade at sunset. Dead air, two commercials (or show and commercial) gabbling at once, truncated commercials/announcements, and my favorite, the first couple-three words of whichever radio host is making me “this incredible offer” repeated; “Are you...Are you trapped in your Time Share (You Pathetic Sap)?”

Like “Jimmy Two-Times” in Goodfellas who always says everything twice.

But, hey—this is the Historical Dialectic operating in Real Life. We’ve gone from an agrarian to a manufacturing to a technological to a service to a lousy service economy in only 250 years. Now with a $13.50/hr Minimum Wage, for the same unthinking going-through-the-motions.

lancem
01-05-2023, 11:11 AM
I live in an area blessed with no radio stations. It makes washing the windshield on the trucks so much easier with the antenna removed :)

schutzen-jager
01-05-2023, 11:45 AM
here in the Peoples Republic of N.J. the local am news station that supplied weather, traffic, school closings, community news + etc. for past 6+ decades was taken over by FOX news sports + is terrible + useless - the state based fm news station is totally biased, liberal, progressive fake news that can not even get traffic + weather right -

uscra112
01-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Hypothesis: AM talk was successful as long as it had the revenue Rush brought in. Rush is gone, and the business model isn't viable anymore.

hoodat
01-05-2023, 12:34 PM
Part of the problem for you guys who THINK that you have no radio stations is the new radios that modern cars and trucks have. The auto tuners and "seek" won't stop on a weak station, and you can't fine tune them.

I've got an old 1968 Ford 3/4 ton, with the standard AM radio, and in the evening that thing will receive darned near any station on this side of the Rocky Mountains. I'm pretty sure that it sometimes gets old signals of Wolfman Jack that are still bouncing around up in the ionosphere. :-P jd

Murphy
01-05-2023, 01:33 PM
I don't spend enough time in a vehicle or setting that I need a radio these days. I have them, just don't use them. In my little neck o' the woods, what few local stations we have you can pick up most anytime. Sadly, they wind up with a D.J. who's ego won't fit in a Super Walmart. Talk show's never really caught on, it is what it is. About the only use I have for one, are the Swap Shop hourly morning broadcasts. Anywhere between 7:00am-9:00am. After that, there's nothing out there for me.

In regards to talk show hosts. I'll pass thank you. I've had friends who became so wrapped up in them, you couldn't have a decent conversation without them interjecting what 'so & so' say's every 5 minutes. I wound up having to give a few of them a good leaving alone.

When I hear or think of the word radio, music is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm 69 years old now. I grew up to the age of 13 in a large city and Rock & Roll was my daily bread for music. My parents moved us to the country while I was in the middle of being 13. *SHOCK*! I couldn't get a Rock & Roll station on the radio until nearly 10:00pm, bummer man, bummer. Then, during the day it was country music. I honestly don't recall any talk shows. 13-14 year old kids in those days wouldn't have listened to them anyway. We'd of been too busy running trot lines, chasing racoons, etc.

Finally, the age of recording our own tapes for listening pleasure came along. I haven't done much listening to a radio program of any kind for decades now. But that's just me. MP3 files on disc (140-160 songs per disc) saved me from silence while in a vehicle or my shop casting/reloading. Today's country music, ain't. I wouldn't know Rock & Roll by todays standards if it bit me in the butt.

News & current event's. I watch about 90 minutes of televised news per day. I watch both sides from a national source, and one from a smaller station located about 120-140 miles away. The smaller one tells me more about what's going on in my local area than the other two.

Radio? Good for back ground noise if I'm really bored.

Murphy

super6
01-05-2023, 02:02 PM
WBT the blow torch of the south, AM and FM, I do remember wolf man jack on wing am radio Ohio, The guy was a junky. Used to party with him.

hoodat
01-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Dennis Prager is a good talk show to listen to. Also Tom Sullivan. Nobody can replace Rush though.

I'm a rocker, and haven't really warmed up to Christian music, but I spend a lot of time with Christian talk shows.

With radio in general, I enjoy being able to listen and still do something like reloading, rather than being glued to a screen. jd

pete501
01-05-2023, 02:15 PM
Does anybody remember K-FAT 94 and a half?

Reg
01-05-2023, 03:10 PM
I used to do a lot of late night driving and sometimes all night driving. The one I miss most is Art Bell. Like him or not he kept you wide awake and completely entertained. Currently if you have Radio Garden on your phone and run it through any blue tooth device, even on your car, Richard Syrett out of Canada will keep your blood pressure up.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2023, 03:19 PM
Stations around the DFW are a mixed bag.

There's a conservative news talk station that's pretty good.
A couple all sports, some church ones, a couple in Spanish, and that brain numbing rap.

At night, you can get stations from Mexico that don't reduce their output watts in the evening.

The only type that's missing is that music from Southern Louisiana.
From what I can figure out- it's someone strangling a cat 24 hours a day.
I've thought about tuning in and using it instead of a predator 'critter caller' tape.

uscra112
01-05-2023, 06:04 PM
When I was a kid I discovered that very early Sunday mornings, when most AM stations were off the air, I could pull in XERF in Villa Acuna Mexico on a cheap Philco 2-tube receiver in eastern Massachusetts. I do believe that XERF broadcast in the 100+ kilowatt range, not being subject to American (or perhaps any other) FCC regulation.

01-05-2023, 06:19 PM
My area stations are really good. Have had those momentary blank spots on other stations, but not here so much.... Rob Carson & Dan Bongino keep me sane.

MT Gianni
01-05-2023, 08:49 PM
First week of June 1976 a friend and I went to fish Henry's fork of the Snake. We passed through Idaho Falls and had our spare repaired. We tooled through Rexburg about 11:20 and hit the river. About 1:00 someone had told us the Teton Dam broke. We fished til we had limited out and headed back to Blackfoot, ID with a 75 mile or more reroute. We had no working radio in that car. I will always try to keep up with the local news in a car when travelling. It might save your life.
I listen to our county owned radio stations often. They are short range and operate off a grant to inform county residents in an emergency. When not informing for 1 minute on the hour and half hour, they play country music from the 50's, 60's and 70's with no DJ or commercials. It is the only way I stay sane during election campaigns.
If I am home I listen to podcasts or books from the library through the Libby app. My personal version of hell would be having to listen to talk radio.

alfadan
01-05-2023, 11:29 PM
When I was a kid I discovered that very early Sunday mornings, when most AM stations were off the air, I could pull in XERF in Villa Acuna Mexico on a cheap Philco 2-tube receiver in eastern Massachusetts. I do believe that XERF broadcast in the 100+ kilowatt range, not being subject to American (or perhaps any other) FCC regulation.

ZZtop had a song "heard it on the x" about XERF. The Doc Brinkley story is pretty entertaining!

jaysouth
01-05-2023, 11:46 PM
Download the Iheart radio app on your phone and listen to virtually any radio station in the country. In the mornings, I spend a couple of minutes listening to WMAL(DC) or WABC(NYC) to remind me how much I miss rush hour traffic in the big city. Mostly, I listen to Libby (recorded books) or Spotify (podcasts and music)

rockshooter
01-06-2023, 12:53 AM
just for fun, checked the AM band with my Icom 7300, about 30 stations out there receivable in Boise, ID
Loren

Idaho45guy
01-06-2023, 04:04 PM
I used to do a lot of late night driving and sometimes all night driving. The one I miss most is Art Bell. Like him or not he kept you wide awake and completely entertained.

Yep! I get off work at 11 pm, and if I'm driving my 4Runner, I listen to comedy or Fox news on Sirius. If I'm in my old HHR, then I will turn on Art Bell's replacement, George Noory on Coast to Coast for a few minutes, then usually switch to a country FM station.

I will rarely listen to Noory for more than a few minutes since 95% of his guests are blasphemous kooks that are into numerology, psychic energy, spiritualism, remote viewing, or other such beliefs that focus on the Dark Arts and spiritual matter.

It's been decades, but I seem to recall that Art had more interesting guests that focused more on cryptozoology, alien abductions, Bigfoot, and conspiracy theories.

It's rare that George will have a guest on that is interesting and not clearly insane, which is a sad legacy to Art Bell.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2023, 06:36 PM
To all of you that miss Rush Limbaugh, search for The Jesse Kelly Show. While he is fairly new to radio, he has that certain something that Rush had, IMHO.
His show is on 8PM on a AM station in south-central MN. But I don't think that's "LIVE", check his website for stations and times in your area.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2023, 06:48 PM
Yep! I get off work at 11 pm, and if I'm driving my 4Runner, I listen to comedy or Fox news on Sirius. If I'm in my old HHR, then I will turn on Art Bell's replacement, George Noory on Coast to Coast for a few minutes, then usually switch to a country FM station.

I will rarely listen to Noory for more than a few minutes since 95% of his guests are blasphemous kooks that are into numerology, psychic energy, spiritualism, remote viewing, or other such beliefs that focus on the Dark Arts and spiritual matter.

It's been decades, but I seem to recall that Art had more interesting guests that focused more on cryptozoology, alien abductions, Bigfoot, and conspiracy theories.

It's rare that George will have a guest on that is interesting and not clearly insane, which is a sad legacy to Art Bell.

On Weekends, Coast to Coast has guest hosts. One of them is Jimmy Church. He has topics similar to which Art Bell had. Search for his podcast/internet radio show called, "FADE TO BLACK LIVE with Jimmy Church"

Texas by God
01-06-2023, 07:19 PM
I remember listening to WLS? from Chicago at night in our dairy barn at night. But mostly to the country music from the “50,000 watt blowtorch WBAP” from Broadcast Hill in Ft Worth. They were originally pop music, then country, then news and talk- which they currently are.
I often listen to a local NPR station that plays music I like- Hendrix followed by Johnny Cash followed by Anita Baker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonp
01-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Local 6-9 show is ok. Don't listen much anymore, though as I listen to podcasts 12hrs a day. Don't like Clay and Buck. Nothing against them but the 2 host format is annoying. One station nearby has Bongino on and I prefer him but I listen to his podcast every morning so don't listen to the show online very often. Hannity is a broken record. Stop for a week or two then tune in and the same thing over and over. No use for him especially after this McCarthy fiasco.

AM isn't the same since Rush 1206-1500. Everywhere in the country you could tune in and I have been everywhere, there he was with a great show every time. Made me tear up when I heard his lovely wife open his show as I knew what was coming. 30yrs everyday and it was like a good friend was gone.

jonp
01-06-2023, 08:27 PM
I remember listening to WLS? from Chicago at night in our dairy barn at night. But mostly to the country music from the “50,000 watt blowtorch WBAP” from Broadcast Hill in Ft Worth. They were originally pop music, then country, then news and talk- which they currently are.
I often listen to a local NPR station that plays music I like- Hendrix followed by Johnny Cash followed by Anita Baker.

Yeah, listened to the "blowtorch of the plains". Also listened to 100,000 watts of Border Radio. WBAP, KFI, KOA, WABC all on skip listened to on my transistor when I was a kid then on the truck radio driving at night before satellite then cell podcasts. When a kid in far northern New England they may as well have been broadcasts from outer space. I remember as a kid when the tv stations we got on rabbit ears from America were outnumbered by ones from Canada and some of those were in French only.

jonp
01-06-2023, 08:29 PM
On Weekends, Coast to Coast has guest hosts. One of them is Jimmy Church. He has topics similar to which Art Bell had. Search for his podcast/internet radio show called, "FADE TO BLACK LIVE with Jimmy Church"

Not the same since Art moved to the Philippines.
"West of the Rockies, your on the line"

"From the Wildcard Line...."

compass will
01-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Philly had KYW 1060 news radio. I used to listen to that. I recall in the 80s qualifying a new mobile phone cell site in Montgomery, Alabama. I had to drive out into the country and wait for them to call Mr only old brick cell phone to prove the mobile part worked. Sitting there, I tuned in AM 1060, and there was kyw. They used to have the noise of ticker tape stock machines piped into the audio background until the late 80s I think.

Also, our local station for school closings as a kid was WCOJ in Coatesville pa. I think they were licensed for 200w at night and 1000w in day time. In the early mornings, ln order to read the school closure list, the announcer would get up and walk to a different booth to use the 1000-watt transmitter, then walk back to low power booth to continue normal broadcast schedule until the sun came up.

I think kyw is off the AM radio now, but is still found on a sub carrier of another phila HD FM station owned by the same company.
The frequency used by AM radio bounces off the ionosphere at night. I later used that technique with amateur radio.
Last I tried WCOJ, it was rebroadsting a religion station.

waksupi
01-07-2023, 01:13 PM
I quit the local stations, I pay the subscription fees for Sirius radio and listen to what I like

Same here. Pretty much anything you want to listen to. I enjoy the old time radio theater station, and the old country and blues. When you get on the east side of Montana there isn't much choice.

brassrat
01-08-2023, 09:46 PM
People in Ct will know Smith and Barber, they were on for years. Then they left for several years and reappeared, and quickly left, again. This showed me the mentality here as the replacement guys have been on for decades and IMO arent a 1000th of SB. Rock FM. As to other radio, I hate it all and never listen,even the English speakers.

Murphy
01-10-2023, 11:32 AM

Texas by God,

Seems we were in the same zone when I moved from the big city to being a country boy. Yep, WLS & WBAP...the good ole' Bill Mack amateur hour. Thank God when 8 Track tape decks came out. They were the 2nd upgrade to any pickup a country boy owned, the first of course being a gun rack in the back window. Talk about the good ole' days. A good ole pickup, gun rack, Zebco 33 & a Nylon 66. Some of the best memories from my youth were spurned in those days. Had it not been for shady characters passing through with a trunk full of 8 Track tapes for sale, I never would have known who Dolomite & Gene Tracey were.

Murphy

Texasflyboy
01-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Don't know how many are AM, but there are thousands of online radio stations with this app. I use it when driving cross country to stay connected to my home station, WMAL in DC.

https://radio.garden/visit/new-york-ny/9Yi25umJ

Outpost75
01-11-2023, 01:55 PM
I remember Harden and Weaver on WMAL during its politically incorrect days. I sure miss the snow day closures for Albino State Teachers College and the announcement that the Rinky Dinky Day School is closed today because the bar tender is sick.

tommag
01-12-2023, 06:52 AM
I was probably the first ditto head. Heard him on a Sacramento station before he was syndicated and thought "Wow, someone who thinks like me!"
There's still good programming on am, but there'll never be another Rush.
As I travel, I do find a lot of dead air and ads that are run on top of each other. Iirc, dead air used to be a reason to get your license pulled. I guess the fcc isn't as aggressive as they used to be. Some of the stuff that goes on in the 75 meter band is as bad as the cb band used to be, so I guess there's not much enforcement any more.

uscra112
01-12-2023, 08:10 AM
I was probably the first ditto head. Heard him on a Sacramento station before he was syndicated and thought "Wow, someone who thinks like me!"
Had that experience myself, driving to a business meeting in Sacto while he was there. Wasn't for a while that he showed up back east.

pmer
01-12-2023, 08:18 AM
For those that miss Rush Limbaugh, I'll through Dan Bongino in. I think Clay and Buck are okay but Dan Bongino will tell it like it is in a way that is reminiscent to Rush and I get that same feeling of being informed and entertained. He's on in mornings but I catch his pod cast.
In my area, the stations that have Clay and Buck are loaded with big Pharma's ED commercials and I don't want to hear about men's plumbing 4-6 times an hour. I won't tune to it at home or if people are in the car with me. I think it's a type audience grooming myself. Use money to change a stations audience to a narrow listenership. When their numbers drop a sports station buys them up and conservative talk disappears from that area.

uscra112
01-12-2023, 09:01 AM
Bongino doesn't have Rush's timbre or cadences. I could listen to Rush reading a phone directory. The current crop would drive me crazy reading Shakespeare.

pmer
01-12-2023, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I hear you, I just stepped out of a bank in Two Harbors, Minnesota when Catherine announced his passing on the radio.

Wolfdog91
01-12-2023, 12:22 PM
My phone + YouTube premium+ ear buds or my Bluetooth speaker= perfect radio time.

Wild Bill 7
01-12-2023, 01:49 PM
I listen to both am and fm. Only problem is the Spanish stations interfere with the English stations. When that happens I turn the radio off. Not interested in Spanish lingo, seems they think they are more deserving of the airways than English speaking stations. It’s just like someone who asks me if I speak spanish at work and I tell them no they automatically start to speak English. Imho.

Winger Ed.
01-12-2023, 02:55 PM
Not interested in Spanish lingo,

I know what ya mean. I have the same problem myself.
Those South Texans have such a hard accent--- you'd think they had a different word for everything.

Idaho45guy
01-15-2023, 11:43 PM
There's still good programming on am, but there'll never be another Rush.
As I travel, I do find a lot of dead air and ads that are run on top of each other. Iirc, dead air used to be a reason to get your license pulled. I guess the fcc isn't as aggressive as they used to be. Some of the stuff that goes on in the 75 meter band is as bad as the cb band used to be, so I guess there's not much enforcement any more.

Great post!

First time I heard Rush was when I got out of the Navy in `92 and got a job delivering flooring supplies. The van they had was tuned into the local AM station and Rush was on when I started it up to deliver some carpet.

Believe it or not, it was the episode in which a guy called in and couldn't afford a subscription to the newsletter, so Rush had a brilliant idea and suggested a bake sale.

Yep. The genesis of Dan's Bake Sale was the very first time I heard Rush. I was hooked!

I used to listed to Buck Sexton's show on the way to work and thought he was great. Then when they announced that he and Clay Travis would replace Rush, I was optimistic.

But, Clay Travis is a lawyer/sports guy that I just don't like, and Buck has lost a lot of his personality and edge since joining the partnership.

There is no replacing Rush, and the new show is not up to snuff. They need to lose Clay Travis and just let Buck run loose with his CIA and law enforcement background. He can carry the weight.

BJung
01-16-2023, 12:06 AM
I live in the SF Bay Area. There is this one guy who sounds just like Rush Limbau. Of course you know Rush Limbau has passed away. When you first listen, you think you're listening to a Conservative Republican Pro 2A station. But no, it's a Liberal Station that argues the Liberal position and pulls you in to argue with the host. Of course, the host has the cut-off button so he wins.

David2011
01-16-2023, 04:30 PM
With a population of about 6 million the greater Houston area has pitiful radio. When I was in college in the ‘70s and a Radio and TV major, there was a good talk radio station before they became political and several pop/top 40/rock/hard rock stations. Now at least half of the stations are in languages other than English. No problem with that except that they weren’t added to the spectrum, they were changed from English to other languages taking away some good stations. Today there is one rock station that’s mostly automated and plays the same 100 or so oldies rotation with few changes from year to year. There are certain songs that I can count on hearing if I’m in the workshop for four hours. The talk radio station is mostly political with Clay and Buck, Hannity, Michael Berry and Mark Levin, shifting to Our American Stories and George Noory later.

Paf
01-16-2023, 07:20 PM
I still like to listen to talk radio. Living near LA I can listen to 640 KFI and 790 KABC talk radio (Ventura even has a good one - 1590 KVTA). All of these stations have a pretty good line up for the most part. On 640 KFI, Tim Conway Jr. (father was on the Carol Burnett show) is enjoyable to listen to. However his time slot was just changed. Used to be on from 7:00 pm - 10:00pm. Now only from 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Loved Art Bell, but am still glad Coast to Coast is still going. Wished John B. Wells was still on Coast to Coast. He had a good weekend show. When I am home in Wisconsin for the summer, my choice of radio is 550 WSAU out of Wausau.

GregLaROCHE
01-16-2023, 07:25 PM
Here in France, all stations are 90% talk. It sucks. I’m glad I have MP3. I even removed my antenna permanently, because I always would have to take it off at the car wash. What ever happened to the antennae in the windshield?

David2011
01-16-2023, 08:30 PM
Paf, I lived in Bakersfield for a few years. My job had me driving to L.A., El Centro, San Diego and as far north as Monterrey Bay. On the weekends I headed to my boat in Oxnard. I loved listening to KFI while driving.

ulav8r
01-17-2023, 12:48 AM
Have never listened to more than 4 minutes of talk radio, and that was only one time. Prefer rock from mid-50's to early 70's.

jonp
01-18-2023, 08:43 PM
Anyone old enough to have caught Border Radio on their transister?

William Yanda
01-19-2023, 10:25 AM
The nearby 50 Thousand watt clear channel station occasionally has dead air. Most recently after the news announcer introduced a clip. When sound came back it was the wrong clip. It is my belief that they hire newbies for engineers and they often slip the wrong fwitch, or don't flip it at all.

MT Gianni
01-24-2023, 01:28 AM
Anyone old enough to have caught Border Radio on their transister?

Was that like Radio Canyon out of Mexico. They would blast all over Idaho. When my local station went down for the night they played those ranchero songs over the same frequency. Another station out of Tulsa would blast you too. Almost made late night call outs with 100 mile trips acceptable.