PDA

View Full Version : New BP, looking for mold input

Topper
02-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I acquired a 50 cal TC "Texas" Scout Carbine, barrel has a 1:38 twist.
Spent ample time searching the web :coffee: looking for which bullet/mold is the best performer for accuracy and hunting.
Before I invest in any molds, I would appreciate the advice off the experts ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/Scout01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/Scout02.jpg

madcaster
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
With that twist,maybe the Lee 250 grain REAL bullet?

Old Ironsights
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree. 250 REAL or the LEE Minnie... maybe the Lee Improved Minnie, but I've never tried it.

It's a pretty fast twist, so RB will suck. 1/42 is about as fast as you want for PRB.

The MAXI might work too, but for ease of loading I prefer REALs or Minnies.

boommer
02-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm shooting the lyman# 508656 395gr plains bullet in my 1-32 twist with great accuracy. I can get round balls to shoot fairly well by loading only up to 60grains of 2f. The 395 grain conical you need to really need to pour the coals to her to get that slug to bump up tight in the barrel. My load for that is 90grs of Swiss 1.5 gives me 1450 fps. The carbine length barrel a heavy dose of 3f maybe?for the 395gr conical. The R.E.A.L.s shot so so for me in different guns I think in a
1-38 twist they might work but probably lean to the mini. I have never had 1-38 twist carbine rifle JUST 32,48,60.

mooman76
02-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Do a search here. Some people posted some good results in that rifle. If I remember correctly and it could have changed that rifle had slightly shallower rifling than other BP guns. You should still be able to shoot it well though with a proper load. I do agree with the information given here so far. With that tight of a twist you could probubly go a little heavier of a maxie. You might want to go to the buying and selling & swapping section and ask for some conicals to try before you invest in a mould.

boommer
02-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Topper I could send you some 320gr reals and some 395gr conical plains with spg lube don't have any mini,s casted up right now. If you want pick up the postage bill ?

Topper
02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Really appreciate the quick feedback.
Just uploaded some photos for anyone that hasn't seen one.
Will be a few months before I can take her out for a test run, just had shoulder surgery.
BP is really hard to find around these parts and from what I've read, RS doesn't have the igniting problems other substitutes do with this carbine.
I believe this wast TC's first attempt at in-lines.

mooman76
02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Good looking gun! I always wanted one when I first saw them. They remind me of a lever action. I believe you are right about this being T/Cs first atempt on an inline. When they came out if I remember right the only inlines were the Knight rifles and they were really pricy for back then. I kind of was turned off by an artical I read on them. They said the best acuracy they could get was 2" at 50y with the shallow rifling. I was probubly being overly critical of them but back then I had to be pretty picky because I was on a real tight gun budjet. Maybe I will look for one some day.

Topper
02-05-2009, 02:57 AM
Boomer,
I'll get back to you, I would like to try the reals.
Mooman, I haven read anything promising about this rifle, but all it cost me was some labor so the wife can't complain to much;-).
Will be a few month before I will be able to test fire it, have some sabots and 44 cal pills Ken sent me a while back when I put together a CVA 45cal that was given to me.

Gunfixer
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I can send some (10 or 12?) 250 REAL's to try. A friend gave me about 20 and while I dont think they will do too good in my 1:48 I'm going to try a few anyway.

Geraldo
02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
It's a pretty fast twist, so RB will suck. 1/42 is about as fast as you want for PRB.

Not true. I shoot RB from a 1:28" GM barrel and they group very, very well, so don't rule anything out until you try it.

I like the look of the octagon barrel more than the round barrel they usually used on Scout carbines and pistols. One weak point on these is that the nipple and breech plug is one unit. Cain's Muzzleloading had spare breech plugs, but they also told me they will machine an old one to accept standard 1/4" nipples (although you could probably find someone on this board to do it as well).

Topper
02-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 50cal Lee Improved Minie 360gr.
Since I probably will not be able to shoot for a few months, at least I can take some time to do some casting.
Geraldo, I did check out Cain's and they are out of stock on the nipple/breech plug. Sent them an email hoping they can get me a spare.
If not, I will ping back on more info on who to contact.
I've read too many post on poor detination and misfires with this particular make that I would like a spare and maybe open it up a tad were the port contacts the barrel.

Taylor
02-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Check my posting on this.I have a Scout also.Took 2 years to figger out this rifle,but I got it!Had a tremendous amount of help from a lot of folks here.Basicaly(that ain't right), it straight up will not shoot a round ball!! It will not stabilize a Lee 320 very well,the 250 is much better with a over powder wad. Lee .44 (.430) with harvester sabot works. However non of these are accurate past 50 yards.The powerbelt 245 gr with 80 gr rs will get you a 100 yard shot with enough accuracy to put meat on the table.This particular pic is with the Lee 250.There is quite a bit of info and research in here that might help.Good luck.

Taylor
02-08-2009, 08:51 AM
TC has the correct sling for your carbine,and they make a "takedown" tool for it also.Plus they still have the "nipple thingy",they sent me the sling and tool for free, bought an extra nipple from them to have on hand.I have read somewhere that someone had drilled out the plug so that he could insert regular #11 nipples,ggod idea I think,but I have not done it.

Topper
02-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Not a bad group Taylor.
I have looked high and low for a Nipple/Breach plug, both TC and Cain's are out.
Since I don't have a lathe (wouldn't help much because I've never used one), I may attempt to make one by hand as soon as I have use of both arms again.
The lady at TC provided the bolt size and threading pitch (9/16 x 18) and I can drill and thread the bolt head for a standard nipple.
Ordered the takedown tool and manual while I had her on the phone.z
Next question.
Has anyone had any experience with Graf Black Powder?
Am I better off sticking with Goex?
Sorry about making this such a long post.
One more thing Taylor.
I found this post while search for a replacement nipple for what it's worth.
Buy some FFF Goex, CCI mag caps, and some 250g Shockwave bullets for that rifle. Use between 80-90g of the stuff and you will be surprized. Some of the best targets I have ever printed came from my Scout.
Not sure if this will work for either of us but you never know till ya try;-)

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
My very good friend has the Goex distributorship in Maksville ,La. so I'm on the side of Goex because it's made in America by Americans right here in Louisiana. Now with that being said I would not be a honest person if I didn't say that the powder sold by Graf's will work also. It's made by Wano in Germany and imported by Schuetzen. Graf's buys a container load at a time and has their own label put on. If you only have Graf's that you can buy then do so but if we don't support our own companies we will end up with none. I would hate to think of a day when we could only buy foreign BP. Look at what they have done to us with oil. How does $30 a pound sound?

Topper
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Advise taken to heart, will go with Goex.
The Lee mold arrived today, the pour point (nose) is not even round from the burrs left on it :-(
Will clean it up and may attempt some one handed casting this weekend.

PatMarlin
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM
That is an awesome rifle Topper. I actually never knew such a beast existed. Now I want one someday ...:mrgreen:

Maven
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Topper, You may want to visit the T/C website: look for and open the Manuals tab on the left side of the screen and scroll down to the obsolete/noncurrent manuals. You'll find one for the Scout, including loading data for RB's, Maxi-Balls and Maxi-Hunters. If it was my rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to try a .490" RB + .015" patch first and a 370gr. Maxi-Ball second. If you use the lee Improved Minie, start with 50grs. FFg (by volume), increasing the charge to 60grs., or until accuracy degrades. You should also damp swab the bore after each shot with the Improved Minie or Maxi-Ball or you'll find seating the next one difficult and accuracy diminished. It also helps [accuracy] if you dry patch the bore after you seat the projectile and before you cap the rifle. Btw, T/C RB & Maxi-Ball moulds in excellent - new condition frequently appear on E-Bay, sometimes at surprisingly low prices.

Topper
02-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the complement Pat. I left the buckhorn sight in place but mounted a peep sight on the receiver this past weekend.
Maven,
I definitely try some round balls.
Also have some 300gr HB round for 45cal that I want to test with Knight's Sabots.
Have no idea how they will shot since they are not FB.