PDA

View Full Version : Teflon tape ?

Wolfdog91
01-03-2023, 01:54 AM
Remember seeing somewhere someone was using some kinda teflon or lable maker tape for paper patching. Anyone try this ?

missionary5155
01-03-2023, 06:46 AM
Some one has for sure. I think by now someone has tried every "tape" that was sold by last year.
The big question is.. Do you want the "patch" to remain on the slug ? Paper "generally discards" or "gets cut" by the rifling and falls off. Thus each slug flying along will have the same airodynamec resistance. Army called it a "discarding sabot".
A tape may stay "stuck on". But if only partially stuck on, slugs are not going to fly consistently..
That is why paper works so well. Powder Coating also. Consistent !

barrabruce
01-03-2023, 07:12 AM
Ohh every type of tape.
Al foil ,fish skins and probably used frangers.
Some one did label stickers that mated the ends square to the bullet.
The adhesive was the problem in getting them stuck to the core and getting out of the barrel consistently.

You could try the chase patch and the muzzle cross patch.

The 2x wrapped paper patch works the best.
The 1 1/2 wrap patch is quick and easy but accuracy is not that stellar.

You are welcome to try anything you like.
Please report your findings here.
I nearly cracked it once.
I don’t do much hi velocity stuff these days but you can get up to an easy 17-1800 fps with nearly dead soft lead.
No special alloys or lube nor gas checks.
You only need some paper and something to cut it with.
And the right size core.

mdatlanta
01-03-2023, 02:58 PM
I seem to remember an article about this in Handloader magazine from long ago. Of course, I can’t remember what I had for breakfast so I could be completely off base.

salpal48
01-03-2023, 04:09 PM
I have used label Tap, and does work well. Adhesive stick well. On long Bullets You can even put your load on it, if you have a printer , But small to read

Lead pot
01-03-2023, 04:56 PM
He is not asking about adhesive (sticky) tape. He is asking about a Teflon tape used for pipe threads.

:D yes Wolf Dog it has been talked about LOL.

challenger_i
01-03-2023, 09:09 PM
One thing folks do not consider, when TEFLON tape is exposed to flame: when burned, TEFLON gives off cyanide gas.
Something to ponder.

dtknowles
01-03-2023, 10:25 PM
One thing folks do not consider, when TEFLON tape is exposed to flame: when burned, TEFLON gives off cyanide gas.
Something to ponder.

Not cyanide, phosgene. Not as toxic but still bad, just don't sniff it and you will be ok.

Tim

Winger Ed.
01-03-2023, 10:33 PM
I'd think it would not come off cleanly, and be drug along as a tail, at least for some distance.
If that happened, it can't be helpful.

dverna
01-04-2023, 01:50 AM
I have a tough enough time wrapping Teflon tap on pipe threads. I cannot see getting a consistent wrap on bullets.

barrabruce
01-04-2023, 05:31 AM
Dverna
First cut your tape end.
Wrap the with the thread pitch. 2.5 threads from the end.
The tape should unwind from the holder applying pressure like bandaging.half wide of tape to form an even layer
Cut the tape end and not rip it off.
Tighten by proceeding as normal.

Teflon tape wants to ooze and not grip.

herian67
01-04-2023, 06:46 AM
The NRA tried teflon tape back in the 60"s and had no luck with it.

BadgerShooter
01-04-2023, 01:28 PM
I've used it on minie bullets and fast twist, long 45 caliber bullets in a muzzleloader with mixed results. Haven't used it in metallic reloading. Two wraps of paper works excellent.

John in WI
01-04-2023, 08:23 PM
You beat me to it. Teflon is a flourocarbon material. It gives off a material called Oxygen diflouride. I don't know about it's relative toxicity--but anything that decomposes to flourine gas is probably not a good thing to inhale! In larger doses it can cause something called "polymer fume fever". Serious flu like symptoms. That said, they do make teflon specifically for use in buckshot loads in shotguns. It might be a concern, but I'm not sure I would worry about the toxicity aspect. As far as it's usefulness as a patching material, I honestly have no idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_fume_fever

OverMax
01-04-2023, 11:53 PM
(Just a bit too old school here yet)
Pipe thread sealer: Never have tried to swirl a cast prior to firing out a barrel wrapped in teflon tape.
From my prospective the white tape may be a bit to fragile. Yellow tape on the other hand used to prevent L.P. leaks may be a bit to stiff for the purpose.
Green Bar and other proper patching paper so to turn into confetti at muzzles end requires the bullet be wrapped the same direction as bore spin. >So to shred properly. A bullet wrapped LEFT hand. Fired thru a Right hand twist likely will wear its wrap to its terminal ending.

Maven
01-05-2023, 11:49 AM
Col. E.H. Harrison wrote about using teflon tape in the NRA publication, Cast Bullets. It works, but takes a bit of manual dexterity to do it right. Having said that, I don't think it superseded paper patching. I've tried it on occasion, but went back to paper (also on occasion). Coincidentally, I'd been thinking about the use of teflon tape early this AM, but won't try it again (too fussy for small gains). However, if you get the CB diameter right [for your bore] with teflon tape, it may be worth a trial run, say PP v. teflon tape.

john.k
01-06-2023, 10:44 PM
You can geta very thick kind of teflon tape ...its less likely to tear into strings ...you can also get a teflon paste ,might be usable.

popper
01-16-2023, 03:59 PM
According to Navy in the 60s, VIRGIN teflon caused several deaths when burnt and the gas inhaled. Burnt freon has the same result.

303Guy
01-19-2023, 02:34 PM
I would be surprised to learn that teflon tape would get hot enough to decompose in the bore. Paper shows no sign of scorching, either that paper between the core and the bore or the paper forming the patch tail.

This patch remnant had 40 gr of H4350 behind it.
https://i.postimg.cc/CLtDBPYd/Base-Ring.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I don't know what this one was loaded with.
https://i.postimg.cc/sD8f9bMd/001.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Of course, teflon might behave differently.

john.k
01-21-2023, 06:25 AM
i wouldnt be worried about breathing fumes........however its just possible the teflon may decompose in tiny amounts .....producing tiny amounts of acid residue in the barrel..........its proved in bearing technology that teflon deposits on both parts of a bearing,which is where the superior antifriction properties come from.

414gates
01-21-2023, 06:39 AM
Teflon tape can work, the problem is getting the correct thickness in any number of wraps. It's elastic, so the thickness can vary as you wrap, and you will need a lot more wraps compared to paper to get the same thickness.

There are much simpler, more effective ways.

Cash register rolls, the non-thermal variety, work well.

john.k
01-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Teflon tape may be better on a plain smooth sided bullet ,or on a lightly knurled one.....I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.

Thundermaker
01-21-2023, 01:15 PM
I recall back in the day there was big fuss about teflon coated pistol bullets,claimed they went straight thru police body armor..........all the gang bangers got AR and AKs now,which certainly go thru armor,coated or not.

Yeah, that was back when they were telling us that glocks could pass through metal detectors. Neither one is remotely true.

357Mag
01-25-2023, 01:06 PM
Wolfdog -

Howdy !

I mentioned the use of Dymo label maker taper, for .35 Remington in a M-336 XLR.

Please be advised:
The tape I used proved to be too thick to allow proper feeding of the loaded " tape " cartridge into the chamber. Loaded cartridge neck OD was too great.

I am running .010" neck wall thickness, and the label maker tape was too thick... even though the swaged lead SPBT I used mic's right @ .350" diam. These boots I pulled from saboted .45 calibre muzzle loader rounds.

I was able to shoot these w/ the case in a " Neckless " configuration, as an experiment.... and it worked for me.

With regards,
357Mag

357Mag
01-25-2023, 01:09 PM
Wolfdog .

OOPs... forgot to mention..... the DYMO label maker taper is self-stick Nylon tape.

With regards,
357Mag

450 Fuller
07-28-2023, 09:55 PM
Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.

gwpercle
08-15-2023, 01:20 PM
Snooky Williamson in his book "Winchester Lever Legacy" had some success with it. However, it
is prohibitively expensive and the results may be questionable.

However, in "
Getting a Stand" and the Buffalo Harvest, other hide hunter books: there is no mention of Teflon.

I have Snooky Williamson's book ... his results were a success . No leading and improved accuracy ... He was granted a US Patent on the method .
A Forty-Three foot long roll of 1/2" wide tape is $8.00 at Wally Mart ... that's 516 inches of tape (allow 2" per boolit = 258 boolits ... for $8.00 !
it is not expensive to Teflon-Tape wrap a boolit ... might be cheaper than powder coating . It is a bit time consoming but no more so than Paper Patching .
If you are into reloading Winchester Lever Action rifles this obscure book is a very interesting read ... lots of loads tested and photo's .
Snooky isn't a Cajun but is a Louisiana Boy and quite a character !
Gary

Bigslug
08-19-2023, 12:54 PM
Ok then. Nobody here has shot with Teflon thread tape. Wolfdog, commence your science.:Fire:

Maven
08-19-2023, 01:13 PM
Bigslug, I tried it long ago with the thinner teflon tape. It worked as advertised, but it was a small sample.

Krag1902
08-19-2023, 08:49 PM
I tried teflon tape on a smooth sided, grooveless, 30 caliber clone of 311291. I experimented with a wire wound bullet in the early '90s, wrote it up in Handloaders Bullet Making Annual (1991 or 1992). As a side project, I teflon wrapped a bunch of the bullets and shot them in my 30 WCF Model 54 and I think some in a 30-06. As I recall, they were accurate enough and there was no leading. If I remember right, I gave them two wraps of teflon tape and then ran them through a .308 sizer. It wasn't an exhaustive test but showed what could be done or expected.

barrabruce
08-21-2023, 06:44 AM
Might work then if I need a few thou thicker bullet than I can cast then.
I have a 30-30 that has a 0.300 bore and 0.315" grooves.
I think it would not have shot too well with std jacketed ammo.

I a tried wrapping Teflon tape once but couldn’t get an even width and wrap of the bullet, so never bother to test it.
I also tried aluminium foil. To the same effect.

I would tend to put the nose in a tube that held it then spin that while trying to wrap instead of trying to push the bullet along a bench if I chose to go down that rabbit hole again.

I have enough trouble with wrapping paper.
Ha