PDA

View Full Version : Reloading programs for cast

Wolfdog91
01-03-2023, 01:51 AM
I know some on here use the likes of quick load for cast load development. Wanted to know if there's where any others worth trying before I drop the $200 odd buck in a fully updated quick load program.
Thanks

414gates
01-03-2023, 02:00 AM
GRT - Gordon's Reloading Tool. (https://www.grtools.de/doku.php)

lar45
01-04-2023, 12:51 PM
I bought Load from a disk, years ago and was very dissapointed. I'm not sure if it's even around anymore.
I then got QuickLoad and have enjoyed it ever since. I still have my 3.5" floppy disk.

popper
01-04-2023, 01:19 PM
GRT works great but no updates since the guy passed. There is a linux version available.

charlie b
01-04-2023, 10:00 PM
The problem with the internal ballistics programs is the different powder characteristics at 'low' pressures. Most powders work best, and are optimized, for use at the max or near max pressures. When down loading a 'lot' the burn rate numbers may not be consistent with what is in the programs. Some of the ball powders are notorious for being inconsistent at lower pressures.

justindad
01-08-2023, 12:14 PM
I use GRT, but I have found it’s reported pressures can be half of reality. When ever I use GRT, I first find the nearest minimum load that I have in a load manual and see what GRT reports for pressure - this pressure is used as my max pressure as I move on to change charge, bullet length, bullet weight, &/or OACL. I would not change powder from that point, nor change bullet type between cast and j-word. I then give it a common sense judgement and proceed my load work up if I think it is safe.
There are some powders for which I would not use software to develop a load, but that may be due to my lack of experience.