PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog 323-170 in 8x57

dk17hmr
02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Corky (sundog) sent me 100 of Ranch Dogs new 323 bullet. Corky sized, checked, and lubed them to .325 for me. I finally got around to loading a few of them, only 20 to start with. I used mixed range pick up brass, Winchester Large Rifle primers, 30.0gr of IMR 4895, and a small tuff of filler, with the RD bullet seated to 2.825", my Lyman book says it should be around 1900FPS.

Our 8x57 rifle isnt really anything special, someone tried to make it into a custom and it looks like they stopped half way through thier project. My dads uncle bought it from an auction and when he passed away it was giving to us.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/8x571.jpg

Its cold and the wind is blowing like a freight train today here in Michigan but I went out back to the range and shot a few rounds anyways. These groups were off hand because I didnt want to dig the benchrest stuff out and then have to pack it back in.

25 yard 5 shot group
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/8x5725.jpg

35 yard 5 shot group
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/8x5735.jpg

50 yard 5 shot group
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/8x5750.jpg

The last 5 shot group wasnt worth posting because I was so cold by that time it wasnt very impressive.

I am going to do a little more work with this load off the bench when the temps arent in the single digits. I dont know about the rest of you but I see alot of potential for this bullet out of the 8x57.

sundog
02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
[smilie=w:

Looks like some potential there. Thanks for the range report.

felix
02-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Other than for the powder shifting, I concur with Corky! Load the case chock full of that spotter powder next time. About 40 grains would be right on. IMR7383. ... felix

richbug
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
How does it feed? Looks like a flying box car. Should be good for game. I just might have to get one.

Junior1942
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Look at your bottom right bullet hole in your 25 yd target. What you see there is the bullet starting to come apart due to excess spin. It may also be evident in the bottom right hole in the 35 yard target. Slow down to 1700 - 1800 fps and see what happens.

dk17hmr
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I had another target on top of the 25 yard target. I wasnt sure where it was going to hit so I covered my target but with targets. I wasnt to carefull pulling them down (cold hands) and probably pulled the target quickly and ripped the clover leaf. I dont think the bullet is coming apart. I just looked at the bore and it might be a bit brighter than when I got done cleaning the crude out of it. This batch of bullets I tumbled in JPW, I have another 50 that are just the way Corky sent them to me.

They fed fine, I wasnt rackin the bolt hard but taking it slow so I didnt loss my brass in the 18" of snow we have, open the bolt with my thumb over the case out the empty in my pocket and slap the bolt shut no problems.

I have more to load and shoot so I will see when the weather turns a bit nicer, I'll have to slow them down with 2400 or Red Dot, I dont have any bulky powder to fill the case besides TrailBoss.

sundog
02-03-2009, 07:54 PM
That boolit is already blooded. Ranchdog has taken a deer and couple of hogs with it in a Marlin .32 Win Spl. Read about it, with pics, on Ranch Dog Outdoors forum. I guess I'll have to find some empty 8mm cases to stuff.... That means yet another steekin' trip to the range, dang it! I only get 50 yards behind the barn.

Ricochet
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I was wondering about the feeding, too. I've had a lot of jamming problems with the 8mm Maximum boolit seated to a similar cartridge profile.

richbug
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I was wondering about the feeding, too. I've had a lot of jamming problems with the 8mm Maximum boolit seated to a similar cartridge profile.

I have been playing with the Maximum today. That is what got me thinking about that. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which rifles feed it.

bcp477
02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Feeding problems with anything other than long military spitzer bullets are very common with milsurp Mausers. Fortunately, however, this IS fixable. I've worked out the issues....and modified a number of such rifles..... which will now feed anything, including flat-nose and round-nose bullets, with no difficulties. The fix involves re-profiling and smoothing the feed ramp and especially the areas at the corners of the feed ramp, immediately under the forward edges of the magazine lips. It does involve a little work with a Dremel tool, but it is NOT difficult for anyone with a modicum of skill.

Let me know if you want a full write-up on the procedure. I've provided this on several forums, probably a half-dozen times now. I don't want to waste my efforts, unless someone is really interested....but, if they are, I will be happy to provide some information.

jonk
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
You know, I've shot that bullet, or else one very much like it, quite a bit. It was a group buy here but I got it second hand so I don't know if it was Ranch Dog's or not.

I did a lot of testing with 4895, 25-32 grains and tuft filler. I can't say as I ever got as good of results as I did with 4759, about 18 gr. I finally settled on that load to use at camp Perry incidentally. Missed a bronze when I jerked the gun and dumped one in the paper outside the bull. But I did get medals in the Garand and Springfield matches so I had my fun. :)

Ricochet
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see the writeup on fixing the Mausers. I've noticed that feed ramp area looks like it was gouged out by a half-blind Cub Scout with a chisel in most of mine, the worst being the Yugo M24/47. Nasty burrs in the corners, especially.

Suo Gan
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Feeding problems with anything other than long military spitzer bullets are very common with milsurp Mausers. Fortunately, however, this IS fixable. I've worked out the issues....and modified a number of such rifles..... which will now feed anything, including flat-nose and round-nose bullets, with no difficulties. The fix involves re-profiling and smoothing the feed ramp and especially the areas at the corners of the feed ramp, immediately under the forward edges of the magazine lips. It does involve a little work with a Dremel tool, but it is NOT difficult for anyone with a modicum of skill.

Let me know if you want a full write-up on the procedure. I've provided this on several forums, probably a half-dozen times now. I don't want to waste my efforts, unless someone is really interested....but, if they are, I will be happy to provide some information.

I would like to see the steps you are talking about.

swheeler
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Other than for the powder shifting, I concur with Corky! Load the case chock full of that spotter powder next time. About 40 grains would be right on. IMR7383. ... felix

I think the filler he's using probably keeps the powder positioned as intended.

swheeler
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see the writeup on fixing the Mausers. I've noticed that feed ramp area looks like it was gouged out by a half-blind Cub Scout with a chisel in most of mine, the worst being the Yugo M24/47. Nasty burrs in the corners, especially.

I'd like to see it too! The 8mm max fed just fine in 2 different 98's at 2.915", THEN my brother went and bought 3 24-47 Yugos from Sarco, they would hang up the nose until I seated to 2.865" which is what length I shoot in all now and they feed.

9.3X62AL
03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Give that boolit about 16.0 to 18.0 grains of 2400. This has been a real "sweet spot" in my G98/40 with the Lee 175.

TCLouis
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
If you have some try 18.5-22.5 of SR4759.

One of my rifles loved 18.5- 21.5 and went to heck with 22.5.

Another would not shoot any boolit load I tried in it so far.