PDA

View Full Version : Huntsman NEF WITH SMOKLESS

murf205
01-02-2023, 02:16 PM
I have a nearly new NEF Huntsman 50 cal ML gathering dust and my question is, can I mount a 44 or 30-30 barrel and load it to mild pressures without hurting the reciever or the Murf, for that matter. Anybody done this?

01-02-2023, 03:21 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the technical side of this question, but somewhere backing my foggy mind I got the impression that the two receivers were slightly different, by design, to prevent non-BP barrels from attaching. Have you actually linked one up?

murf205
01-02-2023, 08:46 PM
No I have not but I have read that they would fit but internet advice is pretty sketchy

rockrat
01-02-2023, 08:49 PM
I think the NEF Huntsman II's will accept a CF barrel. Whether it fits is just a crap shoot, just like buying an NEF barrel and hoping it fits your receiver. I believe BATFE had a ruling that you had to Fill out a 4473 for the gun, just because a CF barrel could be fitted.

Texas by God
01-02-2023, 09:31 PM
The Huntsman has a different firing pin I believe but don’t know for sure. It seems that it would- to set off percussion caps. Past that the Huntsman receiver would stand 30-30 or .44 mag or 45-70 but nothing hotter- if the barrel fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murf205
01-02-2023, 09:35 PM
I dont remember if I filled out a 4473 when I bought it since it has been several guns ago. I kno that the factory wanter you to send your gun in for a factory fit on smokeless frames but I have heard of people just putting one on and having success. If I knew anyone with a rifle barrel, I'd try it for fit.

murf205
01-02-2023, 09:46 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the technical side of this question, but somewhere backing my foggy mind I got the impression that the two receivers were slightly different, by design, to prevent non-BP barrels from attaching. Have you actually linked one up?

I saw that you just bought one today. When you get it, please fill us in on the fit and performance and which frame you put it on.

Shawlerbrook
01-04-2023, 08:58 AM
The Huntsman was the same receiver as the shotguns or Pardners. The Sidekick, which looked very similar was a muzzleloader only. There is a very active and informative group on this topic over on Graybeard.