PDA

View Full Version : Brand new, having trouble with Mosin slugs

WillieNelson
12-31-2022, 08:00 PM
Howdy, I am brand new to reloading and casting but I'm doing my research and reading Lyman's cast bullet book and going real slow, I had a question for you guys if you would. I just slugged the barrel of an old Mosin by knocking .315 lead balls through. I was thinking that since Mosins apparently come out at .308 - .313 in the grooves the extra .02 in diameter would be enough. Please see pictures but I think what happened is there wasn't enough material in the .315 ball to deform into the grooves and it just cut all the way down on the lands? All 4 slugs I tried measure out at about .302 which is apparently the correct lands diameter. My next size up is .350 lead ball, so my question, is .350 lead ball too big for a .308/.313 bore at the grooves? Also-when you guys make slugs do you typically get a full impression with the lands and grooves in it? Any helps appreciated, thanks.
308697 308698

BLAHUT
12-31-2022, 08:21 PM
I use creo a safe ? I believe its called ( brownells has ) I pour it in and fallow instructions and get a truer measurement ??

whisler
12-31-2022, 09:03 PM
As long as the slug is dead soft, and not ridiculously oversize (.350 is not), it will not be a problem. excess lead will be shaved off at the muzzle.

mehavey
12-31-2022, 09:05 PM
slugged the barrel of an old Mosin by knocking .315 lead balls through.Smack the ball with a plastic hammer to "flatten" it slightly (expanding the diameter slightly to 325-340+ or so...)
Lube with sizing lube, place on muzzle, smack with plastic hammer again to start/flush w/. muzzle.....
Push through and re-measure.

ShooterAZ
01-01-2023, 12:30 PM
You will get much more accurate results measuring with a micrometer instead of calipers.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2023, 06:19 PM
Yes, you should get both lands and grooves. If you use soft lead it doesn't matter how big your initial piece is, hit it with a mallet and it cuts the size of the muzzle. Use a metal rod (brass, or steel with tape) to drive the piece through your oiled barrel. DO NOT USE WOOD!

WillieNelson
01-01-2023, 06:37 PM
Got it, thanks guys I appreciate it. I think I was doing it wrong based on what I'm reading. My barrel is counterbored about an inch and my slug was big enough to drop it down the muzzle through the counterbored part, then it would stop at the beginning of the rifling. I thought that was enough but I see the slug needs to be somewhat wider than the muzzle at the crown. Ill try it again. Also picked up a micrometer and a 1/2lb of Cerrosafe to mess with. Thanks again. Also I discovered real fast that wood sucks for this. I ended up using a 5/16" brass rod with a .22 case slipped over the end, works like a champ.

Bazoo
01-01-2023, 08:26 PM
I slug, then I take the slug and squish it slightly with a hammer so that it will start on one side but be compressed on the other. Then I slug again for a better measurement

Wolfdog91
01-02-2023, 08:30 AM
Yes, you should get both lands and grooves. If you use soft lead it doesn't matter how big your initial piece is, hit it with a mallet and it cuts the size of the muzzle. Use a metal rod (brass, or steel with tape) to drive the piece through your oiled barrel. DO NOT USE WOOD!

Did that and ended up running the rod thought e slug and... Yeah was a big mess. Cut a bunch of wooden dowels I to 5" chunks and made sure my lead ball was really well lubed and didn't have any problems. Put a ball on the real smacked it in with a rubber mallet then tapped in on down then on top of that and so on till the ball popped out.