PDA

View Full Version : New Year starting in a Funk

dverna
12-31-2022, 12:19 PM
I have been avoiding the job, but I need to thin much of the herd. After my son married this year, I was informed his wife will not allow guns in the house. I have no one to leave my stuff to.

Yesterday I talked to the guy who does my FFL's. I wanted a cost for shipping handguns as it is not cheap or easy for a citizen to sell handguns. Looks like about $50. He will pack them and do the paperwork.

As we talked, I told him about my situation. Described the kinds of guns I would be selling. He suggested buying most of them expect the competition guns that would be difficult for him to sell.

I put together a preliminary list. I was in a bit of a funk, and maybe put more on the list than I should have. Anyway, it came out to over 30 guns not including the two K-80 combos. I doubt he will want them all. The guns he does not want to purchase, will be listed here or on Gunbroker. The K-80's will be listed on Trapshooters.com. The CAS guns will be listed on the SASS site

Decades of acquisition will soon go down the road. Saddens me, but that is life. At least I have memories of the competitions and great people I met along the way.

This is the second "thinning". The first was 15 years ago to get rid of "useless" guns. Now, many of my "good" guns will also become useless...at least to me.

truckjohn
12-31-2022, 12:37 PM
My collection is in need of a good purge too.

You are on the right track.

"Common" deer hunting and shooting rifles sell best locally... Stuff like cheap 22's, 30-06 and 270 bolt actions, normal garden variety pistols, and 12-ga shotguns are easy for a local dealer to sell. So are hunting rifles in hunting condition... Like say you've got a 1980's Winchester 94 that was carried a lot in the woods... Those sell pretty well locally.

Oddball and high value stuff tends to sit around locally. Internet gun sales sites are often the best way to go on these, as buyers know what they're looking for, and they will pay. Like say you have a few custom built bullseye pistols or some oddball mil-surp or a Pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 375H&H... Oddly enough, really good condition Marlins can do well online due to the market changing rapidly. That $700 lever action might sell for over double that. "Hunter grade" Marlins do better in the local gun shop because there's just so much competition online.

Also, I would advise having your FFL ship everything. Just include it in the cost. The good part is that he does business with the shipping companies, and if there is a problem, he can deal with it through official channels rather than dumping you into endless customer service nightmares where you try to explain that private citizens can ship guns. Even the "Antique" stuff.. and even to an FFL. They will complain, but it's disclosed up front.

Baltimoreed
12-31-2022, 12:40 PM
I would be in a funk too. Thats a real bummer. Don’t have an alternative other than possibly a mutual friend who shoots and has room for your safe where your son could pick up your toys, go to the range or hunt and return them. You can’t help who you fall in love with I guess. Maybe she’ll come around. I’m thinning things too but just stuff I know my son doesn’t care about. Good luck.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-31-2022, 12:44 PM
You can mail a handgun in a USPS flat rate box if you are an FFL. I would look around for someone more reasonable. Maybe get your son help you go to a gun show or two. ( Can you do private sales that way in MI )?

SSGOldfart
12-31-2022, 12:49 PM
I'?d love to see that list:redneck::killingpc:bigsmyl2:

rancher1913
12-31-2022, 12:53 PM
unless your passing is emanate, i would hold off selling your stuff, marriages fail or maybe your kid will grow up a little and want them down the road

blackthorn
12-31-2022, 12:56 PM
I would not be in too much of a hurry to get rid of those guns. One thing I have learned in life is that things change. If your son's wife is giving him ultamations this early on, it is likely she will just get worse as time goes on. That scenario gets old REAL fast for most folks. She may just not be around all that long.

BLAHUT
12-31-2022, 12:59 PM
I would Wate on selling ? Grandkids have a way of changing minds ? Time has a way of changing what is allowed ? Ask me how I know ??

dverna
12-31-2022, 01:17 PM
I'?d love to see that list:redneck::killingpc:bigsmyl2:

Do not want to violate selling rules so will not PM or email a list. But I am sure some of the guns will wind up here.

SSGOldfart
12-31-2022, 02:08 PM
well I didn't
thank a email or PM would break the rules. I can see where posting it in your thread would be a problem with the rules. But I understand I too try to stay on the good side of our rules.

Winger Ed.
12-31-2022, 02:29 PM
I've been thinning the herd for about 10 years.
No big rush, but my kids aren't shooters.
The weapons would end up in pawn shops, or stand in the closet until they got stolen.
There will still be a few for the grandkids,
but whoever thinks they're going to inherit a high value weapons collection is in for a big surprise..

I've sold about 15, and actually given away 6-7 to people that will appreciate them and/or shoot them.
Since I set about thinning out the safe, I've only bought four--- but I figure that's progress for me.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-31-2022, 06:17 PM
I have many rifles I have collected over the years, mostly single shots. Seems the only rifles selling now are the black guns. Plastic and aluminum.

imashooter2
12-31-2022, 06:30 PM
How sad that your son has signed up for such a life. My prayers go out that the marriage becomes the partnership it is supposed to be.

Half Dog
12-31-2022, 07:06 PM
Don’t get rid of all of them until I get a chance to shoot some trap with you. I feel you have much knowledge I need to absorb. Kiddo and I began our venture into shotgun sports, not too long ago, and we have a long journey ahead of us before we are satisfied. I wish you the best in your decisions and I look forward to your input that helps in our journey. You have things of great value, items and knowledge, and I hope you get rewarded for the accumulation. Best wishes to you.

elmacgyver0
12-31-2022, 07:15 PM
A couple years into my marriage my wife said I want all of those guns out of the house.
I told her she knew I had guns when I married her, and I intend to keep my guns.
I also told he if she didn't like it to not let the door hit er in the ass on the way out.
I said, I will make one compromise, I will buy a security cabinet for the guns, could not afford a full blown safe at the time.
This seemed to be a doable compromise as I married her when I was 27 and I'm now 71 and still married.
I would say keep your guns; they can figure out what to do with them once you're gone.
My daughter and her family have no use for my guns, so they are going to my nephews.
There are plenty of people, perhaps not family that would love to have your guns that you could leave them to.
Keep your guns and enjoy them, pass them along to someone who would enjoy them, some friends are a lot closer than family.
Blood isn't everything, but perhaps is, after all we were all supposably descended from Adam and Eve if you believe in such stuff.

elmacgyver0
12-31-2022, 07:17 PM
I have many rifles I have collected over the years, mostly single shots. Seems the only rifles selling now are the black guns. Plastic and aluminum.

I love single shots, that said I have been working on a buffer less AR pistol.

Hondolane
12-31-2022, 07:49 PM
I have a daughter, her husband and three Grandchildren in Alaska. Also, two nephews, two brothers and Brother in Law. I'm blessed to have a people I can leave them to. On the other hand, maybe it's they who blessed in getting the guns.

Shurshot2
12-31-2022, 08:22 PM
Ask your son to buy a safe, and think of the investment aspect.

Dave W.
12-31-2022, 08:55 PM
We have to be related someplace,might have to go back to Adam & Eve, but...., just leave them to me. [smilie=l:

Handloader109
12-31-2022, 09:50 PM
Unless you need the money from the sales, and I doubt it as you were going to just pass them on, I think I'd only thin what I didn't really want to use or keep. 1 or 50. Keep your guns.
Let the kid deal with them after you are gone. I'd put this ffl dealers information in the safe with a note to your son to contact him to sell them if he didn't want to keep them. Does you really no good to sell now. And maybe you will be around Long enough to pass some on to a grandchild....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
12-31-2022, 10:08 PM
Well I don't have a son, have pretty much given my son in law a Hipoint Carbine in .40sw for home defense. And gave my daughter my Heritage rough rider in .22lr/.22mag with fixed sights. (Which I shortly replaced with a better model with adjustable sights)

Grandson has Epilepsy and just got home from an ambulance ride and 24 hours in hospital that thankfully he does not remember.
So I am not sure I can count on being able to trust him with being safe with firearms.

Grandaughter has some growing up to do yet. Coming up on 9, couple more years should tell the tale.

But I have zero interest in trading guns that are growing in value for money that is decreasing in value.

Someone is going to get a heck of a nice stash. Just a question of who at this point.

MUSTANG
12-31-2022, 10:34 PM
Your son needs to take a lesson from MUSTANG. Before marrying my wife I informed her : I got the Guns, the Dog, then the Wife. They go in inverse order. On our wedding day I told her the story if the farmer in the 1800's who got the "Mail Order Bride" - He picked his new bride up at the Train Station and told her to get on the Wagon. As they left town the Farmer's horse stumbled, he got out and looked the horse in the eye and said "That's One", as they traveled down the road the horse just stopped in the road and did not want to go - the Farmer Got out and looked the horse in the eye and told the Horse "That's Two", and pulled th horse till it stopped. As they neared the farm a Coyote jumped and ran across the horse, which bolted and started running. After the farmer pulled and pulled on the reins he got out of the wagon, walked up to the horse and said "That's Three" - pulled his gun and shot the horse dead. His new bride jumped into a Tirade and finally yelled "what the Heck are you Doing?" At which time the Farmer looked deeply in her eye and said "That's ONE".

Moral of the story is that the wife and I jokingly poke fun at each other over time and tell each other "That's One".

I taught my wife to shoot and bought her guns. She has bought a couple for me over the years. Son's one and three have guns and understanding wives. I trained the daughter in how to use firearms and bought her 1st "self Defense" gun when she went off to college, and she is married to a former California Liberal who' says - "If anything happens at the House; she'll defend us and the baby so I am not worried". Son #2 has them - but married (Literally) a Radical, Leftist, Israeli, Jewish Woman. He has not gotten rid of any of the guns he bought or that I gave him.

We all will leave this Globe when the Master calls us. What we have will be left behind, and if we plan we must assign where the worldly good we have go. I have only traded two forearms I bought over the years, and sold none. I have given some away to needy/deserving friends and family though. I have a list of where and to whom every firearm is supposed to go when I leave this globe. Barring a financial calamity; none will be sold.

dverna
12-31-2022, 11:54 PM
Mustang,
My son’s wife is a radical liberal Jew. I find it interesting is that a race that endured centuries of persecution and the Holocaust would want to live unarmed.

But it is not my problem.

Wag
01-01-2023, 10:48 AM
I need to make some friends who are younger than me or I'm not going to have anyone to leave all this stuff to. Guns. Ammo. Lead. Loading gear, safes.... The works.

My fear is that if I'm last to die between the wiff and I, my family will simply come along and steal it out of the house.

--Wag--

MrWolf
01-01-2023, 02:57 PM
Unless you need the money from the sales, and I doubt it as you were going to just pass them on, I think I'd only thin what I didn't really want to use or keep. 1 or 50. Keep your guns.
Let the kid deal with them after you are gone. I'd put this ffl dealers information in the safe with a note to your son to contact him to sell them if he didn't want to keep them. Does you really no good to sell now. And maybe you will be around Long enough to pass some on to a grandchild....

This is basically what I plan on doing. I don't need to sell anything and I like having them around. If my kids decide they don't want them then THEY can make the arrangements. I will be gone so oh well, their monetary loss at the very least. Figure they are getting something for nothing, they can at least do a lil work. Besides, hoping my son becomes more enthusiastic a out them and my daughter - who knows. Good luck.
Ron

Shawlerbrook
01-01-2023, 03:06 PM
Evidently your son loves her very dearly or guns were not that important to him. I do agree I cannot figure out why American Jews have the political beliefs they do.

farmbif
01-01-2023, 03:08 PM
maybe buy your sons wife a ticket to the holy land and she will quickly find out that every jewish child born there serves in the military and learns how useful a gun is. thats my understanding of how it is there anyway

Froogal
01-01-2023, 03:28 PM
How sad that your son has signed up for such a life. My prayers go out that the marriage becomes the partnership it is supposed to be.

I agree 100%. The wife that will not allow guns in her house needs to be educated.

dverna
01-01-2023, 04:24 PM
I agree 100%. The wife that will not allow guns in her house needs to be educated.

The far left do not listen or entertain opposing view points.

I called my son today to wish him a Happy New Year. His wife is in NY visiting family and her leftist friends.

I told my son many of my guns are going up for sale but I am keeping the guns he gave me last year. Our agreement was I would hold his guns for three years in case he and his wife changed their mind. I also told him I loved him in spite of our political beliefs being 180 degrees out of sync and that getting into pissing contests did neither of us any good. It would not matter once I take my dirt nap.

I am feeling better about the whole mess. I am still going to have many toys to play with, and enough weapons for “serious work” to be very well prepared if the SHTF.

I think back on how guns have impacted my life and smile. I have met some of the best shooters in the world and made wonderful friends. I loved competitive shooting. Got not too shabby with rifles, pistols and shotguns. And in spite of old age and challenges I have an activity I can keep on keeping on and enjoy.

georgerkahn
01-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Don -- my heart is out to you. You wrote that you were informed re his wife's demand. None of my business, but (I assume you reside in driving distance?) I'd suggest an in-person social gather -- e.g., take all family our for a medium-priced restaurant meal. (Important that this is in "neutral territory"!) Then, as part of dinner-time conversation, simply state you're getting on in years and for so many had the firearms as YOUR recreation. They've accrued in value $$$-wise, and it would really give immense pleasure for you to -- eventually -- hand them down to your son.
In no way be confrontational -- even to a flat "NO WAY!!!" -- at least pretend it's not the end of the world to you if she enforces a ban...
BUT, I do believe you are due -- from HER mouth -- her feelings. In can be added the "R"-word: respect. If she has credible reasons for her feelings, you can even voice. "that really sucks, but I respect you and your reasons." Life -- including hopefully a happy marriage betwixt your son and her -- goes on...
On the other hand, years back a buddy named Charles married a gal who also had a zero tolerance for guns, and he rented a table at an upcoming show and sold most all. (I even bought two :)). Anyhoos -- 27 months later he was again single -- and, without his firearms. (I gave back the lever action (a Model 36 Marlin) and handgun...)
BEST!
geo

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2023, 05:01 PM
Well, I totally understand your situation. Since you didn't ask for advice, I won't be giving any...other than a few general comments.
Your plan to reduce the collection seems like a sound one to me...and I do think that now is as good of time as any (politically) to sell 'em, judging by the tea leaves in my cup. As to the funk feeling, you'll just have to get outside and do some fun stuff and put the drudgery of the collection reduction out of your mind.
good luck.

alfadan
01-01-2023, 05:04 PM
You have guns and shoot because YOU like them, not anyone else.

01-01-2023, 05:25 PM
deverna ~. Get the last laugh and leave 'em to your great-grandkids or even to your great, great grandkids. Hang around long enough to teach 'em, too. It's not right to have to divest yourself from the things you love. Best of luck.

imashooter2
01-01-2023, 07:03 PM
Don -- my heart is out to you. You wrote that you were informed re his wife's demand. None of my business, but (I assume you reside in driving distance?) I'd suggest an in-person social gather -- e.g., take all family our for a medium-priced restaurant meal. (Important that this is in "neutral territory"!) Then, as part of dinner-time conversation, simply state you're getting on in years and for so many had the firearms as YOUR recreation. They've accrued in value $$$-wise, and it would really give immense pleasure for you to -- eventually -- hand them down to your son.
In no way be confrontational -- even to a flat "NO WAY!!!" -- at least pretend it's not the end of the world to you if she enforces a ban...
BUT, I do believe you are due -- from HER mouth -- her feelings. In can be added the "R"-word: respect. If she has credible reasons for her feelings, you can even voice. "that really sucks, but I respect you and your reasons." Life -- including hopefully a happy marriage betwixt your son and her -- goes on...
On the other hand, years back a buddy named Charles married a gal who also had a zero tolerance for guns, and he rented a table at an upcoming show and sold most all. (I even bought two :)). Anyhoos -- 27 months later he was again single -- and, without his firearms. (I gave back the lever action (a Model 36 Marlin) and handgun...)
BEST!
geo

I see little probability of a happy marriage with a wife that delivers what should be preferences as fatwa. I don’t like guns and I wish you wouldn’t have them is very different from I won’t allow guns in the house.

Battis
01-02-2023, 06:18 AM
Seems to me that you're putting way too much unfair emphasis and importance on the girl that your son, who you raised, chose to marry. She's not trying to convert you to any of her ideologies or beliefs. Her religion, background, heritage, who she votes for, etc, should have absolutely ZERO influence on what you decide to do with your collection. Hopefully, their marriage will survive long after you and your guns are no longer a part of their lives. She doesn't have to "come around" for anyone except your son. They have plenty of other tough issues to deal with.
I have antique guns that were 100 years old when I was born. Those guns found their way to me through the generations, as they will find their proper places when I'm gone. Enjoy your guns - keep them around if that feels right, sell or give them away if that feels right, but don't base it on the possibility that a failed marriage will make your decision easier.

Don Purcell
01-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Did he not know she was of this mind? What is her next demand going to be when gets away with this one?

rockrat
01-02-2023, 12:36 PM
If you sell your firearms, and you have no plans for the money you will receive, you could put it in a trust for Grandkids for maybe when they turn 30. That way the wife cannot get her hands on the funds. Besides, its gun money, if she doesn't like guns, she should't like the money from guns

Handloader109
01-02-2023, 02:08 PM
You guys (last couple of replys) didn't read his last comments. It appears it isn't just his dil, but his son who has moved to the lib side. So there really isn't a wait it out for her to leave... but again, why worry about them. Use and enjoy them and sell AND BUY what you want and let them worry about what guns are left when you pass.

Don Purcell
01-02-2023, 02:25 PM
My comment still stands. SHE said no guns in the house.

dverna
01-02-2023, 02:27 PM
If you sell your firearms, and you have no plans for the money you will receive, you could put it in a trust for Grandkids for maybe when they turn 30. That way the wife cannot get her hands on the funds. Besides, its gun money, if she doesn't like guns, she should't like the money from guns

You are a gennieass!!! But alas (or maybe thankfully) no grandkids. My son and DIL are both in their thirties and do not know if they want children.

As to the others, I appreciate the comments and like getting other opinions. I will start listing some of the guns the FFL dealer does not want once I hear back from him. I expect a NIB Winchester 9422 will be offered here...just to tease you guys a bit. Do not PM me about it please.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-02-2023, 04:43 PM
Wanna hear my story? Well, I've been passionate about guns and shooting all my life. First .22 for Christmas at age 12, surplus .303 British at age 14 for deer hunting. Thereafter, I acquired every gun that came my way if I liked it and if I could afford it. There was never any rhyme or reason to my acquisitions, and those were the only two criteria. If I'd decided to collect pristine Winchesters of 1873 Colts I'd be a millionaire, but I just got what I liked. Sometimes I liked it two or three, rarely even more, times. Eventually the high water mark stood at just a few over the 500 mark. I was a professional gunsmith and FFL Dealer for a number of years, and also followed occupations that required me to carry a pistol daily. I loved almost every aspect of the hobby, including reloading, shooting, gun shows, etc., etc.

All of those firearms became an increasing burden, as they required periodic maintenance to protect their value, although I never looked at it as an investment; rather, I wanted to keep them in the best condition possible because I like guns. Obviously I couldn't clean, oil, and preserve each one every couple of months while still following other necessities of life, so I derived a system whereby I'd clean and repack about 100 every year, which let me get to all of them in five years. I probably used a case of Rem Oil, a small pickup load of Brownell's storage bags and gun wrap paper, and over the years purchased a couple of hundred of the cheapie hard cases for storage of the long guns.

Long about age 78 I realized that while I was not losing my love of firearms, I was losing my desire to be constantly working on them. I decided that they had collectively gone from being a source of pleasure to a burden, and also decided that I'd like to sell many of them. Of course, firearms having been my all consuming passion for most of that time I knew I could never get rid of all of them. So, like many of you, I'll be leaving some I just couldn't part with; and also, like many of you, the
immediate family have some for home defense and casual plinking, but that's as far as their interest goes. I figured I'd trim it down to about 100 "keepers", and would lie in bed at night counting guns instead of sheep. "I've got to keep that Win. '94. Got to keep that SMLE. Got to keep that .38 M&P---etc." You get the idea. I was surprised at how fast I'd hit the 100 number of keepers if I didn't fall asleep about number 25 counting on my fingers in the dark. So, once I had the resolve I lacked the ability, as I live pretty remotely and it's about 85 miles to the nearest UPS and Fed-Ex hubs for shipping. There are satellite shipping stores closer, but they won't handle firearms, so every gun I sold would require about a 170 mile round trip. So I just tread water for awhile. Something would come along, I thought.

Then, in the summer of '21 the local water wells started going dry. There's been a long drought with insufficient snow in the high mountains, and the under ground water is based on the amount of snow melt. In the county where I live there are presently over 400 dry water wells. A 1/4th mile-away neighbor had the first well to go dry in my area, around the first of August. Mine was still working. But I happen to own a 3 acre parcel across the road from his residence that has an uninhabitable cabin on it and a well. We checked the well and it seemed to have a lot of water, so I let him run a pvc line from the unused well across the road and across his pasture for about 150 yards. He plumbed it into his well's pressure tank, and "voila"--he had water once again. Then, about the middle of September my residential well went dry. The only immediate solution seemed to be to periodically visit the well the neighbor was now using and fill up 6 or 8 five gallon plastic jugs and haul them home in the tractor bucket. Life started to change. I had to turn off the hot water heater, as there was no water entering the house, so cold water was the order of the day for everything, hands, faces, dishwashing, etc. Some good friends from the church visited and brought me 18 five gallon kitty litter buckets for water storage. I asked the lady if she really has that many cats and she just blushed and bowed her head, while her husband was grinning and nodding "yes"! Then, about the end of August the mutually used well went dry.

We have a County Watermaster's Office at the County Seat, and they advised me that I could fill my jugs as needed at a winter snow park about 6 miles distant. I did that three times, and then they actually took the faucets off the standpipes! Might have been a lack of interagency coordination there. So I was then forced to drive 37 miles to the nearest town and purchase water from a purified water dispenser in front of a supermarket at $2 per 5 gallon jug. I usually filled about 18 jugs and kitty litter buckets on my approximately every 10 day trips. By now it had started to snow, and I remember standing in the snow for about 45 minutes filling jugs and buckets. Memorable. Cold. Once a month we'd drive about 20 miles and stay overnight in a motel room so as to get a real shower.

It's rare that a citizen now days can praise their government, but I can not say enough kind things about the County's Watermaster Office and their response to the dry well situation. As the number of dry wells increased they offered free 250 and 500 gallon water storage tanks, and hired a 7,000 gallon water tank truck to visit the area weekly and rendezvous with citizens in need of water. No charge--your tax dollars at work. Most of those in need accepted the free tanks and mounted
the 250 gallon tank on the back of a pickup or pull trailer, would fill that up at the tank truck, and then haul it home and transfer the contents to their 500 gallon tank. Some would hurry back for a second load. Hardheaded me, I always figured that the solution to my problem would be a new, deeper well, so I stayed with the jugs and buckets, but it was nice not to have to make the long trip to town. I didn't want my truck to become a dedicated water hauling machine, as I needed to haul firewood with it.

So now we were into the middle of winter, lots of snow, low temperatures, and using the kitty litter buckets to flush the toilet. Because there was no hot water from dishes, showers, etc. going through the drain the plumbing froze solid. Now it was using a porta potty--a toilet seat on a metal frame with a bucket attached beneath, and disposing of that at the end of every day. It was hike out into the snow, well away from the house, dig a hole and bury the contents. We survived the winter, were glad to see warmer weather arrive, the snow melt....and the porta potty contents emerged from the snow. Interestingly, the solids had somehow disappeared, but there were piles of toilet paper here and there in the woods, which I shoveled into some containers and buried with the tractor's help. As the problem continued into the summer it was easy to dig holes in the earth for disposal. But for some reason I developed what I think is sciatica and those walks were killing me. I was still determined to get a new well, as was my neighbor, but all of the well drillers were booked for two years, and charging what they wanted to charge for their services.

Meanwhile, the State of Oregon granted the County $23 million for well relief, and the County decided to pass out the money to those with dry wells as grants, a 75% reimbursement for money spent in deepening existing wells or drilling new wells. One had to obtain signed estimates from the well driller and pump service, submit the estimates, and receive the money. But, then the rules changed and the work had to be completed first and the grant awarded after an inspection. Needless to say, most of us average Joes didn't have the money handy to get the work done before receiving the grant. I was awarded a grant for $24,700, but it wasn't in hand. My first thought was to get a bank loan, but they wouldn't take my properties--three of them--for security as a manufactured home is not considered real estate unless on a permanent foundation, and they won't loan money on vacant land. To be fair, one credit union offered $25k on my signature (surely couldn't have been my looks!), but it wasn't enough to pay the total bill and I didn't really want to go into debt. I had the money, just tied up in this and that. Some good news though-- my neighbor found a well driller with a couple of late Fall slots open. He wanted 1/3rd down. We coughed up the down payment, and he promised to show up with his well drilling rig around the first of December.

Old habits die hard, and I was perusing the offerings on Gunbroker, admiring a collectable rifle when I happened to read the small print. Actually, I'd purchased a couple of guns from this source before, but for some reason never realized that it was an auction company instead of a gun shop. The small print said that they'd come and pick up any guns I wanted to sell, catalog, insure, transport them to their facility, auction them off on Gunbroker, pack and ship them to the new owners, all for a 20% commission. All of a sudden the clouds rolled back, the sun came out, and I knew the answer to my problem. I called the auction people and they came and hauled away a total of 190 firearms in two visits.

Although I'm sharing all of this usually personal information, I'm going to balk at saying what the proceeds from the two auctions were, but will say that it was a lot! The first one paid for the entire well job, and the second was just extra that I invested in something else. That left me with roughly another 300 pieces, most of which I intend to dispose of in the Spring. I sit here now in front of the computer, and looking over the top I can see the new well out by the tree line. How can I tell you of the pleasures I now enjoy of having warm water, showers, flush toilet, etc.? Pure heaven. As far as I know, only the neighbor and I were able to financially swing new wells, and many in the area still depend on the water tanker, which continues to make its weekly visit. In the summer the tanker was actually delivering to the homes and filling the 500 gallon tanks, but now, once again, the snow is here so those in need must meet the truck at a central location. Again, the response of the Watermaster's Office was so uncharacteristic of modern government that I remain in awe. The well driller, a good guy, did show up right at the first of December (I'm talking last month) and took four days to drill me a new well which he says produces a bit of 30 gallons per minute. My neighbor was next in line, and got the same results. Ours were his last two wells for this year, and the last day working on the neighbor's new well it started to snow. He took his rig home and went into hibernation for the winter. But, he did offer me a good price for my lathe and milling machine, which deal will be consummated in the Spring. His assistant remarked, "This well is a really good one, and should last your family through the next generation." And, to tell the truth, after I got to thinking about it, I called the lady at the Watermaster's Office, with whom I had so many conversations over the past 18 months, and told her that I wouldn't be claiming the Dry Well Grant after all, as I'd really had the funds all along and just needed a while to find the solution. It felt good when she said, "Mr. Gebirgsjager, you're an honest man. We'll always be friends." Influencing that decision was also the thought that someday the State or County might claim part ownership of the well if they had a financial interest. Guess I'm just old and suspicious.

And, having aged a couple more years to age 80 I'm glad to have the burden lifted, and see the firearms go to appreciative owners. Oh, I'm sure that Bubba got a few of them, but one must remain positive. I sent out pristine Carcanos, Mausers, SMLEs, others, and many handguns. A lot of years eventually taught me that there are a few diamonds amongst the gravel that are well worth keeping, but the others rarely went to the range, and some never did. Of course I'll always (how long?) have at least a couple of 1911s, Krags, levers, .38 specials, Garand, Luger, etc.; but I just no longer needed the CZ-52s, Nambus, Mannlicher straight pulls, etc. Get my drift? And, as my last word (bet you're glad to hear that!) let me say that the Holy Bible says that worldly possessions can become a man's master. I just kind of feel good all over--except that sciatica is hanging in there. And just last night I was looking at Gunbroker and saw this really neat late 1940s Llama pistol, and I still have my C&R License, and....and....and...I.... ;)

DG

john.k
01-03-2023, 01:19 AM
Im getting on,and got bigger stuff than guns to worry about......the guys who bought the yard off me wanted to know when I was going to move the crane (20 ton crawler)......I said what crane ?.....thats your crane ,not mine.......Big stuff gotta go first.

MrWolf
01-03-2023, 10:45 AM
Glad it worked out for you DG. You got lucky (actually not luck but couldn't come up with a better word - karma?) and were able to work everything out and still enjoy what you have loved all these years. Good for you. God bless.
Ron

dverna
01-03-2023, 11:31 AM
Good post DG. My "peak" was far short of your 500 but still substantial. When I realized what I had, I coined the term "useless guns" that I use on this site a lot. I have not missed any of the guns I have sold. Thus, they were in fact useless to me. But they may be a prize to someone else.

BTW, my FFL responded with a 20% fee for listing, dealing with emails, shipping and paperwork. Good to hear that you thought that was fair in your dealings...I think it is fair as well but nice to have it confirmed. I sent him an email this morning suggesting we do 12 in the first batch. If that works out, he can do the rest of guns I decide to sell. The only stipulation he has is there be no reserve. That is a bit of a concern, but I understand his perspective. Many people think they have "treasures", try to cover the cost of selling. The market establishes value, not our opinions.

I am actually a bit pumped up. This will generate cash I can use to invest in making my rural life a bit easier and will permit me live to in my "little slice of heaven" a few more years. The first purchase will be an entry level firewood processor. I have come up with a method to process firewood without having to buck logs, lift rounds, split them, stack wood, or manually handle splits from storage racks/piles to the house. The only time I handle splits is when I take them from the garage to the fireplace. The processor costs about $10k. I may also set up a little side business selling firewood. With no NG in my area ,and propane getting expensive, there is a healthy demand for firewood.

For anyone interested in how I accomplish this, here is how the firewood is processed:
https://range-road.com/products/firewood-processors/ecopro300/

Here is how the splits are stored. The outfeed conveyor from the processor dumps splits into the bag.
https://northernwoodsmen.com/6-pack-face-cord-firewood-tote-bags/

I have a tractor to move the bulk bags of firewood, and a pallet jack to move bags on pallets in the garage.

This was the first year trying bags. I bought 6 to test the concept and it worked well.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-03-2023, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies, Don and Ron. That is an interesting machine, Don--I don't quite know what to make of it. There are only two kinds of wood here, lodgepole pine, about 98%, and Alder. Both are easily split with a maul. I've kind of felt the need to do it the old fashioned way, cut up the rounds and hand split them as part of the effort to stay alive. Or, I guess I could say, "I need the exercise." Last summer I bought the largest EGO electric chainsaw, and was very happy with it's performance. My ears appreciated the change also.

DG

dverna
01-03-2023, 01:12 PM
DG, firewood in northern Michigan is normally, hardwoods. My last loads were oak and maple. I have access to pine logs that I can get for free. Most people will not burn pine but I would mix it in for use during the day. Hard to beat free...LOL. But if I were to sell firewood it needs to be hardwood.

There is a perception pine causes chimney fires but IMO that is a concern only if it is wet. Season it for two years and it will burn OK but not serve well for an overnight fire. If I get those pine logs I will split them in larger pieces, so they burn a bit slower.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-03-2023, 02:19 PM
Pine is not the best, for sure. It distills a lot of creosote when it burns, which coats the inside of the chimney. I have to clean mine about every 3 months, as it plugs up. Just bought one of those chimney cleaning kits that has flexible rod segments and a cleaning head that looks something like a weedwhacker with thick cords, powered by a 1/2" electric drill. I had a retired fire chief coming out and doing it for me, but he's gone in for knee replacements and won't be back in business until next April.
About 25 years ago I had a house with a chimney on both sides, kind of the Southern Plantation look. They were built out of concrete blocks with a terra cotta liner inside. They caught fire 2 or 3 times each while I lived there (about 15 years) and it was interesting, but not particularly dangerous. Looked like a jet's afterburner shooting up into the air. You would hear "whoosh", run outside and look up and see about a 15 ft. orange and blue flame shooting skyward. The wood I burned at that location was mostly fir, some madrone and oak, no pine.

DG

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-03-2023, 03:38 PM
SNIP>>>

All of those firearms became an increasing burden, as they required periodic maintenance to protect their value, although I never looked at it as an investment; rather, I wanted to keep them in the best condition possible because I like guns.

SNIP>>>

When I realized what I had, I coined the term "useless guns" that I use on this site a lot. I have not missed any of the guns I have sold. Thus, they were in fact useless to me.
We all have our own words...
I had a Auction in 2015 and sold about 75% of my collection. Numerous times, before the Auction, I referred to the collection as becoming a liability instead of remaining a asset. I didn't really miss any of the sold guns, but I did buy one of them back, oops :oops:

MrWolf
01-03-2023, 10:19 PM
Pine is not the best, for sure. It distills a lot of creosote when it burns, which coats the inside of the chimney. I have to clean mine about every 3 months, as it plugs up. Just bought one of those chimney cleaning kits that has flexible rod segments and a cleaning head that looks something like a weedwhacker with thick cords, powered by a 1/2" electric drill. I had a retired fire chief coming out and doing it for me, but he's gone in for knee replacements and won't be back in business until next April.
About 25 years ago I had a house with a chimney on both sides, kind of the Southern Plantation look. They were built out of concrete blocks with a terra cotta liner inside. They caught fire 2 or 3 times each while I lived there (about 15 years) and it was interesting, but not particularly dangerous. Looked like a jet's afterburner shooting up into the air. You would hear "whoosh", run outside and look up and see about a 15 ft. orange and blue flame shooting skyward. The wood I burned at that location was mostly fir, some madrone and oak, no pine.

DG

I have what I think is the same unit. About four or five sections and attaches to a big weed whacker head. Go slow with the electric drill and you do not need to use the plastic sheet over the fireplace opening. Actually grabbed a few more loads of firewood the last few decent days. With my back I basically use my Kubota and whatever I can chain from near our road/paths, I drag home. Helps having 81 acres of trees to get plenty. I use the wood for emergencies like furnace going out (almost four weeks last winter) and to take the damp chill out of the air. I could not heat solely with wood as it would physically kill me.

Ed K
01-06-2023, 09:37 AM
Very interesting thread - from firearm overstock through to firewood processing. It all interests me!

lightman
01-06-2023, 10:59 AM
Der Gebirgsjager, that was an interesting story. Not at all boring. Glad that you eventually got water again!

I've been in 2 deer clubs that didn't have water. On one of them we had a large plastic tank that caught the run-off water off of the roof and an electric RV pump to pump it into the house. And some type of filter. The water was clean enough to bath with (the Wife loved what it did for her hair) and wash with but we didn't drink or cook with it. At the other club several of us had galvanized metal cans like the old fashioned cans service stations used to use to fill radiators with. We hauled water from home in barrels and heated water on a fish cooker in these cans for showers and dish washing. I put a hook on one of the rafters on the back porch to hang it on and that was our shower. One club eventually got county water and we pooled our money and had a well put down at the other club. Ah, the pleasure of running water!

gwpercle
01-06-2023, 11:11 AM
Wives come ... and Wives Go ... things change and there is no law that say's you must stay married to wife #1 .
Don't be in an all fired hurry to dump all your fire arms ... Keep your favorites ...
Who knows ... maybe the kid will change his mind about staying with a demanding and overbearing woman ...
Gary

lightman
01-06-2023, 11:28 AM
dverna, I feel your pain. I'm sorry to hear that your Son is in that situation.

I have sold guns and gun related stuff 2 different times. Once at the beginning of the Obama years and again when the pandemic first started. Both times a buddy with a firearms license sold them on GunBroker for me. His strategy was to list them for 99 cents and let them fight over them. This worked out well for the most part. He had the buyer pay shipping and made a little on that. He also charged his friends a small token charge. Both times I ask my boys if they wanted any of them before I sold. Fortunately both of my boys are hunters and shooters and my Grandsons are too. Or will be. My guns are in my will.