PDA

View Full Version : This forum title

Spud
01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Humor,Rants and Off Topic (3 Viewing)
No SEX, RELIGION or POLITICS allowed

New guy here. When I read the above yesterday, I thought it was the first joke!! [smilie=l:

waksupi
01-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Humor,Rants and Off Topic (3 Viewing)
No SEX, RELIGION or POLITICS allowed

New guy here. When I read the above yesterday, I thought it was the first joke!! [smilie=l:

No joke, and I do realize there is a religious based discussion going on at the time. So far it has been neutral, and good natured. But they don't always remain that way, nor do politics. And as far as sex, we must remember we do have some very young impressionable members on the board, and ladies. Although, I have heard some of my best jokes from ladies!

We're offensive enough, without pushing the envelope. I don't know at the time if it is a good idea to let the current religious discussion die a natural death, or to lock it. It is kind of hypocritical to allow one, and then stop another.

It was our hope, that members would use thier own restraint, and follow the desires of the board owner, as stated on the topic heading, rather than having to be the bad guys, by stepping into something like the current topic. As I said, it seems quite civil, but still against the wishes of the owner, and by agreement, the moderators. I'm, personally, for letting it run it's course, assuming the civil nature remains, and hopefully, the members here will be a bit more circumspect on what subjects they start in the future.

We're (the moderators) the ones who have to put out the fires, and do not enjoy it, by any means. Any step we take, we discuss first, and it is with much angst, that we ever take any steps to interfere with any member or topic. And I am happy to say, it has happened damn seldom. We have a great bunch of people here. Most are middle aged or older, and don't have to see how far up the wall they can pee.

We are guests here on this board, and pay nothing for membership. It is good to do as your host asks. I don't smoke in a persons house if they ask me not to, and I take off my shoes when asked. We hope for the same respect for, and from, all members here.

BruceB
01-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Waksupi, pard;

VERY well stated, and (with a certain amount of trepidation), Amen!!!

Oldfeller
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I swear, I just opened up my computer and clicked on the board and this was the very first thing that was at the very top of the "Today" listing. It cracked me up.

I read it, belly laughed a bit and rolled on down the page, chuckling occasionally. Waksupi (preaching moderation no less) ...... this ought to be really good once he gets around to the punch line.

Reality finally sank in ---- my cut-up buddy Waksupi was being serious about nobody talking trash any more.

W
h
a
t
?

hmmmmmm ...... Ok, I got it. History does repeat itself (live long enough and you'll get there too).

Now, what we really need is some rowdy raucous place on the web, a place to all go collect ourselves once we all, one by one, we all get kicked off the "good board".

Heck, maybe we'll rename it Shooters once we all get there.

<grin ??>

Oldfeller

9.3X62AL
01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
The proscription against the three subject areas is preventive in intent. I'm not concerned about the existing thread--"letter of the law" is the jurisdiction of sticklers, "spirit of the law" is the region of reasonableness. When someone's karma starts running over someone else's dogma, there could be a moderator response.

Spud
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Waksupi -

Guess I'm the only one to find this forum title funny. Somehow it struck me funny. Wasn't trying to stir the pot. It just didn't seem possible to "rant" when sex, religion and politics are eliminated. Guess it really wasn't that humorous. Anyway, I didn't mean to create a problem, if I did.

waksupi
01-18-2006, 11:14 PM
I swear, I just opened up my computer and clicked on the board and this was the very first thing that was at the very top of the "Today" listing. It cracked me up.

I read it, belly laughed a bit and rolled on down the page, chuckling occasionally. Waksupi (preaching moderation no less) ...... this ought to be really good once he gets around to the punch line.

Reality finally sank in ---- my cut-up buddy Waksupi was being serious about nobody talking trash any more.

W
h
a
t
?

hmmmmmm ...... Ok, I got it. History does repeat itself (live long enough and you'll get there too).

Now, what we really need is some rowdy raucous place on the web, a place to all go collect ourselves once we all, one by one, we all get kicked off the "good board".

Heck, maybe we'll rename it Shooters once we all get there.

<grin ??>

Oldfeller

Well, I know it seems off nature for me to be serious, but I believe it is for the better, for people to see how I view what the moderators and board owner do. The foxes are watching the hen house, so you know there is a great deal of latitude!

As you well know....

shooter575
01-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Spud,first time I saw that it caught my attention as it was not there when this BB was set up I came back from a vacation and there it was.I assume it got placed there for a reason.I did not ask or care.Unlike poiiticans,I trust the guys that run this site.Good folks.Got to remember a lot of us have moved all over the internet to be together.Damm that sounds swishey.I consider myself to be a newbie with only 5 or years reading the rantings.Anyway we can get in digs into each other with out being mean about it.I get to do that at work <G>

45 2.1
01-19-2006, 08:28 AM
The foxes are watching the hen house, so you know there is a great deal of latitude!

Ha Ha, thats a good one. How about all the Lions, Tigers and Bears that are here also.

Bret4207
01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Trust me- there a bazillion things to rant about that only brush against sex, religion and politics. Fat women in spandex for instance. WHAT is up with that? Or old guys walking around with no shirt displaying their new nipple rings. There's education, taxes, the lack of quality in our consumer products, customer service, old folks care, health concerns, manners, the apparent superiority of the Chevy small block vs anything else (nearly a religion to Joe), the obvious superiority of my Toyota PU to any other truck except the '56 Dodge Power Wagon I can't afford, building codes, sheep, sheep and more sheep, Purple Martins, Hillary ( thats WAY beyond politics), tractors, food, gardening, cast vs jacketed, holsters, shoes, swimming pools and a lot of other stuff.

Personally I kind of find a discussion of religion or politics fine and interesting as loang as it stays at a certain level. Same goes for most anything else. There problem comes when someone takes the wrong turn and down the crapper it goes. As for sex, that goes downhill almost immediately everytime, everywhere. There are other sites for that stuff, you're welcome to it. Same with hard core politics and religion. I just don't think we need a food fight at the family table. My other favorite site is called "Yesterdays Tractors". The now have an off topic forum that is the biggest dog fight you ever saw. I avoid it usually. Stop in once a month or so and see whos yelling at who. It's a very depressing place to visit. Thats what I want to avoid here.

9.3X62AL
01-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I just don't think we need a food fight at the family table.

Bret--very well put, sir.

Spud--No problem created, perceived, or existent.

versifier
01-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Hillary ( thats WAY beyond politics)

I wouldn't have sex with her even if well paid to, I wholeheartedly wish she had never entered politics, and I thank god she didn't move to NH. :violin:

While I am personally not enthused about the thread in question and its presence here in a place where it was clearly asked not to be, I don't have to open it. My choice. This is a polite and restrained bunch of guys, and as long as it isn't turning in to the PTL Club at the OK Corral I guess there's room for everybody. I would only point out that the common bond between us is casting, shooting, and firearms. Believe it or not guys, there are a lot of shooters out there who aren't Christians, but are still good and honest human beings, and many of them are members here. When you cross that line, you alienate a lot of people who would prefer to be on your side and stick together in the brotherhood of the Second Amendment, instead of being snubbed as heathens and made to feel unwelcome, whether by intent or simply by oversight. Just a matter of respect.

waksupi
01-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Spud, I do want to offer you a big thanks. You had a question about the organization of things here, and rather than push ahead to see what is acceptable, you asked outright. I have great respect for someone who does that. It shows great maturity. We want everyone to be comfortable here, and if more would speak up as you did, some few small problems may be avoided.

You, and other new members, are the life blood of this board. Us old farts, who have been around longer than the hills, need someone we can try to help out. That is what we are here for, plus the great comaraderie. Kind of like Red Green says, "When you reach middle age, you know everything. But nobody want to listen."

We appreciate the listeners. And, we always seem to learn something new, ourselves, from new members. That is great, and what we hope for.

I urge all newer members to participate, ask questions, and just be active in general. Join us in chat, and ask questions for real time answers. This is the best source of cast boolit information on the web. I do hope everyone feels comfortable, and takes part.