PDA

View Full Version : Holster for H&R Revolver Advice

racepres
12-30-2022, 12:23 PM
Since the Frames are almost identical...I believe only the Barrel length makes any difference..
But... Has anyone found a Holster for the H&R Revolver??? I have tried Many styles and Designs..
apparrently the closest would have been designed for a Ruger Single six??? Maybe the model 47?? (hunter number)
I feel that an open bottomed , leather is the way to go...I will cut the bottom off to Fit.
I did acquire an Allen #34, that sure acts like it could work, with a short barrel (popular currently) but... the one I am trying to accommodate, is a 4" barrel.
Any Experiences????
Thanks
and Apologies for Not knowing just where to Put this request... If it gets moved to a More appropriate location...So be it..I will learn

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2022, 12:40 PM
I think that there's basically just two ways you can go on this-- which you've mostly figured out. The holster makers that maintain an inventory of holsters already made up make them for the more popular and more expensive revolvers like S&W, Colt, Taurus, etc. You're unlikely to find one for an H&R. Custom holster makers will make one for anything starting from scratch, and you'll pay accordingly. So, your best bet is a semi-generic holster like those made by the Hunter Co. Why not phone them and ask which one will fit?

DG

Bazoo
12-30-2022, 01:29 PM
Another way is, to get a holster made but not wet formed. When you get it, wet form your gun to it. It should be easy enough to use another revolver pattern but not wet form it. The end result will be a holster that fits perfectly.

alfadan
12-30-2022, 04:18 PM
You may try to make one. Ive made a couple and its pretty simple and fun. I got a half hide at tandy leather. I cheated and put two-piece rivets at the start and end of my stitches.

12-30-2022, 06:16 PM
I had an Uncle Mike's that gave a loose fit. I just added some stitches to make it just about perfect. Nylon cloth type, however. Can't help ya if you're looking for leather.

rintinglen
12-31-2022, 12:32 AM
Which H&R? They made oodles of then back in the days before WW I. Even in the 1970's they made half a dozen different models, in two frame sizes.

hoodat
12-31-2022, 12:41 AM
Another way is, to get a holster made but not wet formed. When you get it, wet form your gun to it. It should be easy enough to use another revolver pattern but not wet form it. The end result will be a holster that fits perfectly.

I'm with Bazoo on this. It could be done with one of the nice custom western holsters that a lot of guys are making now, or even with a Hunter Brand or other that is designed basically for a six shooter of similar dimension. jd

racepres
12-31-2022, 10:34 AM
All good stuff..and appreciated.. I especially like the Rivet to end stitching!! would work when midifying as well!!
The H&R's that I have are all from the 70's and 80's, and sure seem to be the exact same (solid) Frame 22-32, only difference being barrel length, and Grip size...so yea...the same, but Not, as the grip frame does change things a bit...
The Challenge seems to be the Frames are Fat, but Cylinders are skinny, and the basic frame is Quite Short, comparatively, and slender Barrels.
I will come up with something, as I usually carry things like the Chrono, and Targets and Ammo, and Oops outta Hands..
Probably go back to a Single Six holster and Modify!!!

Thanks Much to all who responded..

rintinglen
12-31-2022, 11:32 AM
If you simply want a serviceable holster for hunting or open carry, Hunter Company lists their Model 1100, size 3-48 for the H&R 622/732 4 inch bbls. I would call them and see before I ordered

For something fancier or for concealed carry, look for a S&W model 34 4" holster. If you don't mind doing a little leather work, you could modify a Colt Police Positive holster to make a good fitting scabbard for your small frame H&R's.

racepres
12-31-2022, 04:51 PM
^^^ Wow, First I heard of anyone making a holster specifically for H&R!!
Searching now in earnest..
Thanks

Finster101
12-31-2022, 05:07 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?450079-WTS-Western-Rig-for-22-Revolver

I have an H&R pistol with 5" barrel that fits quite nicely. Alas the belt is too big for me.

Mk42gunner
12-31-2022, 08:18 PM
I'm sure Bauer Bros and the other utilitarian holster makers of yesteryear made truckloads of holsters to fit H&R revolvers. Finding the right one these days and in serviceable condition is going to be a good trick.

Maybe ebay?

Robert