PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmiths and other professionals

Wolfdog91
12-30-2022, 12:59 AM
Just curious, in this day and age, if you have someone my age (25) come to you and say hay I wanna learn gunsmithing ( or cabinet making , mechanic work ect) is there anyway I could be an unpaid apprentice ?
What would you say ?
I'm just curious because I hear older guys talk about how they would sweep the floors at a local machine shops or something just to pick up this or that and try and learn. But now days .....well, anytime I've ever asked I get some really weird looks . I've gotten some to say yes but in general it's just a polite no .
Then again I'm not the best student for a lot of people I've learned ( also not the best teacher for many) so might be for the best [smilie=l: but anyhow, what would you say ?

Edit: Hmmm, ok I don't think I framed what I trying g to say correctly. Ok so basically I'm not talking about trying to get a job or free training,that. It really it at all. More less it's me just trying to learn about something I'm curious about.
Basically if I see something that I'm curious about and I'd like to learn something about it, I ha e no rela problems paying or exchanging labor just to learn or have that experience. So prime example is a good friend of mine. Guy is a taxidermist. Very skilled. I got curious about it and asked if I could just sit in on him doing a mount , in exchange for helping him with some stuff around his place. Don't really have much of an intention to be a taxidermist just when I get curious about something well I hyper fixated and I want to just absorb as much as I can . I might drop it after I might keep fiddling with it I might start doing it myself, just depends. I've actually paid just to watch a good welder run a few beads. Loaded bricks for a brick layer just so I could see how they made their stuff so nice.
The idea of just expecting to get that from somone for free doesn't sit right with me. I find that kind of stuff extremely valuable so I'd at the very least like to exchange it for some of my time. If that makes sense .

Winger Ed.
12-30-2022, 01:18 AM
Sure it's still being done. A long time friend started off as a good customer to our local gunsmith guy.
He was a welder, and did some work for him making some tools, welding on bolt handles for old military rifles, etc., etc.,
then helping some in his shop learning machinist kind of things, and that evolved into him being a full time employee.
He never went to any of the gunsmithing schools, but was doing OK on the more simple, straight forward things.

But it's one of those 'make your best deal' sort of things.

M-Tecs
12-30-2022, 01:30 AM
The underlying issue is commitment. Training takes a great deal of time and energy. Most employers don't want to expend the time and energy to train unless they are comfortable that the trainee will be around long enough to justify the time and expense they will incur training. If that is something you want to do you need to convince them how this will benefit them first and foremost. Secondary is how it will benefit you.

hoodat
12-30-2022, 02:19 AM
One time I got drunk for about ten years, and when I'd finally had enough, I woke up and was without my job, my woman, my home, my cars, my friends, my family, --- everything except my God, AA, and the probation department.

After getting sober for about a year, I spoke at an AA meeting, mentioning that I was at a point where I'd probably make a good worker for anyone who might need me. I offered to do anything, for anyone as long as it was legal, and I'd do it for free until they figured I was worth paying. I'd also need a ride if it was very far, cause I didn't have a car or a license to drive one with.

After that meeting, a guy came up and said he had a spot for me, and he wouldn't make me work for free. He started picking me up in the morning where I was bunking, and worked me about as hard as I could handle. We built pole barns, and after about six months, I was a lot smarter, hard as a rock, and still sober. In that period of time it was just like playing a country song backwards. I got everything I'd lost back -- job, license, car, friends, family, home, woman, and was closer to God than ever before.

Oh yeah, the point of my story is that yes, you can offer to work for someone for free, and it can work out very well. jd

pworley1
12-30-2022, 07:15 AM
I have never had anyone ask about an actual job, but I have had several people over the years ask if they could help me for a day or two just to see if they were really interested in doing what I do.

rancher1913
12-30-2022, 09:13 AM
actually, the lgs would probably love somebody that wanted to do that. his father used to babysit the store and do the piddle work but since his stroke the owner has to be there everyday now. if i was financially able to retire i would go help.

country gent
12-30-2022, 09:16 AM
The actual apprenticeship program is dying fast for 2 reasons. 1) the cost and added work lost time if training. When you have a new guy starting out he must be shown everything by a skilled worker also taking time from him. 2) the lack of loyalty, Most would complete their apprenticeship in a small shop get their card and leave for a better job. 3) most young people arnt really interested in the trades or starting out at the bottom. The other one Ive seen is in big shops with the age discrimination laws when a apprenticeship is up for bid they have to take the applicants in their 50s and 60s where there is little pay back on the training and schooling. When I started the age cut off was 28 years old I believe.
The easiest way now is take some of the apprenticeship courses along with welding, this shows some commitment and usually gives you some documented hours of experience, making you more desirable than the guy off the street.
The original apprenticeship was 4 years, then some companies went to a 7-10 year program to justify or recoup the costs.
I started in a small job shop when I was 15, I was hired because I was enrolled to start in the machine trades course the following school year. I worked there for 4-5 years. Between the job and school I had over 5 years of experience to back me. To much to be eligible for an apprenticeship.
The other downfall was production shops that issued workers cards when they had the hours when all they did was change parts in a machine.

Never answer a question when asking for a job with I dont know, the answers they want to hear is, I can, next is I can learn.

Always remember the shop is trusting you with expensive machines and equipment, the risk of it being damaged is big concern.

Read up on it, watch you tube videos, at least be able to talk the talk, then learn to walk the walk :-):-)

Nobade
12-30-2022, 09:49 AM
The shop I worked for took on a lot of guys over the years to help. We never wanted them to work for free but couldn't pay much. Usually we'd start them on production work with simple machines, and if they showed aptitude would advance them to more complicated work. Unfortunately the ones with good aptitude eventually went on to "real" jobs where they got paid a lot more, and the majority either did poor work and got let go or got bored and quit. I was the only one silly enough to go on gunsmithing for 20 years where I didn't get paid much but made a living for myself and my family. So I would say if you bring a good attitude and work ethic to somewhere you should have no problem finding work at first, and if you have patience you will eventually be able to turn it into a good job. But as you said, being "hard to teach" will be your greatest obstacle. I don't know how many guys I have seen who wanted to fight with the boss from the first day and thought they knew better how to do something. It was obvious very quickly that they were not going to last and none of them did.

WRideout
12-30-2022, 12:12 PM
An actual job for (relatively low) pay may be easier to find in today's job market. I don't know about Mississippi, but here in SW Pennsylvania, many machine shops are advertising for help. You might consider looking for a job in a shop that does similar work to gunsmithing; machine shop, cabinet making, etc. to get started.

Wayne

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2022, 01:11 PM
You've got to have a passion for whatever trade you choose to apprentice in, a real desire to learn to do, and then to do, that type of work.

You've got to plan out your life in as much as that is possible, and life can change your plans. The field you want to enter can "go away" with changes in technology.

You've got to understand that starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, with nothing to offer except a willingness to work and learn, won't pay very well and there likely won't be such benefits as a health and dental plan. Just about impossible to support a wife and family, unless the wife is willing to work and bring in the income until you are established in the trade. You might find yourself working a 2nd job as well.

Some of the trades do have apprentice programs, and one that comes to mind is the Electrician's Union. First, of course, you have to join the Union. Then you have to work as an apprentice alongside certified Electricians for several years. Mostly on site new construction and remodeling jobs, doing the heavy labor part. Meanwhile, they have a couple of buildings that they own where you attend classes and practice installation of all the things that Electricians do such as wiring circuit breaker boxes, wall outlets, using EMT tubing, etc. After you have put in the required amount of time as an apprentice helper and have learned all they have to teach you are given an exam, and if you pass you'll be certified by the Union and licensed by the State. After that......you'll never be hungry......

Just one example. There are many more opportunities in the trades for someone willing to make the sacrifices necessary while learning. Most of them will likely require you to move to a heavily populated area where the jobs are available.

Very few things in life are easy or come without a struggle. I could easily do a four page write up on the Gunsmithing business, probably summed up by saying "Don't", but if that is your goal I'd recommend working your way through a gunsmithing school and starting out as a one man operation. Practice general gunsmithing until you find that you're really good at some one thing (or maybe two or three things) and then specialize in those areas. You could spend many years trying to learn from an established craftsman a little here and a little there, but a school will teach you the basics plus some in just a year or two. If you decide that you just have to pursue the career, then go for it; but if you decide that it's not for you or financially too high a hill to climb, you can move along to something else and still have a lot of life left to make other mistakes or become successful.

DG

Jeremy McLean
12-30-2022, 01:27 PM
Just curious, in this day and age, if you have someone my age (25) come to you and say hay I wanna learn gunsmithing ( or cabinet making , mechanic work ect) is there anyway I could be an unpaid apprentice ?
What would you say ?
I'm just curious because I hear older guys talk about how they would sweep the floors at a local machine shops or something just to pick up this or that and try and learn. But now days .....well, anytime I've ever asked I get some really weird looks . I've gotten some to say yes but in general it's just a polite no .
Then again I'm not the best student for a lot of people I've learned ( also not the best teacher for many) so might be for the best [smilie=l: but anyhow, what would you say ?

The short answer is yes it does occur in a very small circle that is getting smaller as each day passes. I really can appreciate your candor and enthusiasm by asking such an intelligent question. That right there is a good start. The best way to approach the honest no BS result that you are seeking is to hit the bricks in your location of every mom and pop shop until someone gives you a chance.

Apprenticeship programs are offered a lot of times at community colleges or private schools of trades.

Remember this advice when someone affords you any opportunity. Early is on time and on time you're late. Good luck to you I hope this helps.

Gunsmith= Machinist, Carpenter, Mechanic, Cobbler, Welder and Artist

waksupi
12-30-2022, 01:28 PM
I've taught a few over the years, but turned most away. If they couldn't show me something they had made related to what I did, I had no interest in starting them out. The trades I picked up over the years from training by others, I always showed them what I had accomplished on my own first, to show I had at least a true interest and some skills to build on.

jsizemore
12-30-2022, 01:39 PM
Learning to frame or car repair or plumbing is pretty easy with some good guidance.Most times if something goes wrong, nobody gets hurt. You start at the bottom and work your way up. Gunsmithing is a bit different. Things can go wrong fast. There's a bunch of liability that has to assumed by the smith if something goes wrong with something you've worked on. A gunsmith/friend let me look over his shoulder and then I practiced on my own stuff. GI bill will pay for gunsmithing school, or at least they used to.

beezapilot
12-30-2022, 05:35 PM
It's not a specific job, but it is a pretty amazing apprenticeship with a fortune 200 company, then a job with superior benefits. NuCor is having a hard time hiring people with skills. It's the end of the game for this year, but perhaps something to look at next open season. https://nucor.com/nucor-technical-academy

Learning to checker is something that you can do with a minimum investment on tools and a serious investment on time and persistence - you can dress up your own stuff and if you get skilled enough apply at CSMC. They are most always hiring detail people, being in that shop would be pretty amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuH88RlNSo pretty amazing showroom up there too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUl8AXurSaA

Personally, I think there are specialty smiths- the one guy that can do it all is a thing of the past. I've a buddy that re-barrels Winchesters for a big outfit, he has made his own roll stamps that will mark the barrels with the right data for the time period of manufacture. Is as busy as he wants to be and flies very much under the radar. But that is all he does, and he does it right.

Cabinet making has gone the way of machining, lots of CNC stuff howling away out there.

farmbif
12-30-2022, 06:52 PM
if there are any real gunsmiths near where you are, not someone who just finished an online course from Sonoran desert institute or some thing like that, the best thing I could advise is to get to know them and see what happens it cant hurt to ask. other than something like that it would be a commitment in a program such as is offered by Montgomery community college in troy, NC.

country gent
12-30-2022, 08:40 PM
My old gunsmith was like that. When I bought my first garand ( a blue sky ) the barrel was gone. I asked about re-barreling it. His answer was Ill orrder the barrel and when it comes in Ill help you do it. The douglas med heavy 308 barrel came in and I learned how to do it. When I asked about bedding and accurizing he handed me a couple books and told me its nothing you dont do everyday at work, if you get in a bind come see me. It was the same when I built my first M1A. Hes gone now for several years a good friend and teacher. We traded knowledge. He would be having a hard time setting something up I would come in and He would grab me.

Wolfdog91
12-30-2022, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, ok I don't think I framed what I trying g to say correctly. Ok so basically I'm not talking about trying to get a job or free training,that. It really it at all. More less it's me just trying to learn about something I'm curious about.
Basically if I see something that I'm curious about and I'd like to learn something about it, I ha e no rela problems paying or exchanging labor just to learn or have that experience. So prime example is a good friend of mine. Guy is a taxidermist. Very skilled. I got curious about it and asked if I could just sit in on him doing a mount , in exchange for helping him with some stuff around his place. Don't really have much of an intention to be a taxidermist just when I get curious about something well I hyper fixated and I want to just absorb as much as I can . I might drop it after I might keep fiddling with it I might start doing it myself, just depends. I've actually paid just to watch a good welder run a few beads. Loaded bricks for a brick layer just so I could see how they made their stuff so nice.
The idea of just expecting to get that from somone for free doesn't sit right with me. I find that kind of stuff extremely valuable so I'd at the very least like to exchange it for some of my time. If that makes sense .

Wolfdog91
12-30-2022, 08:43 PM
My old gunsmith was like that. When I bought my first garand ( a blue sky ) the barrel was gone. I asked about re-barreling it. His answer was Ill orrder the barrel and when it comes in Ill help you do it. The douglas med heavy 308 barrel came in and I learned how to do it. When I asked about bedding and accurizing he handed me a couple books and told me its nothing you dont do everyday at work, if you get in a bind come see me. It was the same when I built my first M1A. Hes gone now for several years a good friend and teacher. We traded knowledge. He would be having a hard time setting something up I would come in and He would grab me.

See something like that !

country gent
12-30-2022, 09:05 PM
Be polite and wait for him to come to a convenient stopping point. Dont just walk in and expect him to drop what hes doing thats his livelihood your interrupting. Ask questions and show you have something to offer.
When they offer knowledge have a big container with you :bigsmyl2:

A lot of us old timers have learned that knowledge is one of the few things that can be given away and kept at the same time.

One thing I always stressed to my apprentices was to always learn take any and all training pay attention to what everyone is doing and how, Ie you hire a roofer be there watch and ask questions, Learn all you can. Knowledge and training are one thing no one can take away from you/ they can lock the shop up and take your tools but employers pay for what you know not your tool box.

Another thing to keep in mind is someone who can answer question provide tech info on the show room floor so he isnt interrupted is a big plus to him.

deltaenterprizes
12-30-2022, 09:23 PM
If you have an interest in gunsmithing I would advise you to start by learning how machine works is done.
Machining metal and making guns go hand in hand.
Once you learn how the parts are made then you will get an understanding of how they are fitted together.
I went through machinist school specifically to learn how to work on guns. My teacher was an excellent self taught gunsmith and taught me how to headspace bolt action rifles.
I took woodworking in high school so I have a little knowledge about stock work.
YouTube videos on machine work are helpful and some may not agree but the American Gunsmith videos are pretty good also.

ebb
12-30-2022, 09:35 PM
Go on u tube and do a search for Mark Novak, i don't know what episode it was in but in one of his talks, he mentions and discusses apprentices. He is a very good gunsmith; I have dealt with Rifle builders, but it is different from being a gunsmith. You can be both or one or the other, but because you are one doesn't make you both

gunther
12-30-2022, 09:36 PM
A shooting buddy got out of college in 1970 with a degree in history. He soon found out there was nothing out there in his job field. Gotta have a Master's to teach high school. So, he went to see the Air Force recruiter. Signed on the line for a 6 month machinist school, in exchange for a 6 year enlistment. In 1976, there still was a slack economy, so he re-enlisted for a 6 month welder's school, in exchange for 6 more years. He figured he would be pretty well on his way to being a gunsmith by the time he got out. Don't know if he stayed in long enough to retire (20 years), but he was having a good time.

justindad
12-30-2022, 09:46 PM
Do a piece of work on one of your guns, then pay a gunsmith to look it over and give you feedback on the quality of your work. Teach yourself.

fatelk
12-30-2022, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, ok I don't think I framed what I trying g to say correctly. Ok so basically I'm not talking about trying to get a job or free training,that. It really it at all. More less it's me just trying to learn about something I'm curious about.

I love your attitude! You'll go far in life with that kind of curiosity, drive, and ethics.

waksupi
12-31-2022, 12:30 PM

I get where you are coming from now. I've always been an information sponge, and have learned many skills, that don't necessarily have a use, but you never know when you WILL use the knowledge!

Shurshot2
12-31-2022, 02:11 PM
If you have an interest in gunsmithing I would advise you to start by learning how machine works is done.
Machining metal and making guns go hand in hand.
Once you learn how the parts are made then you will get an understanding of how they are fitted together.
I went through machinist school specifically to learn how to work on guns. My teacher was an excellent self taught gunsmith and taught me how to headspace bolt action rifles.
I took woodworking in high school so I have a little knowledge about stock work.
YouTube videos on machine work are helpful and some may not agree but the American Gunsmith videos are pretty good also.
What he said. There is a real shortage of skilled machinists, valuable skill!

MT Gianni
12-31-2022, 02:56 PM
The problem as I see it is coverage by insurance and workmans comp and minimum wage considerations. These could cost the owner big time if anything happened. The other problem with training a young person is too often they start a shop next to yours. Like telling someone about your secret fishing spot, then seeing it on You Tube.

WRideout
12-31-2022, 10:12 PM
I took advantage of a forum member, Quack1, who offered to teach me how to finish a percussion kit revolver. He was generous with his time and knowledge, and helped me do a presentable first job. Having said that, it might be that you can find a skilled amateur who loves what he does, over a professional who does it for a living.

BTW: I went on to re-blue a percussion Derringer that turned out very nice.

Wayne

ulav8r
12-31-2022, 11:57 PM
Gunsmithing is not a high paying job, so a smith needs to busy all the time, only work completed gets paid for most of the time. A good smith needs to be a good smith and a good businessman it he has his own shop. Todays legal climate makes it hard to justify spending time training someone who is not making money for the shop. Getting training in welding and machining is a good basis for much gunsmithing, but there is much more to it than that. Stock making is woodwork, but the only thing cabinet making has in common with it is finishing and stock finishes have requirements that cabinets do not.

Gunsmiths often specialize, some are pistol smiths, some are repairmen or re-finishers, and rifle makers can specialize in hunting rigs or a particular types of target rifles. One who does general repairs may go months or even years before they see the second example of some particular problem, so that could be a slow learning process. A good gunsmithing school can give you the basics but the main thing you need to know is what you want to learn so you can make a better decision on where to go, looking for that information. There have been several good books published on general gunsmithing and specialized fields such as checkering, metal finishing, engraving, etc. Some of those books are available online. One thing any field of gunsmithing is a good eye for what a proper job should look like, whether it the form or finish, or any number of other things.

Some of the books can give you a much better exposure to the many things encompassed by gunsmithing, maybe helping you to focus on whether you want to pursue any of it further.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2023, 09:26 AM
Another piece of this is knowing your own limitations. Being numerically dyslexic machine work would be next to impossible for me, no matter how much I wanted to do it. I know I have no artistic ability, that has been made clear several times - so copying someone else's artistry is the limit I can go. Being ADHD anything that requires close concentration is very difficult, possible but very difficult. I was extremely nearsighted so flying in the Military was out.

These are some of my limitations and have directed my professional choices as well. I have aced every biology class I've ever taken, but struggled in Chemistry. So much for biochemistry, but I could get my doctorate in clinical psychology with no more math than statistics, and at that point in history hiring someone to run your data was normative. The Statistical Package for the Social Sciences required a main frame computer to run at that point in history. So I spent 40 years as a Clinical Psychologist.

MrWolf
01-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Find someone that does what you are interested in and bring lunch - ask what they like, subs, burgers, etc and see if you could talk to them while they eat. If it goes well, ask if you could just watch them work one afternoon or when doing a project. Tell them will stay out of their way but you would like to just watch. Buy lunch again and ask those questions. Rinse repeat. Your enthusiasm will help make the difference. Worst they can do is say no but most will take you up on that initial "no obligation " lunch. Good luck.
Ron

beezapilot
01-06-2023, 03:06 PM
I'm hesitant to post, but shall anyway. I think that you'll find being in someone's shop and "helping" that having your own common tools will aid you in progressing. The "do you have a rule that I can borrow?" "Can I use your micrometer?" "Where do you keep your pencils?" "Do you have spare safety glasses?" sort of thing can be wearing on hospitality. Also, saw a young fella once upon a time prying open a can with a 6 inch Starrett rule -that was not his. Most crafts and trade are the same skills applied in different ways. The machinist, mechanic, gunsmith all use the same micrometer, straight edge, rule, scribe, files, and so on. Having the basics of the trade at your fingertips can go a long way in being much less obtrusive should you be helping someone. In addition, at the end of the day, you know where your tools go- in your tool chest and out the door. Not scattered around as another chore for the man who owns the shop to put away, tune, wipe down, sharpen... Basic measuring tools and hand tools are pretty portable, staples in multiple crafts, and were a focal point of the apprenticeship process. When you had skills and tools you became a Journeyman and were off in the world. When I look at someones tools I appreciate the old stuff that has been restored, if you've a little heart in it- you'll take care of it and may respect the tools of some one else.

Shopdog
01-06-2023, 04:51 PM
You'd be welcome here.... hope you have a strong back,haha. Old machines are stupid heavy. We have pretty much a dream shop that took years of dogged determination. Wads of cash,and a pickup truck.

Used machine prices fluctuate,no different than any thing else really? But short term and echo advice above.... you need to be snagging the metrology tools. Beautiful,durn near works of art.... old U.S. mics and "stuff". It's still reasonably priced. It's kinda like the minor league of tooling up. Most is under 100$...
Stepping up to the majors,you'll be dropping $1k on machines and swinging for the fence regularly. Also(where the strong back comes about) whether you like it or not,rigging is part N parcel with shop world. Big honkin jacks,chain hoists,etc. So,start buying some of that stuff too.

beezapilot
01-06-2023, 08:51 PM
Heck. I picked up a 7 drawer Kennedy chest for a fiver at the last swop meet I went to. A little sheet metal work and a can of Krylon it looks & works fine, also scored an 18 inch Chapin & Stephens brass reinforced level from the 1930's for a buck. Don't have to spend a fortune if you've some elbow grease

john.k
01-06-2023, 10:40 PM
Id say for sure ,you d need to be a proficient hobbyist with lathe ,mill ,drill,hand tools etc,and TIG welding....none of these is hard to learn the basics,but you need familiarity enough to avoid accidents.......its not much use trying to be a gunsmith straitout,unless you can do all this with confidence...............when I quit work,the bosses thought someone off the street could "pick it up in a week".........so thats all the guy had to learn to be a factory maintenance mechanic...Didnt work out.

samari46
01-07-2023, 01:22 AM
I had the pleasure of watching a high class welder work for me on the job. He was used to basically working in crappy conditions and didn't give it a thought. Told him if you need anything come see and I'll get what you need. I went out of my way to take care of him. Really appreciated the refrigi wear insluated coveralls. Oil and steam lines were his speciality and darn was he good. The welders from the power house were prima donas, one told me one day he wasn't going to weld unless I humped his welding leads for him. I was the supervisor on watch at the time. By lunch he was back at the power house and told not to come back. Frank

Ed K
01-08-2023, 04:32 PM
It's been pointed out you need to be a proficient hobbyist with lathe ,mill ,drill, hand tools etc, and TIG welding none of which are skills you need to obtain from a gunsmith. In fact many of those skills should be obtained from an expert in each respective area - not a gunsmith.

Teach yourself. Yeah, read books, watch youtube, buy your own machines and learn them. Teach yourself.

Are you considering any sort of business model? For example do you really see yourself TIG welding a bolt and chambering a barrel on a lathe one day, putting together a black rifle the next, fixing Bubba's mistake the next, bore sighting a scope the next and so on in a manner where you can really have a well running and profitable business? What is the ROI on all the machinery when you spend a string of days futzing with small issues coming through the front door? What about the ROI on the brick & mortar address to bring in all the Bubba traffic when you are holed up building a custom gun for a week or two? What is the goal?

What is your patience level and attention to detail? Frankly your ability to express yourself and grammar in your posts don't suggest a deliberate, methodical approach to solving a problem. That may have hurt and if my view is incorrect I apologize. Just trying to give honest feedback on something you're inquiring on.

lightload
01-30-2023, 01:24 AM
I suggest you drive over to Southwest Mississippi Community College in Summit and check out their machine shop courses. I grew up in Summit. If you will pm me your address, I will send you a nifty gun smithing reference. No charge.

GregLaROCHE
01-30-2023, 06:58 AM
The first problem you have is that today there are fewer and fewer experienced gunsmiths around. Today so much is snapped or screwed together. You no longer need a gunsmith to drill and tap your barrel to mount a scope etc.

Second, It’s not easy to train someone. There is the cost of time it takes and the mistakes you will make. Also, today the world is so caught up in liability. What if you get hurt or you make a mistake that isn’t caught and the customer is later hurt because of your mistake?

You need to find someone who likes you and wants to do you a favor. I’m sure there are some who will be willing to help you. I hope you find them.

GregLaROCHE
01-30-2023, 08:12 AM
If you are interested in gunsmithing, this guy has a lot of good videos. Here’s one.

https://youtu.be/KmPBy6Z3elw

ebb
01-31-2023, 06:01 PM
Thats Mark Novak, pretty sharp guy.

GregLaROCHE
02-03-2023, 12:18 AM
Mark Novak is the guy. My favorite was making a spring for a flintlock. Making the part by hand and forming it. After he quenched it and tempered in a lead casting pot. Melted lead is a good to Temper with.

waksupi
02-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Mark Novak is the guy. My favorite was making a spring for a flintlock. Making the part by hand and forming it. After he quenched it and tempered in a lead casting pot. Melted lead is a good to Temper with.

A lead pot can also be used to nitre blue small parts, without using nitre.

missionary5155
02-03-2023, 01:27 PM
Pot of lead to the rescue in many applications where controlled heat is needed.

farmbif
02-03-2023, 01:31 PM
here, here, I would drink to that but have already melted down the pewter mugs.

Rapier
02-03-2023, 02:46 PM
I will pass on the best advice I ever got as a young man. Years and years ago while I was in HS I asked Dick Riley about being a gunsmith, working in his shop for free to learn. Dick said: "Go to school get an education, go into real business, make a real living to support your family and then retire. When you are retired and you want to be a gunsmith do so only if you do not need to make a living from gunsmith work."

Over the years I have helped in many shops when they got behind or over whelmed and needed help and some of the work VS revenue is not real good. One night into morning doing hot blue with blueing salts might break you of the desire to learn that part.

That is exactly what I did. Dick was way smarter than the average bear, he was the President of the NRA and a NH Senator

super6
02-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Went to a nickel chrome shop after work and said I would work for free, I wanted to learn, He said well, Whats to stop you from competing with me? No thanks...I might have stayed there, His loss as I did learn the trade and competed with him. All Harley parts.