PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

doccash
12-28-2022, 03:01 PM
I have several moulds that are a gas check design but I am wondering if gas checks can be affixed to the base of non- gas check designed boolits ? Dr.C

megasupermagnum
12-28-2022, 03:09 PM
Yes, using plain base gas checks. They are usually aluminum. Their usefulness is questionable.

doccash
12-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Yes, using plain base gas checks. They are usually aluminum. Their usefulness is questionable.

The ones I have are copper. wanted to try the 416 gas checks on a .407 boolit for a 40-65wcf.

Bazoo
12-28-2022, 04:04 PM
It won’t work cause when you size it the excess metal has to go somewhere. It will deform and not always evenly. If you have a cupped “I” push rod in your sizer, the metal will deform down and cup and might be okay for your purposes. I’ve done it with .323 using slightly oversized 8mm checks. I didn’t get into testing as it was for a friends rifle. He sold the rifle. Fore we got real far into it.

45DUDE
12-28-2022, 04:32 PM
I had some bevel base .430 240 grain and used a .41 caliber gas check. Normally you can't. Gas checks have gotten expensive. They triple the cost of a cast boolit.=========== I had a blank moment posted .452

Larry Gibson
12-28-2022, 05:28 PM
It is possible and as mentioned the usefulness can be questionable. I make several different calibers of GCs including a 45 Caliber PB GC. I've found the choice of material for the GC is important as is the thickness. The use of a push through sizer or using several sizing steps is best along with a softer alloy. I've found a binary alloy of 20 or 16 - 1 works well with 35 and 45 cal handgun bullets to be used in rifles at 1400 - 1700+ fps. I use strips cut from Coors bottle "cans" as it is .006" thick.

charlie b
12-28-2022, 07:59 PM
First is why? But, there are times when something is needed to protect the base of the bullet, eg, higher velocities. They add another factor that can get screwed up.

Are you powder coating or conventional lube (I am guessing the latter)?

Straight cases or bottle neck?

If straight cases (or long neck cases) there is an alternative. Poly wads. We used them a lot in hot .357mag loads and in .30-30 (as long as the wad is not pushed into the case). The ideal wads for us were .060 to .090 thick. We cut them from whatever we could find. Accuracy in the .30-30 was as good as jacketed.

Like these
https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/wads/poly-wads.html

doccash
01-04-2023, 11:04 PM
First is why? But, there are times when something is needed to protect the base of the bullet, eg, higher velocities. They add another factor that can get screwed up.

Are you powder coating or conventional lube (I am guessing the latter)?

Straight cases or bottle neck?

If straight cases (or long neck cases) there is an alternative. Poly wads. We used them a lot in hot .357mag loads and in .30-30 (as long as the wad is not pushed into the case). The ideal wads for us were .060 to .090 thick. We cut them from whatever we could find. Accuracy in the .30-30 was as good as jacketed.

Like these
https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/wads/poly-wads.html

Charlie b, the gun is just not very accurate. The bore is close to .406 but my mould casts a .402 bullet, Lyman 403169, 2 cavity. I use certified 20:1 metal. That mould is specific for 40-65 and 40-82 Winchesters. I shot the thing with gas checks affixed and accuracy greatly improved and severe leading or any leading at all completely went away. The load is smokeless at BP velocity. I have a Steve Brooks mould that casts .408 but is a little heavier than the standard 262 gr of the 40-65 that I will try this week w/o a gas check. Thank you for your comments and Happy shooting in the New Year. Dr.C

mehavey
01-05-2023, 01:01 AM
The bore is close to .406 but my mould casts a .402
...20:1... The load is smokeless at BP velocityConsider using pure lead.
Try it and tell us what transpires....

littlejack
01-05-2023, 01:16 AM
You might try 41 magnum boolits, and size them down to fit the bore. IIRC, someone put a rcbs dc .408 mould just recently on Swappin & Sellin. You could use an aluminum pb gas check on it.
I found it. Page 2, 5 up from the bottom on the S&S. But, it's a 300 grain. Maybe to heavy?

doccash
01-05-2023, 10:38 PM
littlejack Thanks, I missed the mould and would have bought it. I was too slow checking back here. Dr. C

littlejack
01-05-2023, 11:16 PM
Dr. C
I've done that before. :killingpc

charlie b
01-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Ok, so undersize bullets. I think the taper might be small enough that you might try poly wads. Then, as mentioned, use softer lead. That might allow the pressure to 'bump' the bullet up to fill the grooves.

Have you considered paper patching? It sounds tedious, but, it really isn't that bad. I'd still probably add a poly wad (as long as they are a firm fit in the case).