PDA

View Full Version : Vintage woodworking tools.

Bazoo
12-26-2022, 09:53 PM
I am a carpenter by trade and use electric power tools out of necessity. But I have a keen interest in the old ways and have always collected antique or old style woodworking tools. Things like draw knife, chisels, brace, crank drills.

Currently I have a brace, a 4 Jack plane, a yankee drill (need a few more bits), a good drawknife.

I don’t have a large collection currently but I am always keeping an eye out for new additions. Things on my radar currently are a large gouge chisel 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 size. A block plain, and another Jack plane. Some bits for my hand brace. An egg beater drill. Oh, a spoke shave. And of course axes. I’m always checking yard sales for such.

Anyways I’m wondering if anyone else enjoys this hobby? Pictures of vintage tools always welcome.

Bazoo
12-26-2022, 09:59 PM
Here’s my Jack plane. It’s in process of being cleaned up.
https://i.postimg.cc/BQq6cryZ/9-FB2483-E-E4-DD-4-BB3-A2-EB-3-B543267053-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hh5cK5cN)

country gent
12-26-2022, 10:11 PM
I help several old farmers repair old barns learned mortise and tenon dowel joints. The last work bench I built was old school All mortise and tenon or doweled joints no nails screws or bolts. The only bolts are to hold the vises on. Also used wedges to tighten the mortise tenon joints before pinning them. Sometimes the old way is better.

Using the hand tools of the era is a real skill set to have, and offers more options on a project.

contender1
12-26-2022, 10:15 PM
Do you have any of the vintage Ruger hand tools?

Here's a pair of different Ruger Corporation hand drills.

https://i.postimg.cc/QC4JC4n1/Ruger-Drills-001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/V0tCHRwk)[

Sam Sackett
12-26-2022, 10:18 PM
Bazoo, in a former life I had a full wood shop and accumulated hand tools also. Well, the shop went bye bye, but I still have some of the hand tools. I have stored them for years because I just don’t know who might want them. I don’t have a use for them and don’t foresee getting deep into woodworking again. I’d have to check, but am pretty sure I hav3 (at least) the following….

2 #5 Bailey Jack planes
2 Braces
1 Drawknife
A couple plus parts of spokeshaves
And probably more if I dig.

Would you be interested? If not cash, trade reloading stuff.

PM and let me know. We can dicker.

Sam Sackett

beemer
12-26-2022, 11:51 PM
I was a furniture pattern maker for many years, it sparked an interest in old hand tools. I have a fairly good collection but have been selling a few off. I have no family members interested so I am only keeping what I need. At 70 I will not wear much of anything out. I think I have more planes than anything, from a finger plane to a 2 foot Stanley.

MrWolf
12-27-2022, 09:14 AM
I was at a client's place about 20 years ago. One of the older workers overheard me talking about redoing a house and making stuff for it. He comes in the next day with a few things including an old block plane. Said he had no one to give it to and liked hearing me talk about various projects. Very nice of him.

Hondolane
12-27-2022, 09:26 AM
If someday the power goes out, it may be good to have a few tools that a person can make things with. May not be a bad idea to have a few analog reloading pieces of equipment as well. Electricity is never guaranteed, look at the sub stations in North Carolina and Seattle just recently.

15meter
12-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Still use my handsaws, both crosscut and rip. At times faster than getting out the skilsaw and an extension cord.

Brace has largely been replaced by the cordless drills.

Except when there is a difficult screw to remove. A screwdriver bit in a brace is the best tool for removing stuck screws.

With the brace, you can put your full weight on the brace to prevent camming out. I've never been able to do that with a regular screwdriver. Even with a square shanked screwdriver with a wrench on the shank for leverage.

And the hex drive magnetic screwdriver bit holders fit perfectly in a brace.

Braces work even better for precision driving of wood screws. Worked on restoration of a 70 year old wood sailboat a dozen years ago, 1200+ silicon bronze wood screws to drive into white oak framing through western red cedar planking.

Brace was the tool of choice. You could control driving the screws perfectly. No over-driven screws damaging the planking.

jim 44-40
12-27-2022, 09:45 AM
Old wood working tools are the first thing I hunt down at yard sales and flea markets.The last nice yield was a sweet little Norlund hatchet for 5 bucks.And nothing beats a sharp plane iron that produces a thin shaving the whole length of a board

John Guedry
12-27-2022, 10:13 AM
I have several hand saws I use when its two much trouble to drag out an extension cord. The problem is to find someone to sharpen and set them when they are not quiet sharp. ie (DULL)

pworley1
12-27-2022, 10:18 AM
It looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck with your collection.

Rapier
12-27-2022, 10:38 AM
Not many folks today are interested in high quality hand tools. They only want power tools. I grew up with a grandfather and father that used hand tools as carpenters every single day. Saw boxes, I still have my dad's little red book, on the functions of the framing square. Of course today, finding a real saw sharpener is a trick. Somewhere around here I still have my dad's hand saw tooth setting tool.
One thing a hand saw is great for is cutting creosote posts, pilings or bridge timbers. You can control the sawdust in the hot sun.

abunaitoo
12-27-2022, 12:23 PM
I too enjoy old tools.
Have a small collection.
Also have a few that need to be repaired.
Just getting to old to do it these days.
If your interested, I can dig them out and post some pictures.

blackthorn
12-27-2022, 12:29 PM
I have had a cabin "off the grid" since 1964. Over the years I have accumulated a good number of hand tools from axes to wood planes. Good things to have. Early on I was putting in a sink and did not have a drill to start the hole for the drain through the floor. Stood on a chair and used a 12 gauge to start a hole I could then get my key-hole saw into. Fun times!

Daver7
12-27-2022, 12:42 PM
I use this old Stanley doweling jig to drill holes for tuners in slot head guitars that I build

country gent
12-27-2022, 12:51 PM
A sharp plane used correctly saves a lot of sanding.

WRideout
12-27-2022, 12:55 PM
"Stood on a chair and used a 12 gauge to start a hole I could then get my key-hole saw into. Fun times!"

My wife just doesn't understand the utility value of things like that.

Wayne

farmbif
12-27-2022, 01:13 PM
there is a surprisingly big interest in quality hand woodworking tools. ive got some old stuff in my shop. I used to have lots of stuff, auctioned off some of the lesser quality stuff. the auctioneer that came to pick stuff up going ape crazy saying we could sell all this stuff, no problem. and sure enough he got really top dollar for everything.
I once bought a homemade chest filled with super high quality chisel sets, carving chisel sets, curved chisel sets, spoke shaves, bowl shaves. hand saws and more the pawn shop surely did not know what they had and gave it to me for $99 out the door. I went online and looked the stuff up, retail value is over $2k like 15 years ago, many of the items from Germany and Japan.
its always good to have the proper tools when your trying to get a job done right.
Garrett wade and rocker are very successful because there is such a demand for quality hand tools
I dont use the stuff a lot but when I do use it works great and most hold razor edge very very well.

WRideout
12-27-2022, 01:14 PM
A while ago I had two hammer heads that I was about to send to the boneyard, when I thought about the spokeshave that I had never yet used. I looked around for a piece of wood to use, and found some hardwood from a pallet that was actually very hard and resilient. Had to draw file the base of the spokeshave to make it smooth, but after that it cut very well. Finished with brown shoe dye and polish.

My grandaughter Lily wants to do everything I do, of course. So I gave her a quick lesson, and started her on a handle I was making for a rake. She loved it!

Wayne

chill45100
12-27-2022, 01:25 PM
My story is similar to some in that my father was apprenticed to a cabinetmaker during and after high school. After WW2 Dad changed to another path and many of his tools went away. A few Sargent planed and some small chisels are now mine. Perhaps I can introduce my grandson to woodworking as we install a photography dark room this summer. There is a woodworker by the name of Paul Sellers that has a very good series of woodworking videos on YouTube which I heartily recommend!
Chill45100

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 06:32 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/QC4JC4n1/Ruger-Drills-001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/V0tCHRwk)[

That’s neat. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea they existed.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 06:35 PM
I have had a cabin "off the grid" since 1964. Over the years I have accumulated a good number of hand tools from axes to wood planes. Good things to have. Early on I was putting in a sink and did not have a drill to start the hole for the drain through the floor. Stood on a chair and used a 12 gauge to start a hole I could then get my key-hole saw into. Fun times!
Thanks for sharing. I am in the beginning stages of a small trapper cabin. Just plan I and cutting a few logs right now. It’s going to be on skids and made small enough to move. I figure it’ll be a fun camping spot and maybe hunting cabin, though for my 18 acres, not needed. Just fun.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 06:38 PM
A sharp plane used correctly saves a lot of sanding.

I agree. At one time the plane pictured was functional but I let it set a while.
And it always has needed some tlc and tuning. I picked that up after my house fire. At the shop I kept a block plane handy and found it to be invaluable.

truckjohn
12-27-2022, 07:42 PM
As a fellow accumulator and user of vintage woodworking hand tools... Be aware that rehabbing old rust is a hobby of its own. My #1 advice is buy quality and be aware that costs incurred rehabbing is part of the cost of the tools.

I got fairly unhappy buying old tools "In the wild." They are often horribly abused and badly rusted/pitted. Now, I pay a lot more attention to condition and brand before I buy. This pushes cost up some, but the tools end up a lot better and take way less work to get them back on the wood.

EVR
12-27-2022, 08:01 PM
I hand forge some of mine tools.

Here are some hammers and a drawknife I made.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 09:11 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/xjpXYLFH/95-AF97-A2-3-EB5-4-FF0-8-CE5-3-D4-AA5845907.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mhMLy142)

Here is a few odds and ends I have along with my yankee drill and a plastic crank drill. Even though some of these are cheap, like the chisel and drill, I still think they are neat. The drill I’ve had since before my house fire.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 09:13 PM
As a fellow accumulator and user of vintage woodworking hand tools... Be aware that rehabbing old rust is a hobby of its own. My #1 advice is buy quality and be aware that costs incurred rehabbing is part of the cost of the tools.

I got fairly unhappy buying old tools "In the wild." They are often horribly abused and badly rusted/pitted. Now, I pay a lot more attention to condition and brand before I buy. This pushes cost up some, but the tools end up a lot better and take way less work to get them back on the wood.

I’m pretty much a take what you can get kind of accumulator.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 09:17 PM
A hatchet given by a friend.

https://i.postimg.cc/5ym0hFG7/95-C79-B11-4-E04-463-A-944-A-9938-F834-B564.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MfvqRXzV)

beemer
12-27-2022, 09:37 PM
I found a handsaw vice and a set, I'm not perfect at it but still trying. One of the most aggravating things I have ever made is a handsaw handle. I have made a couple of nice ones but it's not really worth it unless it's something special.

All the younger folks think cordless tools are a new thing.

EVR, That's the bottom line, make the tools to make the tools.

chsparkman
12-27-2022, 10:49 PM
I make bamboo fly rods from scratch, so I'm constantly using Japanese cut-off saws and block planes. I sharpen my plane irons with water stones. I also keep my chisels sharp and handy as well as my hand router plane. I also often use a Yankee screwdriver. Don't know where I'd be without my hand tools.

contender1
12-27-2022, 11:37 PM
The Ruger Corporation made the hand drills,, as well as yankee screwdrivers & a Bit & Brace. I'm still looking to find a yankee screwdriver. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the Brace.

Bazoo
12-27-2022, 11:38 PM
I’d love to be able to sharpen and set my own handsaws. I have only a Chinese made craftsman with the truck cut teeth for a handsaw. Guess I’ll be on the lookout for the gear. Always on the lookout for a good single man buck saw too but I want a tool, not a decoration...

Wayne Smith
12-28-2022, 12:29 PM
I have a bunch of hand tools from my great uncle and grandfather. I suppose I have the ability to sharpen a saw, I have the knowledge and can get the files and think I have a tooth setter among the two tool boxes, but being ADHD I don't have the patience. I take even my chain saw blades to the local Shure Set company - they can sharpen almost anything.

blackthorn
12-28-2022, 12:50 PM
"Stood on a chair and used a 12 gauge to start a hole I could then get my key-hole saw into. Fun times!"

Wayne

Neither did mine! May have been because she had her back turned and did not know what I was about to do---till the gun went off!

Bazoo
12-28-2022, 02:49 PM
I too enjoy old tools.
Have a small collection.
Also have a few that need to be repaired.
Just getting to old to do it these days.
If your interested, I can dig them out and post some pictures.

I am interested. You have a collection of everything don’t ya?

Mk42gunner
12-28-2022, 06:26 PM
I’d love to be able to sharpen and set my own handsaws. I have only a Chinese made craftsman with the truck cut teeth for a handsaw. Guess I’ll be on the lookout for the gear. Always on the lookout for a good single man buck saw too but I want a tool, not a decoration...
Do as chill45100 suggested, look up some of Paul Seller's videos. He makes sharpening, and setting, a handsaw look very easy. About the only thing you really have to buy is a decent triangular file.

He also recommends using a No 4 plane for most things a block plane is used for. I found an ancient no name plane close to the size of a No 3 Stanley; it seems to work easier than a block plane ever did for me, and is light enough to use one handed.

Robert

JimB..
12-28-2022, 06:40 PM
Seems there may be some galoots here.

I always enjoyed Roy Underhill’s series “The Woodwright’s Shop” on PBS.

There is a series of outstanding books by Charles Ellsworth that are less about tools and more about technique.

Bazoo
12-28-2022, 07:19 PM
I appreciate the replies. Especially the ones with suggestions of books and videos.

I have always like the woodwrights shop. Watched it and the new yankee workshop since I was a kid. No tv currently so no watching.

I been woodworking since I was ten years old. And using various hand and power tools. Of the various hand tools, the hand plane and occasionally a chisel has been useful in my joinery work. Mostly though you don’t need them because of correct preparation and execution.

Nothing looks as good as a hand planed board though.

I’d love to find a #3 Jack plane. I been wanting another #4 so I can sharpen one with a round edge for fast and cross grain work and and then also have one for fine planing. It’s a trick I seen on the woodwrights shop.

Finding a #3 plane is not something one runs across on the norm.

atr
12-28-2022, 07:30 PM
I too enjoy working with wood, always have and I do have quiet a few nice old hand tools. Block planes, Jack planes, joiner planes, rabbit plane, twist drills and braces, a good assortment of chisels. carpenters squares and hand saws both finish and rough. I remember once I was helping the community build a wood play station for the kindergarten and I used the planes to finish the edges etc. No one had every seen anyone use a hand plane before!
You should keep looking for that old stuff, the quality is almost always good and better yet if it is stamped "Made in America"
best atr

beezapilot
12-28-2022, 07:56 PM
I've not had much luck with photos on this site, but will try a few from my shop. 308605308606
I use many of them, that Whitman & Miles slick is just under 5 pounds of razor on a stick, very handy!
Drop a PM with your number if you would like, I'll text the ones that wouldn't post

Bazoo
12-28-2022, 08:19 PM
I too enjoy working with wood, always have and I do have quiet a few nice old hand tools. Block planes, Jack planes, joiner planes, rabbit plane, twist drills and braces, a good assortment of chisels. carpenters squares and hand saws both finish and rough. I remember once I was helping the community build a wood play station for the kindergarten and I used the planes to finish the edges etc. No one had every seen anyone use a hand plane before!
You should keep looking for that old stuff, the quality is almost always good and better yet if it is stamped "Made in America"
best atr

Thanks for your comment. My boy is getting the love too, as we hunt for and refurbish old tools.

abunaitoo
12-28-2022, 11:16 PM
I am interested. You have a collection of everything don’t ya?

Kind of a pack rat.
Have way to much stuff.
I'll dig out some old tools and post.

JimB..
12-29-2022, 01:28 AM
I've not had much luck with photos on this site, but will try a few from my shop. 308605308606
I use many of them, that Whitman & Miles slick is just under 5 pounds of razor on a stick, very handy!
Drop a PM with your number if you would like, I'll text the ones that wouldn't post

Love the organization!

toot
12-29-2022, 06:40 AM
that is great, start then young. you got a great little one there.

toot
12-29-2022, 06:45 AM
beemer, I haven't seen a saw set since the 1970's. got one at a flea market, then asked an old timer how to use it. they work great! and at 78++++,I am the old timer!

quack1
12-29-2022, 08:27 AM

Gee, I wonder where Bill Ruger got the design for the frame on his first 22 pistol?

jim 44-40
12-29-2022, 09:00 AM
Would it be a good idea to store hand planes with the lever cap handle released to take tension off the spring steel?

beemer
12-29-2022, 10:12 AM
beemer, I haven't seen a saw set since the 1970's. got one at a flea market, then asked an old timer how to use it. they work great! and at 78++++,I am the old timer!

Saw sets were common around here, I have picked up several at good prices. Last one I bough was probably 15 years ago, a new looking Millers Falls for $3. The old guy selling it didn't know what it was. My Dad found a crosscut saw set, he was going to show me how sharpen one but time got away from us.

I looked or a handsaw vice for years and found two one weekend. A fellow in front of me picked up the first one before I got it, I bought the next one. You can get along with a regular vice and two short stiff boards but a proper vice really works well.

Dave

WRideout
12-30-2022, 11:52 AM
I recently read the Foxfire book that dealt with Appalachian iron making and blacksmithing. One section told of a blacksmith who rather routinely reshaped axes to thin the cutting edge, after they had been sharpened repeatedly. It seems to me that would be a lot of ax using and sharpening.

Wayne

contender1
01-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Another picture of an old Ruger tool.

https://i.postimg.cc/tgCcTqYc/P1040341.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G4VKg1PP)

Bazoo
01-01-2023, 03:34 PM
I recently read the Foxfire book that dealt with Appalachian iron making and blacksmithing. One section told of a blacksmith who rather routinely reshaped axes to thin the cutting edge, after they had been sharpened repeatedly. It seems to me that would be a lot of ax using and sharpening.

Wayne
I have book 1 and 2. Very interesting and useful info contained their in.

Bazoo
01-01-2023, 03:36 PM
Another picture of an old Ruger tool.

https://i.postimg.cc/tgCcTqYc/P1040341.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G4VKg1PP)

That is cool. The other two have a Ruger look. This one.. not so much.

dannyd
01-01-2023, 04:05 PM
I have been using this Stanley for 55 years and I lived over a cabinet shop for the first 17 years of my life. That old building was packed with some of best woodworking equipment on earth.

Shurshot2
01-01-2023, 07:32 PM
Is there a good resource on how to refinish an old plane?

15meter
01-01-2023, 07:37 PM
First started using a Yankee screwdriver in college. I still have a small one that I use occasionally. Should pick up one of the original wood handled full sized ones just for the grins of it.

I helped in the scene shop in the theater building helping to build props for the productions. Fun times.

THE best place to meet chicks on campus.:bigsmyl2:

But I was a dirty old man even back then.

contender1
01-02-2023, 12:16 AM
The FoxFire books,, I have them all. In book #5 I believe,, is the stuff on building Flintlock muzzleloading rifles. And one of the people they highlight is Jim Chambers,, of Chambers Flintlocks. His daughter,, is my DIL. My son married into a gun family.

The Ruger tools were built before Bill started the gun company. He started the "Ruger Corporation" in 1946. It closed in 1948. He opened Sturm, Ruger firearms in 1949.

William Yanda
01-02-2023, 07:43 AM

Check the Oldtools Archive.

jonp
01-02-2023, 08:15 AM

Wayne

My father used a 30-30 to punch holes in the roof of his trailer to put a stovepipe through. Not exactly round but close enough for the collar to cover.

jonp
01-02-2023, 08:17 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/5ym0hFG7/95-C79-B11-4-E04-463-A-944-A-9938-F834-B564.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MfvqRXzV)

That's a good friend.

schutzen-jager
01-02-2023, 08:24 AM
Gee, I wonder where Bill Ruger got the design for the frame on his first 22 pistol?

yes the standard model frame came from the drill - just saw that style drill on flea market table in PA. this fall - asking price was $300.00, + refused $100.00 offer -

Bazoo
01-02-2023, 10:04 PM
I was gifted a spokeshave by a nice member here.

https://i.postimg.cc/13kXGsNB/EF76-DEF4-883-A-4-A88-AA56-5-BDD2-A71-C030.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5Xmf1cgQ)

contender1
01-02-2023, 11:10 PM
"yes the standard model frame came from the drill - just saw that style drill on flea market table in PA. this fall - asking price was $300.00, + refused $100.00 offer - "

Yes,, you can easily look at the pistol grip designed hand drill & see how he came up with his first gun, the Standard Auto. Oh,, if I had seen one at a flea market,, for $300,, I would have tried to haggle a little,, but I would have bought it,, if it'd been in good shape.

abunaitoo
01-08-2023, 04:43 AM
Some old tool I have.

Bazoo
01-09-2023, 01:12 PM
Abunaitoo, wow! That is some cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

JimB..
01-10-2023, 08:58 AM
Some old tool I have.

What is the item to the left of the butt marker and above the spring scale?

gunther
01-10-2023, 09:36 AM
A Stanley No 94 butt gauge. Used for installing doors, hinges (I think) and as a square. Courtesy of a reproduction Stanley catalog

abunaitoo
01-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Back in the god old days, people would repair their tools.
In the second picture, lower right corner.
It is a replacement tape measure tape.
I don't thinks anyone even sells those anymore.
I have an old tape measure that has a leather cover.
I'll see if I can find it and post a picture.

Bazoo
01-10-2023, 10:47 PM
I was wondering what that was abunaitoo.

I been putting my new spokeshave to good use. Making a handle for moms old hatchet head.
https://i.postimg.cc/RZvb8sMF/4-A538167-0-A33-45-B2-B520-95759-E61092-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/SJtrYGYF)
Almost done. I think I’ll make it octagonal.

Paf
01-10-2023, 11:00 PM
Always been interested in tools since I took 7th grade shop. I continued taking school shop classes all through public school; became a shop teacher as my career. Working in the school shops gave me the chance to continue using and showing how to use these fine tools to my students. Enclosed is some photos of some current students using hand tools in my 7th/8th grade semester woodworking class. A Miller Falls hand drill and a brace with a bit adaptor (from Lee Valley tools) are being used in the assembly of a small folding stool.

Our shop has some "modern" tools/machines as well. We have a couple of CNC routers as well as a CNC wood lathe that students gain experience with. Between these machines and the old, I feel it's a nice balance that the students get in my classes.

farmbif
01-10-2023, 11:13 PM

ive had one of these with the longer handle for about 10 years now. fortunately got it before prices went crazy. use it nearly every day during the winter. in fact, I just used it earlier to cut kindling. ive never had to sharpen it and it is just as razor sharp today as the day I got it. ive got a bunch of hatchets and axes some antique some modern but I dont think there is a better axe steel that what this maker produces.

Bazoo
01-10-2023, 11:30 PM
And I have seen a replacement tape measure tape. About ten years ago was the last I seen one.

Thanks all for posting.

I have a bit adapter from lee valley as well as a socket adapter for my brace. One of the few things from before the fire. I don’t have any drill bits though other than one that is in very poor shape.

I’ve been slowly gathering my tools. They are scattered here and there. Some in the shop, some the house. Some various tool boxes. I’m going to get them all in one place atleast for a while. I want to make a wooden toolbox for them. Been pondering it.

Got the wood plane apart and about half done. Got to do something to the chip breaker as I found sawdust under it. The boy helped thus far.

Got the cap on the spokeshave tuned pretty good now. Flat on the back and removed the square face so shavings don’t bunch up. It works like a dandy now! Makes a ribbon from walnut that is a thing of beauty. Does fair on that ash I’m making the hatchet handle out of.

I got a bad axe habit forming. I need a double bit. Been eying the one at ace hardware but... maybe I can find a used one. The handle grain doesn’t suit me on the one at ace. It’s a council so it ain’t bad.

15meter
01-12-2023, 08:05 PM
Some old tool I have.

You need to move further inland, away from that salt air:kidding:

A small sample of my stash of bits to be used with my brace:

309124 309125

Think there is still another full set of auger bits around here, don't think I gave them away. I may have. I had 4 braces at one time. The bits may have gone with them.

The brace I kept was my Dad's. The Hitler brace. Always razzed my dad about having tools paid for by Hitler. After my dad came home from the service, the local Extension office put together an agronomy course for the returning GI's. Basically a 2 year tech degree program in farming in association with Michigan State University.

One of the instructors finagled the funding so every student got a VERY complete set of tools. Mechanic's, carpenter's, electrician's and plumber's tools. In today's world a multi-thousand dollar set of tools.
Without Adolph, dad would never have got his set of tools. I and his grandkids are still using those tools and their kids probably will continue using them. Thanks, Adolph!

David2011
01-17-2023, 02:40 AM
After we moved 4 years ago I had to have a shop built and then outfit it. I didn’t really want to be a woodworker but it was a necessity. I ended up getting a mix of hand and power tools. Got an old Disston hand saw and a sharpening vise, a couple of hand planes from the early 1900s and a more recent but still old block plane, a brace and bits, old Marples chisels made in Sheffield, England and probably more that isn’t coming to mind at the moment. They’re a fantastic supplement to the power tools.

William Yanda
01-17-2023, 09:46 AM

google rehab plane.

Bazoo
01-19-2023, 11:58 AM

I didn’t restore the one I have, just refurbished it enough to use. I disassembled it and used wd40 and sandpaper to remove the rust. Wire brush for the small parts. Reassemble it after sharpening. I would like to restore one. The process begins the same way but you remove the paint and the staining from the rust, repaint, polish the metal, and refinish the tote and knob.

Bazoo
01-19-2023, 12:05 PM
Here’s the plane ready to be reassembled.

https://i.postimg.cc/wvdgQv9G/C5-D04-A12-4-ACB-45-B4-A520-6503-FC25-C8-BE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7CXFxqG3)

porthos
01-21-2023, 07:43 PM
a note for old hand saw uses. i cut the blade into pieces with a cutoff blade in a handgrinder. use the pieces to make cabinet scrapers and thin knives for the shop

jim 44-40
01-22-2023, 05:37 AM
Going to make a trip to the Mercer Museum in Pa this year, supposed to be great woodworking tool museum.