PDA

View Full Version : Remember Our Men And Women In Uniform Standing For Us Far From Home

jonp
12-23-2022, 08:40 PM
Like many here I stood a post during these days many times far from home. My daughter left last week on an overseas adventure. Having been there myself and my wife being an Army brat she also understood. You go where you are ordered.

Please say a prayer for our men and women standing for us in the dark corners of the world during this holiday season.

Finster101
12-23-2022, 09:27 PM
I remember a couple of those as well, but we always seemed to make a good time out of it in the barracks. My best wishes for a happy holiday season to all our service members wherever they may be.

Idaho Mule
12-23-2022, 10:46 PM
Thanks to all who have and are now serving. Navy 1977 to 1981 myself. I was single and would always volunteer to take a married man's duty so he could spend time with family. Christmas in the service can be lonely, God bless them all.

square butte
12-24-2022, 09:07 AM
May the Good Lord Bless & Keep all those who stand and serve for us and the country - May He lift them up and make His presence known to them. especially at this sacred time of year

trails4u
12-24-2022, 10:06 AM
We are blessed to have one of our Sailors home with us for Christmas. His older brother, unfortunately however, will be standing his watch...along with so many more.

Prayers for all of them and their families!

shdwlkr
12-24-2022, 12:52 PM
May all who are serving this nation and away from find peace and comfort this holiday time. Hopefully they see this thread and realize many of us understand being away from home and family is hard and we send our prayers that they are safe and can once again come home.

MUSTANG
12-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Spent many a Holiday, particularly Christmas Eve/Christmas on Guard duty or another watch in the military so that those who had families could be with them. After being commissioned; I assimilated the habit of an Officer I had known when I was enlisted - On Christmas day if I was not on duty I would take a couple of hours to go and seek out those Marines and Sailors in our command and take them little Christmas snacks and wish each a Merry Christmas as they "Manned the Fighting Position" or stood the watch they were assigned.

Merry Christmas and may God Bless and Protect our Service members as they "Man the Fighting Positions" and stand the watches they are assigned this Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

MrWolf
12-24-2022, 02:09 PM
Thanks to all watching our backs. You are not forgotten in our prayers. Merry Christmas.
Ron

Winger Ed.
12-24-2022, 02:13 PM
Except for not being close to home, the holiday season on active duty wasn't too bad for me.

We always had a 24 hour duty NCO going on. You had stay at a desk by the phone--- awake, sober, and in uniform.
I learned pretty quick to go in and ask the Sgt. Major for duty on Christmas before he filled out the December duty roster.

The SgtMaj would always be surprised and ask me why I wanted the worst peace time duty assignment on Christmas.
I told him I was single, and Christmas away from home & family was more for the married guys with kids.
If I stood duty on Christmas for a married Marine-- I'd certainly be off for New Years, and that was a better holiday for me to be off on.

It worked every time! I wasn't assigned to Duty NCO on either.

Mk42gunner
12-24-2022, 05:45 PM
I always swapped to stand duty for anyone that was married or had family in the area. I also did it for New Years eve, aka Amateur Night.

Robert

Castaway
12-24-2022, 05:51 PM
I’m from a military family. I’m retired Army and so is my brother. Right now, his son, my nephew is in Syria.