PDA

View Full Version : For Thought and Meditation - Friday, December 23

Pine Baron
12-23-2022, 06:52 AM
Good morning all. Today's message gave me such a great sense of joy. Just what I needed. Have a safe and blessed day.

excerpted from “God In A Stable: Fact Or Fable?” by Dr. Robert Jeffress, 2015
The Fact Of Christ’s Atoning Work

You shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.
–Matthew 1:21

The fact that God became flesh means God understands you, but it means something more than that as well. And that is the third foundational fact on which the Christmas story is built: the fact of Christ’s atoning work. Why did Jesus come to earth in human form? It was not just to model what it means to follow God. The basic reason Jesus came was to provide atonement, a covering, for our sins. And that was part of the plan from the very beginning. The angel said to Joseph: “You shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).

When Jesus died on the cross, He took the punishment from God that you and I deserve for our sins. In one of the greatest passages about Christmas, Paul explained it this way: “Christ Jesus . . . although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:5-8). God willingly gave up His rights as God, lived a life of humiliation and rejection, and suffered the punishment for His creatures’ sins.

One year, a couple of days before Christmas, I was flying home to Dallas from Tampa, Florida. A young man sat down next to me on the plane. When he found out that I was a pastor, he wanted to talk about spiritual things, so we discussed everything from denominations to “The Da Vinci Code.” Throughout the conversation, he said the same thing several times: “I just can’t believe we’re sitting here talking. It has to be more than a coincidence that when I’ve been thinking about all these things, suddenly you appear here to answer my questions.”

After about the third time he said that, I replied, “You’re right. It’s not a coincidence that I’m sitting here. God has me here because He has a message for you. He wants you to know that He loves you so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for you so that you can have eternal life.”

It was evident to me that this young man had never heard that before. He said, “You know, Pastor, just hearing that makes you feel good, doesn’t it?” Just then, a little girl about three rows back began to sing at the top of her lungs, “Hark! the herald angels sing, ‘Glory to the newborn King: peace on earth, and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled!’” God and sinners reconciled–that makes you feel good, doesn’t it? And the best part of the message: it is true.

USMC87
12-23-2022, 08:57 AM
Amen, I am reconciled to God through Jesus atoning death in my rightful place!

GhostHawk
12-23-2022, 09:06 AM
I have been listening to christmas music (very much out of style for me, more a bah humbug type at heart)

Yesterday while at the fly tying bench a good version of Hark the Herald came on. I stopped and really listened. Left me with a warm glow that lasted all day.

Before Jesus we had The Lord God Almighty on one side, and all us sinners on the other. And all they had was the 10 commandments and the Law.

Afterwords we had sinners washed clean in the blood of the lamb. And the Lord God for the first time could see past our sins. God and Sinners reconciled indeed!

All that old history of sinning and defiance was wiped away. Instead we have peace on earth and good will to men.

Peace on Earth, now there is something worth reaching for this Christmas.

My advice to all this Christmas season.

Carry a song in your heart, mild words on your lips. And remember him that gave all so that we could live again.

Markopolo
12-23-2022, 10:04 AM
Got message!!!! Reconciled!

dverna
12-23-2022, 10:23 AM
Great message PB!

Ghost Hawk, there will not be peace on earth. I may not understand scriptures very well so welcome other views/interpretations.

Luke 2:14
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom He is pleased!

IMO the peace bestowed by Jesus is peace with God, if you accept Jesus "with whom He is pleased). For then your sins are forgiven, and you will have peace with God.

It does not say "peace on earth". Peace on earth is nice to imagine, and a good thing to say if you want to win a beauty pageant.

Another arrow piercing "peace on earth" is the fact that Jesus will return to conquer evil. It is not a task man can or will do. If we had peace on earth, there would be little or no evil, and no need for Jesus to return. But He must and will return to defeat evil.

We have peace with God as believers. That is cause for much rejoicing!

hoodat
12-23-2022, 12:11 PM
"Peace on Earth" -- Doesn't look too good if ya watch the news, but is attainable for all of us who live on earth with Jesus in our hearts. jd

buckwheatpaul
12-23-2022, 03:04 PM
What a great message and it is indeed fortunate that you were there with that young man! You just never know when a testimony/critical issue/ or a challenge surfaces....thank you and God for placing you in the right spot at the right time!