PDA

View Full Version : Bad moon rising

GOPHER SLAYER
12-22-2022, 02:58 PM
Weather report says the storm of the century is coming to the eastern half of the US and you could get frost bite in five minutes if any part of your bod is uncovered. Stay inside and stay warm.

Kraschenbirn
12-22-2022, 03:13 PM
It just got here...ice crystal snow and temp has dropped 20 deg. in last 90 minutes.

Bill

MUSTANG
12-22-2022, 03:22 PM
As the wife and I sit here by the Wood Stove; with electric power taking hits (off) every 5 to 15 minutes (Off for 3 to 60 seconds each time) for the last 16 hours; the temp outside is Minus 31 degrees Fahrenheit. I find it amazing how "Excited" and "Scared" and "Deeply Concerned" the weather and media are for the States to the East of Montana. Now if it were Florida that was going to get to Zero and Minus Degrees F; then I might jump on that band wagon with them! We used to call this WINTER.

Having spent many tours in "Cold Weather Environments" in my military and post military careers; I do agree with Gopher Slayer in his admonishment to stay inside and stay warm because cold can be a source of serious injury or even a killer.

BLAHUT
12-22-2022, 03:48 PM
About -1o out with a clear sky and about a 15 MPH wind, just came in from shoveling snow for the last couple hours, I really feel for those that have to deal with the cold, haven't had a winter here in about 30 years... When I moved here from living in the mountains, used to living in -50 to -70 weather, when I arrived just after a storm, -25 clear sky no wind, I was out shoveling snow in a T shirt and sweeting. Just a frame of mind and what you are accustom to...

Ithaca Gunner
12-22-2022, 04:01 PM
I guess we're in phase I here, snow this morning, now sleet and rain changing back to snow tonight, rain and sleet again tomorrow changing to snow again when the bottom drops out of the thermometer. No worries about the temps or precip, it's the high winds that I hate.

Winger Ed.
12-22-2022, 04:04 PM
It's hit here too.

I looked out and I think the wind is blowing hard enough to knock the Chrome off a trailer hitch.

country gent
12-22-2022, 04:12 PM
[COLOR="#EE82EE"]Mark 8 months from today on the calendar and watch the hospitals around that day. Maternity wards will be working overtime./COLOR] :bigsmyl2:

Winger Ed.
12-22-2022, 04:26 PM
[COLOR="#EE82EE"]Mark 8 months from today on the calendar and watch the hospitals around that day. Maternity wards will be working overtime./COLOR] :bigsmyl2:

Reminds me of a favorite co-worker I had. The most practical and common sense guy I ever met.

One of the office employees came through the shop on his way inside one day,
and he was trailed by 6 kids following him like a line of baby ducks.

After they had all gone on inside, he said, "We need to pitch in and get that guy a TV".

Hannibal
12-22-2022, 04:48 PM
Weather report says the storm of the century is coming to the eastern half of the US and you could get frost bite in five minutes if any part of your bod is uncovered. Stay inside and stay warm.

The media always makes everything sound like the biggest news story of the century. Sensationalism is bad enough in the news, but it ticks me off when they do the same with weather.
Apparently it's too much to ask to just report the facts and leave the speculation to the speculators.

poppy42
12-22-2022, 04:56 PM
That would make about the 6th storm of the century, that I can think of since 2,000. Hum, do ya think the news media likes ta Sensationalize things? It’s a storm! If ya live in cold climates, prepare for winter storms! If you live in the south on Atlantic, or the Gulf prepare for hurricanes or tropical storms! Simple, no big deal!

rockrat
12-22-2022, 05:00 PM
News reported yesterday that the temp in Greely,CO dropped 30 degrees in 9 minutes and DIA airport reported a drop of 37 degrees in 1 hour, a new record

georgerkahn
12-22-2022, 05:01 PM
The media always makes everything sound like the biggest news story of the century. Sensationalism is bad enough in the news, but it ticks me off when they do the same with weather.
Apparently it's too much to ask to just report the facts and leave the speculation to the speculators.

Wife and I got a chuckle as part of television noon news today it was suggested to have an "emergency bag" in one's trunk. A half-hour earlier I got a similar message from Credit Union, where they indicated that unless all seating space in the vehicle was accounted for -- the stupidest place to keep the emergency bag would be the trunk. They suggested a 99-cent grocery store shopping bag with a few water bottles, candy bars, maybe a granola bar, a two-day supply of necessary meds in a zip-lock bag and a blanket, plus a set of spare flashlight batteries and maybe an outboard cell-phone charger. Outside the bag would be kept the flashlight! They added questioning who would wish to lose all heat and risk getting hit by another vehicle to go out and seek stuff in their trunk! However, they added that a small coffee-can of sand for traction and a shovel kept in trunk not as a bad idea.
BEST wishes to all weathering through whatever weather falls!
geo

Digger
12-22-2022, 05:23 PM

Johnch
12-22-2022, 05:32 PM
Yea it is headed our way Toledo , Ohio
45 right now at my house with light rain
Friday the high is 9 degrees and a low of -1
Add the snow they say were are going to get with 40 MPH winds
Things will be interesting

Saturday a high of 12 and a low of 3 degrees

The rain we are getting right now will make a lot of Black Ice

So I agree
Watch out

John

elmacgyver0
12-22-2022, 05:33 PM
I do not travel when it snows.
If where I work has a problem with that, so be it, they can fire my butt.
I was going to retire at 68, but my supervisor convinced me to work 3 days a week.
Well today it was two days a week.

Rapier
12-22-2022, 06:13 PM
I pulled the eject handle in 69 on the opening day of deer season. I was in the mountains of NH at day break, stalk hunting deer when it started spitting snow. By noon snow was 2' deep, I could not see five feet, could not tell going up from going down or going around the mountain. I walked until I walked into water, I knew a pond was on top of the mountain, problem was I had to walk across the pond in waist deep water. Right streight out the other side and down the mountain to get to a dirt road. Then take a left and down to find my car buried in the snow, Got back to the camp after dark, last one in. It was a great day, everyone at our hunting camp lived, many camps were not so lucky.
There were 36 hunters lost in the woods that day. It snowed 100 inches in 24 hours with 50 mph winds. If you did not know how to survive in that, you died. ME, NH and VT, affectionately know it as the blizzard of 69. The drifts were up to the bottom of the bridges over I 95 and the ME Turnpike. They brought the snow ploughs from Logan International Airport, Boston, to get into Berlin, NH. I swore If I got out of that blizzard alive, I was gone, leaving the state. 1971 I left permanently. It was the second blizzared I made it through by reading a topo map the night before as a precaution and remembering orientation points. Then finding one point, orienting myself and walking out. A compass in the mountains can be all but useless.
In the 101st they call it Recondo School. the world know us as LRPs.

dverna
12-22-2022, 06:18 PM
Calling for 18" here.

Yesterday moved over 3 cords of firewood into the garage using the tractor and pallet jack. Should be enough to take us to end of February. Reason for moving that much wood is health issues both of us are dealing with.

Had to drive 90 miles to get a pain shot in the neck this morning and we missed the storm. Should be here in a couple of hours.

Nice to have a whole house generator as winds are going to be nasty together with the heavy snow dump.

popper
12-22-2022, 06:24 PM
16f, 30 mph winds and going down like a pregnant pole vaulter. 10F or lower expected, wind chill is neg.

Ithaca Gunner
12-22-2022, 09:26 PM
So far the most irritating thing is the intermintant power outages and flickers. None have lasted over a few minutes, but there's been about 30 of them since noon. I got the generator ready and the hurricane lanterns filled, one of which even has a small cook set that fits on top! (when I saw that rascal, I HAD to have it!)

BLAHUT
12-22-2022, 09:35 PM
Electricity is a convenience, I grew up without electricity, gas lights, wood cook stove in winter, gas cook stove in summer, gas refergator, cold, through another log in the stove, anything else was battery powder. Never had a problem getting the dogs up and the sled running...

No_1
12-22-2022, 09:54 PM
Y’all stay safe.

Dave W.
12-22-2022, 10:10 PM
And people wonder why I moved to Arizona at the old age of 23. Grew up on the high line in Montana, then we moved to Wyoming. Got tired of -40 degrees, before the wind chill factor, and walking over fences on snow. I may be a wimp, but I ain't cold.

slim1836
12-22-2022, 10:19 PM
Looked out earlier today and saw 2 snow flakes moving horizontally. That's all the snow I saw all day. 12 degrees now and I'm not getting out. That's shirtsleeve for some of y'all but not me.

Wife gets out 2-4 times a day, she can get my Grizzly wintergreen long cut smokeless tobacco on one of those trips.

Yup, I'm a wimp, but a smart wimp.

Slim

Wayne Smith
12-23-2022, 05:23 PM
Well, let's see. 60 mile gusts in Virginia Beach today. Dropping to below freezing for the first time in the season - and wind chills tomorrow AM to be around 11 or 12 degrees. I'll be out in the back yard smoking a turkey, did my neighbor's today, ours tomorrow. Yup, have the equipment I need and can run into the house at any point in the process. Son, daughter in law, and three grandchildren will be here as well, driving in tonite.

Nope, tonite they say the wind chill will be between -5 to +5 degrees.

Winger Ed.
12-23-2022, 05:26 PM
(probably not the best picture I ever took)

I looked out in the front yard, and never thought it'd be 20 degrees, and I'd see this in the middle of the day:

buckwheatpaul
12-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Our day started with 8 degrees and a wind chill of -6 degrees....did all that I thought I needed to do but alas the outside tankless water heater froze even though I had 2 - 100 W lightbulbs inside the cabinet with them.....Had to take a propane heater and a big bottle of propane to thaw it out but no fowl....all is working, the cows are full as are the horses....have a lot to be thankful for! For you folks way up North I dont know how you can deal with your weather! Merry Christmas to all and be safe with all the really cold weather we are all encountering!

Gewehr-Guy
12-23-2022, 06:27 PM
Yesterday started out nasty, and just got worse all day. -20 at daybreak, and a high early afternoon of -9, with winds of 40-50 and blowing snow. The cattle don't know whether to lay in straw, or just stand and hunch up out of the wind. My heating element in the cattle waterer must have quit, so I had to chop out 3 inches of ice to make water. They looked like they were taking their turn for water, so I left for an hour. When I came back to make sure water was flowing, found a 600 pound heifer stuck her head in a gate, and couldn't get her feet under her because of ice. Lucky for me, my sawzall battery was charged, and I cut the gate apart before she choked to death. She still ain't quite right. Two days into Winter and I'm sick of it already!

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2022, 12:46 AM
Extreme cold can be dealt with, but the wind is what will get you. Here my house is protected from the wind from the wind in all directions except the south. I burn more wood to keep things comfortable, when there’s a strong wind from the south than from the north.

dverna
12-24-2022, 01:38 AM
Being prepared makes a huge difference. We have planned very well and have backups for heat and power.

The only change in lifestyle today was staying home. Easy to do when retired.

We could live for a long time without power from the utility company or needing to go into town. Just put another three logs in the insert and going to bed soon.

Tomorrow will get the tractor fired up. Have a 74” inverted blower that will make quick work of the snow over the last two days. Should be over 12” on the ground by the morning.

Not sure the county road has been plowed yet but no big deal. We can visit friends on the sleds if we get cabin fever.

Checked on “The Hermit” today to be sure he was OK. Will check on him tomorrow as well. He is an old Vet. Lives in a 16x16 cabin with no water and one 115v circuit. He is my closest neighbor...3/4 miles away.

schutzen-jager
12-24-2022, 08:38 AM
here in central New Jersey 60 degrees at 5am yesterday morning - 6 degrees with a minus 10 degree wind chill at 5am this morning - prediction is for coldest Christmas in a century here -

happy holidays to all !

Ithaca Gunner
12-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Eight degrees here currently, up from five over night, not a bit of snow on the ground. Sitting here with a severe chest and head cold, it's gonna be a few days before I venture out for anything other than letting the dogs out and in. No Christmas Eve Service for me.

waksupi
12-24-2022, 01:14 PM
I'm sure glad I'm not feeding cattle anymore.