PDA

View Full Version : Federal Large Magnum Rifle v. standard LR primers?

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 12:38 PM
Cabela's has Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers in. I do have a brick of CCI standard LR coming in, but have never worked with large rifle magnum in my 45-70. Dropping down to moderate loads. Additionally, changing up my boolit to 405 WFNGC from 425 WFNGC.

I understand we should start on the lower end when working up using large rifle magnums. Any issues with using these in moderate 45-70 loads?

BLAHUT
12-22-2022, 12:50 PM
I tried every flavor of primers I could lay my hands on. The only thing I changed in the load was the primers in my 45/70. All brands of primers were about the same over a coronagraph, within a few FPS of each other, except Federal and CCI, gave a 100 FPS more. I only use mag primers now. Just drop your load some and work up so you know what you have ??? Dropping bullet weight in your load should only give you faster FPS. This is what I found over a coronagraph when checking loads. JMO....

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 12:56 PM
I tried every flavor of primers I could lay my hands on. The only thing I changed in the load was the primers in my 45/70. All brands of primers were about the same over a coronagraph, within a few FPS of each other, except Federal and CCI, gave a 100 FPS more. I only use mag primers now. Just drop your load some and work up so you know what you have ??? Dropping bullet weight in your load should only give you faster FPS. This is what I found over a coronagraph when checking loads. JMO....

OK thanks. Lol, in between when I asked this and now....they sold out. Good to know for the future!

Winger Ed.
12-22-2022, 01:15 PM
OK thanks. Lol, in between when I asked this and now....they sold out. Good to know for the future!

---You move your feet,,,, you lose your seat.
If you see a good deal, or something you want---
grab it and talk about it later or there's a good chance it'll be gone when you make up your mind..

PJEagle
12-22-2022, 01:32 PM
I believe large rifle magnum primers are a little longer, front to back, than standard large rifle primers. You may have a problem trying to seat the magnum primers because the pocket will be too shallow if your not using magnum primer brass. I learned this with my S&W 460 Magnum.

The information above is incorrect:
I was thinking about the difference in dimensions between large pistol and large rifle primers.
Sorry!
John

mdi
12-22-2022, 01:43 PM
K.I.S.S.! "Reloading 101" whenever a component is changed, do another load work up. Start from step one for a new load. (I believe if one needs to ask this question, they should always err of the safe/cautious side). You are changing two components so check your load manual and use starting loads and work up if necessary...

FWIW an just my "Rule #1"; I pay very little (no) attention to any load data I see on any forum or "pet loads" website, hear from any good intended friend, range rat, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru. I get 98% of my load data from published reloading manuals and a few from powder and bullet manufacturer's websites. I have been practicing this for 40 years and have had one squib (1972) and no Kabooms. If a forum member or any individual says "I did it with XX grains of PPP powder", I just smile and thank him for his input and go to my published information...

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 02:03 PM
---You move your feet,,,, you lose your seat.
If you see a good deal, or something you want---
grab it and talk about it later or there's a good chance it'll be gone when you make up your mind..

Good advice!

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 02:04 PM
K.I.S.S.! "Reloading 101" whenever a component is changed, do another load work up. Start from step one for a new load. (I believe if one needs to ask this question, they should always err of the safe/cautious side). You are changing two components so check your load manual and use starting loads and work up if necessary...

FWIW an just my "Rule #1"; I pay very little (no) attention to any load data I see on any forum or "pet loads" website, hear from any good intended friend, range rat, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru. I get 98% of my load data from published reloading manuals and a few from powder and bullet manufacturer's websites. I have been practicing this for 40 years and have had one squib (1972) and no Kabooms. If a forum member or any individual says "I did it with XX grains of PPP powder", I just smile and thank him for his input and go to my published information...

Also good advice and point well-taken. Thanks.

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 02:04 PM
I believe large rifle magnum primers are a little longer, front to back, than standard large rifle primers. You may have a problem trying to seat the magnum primers because the pocket will be too shallow if your not using magnum primer brass. I learned this with my S&W 460 Magnum.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

fredj338
12-22-2022, 04:23 PM
If your load isnt max, adding a mag primer has little affect on pressures. My experience is sometimes swapping to a mag primer can affect accuracy though, good or bad.

fredj338
12-22-2022, 04:25 PM

THis is not true. If it were, there wouldn't be any compatibility with primers. You dont use a magnum primer in only magnum cases.

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 04:45 PM
If your load isnt max, adding a mag primer has little affect on pressures. My experience is sometimes swapping to a mag primer can affect accuracy though, good or bad.

Thanks Frank, good to know. I suspect my best move is to isolate as much as I can before tweaking more than one thing at a time. Just got this brick of CCI regular LR's, so will work up the load with 5744 (and might as well try lower horsepower 4198 with what I have). Still thinking of the 2400, though 8 lbs is a lot of commitment I'm not sure about with my parameters in mind, yet.

steveu
12-23-2022, 12:40 PM
I have found no difference between standard or magnum in 40-50sbn with BP. I have found that in my 45-70’s with BP, I get better groups and smaller sd’s with magnum primers.