PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early/ new puppy

Mk42gunner
12-22-2022, 01:03 AM
I lost my constant companion Daisy a minpin/terrier cross mutt in October. She was with me for a month shy of thirteen years, and was about nine or ten months old when I got her from the pound. I finally got to where I could look at her spot on the couch and not expect to see her.

I was talking with my cousin a few days ago and she asked "What about an Australian Shepard?" Seems a woman she knows had some almost ready to go.

I met her this evening and got him; an eight week old, rolly polly sixteen pound chunky guy. Supposed to be a mix of Austrailan shepard and Heeler. I haven't decided on a name for him yet; Buddy the tom cat doesn't know what to make of him and Mom's spayed female cat Speedy just watches him from on top of the ice box.

He may be the best Christmas present since I got my first rifle in 1974.

Robert

Winger Ed.
12-22-2022, 01:22 AM
Cool.

A buddy used to have one of those.
It was smarter than several people I know.

granville_it
12-22-2022, 01:52 AM
"Blue Heeler" is never a mistake.

Mark

Bazoo
12-22-2022, 02:11 AM
Congratulations. Burnside is a good name to think on I think!

jonp
12-22-2022, 05:32 AM
Needs lots of exercise.

Wag
12-22-2022, 07:58 AM
Sounds like a great mix. It'll run you ragged!

--Wag--

MrWolf
12-22-2022, 08:30 AM
Congrats on your new buddy. Merry Christmas.

pworley1
12-22-2022, 09:10 AM
That mix is a good combination.

lightman
12-22-2022, 09:13 AM
Congratulations on your new buddy!

Texas by God
12-22-2022, 09:46 AM
Congratulations on the new friend. My outside dogs are a Blue Heeler boy and a Australian Sherpard /mutt mix girl. Floyd and Pepper. Fun dogs they are.
They think that I hung the moon.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
12-22-2022, 10:03 AM
Hope you have a long and happy time together.

elmacgyver0
12-22-2022, 10:13 AM
Congratulations on your new dog.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-22-2022, 11:36 AM
You will need to keep that heeler busy, they need to have a job. Enjoy.

shdwlkr
12-22-2022, 11:59 AM
I have a minature aussie and she has been with me 16 years. Very loyal animal and always interesting to what she can be up too. Good luck with your new best friend

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 12:07 PM
I lost my constant companion Daisy a minpin/terrier cross mutt in October. She was with me for a month shy of thirteen years, and was about nine or ten months old when I got her from the pound. I finally got to where I could look at her spot on the couch and not expect to see her.

I was talking with my cousin a few days ago and she asked "What about an Australian Shepard?" Seems a woman she knows had some almost ready to go.

I met her this evening and got him; an eight week old, rolly polly sixteen pound chunky guy. Supposed to be a mix of Austrailan shepard and Heeler. I haven't decided on a name for him yet; Buddy the tom cat doesn't know what to make of him and Mom's spayed female cat Speedy just watches him from on top of the ice box.

Robert

I'm sad you lost your buddy Robert, but really happy you have a new little one. Sounds like a beaut' . Love the image of Speedy going "awesome, now what am I going to do."

BLAHUT
12-22-2022, 01:19 PM
You are blessed with a new companion. Do enjoy for many years to come.
I lost my girl a couple years ago now she was with me every minuet of day or night for 10 1/2 years, got her at 6 weeks.
I have two Great Pyrenees, now, one just turned one year old this month and weights about 100 lbs., the other is 17 months old and weighs in at about 90 lbs, she is part blind, booth very living and gentle, until there is danger, booth are females. Wonderful companions.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2022, 05:16 PM
So far, he's been a good pup, no messes in the house. I'm sure that will change.

He likes snow, but isn't wild about -2F.

Robert

elmacgyver0
12-22-2022, 05:21 PM
My neighbor has an Aussie Shepherd/ Corgi mix, He calls her Solo because she is so low to the ground.

poppy42
12-22-2022, 05:34 PM
Puppies are great! (Dogs in general). As a matter of fact, thinking back on it. When the wife and I decided to have children, it would have been a whole lot cheaper, and a hell of a lot less aggravating if we had gotten a few more puppies/dogs instead! LOL. Our two sons certainly managed to push the limits of human endurance on more than one occasion!!!!! Lol! Ah I guess they turned out alright, and they both provided us with some beautiful grandchildren. ( grandchildren in my opinion are completely different and much more desirable than actual children). Sorry to hijack your thread I couldn’t resist it. Great news on the new pup! congratulations! I hope both of you enjoy a very healthy and happy long life! Don’t know what to do without my best buddy Max!

Winger Ed.
12-22-2022, 05:50 PM
grandchildren in my opinion are completely different and much more desirable than actual children).

I especially like the part where when their diaper becomes 'full', you can hand them back....

Frosty Boolit
12-23-2022, 06:38 AM
I have an Australian shepherd mixed with border collie. He is 5yo and my favorite dog I've ever known. He is a true best friend for as long as either of us live. He looks more like an Australian shepherd and is colored as a "brown tri".

Finster101
12-23-2022, 08:41 AM
Pics?

poppy42
12-23-2022, 01:07 PM
I especially like the part where when their diaper becomes 'full', you can hand them back....

My personal favorite has always been when they come to visit load them up with lots of sugar! Then send them home with the most extremely obnoxious loud and annoying toys!

buckwheatpaul
12-23-2022, 02:58 PM

Robert

A new pup is wonderful and brings its challenges....but in our opinion they are well worth the trouble....they certainly not any worse than a child! We are of the opinion that life is toooo short to not have a dog or two....so Congrats and enjoy the ride!

Winger Ed.
12-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Then send them home with the most extremely obnoxious loud and annoying toys!

Oh yeah.

I used to tell my sister, "You better be nice to me. Or I'll give your kid a drum and a whistle for Christmas".

Gunslinger1911
12-23-2022, 03:29 PM
Enjoy your pup !
I was dog-less for years. Nothing could replace my Malamute
Then I adopted Bear at 5 weeks old (6 lbs)
He's an American Bulldog
Grew to 130 lbs of pure loveable monster.
My best friend in the world
So careful with the little grandkids, to full rage beast when a coyote threatened one of them.

Mk42gunner
12-23-2022, 06:30 PM
Update on the new pup.

His name is now Bear. It was a toss up between that and Sir Snorzalot, but I figured that would be hard to yell across a field without laughing.

The pets in the house now have a new wide bottomed (hopefully stable) water dish. He got a little excited last night when I came in and stepped in the old cool whip container that has worked for years, then he did it again this morning. New water bowl this afternoon.

So far no bathroom type incidents; I take him outside, he makes a little yellow hole in the snow waits a bit then dumps. It does not take him long when it has been single digits or below since shortly after I brought him home.

Very few yips, which is way better than a barking fool. Somehow I just know that if he ever really barks I need to check what is wrong.

He has started exploring the house a bit, when he isn't snoring on my foot.

Robert

panhed65
12-23-2022, 07:47 PM
like the name, my blue heeler in named Bear, after a german shepard I had when I lived on the farm. most of my dogs have been shepards, and 3 Samoyed dogs. this one is a different animal. only one I had that was interested in planes and helicopters. been a lot of dogs, I am 74, got this one short of 2 years ago after the last Samoyed passed. keeps my busy. hope yours works out as well.
Barry

labradigger1
12-23-2022, 08:15 PM
There is no better gift than a dog! Loyal, living and caring no matter what! First one to see you when you get home, always happy to see you!
I feel sorry for people w/o doggies.

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2022, 12:26 AM
Congratulations! Great name too.

tommag
12-24-2022, 12:52 AM
Ausies seem to need jobs. We had one who observed my wife swatting a new cat when it scratched on the couch. From that point on, it became Misty's self appointed job to prevent cats from scratching on the furniture, no training, just a "mom doesn't allow that, don't do it "
We had a few sheep and goats, not much herding needed, but Misty and her pup would bring them into the barn every night at sundown. Again, no training, they just learned the routine and handled the chore for us.

Winger Ed.
12-24-2022, 01:27 AM
There is no better gift than a dog! Loyal, living and caring no matter what!

Oh yeah.
If you throw the wife or the dog in the trunk of a car for a hour or two--- the dog is always glad and happy to see you.
The wife, probably not so much.

dverna
12-24-2022, 10:39 AM
Been reading this and thinking about getting another dog. Swore I would never do it again, but I do love dogs.

Then I look at the 12"+ of snow I need to clear today and realize the downside. Cleaning up dog doo-doo is not fun.