PDA

View Full Version : Gagepins. Where to buy?

Thomas_K
02-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I've been looking to buy some gagepins to measure cylinders on .357" revolvers. But I am having a hard time finding someone that will ship me gages from the US. So, can any of you point me in the direction of someone that carries gagepins and who would be willing to ship USPS? What i need are minus pins from .354" to .3585". Ten pins total. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JudgeBAC
02-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Try ENCO, they have a nice set of economy minus pin gages that work like a charm.

Thomas_K
02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks JudgeBAC. I guess I'll have to get a complete set if nobody knows where i can get individual pins. http://www.gageshop.com/ sells them, but their orders are shipped directly from Meyer, and only with UPS or FedEx. ($80 to Norway for ten pins) I think that is a bit steep seeing as the ten pins are only $25.

Willbird
02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks JudgeBAC. I guess I'll have to get a complete set if nobody knows where i can get individual pins. http://www.gageshop.com/ sells them, but their orders are shipped directly from Meyer, and only with UPS or FedEx. ($80 to Norway for ten pins) I think that is a bit steep seeing as the ten pins are only $25.

You can buy individual pins, but typically they are of the better grade like Vermont. The import sets a whole set is not much more expensive than a half dozen GOOD individual pins. The imports are not "bad" don't get me wrong there please, just not generally of the same established quality standard as say Vermont grade ZZ pins for example.

A person or company COULD try to import sets that were gun oriented, IE with pin sizes clustered around common bullet sizes.

.221, .222, .223, .224, .225, .226, .227, .228
.306, .307, .308, .309, .310, .311, .312, .313, .314, .315
.354, .355, .356, .357, .358, .359

so on and so forth.

Calamity Jake
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
MSC Industrial Supply sells single pins or sets in both grades. At .001 steps ,a minus tol. pin will be .0002 under what is ordered(.358 is actuley .3578) Will they ship to Norway? I don't know! There web sight: mscdirect.com

If you want pins in .0000 tol then you will have to buy Deltronic pins, direct from them, the only company that I know of that makes then that close and there not cheep plus they have a min. order requirement.

Red River Rick
02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
........but their orders are shipped directly from Meyer, and only with UPS or FedEx. ($80 to Norway for ten pins) I think that is a bit steep seeing as the ten pins are only $25.

Thomas_K:

Perhaps one of the members would be kind enough to order the pins for you and forward them on. Shipping costs may be alot cheaper, rather than having them shipped via courier. One would think that USPS would be a lot cheaper. Just a thought.

RRR

Thomas_K
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Regarding shipping.
The USPS has some Flat Rate Envelopes that you can send up to 4 pounds in.
They are $10.95 to Canada/Mexico and $12.95 to all other countries.
http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm

Well worth knowing, as I get the impression that most people belive that international shipping is very expensive.

A kind member has already sent me a PM offering to help. :-D

EDIT:
I just received an e-mail from a very serviceminded woman at Meyer. http://www.meyergage.com/
She informed me that since my request they had decided to stock USPS envelopes and boxes and offer USPS shipping.
So in 7-10 days they are equipped to ship USPS in addition to UPS and FedEx. :drinks:

Thomas_K
03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
It took a while, but Meyer kept their word. They are set up for international (and i assume domestic) USPS shipping and my gages arrived today. Each gage came packed in a small bag with data on production, tolerances etc. labeled on the bag. Also a Certificate of Class/Conformance was included. I have to say I'm very impressed with the folks at Meyer.

Buckshot
03-04-2009, 04:30 AM
..............I'm very glad you got the gage pins, and also happy to see that someone here was willing to help you out, had you needed it.

.................Buckshot