PDA

View Full Version : darker stock

moto357
02-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm refinishing a stock that was painted before. Thought it was a shame to cover the wood up like that. The wood is really light colored and I used art's French red filler/stain, I've applied two coats so far, but the second didn't do much for it. I like how it helps bring the grain out, especially on the last gun I used it on. Thing is, I was hoping to get it darker...is there some other stain that would get me a bit darker and still give the grain some character? Better yet of I can find something locally. I'm not a woodworker of any sort, so I haven't a clue. Thanks for any help

waksupi
02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Hi Moto,

In a previous thread, Watco Oil Stain seemd to be recommended quite a bit. It is usually available at most hardware stores.

Bert2368
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Have you tried fuming wood with ammonia?

http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/woodworking-projects/techniques/restoration-workshop-darkening-wood/a/19177

It's handy, you just watch the wood inside the fume chamber (clear garbage bag will do) untill it's dark enough.

Ricochet
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I like Fiebing Red Mahogany leather dye. You can turn one nearly black with that if you put it on straight and let it soak, or you can dilute it in alcohol for lighter colors. Very pretty classic reddish brown color.

fourarmed
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Brownell's sells a Pilkington Spirit stain in a couple of shades of red that mixes well with oil finishes.

leadeye
02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Any good furniture NGR stain which is a dye like Ricochet is talking about should work. They usually go on the wood first before a wipe stain.:-D