PDA

View Full Version : How much lube on the sprue plate?

ghh3rd
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
When I made my first casts recently, I rubbed just a drop of lube onto the entire surface of the sprue plate, and then rubbed all of it off, so there was just a detectable trace of it. I poured 50 bullets and everything looked fine.

Was this the correct way to lubricate it? Can lube get into the mold cavities by covering the entire surface of the sprue plate? How often should it be lubed?

Randy

Bullshop
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Well Randy I am not sure if you are referring to bullplate or not but if you are one drop is way too much.
The instruction say to LIGHTLY DAMPEN. If someone is dunking a q-tip into the lube and saturating it they are using waaaaaaaaayyyyy to much lube.
The best method offered by a member is to shake the bottle the after opening use only what adheres to the cap to dampen the q-tip. Even with this small amount in the q-tip it is enough for several applications.
If your not using bullplate then you dont know what I am talking about and I feel rather silly.
BIC/BS

44man
02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Well Randy I am not sure if you are referring to bullplate or not but if you are one drop is way too much.
The instruction say to LIGHTLY DAMPEN. If someone is dunking a q-tip into the lube and saturating it they are using waaaaaaaaayyyyy to much lube.
The best method offered by a member is to shake the bottle the after opening use only what adheres to the cap to dampen the q-tip. Even with this small amount in the q-tip it is enough for several applications.
If your not using bullplate then you dont know what I am talking about and I feel rather silly.
BIC/BS
Don't feel silly! :Fire: Not much else stays liquid at high temps or works as good so I have no idea what else he can have!
If he is using some kind of oil it will creep everywhere and then burn on.
I agree he is wasting the wonderful stuff by using a whole drop but he wound up with the right amount in the end. He will buy more, faster, so be happy! :drinks: :mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I found out this past weekend how determined Bullplate is. Little to much applied just to the sprue hole on my 457122 mold caused the next two pours to not fill out the base. And I mean completely round, not even to the sprue plate. That's with the melt between 800 and 829 degrees. Wiped it clean and it still took two casts before the base filled out completely.