PDA

View Full Version : L&R RPL Lock - Bolt Screw Threads?

36g
12-19-2022, 12:55 AM
Looking at getting a L&R RPL #1 Flint Lock. What thread size are the stock bolt screw holes drilled and tapped for - 8/32 or 10/32?

waksupi
12-19-2022, 01:20 PM
That is something you do yourself. I would never buy a lock that had the bolt holes pre-drilled.

36g
12-19-2022, 01:59 PM
The photos of the locks show that the front hole is already drilled and the rear hole appears to be (it's hard to tell because the cock is blocking the viewpoint). If the holes are drilled then either they are already threaded or they are pilot holes (potentially for the smaller bolt) or to drill out and thread for the larger.

2152hq
12-19-2022, 03:41 PM
Here's L&R Co's contact page.

You can fill in your Email address, name ect. and type in a msg/question.
They will respond back by email.

https://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=59

The 'RPL' series of locks are 'Replacement Locks' for common commercially sold M/L rifles such as Traditions, CVA, TC, etc.
So the bolt holes are generally already in place, but I do not knowif they are tapped/threaded or not.

36g
12-19-2022, 04:28 PM
Here's L&R Co's contact page.

You can fill in your Email address, name ect. and type in a msg/question.
They will respond back by email.

https://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=59

The 'RPL' series of locks are 'Replacement Locks' for common commercially sold M/L rifles such as Traditions, CVA, TC, etc.
So the bolt holes are generally already in place, but I do not knowif they are tapped/threaded or not.

Thanks!

Jackrabbit1957
12-20-2022, 10:31 AM
You might want to verify if it's metric threads as well, As mentioned above these are replacements for factory locks, imported or domestic. It's supposed be a direct fit so depending on country of origin it may have metric or U.S standard threads.

nicholst55
12-20-2022, 10:59 AM
I have one of their RPL locks on a TC Renegade flinchlock, from years ago. The holes were already drilled and tapped when I received it from Track of the Wolf.

indian joe
12-21-2022, 06:21 AM
That is something you do yourself. I would never buy a lock that had the bolt holes pre-drilled.

its a replacement lock ! ( RPL code) the holes will be already drilled in the right place to make it a drop in fit

I think their main range of locks come drilled too ? maybe not ...have not done a build for several years.
Plenty of good shooting done with L & R locks - may not be the best but they are decent.

1Hawkeye
12-21-2022, 12:24 PM
Yes the RPL locks are pre drilled and tapped but I can't remember if its an #8 or #10 thread diameter I've installed 2 percussion versions of them one on a dixie tn mountain rifle and one on a t/c hawken. They are nice quality locks with a shorter hammer throw than the lock they replaced.

36g
12-21-2022, 03:41 PM
I contacted Track of the Wolf and they replied with a 4-.7mm thread.

Thanks for everyone's input!

36g
12-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Now I get a message from L&R stating that the thread is an 8-36...

1Hawkeye
12-21-2022, 11:09 PM
I'd go with what L&R told you when I installed the first one I had a couple of questions and a fellow named Bill walked me through it over the phone. Top notch service.