PDA

View Full Version : Please help with the manufacturing date of this H&R Revolver.

A34
12-18-2022, 06:47 PM
Gents,

I was at the LGS today and this gentleman walked in with a pistol to sell. The LGS passed on it at $60 stating that was the going price for one in this condition and advising the seller to put it online. I told him I'd give $60 for it, and I brought it home, complete with holster. I can't find much info on it online. The butt says H&R, Worcester, MA. and the top of the frame says .32 S&W. Near as I can tell, it's a H&R, Victor Model, 4" barrel with owner added loading gate and cylinder pin. Also, looks like the front sight has been filed on.

This has a 53,xxx serial number. Anyone have any manufacturing timeline data? I'm curious as to when it was made.

Thanks!

racepres
12-18-2022, 07:42 PM
Caliber Marking??
aside...Can you give me any Info on that Holster??? I am Searching for one like That for a 632!!!

A34
12-18-2022, 08:12 PM
Caliber Marking??
aside...Can you give me any Info on that Holster??? I am Searching for one like That for a 632!!!

The only one I see is on the top frame and looks like .32 S&W. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the holster.

Battis
12-18-2022, 10:28 PM
It does look like this model:
https://simpsonltd.com/h-r-victor-c48182/

$60 with the holster? Good deal.
Does the cylinder spin freely when the hammer is down (locks up when the hammer is cocked)?
Dating it will take a little more research. The info in that link says THE VICTOR REVOLVERS WERE MANUFACTURED BETWEEN 1913/16

Maybe you know, maybe not...Worcester is pronounced Worsta.
Did you take the grips off to see if there's any markings on the inside?

A34
12-18-2022, 11:48 PM
It does look like this model:
https://simpsonltd.com/h-r-victor-c48182/

$60 with the holster? Good deal.
Does the cylinder spin freely when the hammer is down (locks up when the hammer is cocked)?
Dating it will take a little more research. The info in that link says THE VICTOR REVOLVERS WERE MANUFACTURED BETWEEN 1913/16

Maybe you know, maybe not...Worcester is pronounced Worsta.
Did you take the grips off to see if there's any markings on the inside?

Yes, the cylinder does spin with the hammer down and locks up when cocked. The serial number is also stamped under the grips, no other info there.

I had customers in Worcester years ago and they "explained" how it was pronounced. LOL.

Thanks for the info!

MT Gianni
12-18-2022, 11:49 PM
I think they labelled the 32 short 32, and their 32 long 32 Long. I would assume that gun to shoot 32 S&W not longs even if they do chamber. It is a solid frame so should take a book load.

Battis
12-19-2022, 12:39 AM
I have an antique Forehand Arms Co. revolver that is very similar (also made in Worsta). Mine is .38 S&W. The cylinder spins freely with the hammer down, which aids in pushing out spent cases (with a rod) but locks up when the hammer is cocked. After firing, the hammer rebounds slightly, freeing up the cylinder to spin. It actually came with an extra cylinder. I fired it a few times using black powder.

racepres
12-19-2022, 10:43 AM
That looks very much like the 632 I have...I love it!!
H&R was a little Odd about Caliber Markings Later on...But 32 S&W means exactly what it Says!!! 32 S&W Long would be marked back then.
Of Note 32 S&W is Hotter loaded than 32 S&W Long, currently.. (ask @Larry Gibson). Absolutely No 32ACP...Much Hotter, and a slightly longer case.
So, Reloads is Best for that piece.. black powder probably preferred, Probably a chronograph, looking for 500FPS and less.. Tho it is Probably Much stronger than the Break-tops of the Era, and research may confirm it is for Smokeless?? witness the Thickness of that frame!!
I'm Jealous of the Revolver, and the Holster...Well Done...Have some Fun!!!
Oh...Lock-up... Note the Lack of a "slot" for the Bolt!!! The Hand Holds the Cylinder cutout "wall"...so Releasing the Hand from the ratchet...also releases the Cylinder, and of course the Bolt Falls away. Almost always, without a Bolt slot, indicates Black Powder, based on my little bit of research..

rintinglen
12-19-2022, 05:15 PM
H&R made similar revolvers from 1880-1940. I believe yours is one of the first type, made from1880 to approximately 1903, but I am not an expert. The locking mechanism is different, the cylinder is only fully locked when the trigger is pulled on the earlier types.

elmacgyver0
12-19-2022, 05:26 PM
Interesting homemade loading gate.

A34
12-19-2022, 06:19 PM
Thanks gents!

schutzen-jager
12-20-2022, 09:07 AM
the old pre WWII catalog shows all the solid frame ones with octagon barrels - yours is probably later - here are mine - first picture from the top -.32L American Double Action - .32L safety hammer Double Action - .32 Young America Double Action - .22LR Young America double Action - second picture 1930,s catalog - third picture is Hopkins + Allen .22lr XL double action -

racepres
12-20-2022, 10:50 AM
Good Stuff schutzen-jager
Do we suppose with round barrel it may be Smokeless???

A34
12-20-2022, 11:37 AM
the old pre WWII catalog shows all the solid frame ones with octagon barrels - yours is probably later - here are mine - first picture from the top -.32L American Double Action - .32L safety hammer Double Action - .32 Young America Double Action - .22LR Young America double Action - second picture 1930,s catalog - third picture is Hopkins + Allen .22lr XL double action -

Neat pistols! Do they have a letter prefix in infront of the s/n? From what I've read, s/n's with a letter prefix start in 1940. Mine is just numbers. So, I'm thinking it's pre 1940, but I don't know. Not a lot of info out there!

schutzen-jager
12-20-2022, 01:02 PM
none have any prefix in serial numbers - do not know about round barrel being smokeless, just easier + cheaper to manufacture then octagon - any markings on your barrel ? - my larger frame ones have name, address, + calber on barrels, the smaller ones do not -

A34
12-20-2022, 01:06 PM
none have any prefix in serial numbers - do not know about round barrel being smokeless, just easier + cheaper to manufacture then octagon - any markings on your barrel ? - my larger frame ones have name, address, + calber on barrels, the smaller ones do not -

No barrel markings.

schutzen-jager
12-20-2022, 02:25 PM
possible barrel replacement ? - unusual front sight - judging by the loading gate addition someone has done modifications on it -

A34
12-20-2022, 10:29 PM
possible barrel replacement ? - unusual front sight - judging by the loading gate addition someone has done modifications on it -

No idea on the barrel replacement, but if it was done, must have been early in it's life. The patina is all very consistent. The front sight has definitely had some work done to it. Like many old guns, would be neat if it could talk!

A34
12-31-2022, 03:01 PM
12/31/22 - Update on my little H&R. I shot a box of 50 through it the other day. It shoots high, or at least I shoot high with it. It’s very pleasant to shoot with no recoil. A little loud, you definitely need ear plugs, but not too bad without them. It was hard to see the front sight and I had to keep pointing it to the side at my white target to reacquire the front sight and then back on target. That’s due to my old eyes, not the pistol, a little bit of white paint on the front sight would help me. After a couple of cylinders, I was able to get rounds on target at 7 and 15 yards shooting offhand, left, right and both hands. At 25 yards, I missed completely. The grips are a little small for my liking. I think if I lived in the 1920’s or 30’s and wanted an EDC, I’d carry something else. 1911 Maybe?

I noticed after the first couple of cylinders that it didn’t want to work in SA mode. I had to shoot in DA mode. And at some point, one of the frame pins almost worked itself out. I noticed it towards the end of shooting and was able to push it back in. All in all, still happy I bought it. It’s a nice addition to the collection.

racepres
12-31-2022, 04:48 PM
The Sights are problematic on smaller revolvers anyway... yea, bein Old don't help me any either!!!
I use a Wild color nail polish on my front sight..kinda fluorescent orange-ish... Don't see the Color at all when using...but my eye picks it up well for some reason...

A34
12-31-2022, 05:03 PM
The Sights are problematic on smaller revolvers anyway... yea, bein Old don't help me any either!!!
I use a Wild color nail polish on my front sight..kinda fluorescent orange-ish... Don't see the Color at all when using...but my eye picks it up well for some reason...

Thanks, I'll try that!

Texas by God
12-31-2022, 09:47 PM
The home made loading gate is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A34
01-01-2023, 11:58 AM
The home made loading gate is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought it was not necessary, but I managed to lose a round from the cylinder while on the range. Not sure how I did that!

I'm not sure if it was added as a result maybe being worn out and needing it? But, I started using after losing that round and no more issues! LOL.

schutzen-jager
01-01-2023, 01:01 PM
mine are original w/o loading gate - on one occasion at range i raised the muzzle when cocking + case came partially out of cylinder causing a stoppage -

A34
01-01-2023, 01:39 PM
mine are original w/o loading gate - on one occasion at range i raised the muzzle when cocking + case came partially out of cylinder causing a stoppage -

Ahh, so it was that way from the start!

racepres
01-01-2023, 02:41 PM
At first I thought it was not necessary, but I managed to lose a round from the cylinder while on the range. Not sure how I did that!

I'm not sure if it was added as a result maybe being worn out and needing it? But, I started using after losing that round and no more issues! LOL.

I do Not recall that small cutout area being large enough to accommodate a Round, originally.. It was just an Indicator of the state of Readiness, I suspect... I also Know, from experience, that yours is Far from the only one modified slightly to use as a loading/unloading Port!!

A34
01-01-2023, 04:38 PM
I do Not recall that small cutout area being large enough to accommodate a Round, originally.. It was just an Indicator of the state of Readiness, I suspect... I also Know, from experience, that yours is Far from the only one modified slightly to use as a loading/unloading Port!!

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

schutzen-jager
01-01-2023, 04:44 PM

they are large enough on all models to load the cylinders - the size of the opening is the same on my small + large frame models they were designed for loading + not checking state of readiness -

racepres
01-01-2023, 05:19 PM
they are large enough on all models to load the cylinders - the size of the opening is the same on my small + large frame models they were designed for loading + not checking state of readiness -
Maybe yours Are... Mine, a 900 22lr, and a 632, 32S&Wlong... do Not have room to remove nor insert a Round.. I think I checked these two and found 1980's .. My boys and a couple friends have them too...Gonna pay closer attention..

schutzen-jager
01-01-2023, 06:24 PM
we are not dealing with the post war models, in this thread - all the ones talked about + pictured here are the late 1890's till pre WWII vintage models - the models you stated are completely different frames + all other components + in no way comparable by any stretch of the imagination -

racepres
01-01-2023, 06:49 PM
we are not dealing with the post war models, in this thread - all the ones talked about + pictured here are the late 1890's till pre WWII vintage models - the models you stated are completely different frames + all other components + in no way comparable by any stretch of the imagination -

So they are indeed...

pietro
01-02-2023, 05:22 PM
This has a 53,xxx serial number. Anyone have any manufacturing timeline data? I'm curious as to when it was made.

Thanks!

https://h-and-r-firearms-serial-number313.peatix.com/

A34
01-02-2023, 05:26 PM
https://h-and-r-firearms-serial-number313.peatix.com/

Thanks for posting. This site makes my anti-virus program go nuts. Have you used it before?

schutzen-jager
01-02-2023, 06:11 PM
site worked for me, but little help on older model serial numbers. but gives dates of production for the older named models -