PDA

View Full Version : Grape-Nuts

jimlj
12-18-2022, 12:37 AM
I remember having these in the 60's growing up. They were never my favorite, but Mom always had a box of them next to the corn flakes in the pantry. I can't remember the last time I seen any in the stores, and figured they were no longer made. A couple days ago I was in the grocery store and they had quite a few boxes on the shelf. A box came home with me. They are just like I remember them, only over the past 50 years my tastes have changed and I found them a nice change.

Have they always been available, or is this a new rehash of an old discontinued product? Perhaps a regional thing? I am spending the winter in the south west, first time in 64 years I haven't had to shovel snow by this time of year.

Winger Ed.
12-18-2022, 12:45 AM
I remember them. I tried 'em a couple times, It felt like I was eating rocks.

M-Tecs
12-18-2022, 01:13 AM
Target, Walmart and most store sell them around here. Same for Amazon

stubshaft
12-18-2022, 01:16 AM
Still available locally for me.

Bmi48219
12-18-2022, 01:20 AM
I liked them as a kid. They are really good sprinkled on a bowl of ice cream.

Bazoo
12-18-2022, 01:51 AM
Been available all my life, I’m 39. They used to have grape nut Os and I liked those.

M-Tecs
12-18-2022, 01:56 AM
https://www.grapenuts.com/buy-now/

Grape-Nuts cereal is officially back shipping at full capacity to stores nationwide, bringing the Great Grape-Nuts Shortage of 2021 to an end. Fans should be able to find Grape-Nuts in stores now or soon, but exact timing of on-shelf availability may vary by retailer.

DDriller
12-18-2022, 01:58 AM
I still eat them 3-4 times a week. Great source of fiber.

namsag
12-18-2022, 02:31 AM
I like them, have not had any in years though. I like to warm the milk and let them soak a bit, really good.

facetious
12-18-2022, 02:44 AM
Years ago I had heard that changed to make them easier to chew.

Haven't had them in a long time, more of a shredded wheat guy.

Thundarstick
12-18-2022, 06:05 AM
Just as soon go out and eat layer mash chicken feed!

augercreek
12-18-2022, 07:11 AM
OH COM ON Thunder, they put hair on your chest. Thats what Grandpa said!

pworley1
12-18-2022, 07:20 AM
One box was a lifetime supply for me.

Wag
12-18-2022, 08:43 AM
Yeah, you can mix them in with your shredded wheat so it's like eating hay with little rocks in it. :-)

--Wag--

ascast
12-18-2022, 09:03 AM
I like the "no snow to shovel" part.

Charlie Horse
12-18-2022, 09:25 AM
They remind me of the stuff you shake out of the bottom of your toaster. Yuk.

barnetmill
12-18-2022, 09:38 AM
Many years ago i did eat them. I skip breakfast these days. Thinking back on them, they remind of animal or fish feed.

G W Wade
12-18-2022, 09:39 AM
I liked them as a kid. They are really good sprinkled on a bowl of ice cream.

Beat me to it. Great on ice cream GW

gwpercle
12-18-2022, 10:53 AM
They have always been in production but with 6 million flavors/ brands of other cereal on the market they sometimes get crowded off the shelf .
I always liked them ... Taste like Wild Hickory Nuts ...
Who remembers Euell Gibson ?

Let them soak in the milk a few minutes ... makes them easier to eat .

My Mom had a baking recipe for Grape-Nut Banana Crunch Muffins that was very good and I enjoyed them ... I have the recipe if anyone wants it ...

Have Recipe - Will Post
Wire Gary - Cast Boolits

elmacgyver0
12-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Just as soon go out and eat layer mash chicken feed!

Haven't tried that, is it good?

Gofaaast
12-18-2022, 11:06 AM
They are an old favorite of mine. I like them with half and half after sitting about 10 minutes.

Thin Man
12-18-2022, 11:43 AM
I rather enjoy the flavor of Grape Nuts. The down side is if I bite them when they are hard, gotta use a toothpick to dig the bits out of my teeth, no fun. And as for Euell Gibbons, I always thought of him as being more than half-a-bubble off plumb. Came the day when he was pitching the idea of putting cut up yellow apple on breakfast cereal. A few days later I gave that a try just to prove he was nuts. After finishing that bowl I decided he was right. This was GOOD. Still use yellow apple on cold cereal and genuinely enjoy it.

BLAHUT
12-18-2022, 01:30 PM
They have always been in production but with 6 million flavors/ brands of other cereal on the market they sometimes get crowded off the shelf .

My Mom had a baking recipe for Grape-Nut Banana Crunch Muffins that was very good and I enjoyed them ... I have the recipe if anyone wants it ...

Have Recipe - Will Post
Wire Gary - Cast Boolits

Yes Please ??

alfadan
12-18-2022, 01:32 PM
Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

waksupi
12-18-2022, 01:46 PM
I like Grape Nut Flakes. I don't need the exercise it takes to eat plain grape nuts in the morning.

farmerjim
12-18-2022, 01:46 PM
I always thought that Grape Nuts was a physical deformity.

Thundarstick
12-18-2022, 02:57 PM
OH COM ON Thunder, they put hair on your chest. Thats what Grandpa said!

Got plenty on my chest from other manly endeavors! If it'll put hair on my head??

ddeck22
12-18-2022, 03:03 PM
They have a lot of sodium, so anyone on a low sodium diet should avoid them.

Finding cereal with no sodium is not easy, but I found some store brand shredded wheat that has 0 sodium

Thundarstick
12-18-2022, 03:05 PM
Haven't tried that, is it good?

Taste just like Grape Nuts cereal![smilie=l:

elmacgyver0
12-18-2022, 03:26 PM
Taste just like Grape Nuts cereal![smilie=l:

My neighbor has chickens, so I guess I well have to give it a try.
LOL

quilbilly
12-18-2022, 03:57 PM
Never not been available around here. I like them in spite of the cost. I soak mine for 5-10 minutes in milk before eating with frozen blueberries.

elmacgyver0
12-18-2022, 04:21 PM
Actually, I love them but don't eat them much.
If I eat more than one meal a day, I gain weight.
I need to lose about 10 pounds so I can fit into all my clothes.
It sucks but it is what it is.

fixit
12-18-2022, 04:40 PM
Knew more than one adult when I was young who called them buckshot! Couldn't stop laughing the first time I them called such.

buckwheatpaul
12-18-2022, 06:39 PM
I remember having these in the 60's growing up. They were never my favorite, but Mom always had a box of them next to the corn flakes in the pantry. I can't remember the last time I seen any in the stores, and figured they were no longer made. A couple days ago I was in the grocery store and they had quite a few boxes on the shelf. A box came home with me. They are just like I remember them, only over the past 50 years my tastes have changed and I found them a nice change.

Have they always been available, or is this a new rehash of an old discontinued product? Perhaps a regional thing? I am spending the winter in the south west, first time in 64 years I haven't had to shovel snow by this time of year.

I grew up with them as well....mom loved 'em and so did I....they have always been available down here in our neck of the woods and I still buy and eat 'em!

Springfield
12-18-2022, 07:03 PM
It's Euell Gibbons. Hated grape-Nuts myself.

bbogue1
12-18-2022, 07:10 PM
Hadn't thought of Euel Gibbons in years. Thanks to Wikipedia he has gone to the big nature garden in the sky Euell Theophilus Gibbons (September 8, 1911 – December 29, 1975). A bit hard for me and I have digesting trouble with wheat. Thanks for the memory.

Rapier
12-18-2022, 07:16 PM
Yep, to me they were tooth breakers. Just like half popped pop corn. I guess you could soak Grape Nuts for a bit then try to eat them. My grandmother used to eat grape nuts all the time with false teeth. I Tied to eat them several times, my teeth grew too close together, they just break up then jam in between the teeth.
I prefer oat meal, made with milk and real butter. Unfortunately, no sugar for me.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2022, 12:05 AM
Great in no sugar Vanilla pudding IMHO as a diabetic

dale2242
12-19-2022, 06:59 AM
OK Gary, Post the recipe for the Banana Crunch Muffins.

Buzz Krumhunger
12-19-2022, 07:36 AM
I figured out there’s no grape and no nuts in them things. FALSE ADVERTISING:kidding:

Bmi48219
12-19-2022, 11:10 AM
Grape Nuts were a step up from the corn flakes, cheerios and shredded wheat that were typically on our breakfast menu growing up. Rice Krispies were too, not so much for the flavor but the sounds they made when you poured milk on them. Mom didn’t buy sweetened cereals but on special occasions (usually Sunday mornings) she’d let us pour a little maple syrup on cheerios.
Winter fare was porridge with raisins, oatmeal, cream of wheat or occasionally my favorite, Coco Wheats. In winters on special occasions honey was substituted for maple syrup.
This thread sue brought back some fond memories. Thanks

Electrod47
12-19-2022, 01:20 PM
I remember them. I tried 'em a couple times, It felt like I was eating rocks.

Eating rocks was same for me. And if you wait til they are soaked with milk a big gob will choke you up quick.
I miss the old style shredded wheat in the big rolls. Kinda crunchy on top and soft on the bottom whem floating in milk.
My favorite "cereal" back in the day was just a half burned piece of toast floating on milk with some sugar sprinkled on top.

Thin Man
12-19-2022, 01:46 PM
I have always enjoyed most of the cold and cooked cereals. Favorite cooked cereal is Cream of Wheat. A few years ago I told my sister I could not find any source for Wheatena. Even when cooked that blend still goes down like softened sand. That year she gifted me with 2 boxes of the stuff. WAY TO GO, GIRL!

kerplode
12-19-2022, 01:57 PM
They're one of my favorites! They were difficult to find during the plandemic, but they seem to be pretty available again.

I like to heat them in the microwave...Occasionally, sprinkle on a little brown sugar or some maple syrup. Yum!

rockshooter
12-19-2022, 02:23 PM
not for folks who like a leisurely breakfast- they tend to swell faster than I can eat them
Loren

Froogal
12-19-2022, 02:46 PM
I like them, have not had any in years though. I like to warm the milk and let them soak a bit, really good.

Yes! the trick is to let them soak. Warm milk or cold, doesn't really matter.

Walks
12-19-2022, 03:07 PM
I used to eat them with warm milk and a spoonful of sugar. Alas, been a type-2 diabetic for the last 20yrs. Miss them, softened in milk. They sat
like lead in your stomach, and you didn't want to eat anything for 5-6 hours.

cwlongshot
12-19-2022, 04:01 PM
I enjoyed them in my youth. Usually with warm milk same as shredded wheat.

I bought a box last summer as I hadent had any in years. They have changed! They did not taste as I remembered and frankly I couldnt get thru the box!! Even the chickens wouldnt eat it!!!

I did find Alpine NO SUGAR and I DO ENJOY that. But need to let soak a few minutes. Have t tried earmed milk but do enjoy blue berries as a sweetener.

CW

crowbuster
12-19-2022, 09:57 PM
first time i had them as a kid thought that sure is a little box. Filled up the bowl full like i did with other cereal. Wow. never made that mistake again. had jaw cramps by the time i was dun and culdnt even think about eating lunch.

ulav8r
12-19-2022, 10:02 PM
Loved GrapeNuts when I was young but my teeth could not take chewing them now.

megasupermagnum
12-19-2022, 10:37 PM
I've tried them. I figured they were mostly used as base ingredient similar to cream of wheat. People actually eat grapenuts plain with some milk? Seems like you could just put some tree roots in a blender and be better off.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-19-2022, 10:41 PM
Buddy of mine brews beer and gives me the spent grains for animal feed. They smell just like Grapenuts!

Wag
12-20-2022, 07:46 AM
Buddy of mine brews beer and gives me the spent grains for animal feed. They smell just like Grapenuts!

Use those spent grains to make bread!

--Wag--

gwpercle
12-20-2022, 01:23 PM
Grape-Nuts Banana Crunch Muffins

makes 12 standard size muffins

Ingredients :
1 cup Grape-Nuts ceral
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 medium ripe banana's ... mashed
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla

directions:
1.) Mix flour , sugar , baking powder , baking soda and salt in a large bowl .
Beat egg in small bowl , stir in bananas , yogurt and Vanilla .
Add to flour mixture , stir just untill moistened ... batter will be lumpy ,
Stir in Grape-Nuts .
2.) Spoon batter into muffin pan , standard size , that has been well greased , fill each cup 2/3 rd's full .
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until light golden brown .
Serve warm

Okay ... I found it ! Here is my Mom's recipe ... it was hiding from me but ...got it !
This is still a good tasting , old school , blast from the past ... muffin !

I think I'm going to have to make a batch ... done went got a craving flung on me !
Gary

rockrat
12-20-2022, 02:51 PM
Grandmother liked Grape Nuts and Uncle Sam cereal. Tried Grape Nuts ONCE. Like getting a mouthful of gravel it seemed.
Much preferred Oatmeal. Nowadays, its regular oatmeal(no quick cooking stuff) and steel cut oats together. Sometimes Grits. Still like Frosted Flakes and Capt' Crunch (now and then) along with Shredded Wheat. I also miss the large rolls of Shredded Wheat. As said, crunchy on top and soaked with milk on the bottom

GregLaROCHE
12-20-2022, 03:55 PM
I ate them for years for breakfast mixed into yougart. Later I stopped eating breakfast. You can use them for a base of bran muffins.

crandall crank
12-20-2022, 08:22 PM
Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat and Grape Nuts....still eat one of them most mornings. The Grape Nuts are served hot....two minutes in a bowl of milk in the microwave. If I'm feeling like an award is earned, I add either real maple syrup or a little brown sugar. Soft on the outside and firm in the middle...yum

jmorris
12-21-2022, 09:30 AM
I ate it a lot as a kid. It does look a lot like chicken crumble feed.

WRideout
12-21-2022, 08:18 PM
There was a time when all the big cereal brands were pitching their products as "health food." When I was a boy, my mom alternated cold cereal with bacon and eggs. My doctor has got to be wrong about this healthy diet business!

Wayne

Thundarstick
12-22-2022, 06:17 AM
There was a time when all the big cereal brands were pitching their products as "health food." When I was a boy, my mom alternated cold cereal with bacon and eggs. My doctor has got to be wrong about this healthy diet business!

Wayne

Yea, do a little research into why cereals where invented, Dr Kellogg, and Adventists believes. Hint, to supress libido!
Yes, your Granny probably knew more about nutrition than your Dr.!

Battis
12-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Bowl of Grapenuts, milk, sugar, pop it in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds. Softens them and warms them up. Working on a bowl now.

gwpercle
12-22-2022, 02:19 PM
I always thought that Grape Nuts was a physical deformity.

:goodpost: Now that's Funny !

poppy42
12-22-2022, 03:46 PM
No thank you! I have enough problems with my teeth without trying to chew on food in the form of rocks! Come to think of it rocks probably taste better!

gwpercle
12-22-2022, 08:23 PM
Euell Gibbons say's Grape-Nuts ... " taste like Wild Hickory Nuts ..."
I never tasted any Hickory nuts ... I have tasted Chestnuts and Wallnuts ...
but no Hickory Nuts .
Euell wouldn't steer us wrong back in the 1970's there was a thing called Truth in Advertising ...
If you said it on TV it had to be true !
Gary

Thundarstick
12-23-2022, 08:03 AM
Wild hickory nut hulls maby, and just about as hard!

If you ever have a hickory nut pie you'll never want another pecan pie!

owejia
12-23-2022, 09:30 AM
I'll second that Thundarstick, used to pick up the nuts from scaly [shaggy] bark variety, figured out how to break them where the nuts came out in halves, good eats. They do have a unique taste.

GregLaROCHE
12-23-2022, 09:33 AM
Are hickory nuts the same as hazel nuts? If not, I don’t think I have ever tasted them, but I would like to.

WRideout
12-23-2022, 11:34 AM
Wild hickory nut hulls maby, and just about as hard!

If you ever have a hickory nut pie you'll never want another pecan pie!

Pecan and hickory trees are all carya species, and in the same family.
Wayne

Thundarstick
12-24-2022, 08:22 AM
Scale bark are the elprimo with shaggy bark next, learn what a bitter nut hickory is and avoid those! Hickory nuts from the first two trees have absolutely NO bitter astringent stuff in them as pecans do. I have a hickory nut cracker, and you can use a set of modified side cutters to nip the hull off the meat rather than pick the meat out of the hull. Works great on black walnuts as well!

Old EG shouldn't haven mentioned hickory nut and grape nut in the same sentence!

waksupi
12-24-2022, 01:17 PM
One of the hardest jobs in the world is sorting the male grapes from the female grapes to collect the nuts.

Winger Ed.
12-24-2022, 02:31 PM
One of the hardest jobs in the world is sorting the male grapes from the female grapes to collect the nuts.

I'm not a farmer, and that sounds like a lot of work.
If it was me--- I'd stick to raising grit bushes.

Stick_man
12-25-2022, 01:26 AM
They are one of my favorite cold-weather hot cereals. A half bowl of cereal, covered in milk, 2 minutes in the microwave, then topped with some maple syrup and I am happy. If I want them crunchier, I cut back on the time in the microwave. If wanting them a little softer or even almost mushy, add a little time. I don't eat them cold as cereal, but do enjoy small amounts on yogurt or ice cream.

Jedman
12-25-2022, 11:43 AM
One box was a lifetime supply for me.

Your right about that !

justindad
12-25-2022, 07:46 PM
I like grape nuts. You gotta let them soak in milk until they are at the right texture.

rintinglen
12-25-2022, 07:56 PM

Have Recipe - Will Post
Wire Gary - Cast Boolits

I remember Henry Gibson, and Euell Gibbons.