PDA

View Full Version : Caveman tactics

Bluerock2000
12-17-2022, 09:26 PM
Late last season I hit a deer high with a too hard cast HP, so had a bit of a tracking job in front of me. I didn’t have anything to mark the specks of blood a few feet apart, and found myself having a hard time determining his direction of travel. After a bit of frustrated circling, I came across a scattering of weathered deer bones. I scooped up what I could find and used them to mark blood spots. I was amazed at how I could look back with my flashlight and they lit up and marked the line, even as soiled as they were. I eventually recovered the deer using a handful of the marking bones, and have since added a few weathered and cleaned up bones to the pile. I took a grinder to the ones that weren’t already sharp enough to shove into the ground and I’m not sure I’ve found a better tool for marking and leapfrogging along a blood trail. I’ve used tape and toilet paper but hate to leave that stuff in the field, which seems to frequently happen. Once cleaned up they are hard to miss with a light on them.

Winger Ed.
12-17-2022, 09:32 PM
Interesting.

When you said caveman tactics,
I thought you were going to tell of getting a deer by hiding up in a tree, then drop down and chew its throat out.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-17-2022, 09:38 PM
Nice. Last year, we left a headlamp at the last sign. I brought marking ribbon this year, but didn’t end up needing it.

Bluerock2000
12-17-2022, 09:49 PM
Interesting.

I thought you were going to tell of getting a deer by hiding up in a tree, then drop down and chew its throat out.

Funny you said that. My son and I are building spears right now. I’m probably getting a bit old to sit in a tree with a spear but I suspect it’s in my near future.

Winger Ed.
12-17-2022, 11:15 PM
I can see a few problems with that idea.
You might be able to get 'em the old fashioned way and chase them off a cliff.

BLAHUT
12-17-2022, 11:18 PM
If in orgone or canada a spear may be your only option ????????

Bazoo
12-18-2022, 01:54 AM
Neat idea. Thanks. I’ll keep it in mind.

Course folks see ya with those in Louisiana and they figure you might cast a spell on them.

technojock
12-18-2022, 05:13 AM
If in orgone or canada a spear may be your only option ????????

For now the new crazy anti-gun law here in OR is on hold and may get tossed out. I certainly hope so, I'm too old to hunt with a spear...

Tony

pworley1
12-18-2022, 07:25 AM
Very good way to recycle.

Kylongrifle32
12-22-2022, 08:05 PM
Nice way improvise in a stressful situation.

I don't think I even own a white T-shirt now but back in the days when thats all I wore. I have come home several times from night tracking duties with the lower half of my T-shirt missing. Turned into marker flags. Then the rest of the shirt got recycled into gun cleaning rags.

scooterwrench
12-22-2022, 08:33 PM
I've ground bone before,stinky!!! How was it for you?

RickinTN
12-22-2022, 08:40 PM
Interesting.

I thought he was going to tell us of using a club to capture a woman.
Merry Christmas all!
Rick

missionary5155
12-30-2022, 03:59 AM
Sitting in a tree with a 6' spear is alot of fun. Have thrown it at one doe. If she had not rotated her body out of the flight path she would have had that long blade through her chest.

dogrunner
12-30-2022, 09:24 AM
You think that's primitive, I clearly remember when my kid brother went huntin' less any toilet paper and came home less any underwear! Seems he even cut the pockets out of his trousers as well!

Jedman
12-30-2022, 10:26 AM
Good thinking Bluerock ! Out of the natural materials you can usually find in the late fall deer woods white bones is a great choice .
Jedman

Winger Ed.
12-30-2022, 12:31 PM
You think that's primitive, I clearly remember when my kid brother went huntin' less any toilet paper

When I was 12-13, I was on a Boy Scout campout in East Texas.
One of the Scouts heeded the call of nature, and when done, reached behind himself for some leaves to finish up with.

Doing a good scrub 'back there' with poison ivy did not end well for him.

Frosty Boolit
12-30-2022, 01:38 PM
Get some deer bones from three mile island and you won't need your flashlight

versa-06
12-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Now that should leave a "Glowing Response".

TCLouis
12-30-2022, 05:10 PM
Besides the obvious use a partial roll of toilet paper in the pack makes a good material for marking a "blood" trail and back trail is easily seen.

In the desert/dry SW it may be different, but in much of the US, the TP melts into the environment fairly quickly IF one does not backtrack and pick it up