PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Spud
02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Decided to cast some 45 SWC's from new LEE 6 cav.GB mold today. On the second fill, the sprue lever broke as I was cutting the sprue. Probably my fault as I let a big sprue form. Anyone else ever have this happen? I guess this is covered by warranty, but I figure I can fix it myself for about what it'd cost to pay shipping to and from Lee to do the warranty work and save time in the bargain. Just seems like this shouldn't happen. The sprue lever is some kind of cast iron or steel. Snapped right off. What would you'all do? Money doesn't matter, just the principle.

high standard 40
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Regardless how large a puddle you pour on top of the sprue plate, you are still only cutting the six small sprues, one on each bullet. That size stays constant. I don't think puddle size had anything to do with it. Mold defect is more likely. If it is a simple fix you may attempt it. But if it goes wrong, it may void your warranty.

Charlie........

Echo
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Call Lee and tell them your tale of woe. They may send you a new one gratis...

Spud
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Calling Lee in the AM. If I have to send it back I'm just gonna fix it myself. Thanks for the help.

MT Gianni
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
It is fairly common if you don't run the mold properly. There should be a sticky somewhere on using a 6 cavity Lee. Warm the mold in the melt for 45-60 seconds. Cast the closest or furtherst hole. Pour two bullets from that hole then add a hole for 2 more pours. Continue until you are pouring all 6 holes. I reject all boolits until I am on all 6 holes but your mileage may vary. Get some Bullplate lube.

Sprue
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Probably due to a cold mold, not being up to higher temps which allows the alloy to become too hard to cut the sprue.

If that was the case the only way you can remedy or open the mold without something breaking would either be, place the mold into your pot of alloy or use a torch to melt the lead from the mold.

You need to order a replacement part.