PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lam/Luber Heater - cast iron plate?

huntinlever
12-15-2022, 02:26 PM
I'm looking to build a DIY heater for my luber, though still thinking of just using a cheap blow dryer. Can't find any aluminum plate scrap locally for the base, then it occurs to me I have an oval fish fryer in thick cast iron I'm willing to sacrifice. The only issue I see is that it's cast iron and I don't want its rusting to screw up the base of the LAM. Thoughts? Thin aluminum "skin" mounted on top of the cast iron, below the LAM base?

BLAHUT
12-15-2022, 02:34 PM
I set my lube sizer on a piece of thick tablet backer, that has been greased, and use a hair dryer when needed. I mount the lube sizer on my table saw when I need to size and lube.

Froogal
12-15-2022, 02:51 PM
Just a thought off the top of my head. Why not find a cast iron skillet and cover it with aluminum roof flashing from the building center?

huntinlever
12-15-2022, 03:27 PM
OK, thanks guys. Froogal, never thought of flashing. Good idea. The cast iron fryer I have is basically a skillet, just oval, so that would probably work.

It's this one:

G W Wade
12-15-2022, 03:47 PM
I would send you a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate if you sent me that piece of casr LOL hate to ruin good cast iron. GW

huntinlever
12-15-2022, 08:21 PM
I would send you a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate if you sent me that piece of casr LOL hate to ruin good cast iron. GW

Lol, maybe you're right. I love cast iron. Any ideas on where to look for scrap steel plate? For some reason everywhere here doesn't seem to deal in it.

Sam Sackett
12-15-2022, 08:28 PM
Might try a local machine/welding shop. Or maybe a scrapyard. They probably have a scrap in the size you need.

Sam Sackett

45DUDE
12-15-2022, 08:53 PM
One cheap way is a solder iron. When it warms up a little I turn it off and use a low watt Christmas tree bulb tied to the side. I have a heat gun also to heat in a hurry. A little over 100 degrees works for me. Winter is the only time I need the lube heater. I have 8-450's to keep warm. You can tie a night light on the side and leave it on all the time also.

poppy42
12-15-2022, 11:46 PM
Ah have fun drilling holes in a cast iron pot! Hope you got patience a slow drill and a lot of them.

Winger Ed.
12-16-2022, 12:17 AM
Check some thrift stores.
You might find some thick Alum. serving platters there. Or Alum. pots that could be cut, flattened, and layered

I got one that would work if I had such a project as yours-- and be a lot easier to cut & drill than cast Iron,,,, for 25 cents.
I originally thought it was pewter and hit the jackpot...... but you can't hit a home run every time.

imashooter2
12-17-2022, 02:01 PM
Might try a local machine/welding shop. Or maybe a scrapyard. They probably have a scrap in the size you need.

Sam Sackett

Best path right here.

lightman
12-17-2022, 03:48 PM
I have sourced lots of small metal pieces by stopping by a local welding or machine shop and asking if I could look through their scrap barrel. Mostly for free but I do give the guy that I talked to a little cash for lunch.

15meter
12-17-2022, 07:39 PM
I'm looking to build a DIY heater for my luber, though still thinking of just using a cheap blow dryer. Can't find any aluminum plate scrap locally for the base, then it occurs to me I have an oval fish fryer in thick cast iron I'm willing to sacrifice. The only issue I see is that it's cast iron and I don't want its rusting to screw up the base of the LAM. Thoughts? Thin aluminum "skin" mounted on top of the cast iron, below the LAM base?

I've got a half built aluminum plate lubrisizer heat with I think 12v heaters. Started to build it, made up a batch of Ben's Red. Don't need the heater anymore.

If I remember I'll take pictures when I'm in the shed later. Maybe just what you are looking for.

imashooter2
12-17-2022, 10:41 PM
I have a rectangle of .135 cold rolled steel screwed down to one of my benches. It is drilled and tapped for attaching several different tools. For a lube heater, I set a yard sale electric iron on the back of it.

huntinlever
12-19-2022, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Yep, I picked up a piece at a local welding shop, so we're good. 15meter, thanks too man.

Tempted by the RCBS heater, but can't justify the dough on something like this. Looks nice though.

JeffG
12-25-2022, 11:02 PM
Lol, maybe you're right. I love cast iron. Any ideas on where to look for scrap steel plate? For some reason everywhere here doesn't seem to deal in it.

If you have a metal supply near by, such as Dillon or Alro, they typically have bins of remnant aluminum stock that they sell by weight.