PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Chrony, Spotting scope?

huntinlever
12-15-2022, 12:51 PM
I guess it goes here, since it has to do with cast boolit load development. Looking for a couple tripods that won't break the bank. One, tabletop for spotting scope at the range (not the hunting grounds) and the other one for a chrony, though the chrony won't be for awhile.

Anyone know of the "BARSKA AF12652 Table Top Tripod," for $25? the "Vanguard VS-82 Tabletop Tripod" from Cabela's for $35?

metricmonkeywrench
12-15-2022, 01:16 PM
I would suggest hitting up some swap meets and yard sales, I found a tripod suitable for a studio video camera that i picked up for $25. Way overkill for the little chrony but it is rock solid and i can crank the plate up to something like 5ft. The spotting scope now sits on the bench atop a small non-adjustable tripod that's around like 10in high that i grabbed for $5. Technically its a little small but is at a good usable height and is way superior than the one that came with the scope (cheap wobbly crap).

I have no experence with either one that you have listed, so no help there

MUSTANG
12-15-2022, 01:18 PM
Advice is to go as Heavy & Ridgid as possible for Chrony and Spotting Scope Tripods.

Not sure what is available on the market now as I use 30 to 40 year old Professional Camera Tripods for both applications. Bought them overseas on the cheap during my USMC years when I did a lot of Film Photography (oh - that's right, film was the ONLY photography back them).

pworley1
12-15-2022, 01:27 PM
I used the one I had for the old 10 pound vhs camcorder. There are a lot of those around for cheap at the thrift stores and ebay.

poppy42
12-15-2022, 01:47 PM
I used the one I had for the old 10 pound vhs camcorder. There are a lot of those around for cheap at the thrift stores and ebay.
That’s a great idea! I never thought of that. I’ll have to check a few out as I am in the same boat with the OP as far as spotting scope. I will be following this post closely

uscra112
12-15-2022, 01:48 PM
Some years ago I won a heavy wooden tripod meant for a surveyor's transit for next to nothing at an auction. Won't find a deal like that every day, but keep looking.

BLAHUT
12-15-2022, 02:45 PM
I use the barrel mounter coronagraph, so don't need a stand for that. I use a offhand scope stand from match shooting for my spotting scope.

michael.birdsley
12-15-2022, 03:11 PM
Amazon and eBay have dirt cheap tri-pods. This was a couple years ago but, I believe I paid like $15 shipped for the one that my chronograph sits on. I also use it for taking deer camp group photos.

Edit; I just checked Amazon and $15 shipped with Amazon prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntinlever
12-15-2022, 03:24 PM
OK, great, will do, thanks guys. Blahut, mind of I ask which barrel chrony you use? I'd wondered if barrel blast with my GG was an issue without knowing more, but sure beats the fear out of...blowing the hell out of the tripod-mounted chrony (never did; certain I will at some point!).

-and Michael, which model on Amazon are you looking at? Thanks.

uscra112
12-15-2022, 04:12 PM
Buy cheap, buy twice.

michael.birdsley
12-15-2022, 04:14 PM
It’s called the Amazon basic tri-pod. It comes with a bag to store it in. It’s very similar to the one I have. Only issue I have with it is some times it’s finicky about staying level. Easy to adjust though if it s un-level. For the price I can deal with it though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221215/edd5aa6ae13f5145474d3789f04f6013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLAHUT
12-15-2022, 05:12 PM
OK, great, will do, thanks guys. Blahut, mind of I ask which barrel chrony you use? I'd wondered if barrel blast with my GG was an issue without knowing more, but sure beats the fear out of...blowing the hell out of the tripod-mounted chrony (never did; certain I will at some point!).

-and Michael, which model on Amazon are you looking at? Thanks.

Barrel blast has no effect and can't shoot it like others. Magnaosped just like on the big guns - 105 and bigger..

Mk42gunner
12-15-2022, 08:38 PM
Another thing you can do is to add a weight to the light pawnshop/yardsale tripod to stabilize it for chronograph use. There is nothing in the world like squeezing off a shot just as the chronograph tips over in the wind.

I used a sandbag laid over the bottom supports.

Robert

ddeck22
12-16-2022, 09:49 AM
I have a Manfrotto one, but it does break the bank. I use it for photography as well and it is very versatile. The Amazon one is pretty cheap and I have one for recording some very basic stuff with my phone and it works, but it is flimsy.

You can sometimes find Manfrotto's used, but not generally.

huntinlever
12-16-2022, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the Barska Blackhawk 18-36 x 50, with included tripod. I don't anticipate taking the 45-70 shots much past 100 yards in the field so I think this spotting scope is probably to this modest distance at the range. I remember now that the Konus I had had an included, if cheap, tripod which worked well as a tabletop, though I doubt its long-run durability. In the meantime, I'll keep eyes out for stronger, older-school tripods. Robert - lol, yeah, that could ruin a day in quick order.

-and Blahut, thanks on the info re barrel chrony's. I'd feel a lot better launching 45-70 shoulder artillery through this type of chrony, than between the light struts of a standing chrony. But that will have to be down the road.

Mk42gunner
12-16-2022, 03:18 PM
I didn't hit the chrony; how I don't know, it even worked afterwards.

It was one of the first foldout chronographs, so old that it had fiberboard aiming guides. I bought it from a retiring gunsmith. It does tend to drain 9V batteries quickly, not sure if there is something wrong with it or if they all do it.

I did learn to always have a two pack of new batteries in the box if I wanted to test very many loads.

Robert

hpbear101
12-16-2022, 04:27 PM
I needed a tripod for chronograph. Went to local Goodwill store the run about $5. Seems like they always have tripods in stock.

If they are missing the quick release plate you can order extra ones on ebay for about $6.

David2011
12-22-2022, 04:28 AM
IMO a chronograph will be fine on any tripod that’s good enough for a spotting scope. The spotting scope needs the heaviest, most rigid tripod you’re willing to buy. Due to spending many years as a professional photographer I use a Gitzo tripod. It cost a lot more than my chronograph but it’s rigid enough tripod for my small astronomy scope that’s much bigger and heavier than normal spotting scopes.

huntinlever
12-22-2022, 04:27 PM
IMO a chronograph will be fine on any tripod that’s good enough for a spotting scope. The spotting scope needs the heaviest, most rigid tripod you’re willing to buy. Due to spending many years as a professional photographer I use a Gitzo tripod. It cost a lot more than my chronograph but it’s rigid enough tripod for my small astronomy scope that’s much bigger and heavier than normal spotting scopes.

Thanks David that's good to know. The tripod that comes with the spotter is, I'm sure, weak. What do you think of the Bogen 3035 - I can get it for $30, used?

sse
12-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Check the pawn shops also. I got a couple nice ones for cheap.

Baltimoreed
12-26-2022, 01:34 PM
I rebuilt a couple junked yellow work light stands with telescoping legs to use with my chronograph. Added some solid steel bar in the lowest legs to give it weight. It will not blow over. Put a couple pieces of oak board on top for the chrony base. Camera tripods are on the light side and can blow over easily.

JoeJames
12-26-2022, 02:07 PM
I gave up on looking and did not wish to spend money ordering one; so I built one out of scrap wood in my shop. I epoxied a quarter inch bolt into the top. I cut the legs to where it would be just right when shooting off my portable bench.

uscra112
12-26-2022, 03:49 PM
Nice work!