PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old levers

ddeaton
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Lets say I would like to find an old original Win or Marlin. This would be to enjoy and shoot at times. I dont know values or calibers all that well on the old stuff. What would a popular one be for me to keep an eye out for that wont break the bank? I have a pre safety Marlin Cowboy 357 and a 39a carbine, but would like a nice metal buttplate original.:Fire:

02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't know of a good condition, unmolested, old lever that isn't expensive. Folks seem to know what they sell for and then, if they are not up on the in's and out's of the market and how condition and such affect the value, they tend to overprice them. Example, "Grandpa gave me this old Winchester sumthin er nother. I was on an auction site they had one JUST like it for 4500.00. So this one's gotta be worth at least 3500.00." Yikes!

Seriously, just go on some different gun dealer's sites and the online auction sites and see what the things are listed for or actually sell for. That's about the best guess at the market. One particular model I really like is the Winchester 92. If you can find one with a decent bore (that is subjective so caution is in order) either rifle or carbine in a caliber you like- about 1000.00 is near minimum... then goes up from there. Caliber can affect price. The 44-40 is the most popular so is usually most expensive. Same for the carbine. Carbines are more popular than the rifles. Octagon barrels are more popular than round barrels.... and so on. All that affects demand thus pricing. If I were looking for value in an old lever.... it would probably be a Win 92 in 38-40 in round barrel rifle. Additionally, if it were of later manufacture it would also command a lower collector premium and may be a better deal and have a better bore.

Marlins generally command a lower collector premium than Winchesters so that may also be an option- the older ones are very good guns! I just know more about Winchesters than Marlins. Good luck!

Jon K
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
You just have to figure out what you like, and what appeals most to you. Just like any other antique, it has to have the one quality that just draws you to it, then that's the one for you. Now...........comes the hard part, how much are you willing to spend on it? Holding out for a yesteryear price doesn't usually work out, unless you fall into a pile of dung, and come out smelling like a rose, cause somebody practially gave it away. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you sit on the fence, when you find what you really like and is everything you're looking for, but want to squeeze the buffalo til he s__ts, someone may beat you to it. Even in this tough economy prices seem to still be rising on the nice ones.

So, if you aren't thouroghly confused, you will be the more you look.

Just don't buy one wishing it were another, just cause the price was a little better, cause you'll still be wishing for the other.

Good Luck,
Jon

ddeaton
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I have already been looking and am very confused. I looked some at the last Ohio gun collectors show. A lot of originals were there, but not knowing is killer. I am willing to spend what it takes and take my time learning along the way. Get in a hurry and I will get burnt.