PDA

View Full Version : Airgun pellets for lead

gloob
12-14-2022, 09:39 PM
I have been collecting the pellets from my airgun trap/backstop for 2-3 years, now. It seemed like a decent bit of lead.

Well, I melted them down, today. Shocker. I got about 26 lbs of ingots.

That doubled my store of lead! I mostly cast rifle bullets, and 25 lbs could last me the rest of my life. I guess I'll be dusting off my pistol molds more often!

lightman
12-14-2022, 11:31 PM
Thats a lot of pellets!

BLAHUT
12-14-2022, 11:35 PM
Pellets; They melt down and make great bullets.

BJung
12-15-2022, 12:49 AM
They make great bullets. .22lr lead makes great handgun bullets too.

LenH
12-15-2022, 09:01 AM
Most pellets are swaged and have some antimony in them, not sure how much but it does have a bit. There was a video of a guy taking a tour of the H & N
factory in Germany. The lead stores were amazing and the guys said that their lead has antimony in it but it is a trade secret as to how much.
That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Rickf1985
12-15-2022, 10:33 AM
Let's see, 25 lbs. should last you the rest of your life. I have just shy of 4,000 lbs. and I am 70. I guess I really need to start selling some lead huh? Oooh look, more lead cheap!!! Got to grab that.!!!! Yea, it is an addiction.:evil:

kevin c
12-15-2022, 12:50 PM
Let's see, 25 lbs…I have just shy of 4,000 lbs…

Noobs…

;);):cast_boolits:

gloob
12-15-2022, 03:04 PM
If I had 4,000 lbs of lead, I could only come by to visit it. Because I'd lose my house trying to stock up on powders and primers!

The flex that would really make me green is "I'm sitting on 30 bricks of Wolf Primers!"

BLAHUT
12-15-2022, 03:30 PM
If I had 4,000 lbs of lead, I could only come by to visit it. Because I'd lose my house trying to stock up on powders and primers!

The flex that would really make me green is "I'm sitting on 30 bricks of Wolf Primers!"

Don't I wish ???

Rickf1985
12-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Ginex primers are starting to show up regularly at very good prices.

Charlie Horse
12-21-2022, 10:44 AM
It is an addiction. The city is digging up ancient sewer and water lines. I scrounged a few of those poured seals they used to use on cast iron pipes. They got some kind of fiber in them. Looks like course black hair.

My club has a "Free, take it" table. I couldn't believe it when I snagged the better part of a gallon of lead muzzle loader balls someone left there. I dumped the individual boxes into a gallon milk jug and they about 3/4 filled it.

Charlie Horse
12-21-2022, 10:49 AM
Let's see, 25 lbs. should last you the rest of your life. I have just shy of 4,000 lbs. and I am 70. I guess I really need to start selling some lead huh? Oooh look, more lead cheap!!! Got to grab that.!!!! Yea, it is an addiction.:evil:

I would sell some of it and buy a gun.

dondiego
12-21-2022, 08:17 PM
I would sell some of it and buy a gun.

I would just buy another gun......... and shoot it a lot.

WRideout
12-27-2022, 02:51 PM
I have been collecting the pellets from my airgun trap/backstop for 2-3 years, now. It seemed like a decent bit of lead.

Well, I melted them down, today. Shocker. I got about 26 lbs of ingots.

That doubled my store of lead! I mostly cast rifle bullets, and 25 lbs could last me the rest of my life. I guess I'll be dusting off my pistol molds more often!

I'm so sorry for your privation! Do I need to send you a hundred pounds or so?
Wayne

BLAHUT
12-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Wayne

Yes I could use some 25lbs only makes me about 350 bullets so about 3 and 1/2 days at the range.

Green Frog
12-28-2022, 08:51 PM
It's funny how our frame of references seem to vary. I talked one of my shotgun loading buddies about buying a couple of thousand primers... he laughed and said he bought his primers at least 5000 at a time! That's at least a couple of active years of shooting for me.

As for lead, I never have more than a half ton or so at a time. However, no matter how much I have, it's almost always wrong. I need pure lead for front stuffers, 25-1 pure lead to tin for schuetzen, and something a little harder for most of my revolver and pistol bullets. There was the time I cast a couple of hundred Minie Balls out of pure linotype (not intentionally, I got confused!:oops:) Now I try to predict how much I'll be shooting for the next few months and sort out the lead or alloys I'll need ahead of time.

Froggie

barnetmill
12-28-2022, 11:44 PM
Ginex primers are starting to show up regularly at very good prices.

The lowest that I am seeing is 8 cents plus shipping and all are out of stock. Maybe by next summer there will better prices.

Unis Ginex Small Pistol Primer 5,000 Count Case Nickel Cup
257-UGSPPNKL | UNIS Ginex Primers
$399.99
$0.08 Per Piece
Out of Stock

barnetmill
12-28-2022, 11:50 PM
It is an addiction. The city is digging up ancient sewer and water lines. I scrounged a few of those poured seals they used to use on cast iron pipes. They got some kind of fiber in them. Looks like course black hair.

My club has a "Free, take it" table. I couldn't believe it when I snagged the better part of a gallon of lead muzzle loader balls someone left there. I dumped the individual boxes into a gallon milk jug and they about 3/4 filled it.

The fiber might be asbestos. A standard non-laboratory field test for asbestos fibers is a lighter. Apply flame and asbestos fibers do not readily burn. Asbestos is a great material, to bad it is unhealthy. It could also be some other mineral fibers.

tobywan45
12-29-2022, 12:34 AM
Yes I could use some 25lbs only makes me about 350 bullets so about 3 and 1/2 days at the range.I'm guessing that it's a 45-70 your shooting with 500 grain boolets

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

samari46
12-29-2022, 01:04 AM
Oakum might be the fiber stuff you mentioned. Might have a tar like smell. Used it after pouring molten lead into a bell joint and this gets tamped on top. I did a joint in my folks home and since the house was built in 1928 guess the joint died of old age. Still going strong when we sold the house years ago. Frank

Rickf1985
12-29-2022, 11:22 AM
The oakum is put in the joint first and then the lead poured on top of it and then the joint is tapped down after the lead hardens. No oakum on top since there is no room. If you pour the lead first it will go down past the joint into the pipe which would be extremely bad.

fredj338
12-29-2022, 03:51 PM
I have about half that & am 66. It might last the rest of my life, but I would have to stop shooting idpa.

gloob
12-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Wayne

I have near enough for the rest of my life, already. I still ball out and buy my lead in the shape of pistol bullets, as long as the prices stay decent.

My rifles shoot bullets 130 grains and less. I can cast several thousands with the pittance of lead I already have. I don't shoot cast in autoloaders, either.