PDA

View Full Version : 9mm lube groove exposed

Freedogger
12-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Hi folks,

I've searched the web for a few days now and can't find a definitive answer to my problem so I thought I'd pick your brains. I have about 500 9mm 124 gr cast bullets with a single lube filled groove around them. Bought them online about 7 years ago, not sure where I got 'em. The bullets look a lot like the Lee MOLD 6 CAV 356-120-TC with the groove filled with blue waxy lube. Although just looking at the picture, the Lee's seem to have more lead below the lube ring. The bullets I have measure .557 high and the groove starts at .125 from the base and is about .100 wide. That leaves me about .332 of lead above the lube groove. My concern is that seating the bullet to recommended OAL leaves the lube ring completely exposed. If I seat to cover the ring then my OAL is pretty short at 1.030. I have 5lbs of Unique and tons of brass so I'd like to put all the parts together if I can get some clarification on the best way to proceed. I've seen recipes using Unique ranging from 4.0 to 5.8 in the 9mm with various OAL's so if anyone has a tried and true that they would like to share I would appreciate it. Also a clear answer on whether that lube ring needs to be covered or not... and then the crimping question comes to mind. Any guidance on that would be good too. Thanks for reading, grateful for any help.

fredj338
12-14-2022, 07:52 PM
WHo recommended that OAL? OAL is bullet & barrel specific. So no, you dont want the lube groove exposed with lube in it. Seat the bullet to just cover the lube in the groove. See if that fits your barrel. If not, seat a bit deeper. I have a Saeco mold in that weight sim design & my OAL is pretty much 1.030". Unique is a good choice for midrange & up 9mm. Try 4.5gr & work up if needed.

Hick
12-14-2022, 07:57 PM
There's nothing wrong about having the lube exposed--other that the bother of having lube on parts like the magazine if the lube is really soft. If that blue waxy lube is like some I have seen it should be no problem. As far as the crimp-- 9mm headspaces on the mouth-- so the crimp is very light-- just enough to straighten out the expanding done to seat the bullet - you don't want the case squeezed into the side of the bullet. if you are worried about not crimping enough, just try dropping the round in the chamber.

gloob
12-14-2022, 08:30 PM
I don't think it matters much.

I use 4.8 grains Unique under my 125 cast 9mm loads, loaded pretty long. I think they're shooting right near the sound barrier, because sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't.

243winxb
12-14-2022, 08:43 PM
4.1 Unique is Speers starting load for 125 gr lead. I use it. My COL is 1.045" a little shorter is ok, if some of the bullets ogive is above the case mouth. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/taurus-g3c-9mm-luger.317/
Lots of photos, with info.

Freedogger
12-14-2022, 09:15 PM
Great info folks! Thanks much.

megasupermagnum
12-14-2022, 10:15 PM
I don't think you are measuring correctly, or maybe putting the cart before the horse. Seated so the lube groove is fully exposed will be longer than most handguns will chamber. Another possibility is you are looking at OAL's for round nosed bullets. Don't do that.