PDA

View Full Version : "Warranty" on plastic ammo boxes

Land Owner
12-14-2022, 02:35 AM
I purchased "a case per caliber" or more of 20-round, 50-round and 100-round plastic ammo boxes. Time, use, and mishandling (dropped when full) have rendered some snapped hinges and broken plastic lids and bodies.

Which Mfg's (Franklin Arsenal, Cabela's, RCBS, Lee, others) are likely to replace their units...not that I feel it's their fault, but if they had offered "replacement" for cracked hinges, mfg. defects (not that I have any), "whatever", I have long forgotten.

We're talking a dozen boxes at most, differing calibers, and probably less than $100, which have been "written off" and replaced. Anybody look to the Mfg's for warranty relief on plastic ammo boxes? Is there even "such a thing" or is this like stepping on Superman's Cape?

DocSavage
12-14-2022, 05:07 AM
I ran over an MTM cartridge box they replaced it. As far as the other mfg check their website. I've had mainly MTM products for that reason.

Dusty Bannister
12-14-2022, 08:53 AM
Really heavy duty plastic tape. Know any helicopter mechanics? Abrasion tape used on the leading edge of rotor blades is pretty thick and sticks well.

metricmonkeywrench
12-14-2022, 09:25 AM
In my thinking they go under the general heading of consumable, I use them until they fail (then somtimes beyond) and then they are (sadly) disposed of and replaced. Unlike something high end like a Pelican case i expect no kind if support past the initial sale/use.

ulav8r
12-14-2022, 11:08 AM
Broken hinges are why I like slip top boxes when possible.

Moleman-
12-14-2022, 11:18 AM
I still have a bunch (never counted them, 40ish) of the MTM single piece boxes from the 80's-90's before they went to the current two piece design. I have had 2 or so of the lids come off over the years. I just pitched them and bought new ones. Had a dozen black, red, blue and green 44 mag boxes that I gave to my kid and replaced with all green ones last summer. Picked up some more rifle boxes and other pistol boxes at the same time. They're cheap for how long they last.

dverna
12-14-2022, 11:29 AM
I have 20 of the old Herters slip top cases from when I shot NRA Bullseye 50 years ago. IIRC they were $.29 each. I will never need to replace them.

cheese1566
12-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Not worth the warranty effort in my thoughts.
I use my birthday discount at Midwayusa each year to stock up if I need.
But I only use those boxes for “specialty” loads and precision rifle.

Otherwise my cast bulk loads go into reused peanut and nut jars.

BLAHUT
12-14-2022, 12:11 PM
I purchased "a case per caliber" or more of 20-round, 50-round and 100-round plastic ammo boxes. Time, use, and mishandling (dropped when full) have rendered some snapped hinges and broken plastic lids and bodies.

Which Mfg's (Franklin Arsenal, Cabela's, RCBS, Lee, others) are likely to replace their units...not that I feel it's their fault, but if they had offered "replacement" for cracked hinges, mfg. defects (not that I have any), "whatever", I have long forgotten.

We're talking a dozen boxes at most, differing calibers, and probably less than $100, which have been "written off" and replaced. Anybody look to the Mfg's for warranty relief on plastic ammo boxes? Is there even "such a thing" or is this like stepping on Superman's Cape?

I only use the true hinge boxes, dark green, forget the brand, never have needed to replace any.

Winger Ed.
12-14-2022, 12:30 PM
If they want it back before sending a new one-- the postage costs more than the retail price of a new one.

Bmi48219
12-14-2022, 12:55 PM
If they want it back before sending a new one-- the postage costs more than the retail price of a new one.

If you pulverize it into little pieces it may fit in a first-class envelope.
Years ago I purchased several dozen plastic ammo boxes made in the USA by Plano. They replaced three for broken hinges and / or lid lock tabs without requiring return of the old ones.

Reg
12-14-2022, 04:18 PM
I have 20 of the old Herters slip top cases from when I shot NRA Bullseye 50 years ago. IIRC they were $.29 each. I will never need to replace them.

Yup. Bought some at least 50 plus years ago and they are working just fine. Super model perfect and .29 each!!
😁

FISH4BUGS
12-14-2022, 04:53 PM
I use Dillon with their NO BS warranty.
They would replace them happily.
But I don't bother.
The postage is more than the boxes....simply not worth the effort.

Scorpion8
12-14-2022, 05:12 PM
What's not worth the effort is asking them to replace and item that you mistreated and broke. Do you also expect them to replace food that you consume and thus don't use of have any more? And we wonder why prices go up.

higgins
12-14-2022, 05:45 PM
I have found that some manufacturers will replace an item based on a photo of the broken item. Try that before mailing.

Tripplebeards
12-14-2022, 06:05 PM
Yeah, was thinking the same with expensive shipping having to send them back. It just cost me $74.98 Economy fed ex ground with no insurance to ship a 25” x 28” x7” fourteen pound box to Oregon for warranty Xbow repair. The bow casing me $1200 back in 2015’ so it was almost worth getting gouged for ground shipping. I shipped firearms fed ex ground for $15/$23 on average a couple times this past year! I was told because it was going to Oregon from WI I was being gouged. I’d tell you give them a call and ask to email a photo of the broke boxes. Otherwise as cheap as they are I’d use them as is or toss them.

Electrod47
12-14-2022, 06:18 PM
I consider plastic ammo boxes purchased from whoever to be used and abused at my pleasure, and disposable at the end of their reliability'
Then I just buy more. Thank Goodness there is still something in the shooting related market place that's still affordable.
About 18 months ago a guy on Ebay had 30ea Dillon Blue plastic ammo boxes for 45acp with the slip on lids for sale = 25.00 delivered.
Said they were used. I could find no evidence they had ever been used when I received them. Yeah, 70 something cents each.

FISH4BUGS
12-15-2022, 07:06 AM
What's not worth the effort is asking them to replace and item that you mistreated and broke.
That is EXACTLY the Dillon "NO BS" warranty. If it breaks, they replace it. Period.

JSnover
12-15-2022, 07:22 AM
I only use the true hinge boxes, dark green, forget the brand, never have needed to replace any.

Yep! MTM Delux.

Iowa Fox
12-16-2022, 01:04 AM

Herters had great boxes cheap and since I'm an old guy I've got a bunch of them.

I purchased some Berry's boxes and a few in the bunch had latch issues. I gave them a call to see if I returned them if they would replace them. The lady was super nice and she mailed me new replacement boxes. Since they were so good to me I'll continue to buy their boxes.

lightman
12-17-2022, 03:36 PM
I guess I never considered a warranty on a plastic box! But I've only had one ever to fail and it was my fault. It was full of ammo and I accidentally dropped it! Like the others have said, not worth the postage to send them back. It would be worthwhile if they would accept a picture.

I have a bunch of those Herters boxes. Mostly for 20 round rifle cartridges and 25 round shotshell. I have enough MYM boxes that they should send me an invitation to their company Christmas party! :-P Plano makes a nice box too.

elmacgyver0
12-17-2022, 04:17 PM
I would not even think off, let alone consider warranty replacement of such an item.
In my book they are consumable.
Guess I come from a different era.

GL49
12-17-2022, 04:34 PM
If it fails because it's my fault, I'll accept that. During the 40+ years I've used my Midway boxes, I've had one lid hinge fail. That's pretty doggone good and no way will I ask them to replace it. I've broken one other when I dropped it, that's not a problem related to the box. Haven't broken any of the Berry's boxes yet.
If I was paying 25 bucks a box maybe I should expect them to last. A couple/three/four bucks on sale? No, that's on me.

MT Gianni
12-17-2022, 09:38 PM
Kind of like returning a tape dispenser because it ran empty. @ $2.99-$4.49 each they should have a built in life span. I am sure they cost more to package and ship than make.

SSGOldfart
12-18-2022, 12:36 PM
I'm still using 45 to 50 year old boxes Midway brand. if one breaks it's my fault and not Midways just pitch the broken ones and reorder.:coffeecom

PhilC
12-20-2022, 01:33 PM
All of my MTM plastic "hinge" boxes failed, went to Berry's real hinge boxes and haven't looked back.

megasupermagnum
12-20-2022, 10:16 PM
All of my MTM plastic "hinge" boxes failed, went to Berry's real hinge boxes and haven't looked back.

The fact you wrote hinge in quotes makes me think you bought the old style without a hinge. They were just plastic that flexed. That has not been the case for a long time now. I know MTM still makes slip top boxes, but I've not seen any old style hinge ones for at least 10 years. They all have high quality hinges on them now. These new MTM boxes simply don't wear out. Unless you smash them they go forever. That's not a knock against Berry's, I'm sure they are fine, but I don't see them for sale often. Any place that sells ammo also sells MTM ammo boxes. I've seen no reason to go out of my way to buy another brand, MTM is near the top of the heap for quality today.

As for warranty, I haven't a clue. It's a $4 plastic molded box. If you break it, you buy another $4 box. What more do you need to know?